CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

it's questionable, but so are most h3 maps, they're all shit but preferring the gameplay of one shit map over another is pointless, there are reasons behind it and everyone has different reasoning for how the prefer gameplay over another.

reach didn't have sanc it was forged, any map could've been forged, the only map that was shared at launch was ivory tower, and a spiritual successor to midship. 

either way you said it had the worst maps in the series, i disagree h4 had worse, in terms of gameplay on the maps h5 is worse and in terms of overall map line-up i'd argue halo 3 was worse, h3 just had about 7 gems among their ~25 map line-up.

you also said the sniper is the 2nd easiest behind h4, i'd argue that it was the most difficult bar 3 and CE. halo 2 sniping had more depth because of the settings, map design and rate of fire, in terms of actually hitting people the h2 sniper was very easy.

you also said v7 was bad because of long killtimes, despite every game bar CE having long killtimes, killtimes aren't everything when it comes to game pace, i feel reach played faster than h5 because there was more pressure and capitalization, killtimes are irrelevant, because killtimes aren't what made halo a fast paced game in the first place.

the original argument is whether it's better than h4 or h5, though at the point it becomes a 2 page argument about what you liked more it ceases to be an argument and more a war of attrition.

Maps are opinions, and if you think Reach had the best line up in the last 10 years that's your prerogative.

Reach's sniper is definitely the easiest behind Halo 4, at high level nobody misses, ever. Huge head hitbox and a lot of aim assist + combine that with a long kill time the sniper has no hard counter.  

Killtimes aren't irrelevant, you think Halo 1 would play the same with a 1.6 second perfect kill time? Even a 4 shot pistol would change the game drastically. 

As long as 343 is in charge and/or Microsoft is pushing out unfinished games, Halo will continue to flop.

Things like launching a Halo game, 4, with no in game ranking system is mind numbing. Then they launch Halo 5 with no social playlists, making Halo 5 the least casual game I've ever been apart of. Again, mind numbing.

Furthermore, the terrible mismanagement of MCC and the complete lack of trust that instilled in even the most hardcore Halo fans. One of the best ideas possible to grow Halo before Halo 5 turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes in video game history.

The lack of ideas to actually grow Halo 5 into an eSports juggernaut other than just throwing money at it. MCC had a launch tournament that saw 50k viewers and the game barely worked. Now Halo 5 actually works and there's no launch tournament? Disheartening to say the least.

Those are some of the bigger issues that are plain moronic. Smaller issues include the lack of playlists in Halo 5. The terrible campaign and the epic false advertising that went along with it that set people's hopes way too high right out of the gate. Two objective gametypes that don't include staple gametypes like Oddball, Assault, and King of the Hill. Delaying forge and other features until after your biggest competition comes out. Spending valuable time working on the features that used to be included at launch day instead of growing the game with fresh content.

Being a video game developer is hard, I get that. But that's no excuse for the terrible mismanagement that Halo has received since 343 took over. The most simple and obvious ideas are overlooked.

I don't want to get into saying how I might do better or some of the other people here might do better at managing the Halo franchise as I have no idea what it takes to run a video game company, but damn...

Well apparently neither does 343...

The only way I can see Halo bouncing back is if H6 returns to classic Halo, and they use that as a huge marketing point to bring back some of the many players that left during Reach, while introducing some new features and custom options.

• Upvote (+1) 5

At least some good came with Halo 5 being a mess. This studio is now fully living up to their name. They are 3-for-3 on fucked up Halo games. HOORAH

Hopefully Microsoft believes in the three strikes and you're out. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wonder if Reach will have higher concurrent pop than H5...Is the counter broken? Someone said it was. If it isn't its getting 15k concurrent.

Just going to say there are much bigger competitive scenes than Halo has dreamed of that are no where near the top 10 in population. It's not impossible to get a competitive scene even when you aren't a AAA top 5 game on console.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know how we're even remotely talking about Halo 6 every now and then lol. I've already said this is for damn sure my last Halo game as long as 343 makes it. Can't deal with supporting these developers anymore. Ruined my favorite franchise and then had the audacity to release MCC and leave it a broken mess throughout the entirety of it's lifespan. 

I'll be damned if these people receive another dollar from me.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Just going to say there are much bigger competitive scenes than Halo has dreamed of that are no where near the top 10 in population. It's not impossible to get a competitive scene even when you aren't a AAA top 5 game on console.

To be fair, some of those games (fighters in particular) have a strong grassroots community dating back for at least 15+ years. We don't have that lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If you want a classic Halo game, you need to go find it somewhere other than a AAA studio, where the publishers are not in it for money, but for the love of Halo (Project Contengency for example).

Acceptance is a beautiful thing...

PC has sprint.They sure got that classic halo locked down.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"garbage pistol" lol

We went from some decent meaningful discussion to hyperbolic trash now, fellas.

gabage as in ineffective -> not a utility weapon

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I... Think? CEA playlists may have been TU'ed.

Correct. CEA magnum had 85%bloom + bleedthrough = TU settings

I don't see this franchise recovering under 343. If I were Phil Spencer, I'd clean house and individually hire as many people as possible who had big parts in making Halo CE - Halo Reach(minus the AA devs lol), and task them with developing a classic Halo game. The focus should be on quality. Maps, shooting mechanics, physics, art style, UI, ranking system, etc.

I think the real truth here is that Halo just isn't popular any more for plenty of reasons.

I think the best thing 343 could do with the franchise is move it to PC and allow the community to flesh it out with content much like Valve has done with Counter Strike and DOTA 2.

There's definitely an empty market for this sort of game on PC.

343 could put all their effort into the campaign and expansions while the community handles the creation of multiplayer assets, mods, mutators, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I don't understand how so many here act like the game is a completely awful failure.

The issues with it are so small relative to problems we've had in the past.

- We need some minor weapon tweaking/balancing.

- We need some social playlists and some adjustments to party restrictions and settings in ranked.

- We need a few more maps and modes.

All of these are very easily attainable. We know more maps are coming and new modes seem fairly likely as well. 343 have commented on the need for social so that's likely coming too. There's also no reason to believe a weapon balance patch won't come, they did it with both Reach and 4.

The base game we've been given is really solid, it just needs some tweaking. In terms of a making a good game, I'd say 343 have succeeded.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The DMR in this game is by far the easiest precision weapon to use by a mile.

On another note when do they reset the ranks?

Things I'm interested in

Removing radar from competitive, adding better maps to multiplayer, improving playlist selection, forge community thriving. But overall I think Halo 5 needs to be marketed a lot more after DLC. I think UI updates would be a good idea. The current form the UI isn't exactly a social style like Halo: Reach, it feels more concealed. Being able to spam party invites to a larger view of the friends list is cool but I feel more isolated coming into the menus not being able to see what games people are playing and their availability. 

The only way I can see Halo bouncing back is if H6 returns to classic Halo, and they use that as a huge marketing point to bring back some of the many players that left during Reach, while introducing some new features and custom options.

Agree. We need at least solid gameplay (like v7 or better) and some really massive features. It's just so incomprehensible how every game after Reach had less of these than its predecessor. They also need to take their time, at least four years in my opinion. 343 has lost a lot of faith even among casuals.

Agree. We need at least solid gameplay (like v7 or better) and some really massive features. It's just so incomprehensible how every game after Reach had less of these than its predecessor. They also need to take their time, at least four years in my opinion. 343 has lost a lot of faith even among casuals.

How can Bungie take 3 years to deliver a game with more features, but 343 needs more than four, and just take their time.

How can Bungie take 3 years to deliver a game with more features, but 343 needs more than four, and just take their time.

Coz 343 only wants more $$ ?
  • Downvote (-1) 3

I hate to say it but this thread has slowly become cancer ... to all the people jerking each other off about how terrible H5 is; maybe just Alt+F4 and go LAN H1 or something? We've heard your opinion, repeatedly; maybe it's time to move on from the franchise, as it seems to be creating too much drama and pain in your life

Oops, accidental +rep. I meant to neg you.

Your opinions are bad and so are you.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't understand how so many here act like the game is a completely awful failure.

Being good and being successful are quite different though.

It's hard to see the game being hugely successful with current sales and population. They can make tweaks and release content that makes it an outstanding game but without the numbers it's not going to mean much.

My concern is that it leads to 343 somewhat abandoning support for the game. MCC had similar statistics and it felt like they gave up trying to fix it (I'm not sure of its current state but there were massive gaps and delays in updates).

They've invested a lot into Halo 5 so I'm not sure I see that happening. It just wouldn't be overly surprising.

I think the real truth here is that Halo just isn't popular any more for plenty of reasons.

Thats such a cop out for a developer who has damaged a brand repeatedly for multiple years to the point that it is clearly visible in the Halo 5 launch sales.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1