CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Halo 1 defaulted to plasma pistols on more than half the maps, what kind of argument is that? Because it wasn't vanilla it doesn't count?

Halo CE didn't have matchmaking. You could play whatever you liked.

Every other Halo had vanilla settings forced upon the population in matchmaking.

The H2 Sniper is easy to use, but it's hard to position yourself to be a good sniper. Halo 2 has fast kill times and a easy sniper, Halo Reach has long kill times and a easy sniper. The sniper is to easy to use and the long kill times don't punish a sniper user. Close range BR fights in Halo 3 were infinitely better than the spam fights of close range Reach. 

Halo 3 had some shit maps, no disagreement but I'd rather play Ghost Town than SwordBase. There's also a few gems like citadel. I don't know what constitutes a "competitive BTB" map. Reach also had the most forge maps in MLG because the disk maps were awful. 

I'm not sure what you're saying about kill times? None of the Halo's share the same pace as Halo 1, at all. Not even close. Halo 1 has a lot more going for it than kill times. 

maps used in BTB.net customs, it's niche but it's a thing. just a little more spice to what halo fun, diversity.

the point was easy to use not its potential in game, h2 is easier to hit shots with, positioning is because of map design, not weapon mechanics.

i equally hated both h3 BR and bloom dmr so both were loathsome to use, in my experince anyway

reach had the most forge maps because it had the least 4v4 viable maps on launch, just countdown and zealot, a case was made for powerhouse, but far too late unfortunately

ghost town was one of the better ones though, i'd rather play swordbase than orbital, epitaph, isolation, snowbound, cold storage, blackout, last resort, valhalla, or default foundry. 50/50 on highground too.

you mentioned the kill times being slow, i argue that all halo games average kill times have been slow, in CE with the 0.6 second killtime you ould think it was fast paced, though CE was a dynamic game, unlike 5 where it's easy to get perfect and near perfect kills and has little outplay / back and forths of CE. in terms of structured gameplay i feel 343 halo plays slow, because the movement options make for less pressure. it's less dynamic and more 'adrenalized but slower paced.

Woohoo, get onyx in placement matches, get a couple wins in a row and now I cannot get games at all.

Not a lot of people playing H5 anymore

Wait didn't the cea magnum have bloom? How could you 3 shot from across the map holding down the trigger?

Wait didn't the cea magnum have bloom? How could you 3 shot from across the map holding down the trigger?

RNGesus

Or people just not understanding that perfectly timed has the exact same fire rate of full auto without the bloom.

It had spread if you held the trigger. If you fired each shot individually, there'd be no spread.

maps used in BTB.net customs, it's niche but it's a thing. just a little more spice to what halo fun, diversity.

the point was easy to use not its potential in game, h2 is easier to hit shots with, positioning is because of map design, not weapon mechanics.

i equally hated both h3 BR and bloom dmr so both were loathsome to use, in my experince anyway

reach had the most forge maps because it had the least 4v4 viable maps on launch, just countdown and zealot, a case was made for powerhouse, but far too late unfortunately

ghost town was one of the better ones though, i'd rather play swordbase than orbital, epitaph, isolation, snowbound, cold storage, blackout, last resort, valhalla, or default foundry. 50/50 on highground too.

you mentioned the kill times being slow, i argue that all halo games average kill times have been slow, in CE with the 0.6 second killtime you ould think it was fast paced, though CE was a dynamic game, unlike 5 where it's easy to get perfect and near perfect kills and has little outplay / back and forths of CE. in terms of structured gameplay i feel 343 halo plays slow, because the movement options make for less pressure. it's less dynamic and more 'adrenalized but slower paced.

Reach and Halo 2 share some maps, such as sanctuary. The Sniper balance has more to do with mechanics than map design. 

Swordbase over anything is questionable. 

Halo CE is fast paced, it's the fastest Halo to date. There's no waiting around (except maybe on damnation), you're always active doing something. 

You guys ever think Halo is just a dead game, no matter what happens?

If they go back to basic Halo, they lose all the youner gamers who prefer instant gratification COD games.

If they change gameplay to attract casuals, they lose the hardcore fans, and the casual players will play for a few weeks and move along to a different game.

Old style Halo is dead on consoles, and casual games hold population for a month or two, then drop off to irrelevance.

I've never been one to start the "Halo is dad" shit, but I honestly think Halo is done. No matter what route they take, casual or competitive, there is no winning. Halo is little more than a game meant to squeeze every last dollar out of people, rather than a game desperate to keep growing.

So long as any AAA studio continues to pump out Halo games, the game will never come close to what it once was. This is exclusively due to the issues you raise being the chief drivers. So long as big money is involved, there will never be a classic halo published. I cite the following article by our very own @@Hard Way as the basis for this conclusion. 

http://teambeyond.net/problem-todays-shooters/

If you want a classic Halo game, you need to go find it somewhere other than a AAA studio, where the publishers are not in it for money, but for the love of Halo (Project Contengency for example).

Acceptance is a beautiful thing...

• Upvote (+1) 2

It had spread if you held the trigger. If you fired each shot individually, there'd be no spread.

not the og magnum, the anniversary magnum, it's reticle bloomed out in reach right?

The same way you get a 5 shot spamming the full bloom DMR across the map, 

The same way you get a 5 shot spamming the full bloom DMR across the map,

Edit: saw you were talking about CEA not CE

Reach and Halo 2 share some maps, such as sanctuary. The Sniper balance has more to do with mechanics than map design. 

Swordbase over anything is questionable. 

Halo CE is fast paced, it's the fastest Halo to date. There's no waiting around (except maybe on damnation), you're always active doing something. 

it's questionable, but so are most h3 maps, they're all shit but preferring the gameplay of one shit map over another is pointless, there are reasons behind it and everyone has different reasoning for how the prefer gameplay over another.

reach didn't have sanc it was forged, any map could've been forged, the only map that was shared at launch was ivory tower, and a spiritual successor to midship. 

either way you said it had the worst maps in the series, i disagree h4 had worse, in terms of gameplay on the maps h5 is worse and in terms of overall map line-up i'd argue halo 3 was worse, h3 just had about 7 gems among their ~25 map line-up.

you also said the sniper is the 2nd easiest behind h4, i'd argue that it was the most difficult bar 3 and CE. halo 2 sniping had more depth because of the settings, map design and rate of fire, in terms of actually hitting people the h2 sniper was very easy.

you also said v7 was bad because of long killtimes, despite every game bar CE having long killtimes, killtimes aren't everything when it comes to game pace, i feel reach played faster than h5 because there was more pressure and capitalization, killtimes are irrelevant, because killtimes aren't what made halo a fast paced game in the first place.

the original argument is whether it's better than h4 or h5, though at the point it becomes a 2 page argument about what you liked more it ceases to be an argument and more a war of attrition.

I will say, even though I still find enjoyment in this game, since the day I got it I felt it was soulless, and 343 has a serious problem with this, putting life into the games they make. The lack of diversity, low content, shit story all contribute to the game being a shell, halo 4 was like this because of the liberties it took with gameplay and music, it was just antithetical in so many ways, halo 5 is much more of a halo game, but still suffers from the same problem, albeit for different reasons.

For H4 the excuse was "loadouts/sprint/descope", for H5 its content/aim/automatics". Honestly, I think the problems go a lot deeper than that. Halo had it's own personality, its own art style, its own overall feel. That feeling is so far gone with 343 that their games are virtually unrecognizable as Halo games and no amount of added content/aim correction/ar nerfing is going to fix it. When I think of the shear number of bizarre decisions 343 makes with this franchise (faux ADS, wtf?) it just blows my mind. How does that crap even make it past the knee slapping snicker stage?

People on this board have said it before but someone with decision making authority at 343 has an ego problem that forces them to try to make the game their game instead of the fan's game. They don't want to be caretakers- they want the glory of creating a new phenomenon - beating their Bungie masters.

It isn't going to happen. Just give it up and make a Halo game. Why not try it - your way has failed so far.

i played battlefront at a mates place, i didn't want to buy it because i thought it would be battlefield with a star wars skin, it definitely feels battlefield-esque, much more battlefield than battlefront imo. 

however it's a little unnerving when a dice game, an EA game feels more like the source material from a game 10 years old, than h5 does, made by a company tasked with continuing the halo franchise.

It's garbage in relation to the sandbox of H5.

Yeah I get that, but in Halo 5 I actually feel like I have a fighting chance as soon as I spawn. Halo hasn't felt that way in a long, long time. But that's not nearly enough to save the game. You are correct, the sandbox sucks and messes with the pistol's place in it. The maps being garbage is the biggest issue for me. The lack of playlists, especially social playlist is probably the second biggest problem IMO. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

As long as 343 is in charge and/or Microsoft is pushing out unfinished games, Halo will continue to flop.

Things like launching a Halo game, 4, with no in game ranking system is mind numbing. Then they launch Halo 5 with no social playlists, making Halo 5 the least casual game I've ever been apart of. Again, mind numbing.

Furthermore, the terrible mismanagement of MCC and the complete lack of trust that instilled in even the most hardcore Halo fans. One of the best ideas possible to grow Halo before Halo 5 turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes in video game history.

The lack of ideas to actually grow Halo 5 into an eSports juggernaut other than just throwing money at it. MCC had a launch tournament that saw 50k viewers and the game barely worked. Now Halo 5 actually works and there's no launch tournament? Disheartening to say the least.

Those are some of the bigger issues that are plain moronic. Smaller issues include the lack of playlists in Halo 5. The terrible campaign and the epic false advertising that went along with it that set people's hopes way too high right out of the gate. Two objective gametypes that don't include staple gametypes like Oddball, Assault, and King of the Hill. Delaying forge and other features until after your biggest competition comes out. Spending valuable time working on the features that used to be included at launch day instead of growing the game with fresh content.

Being a video game developer is hard, I get that. But that's no excuse for the terrible mismanagement that Halo has received since 343 took over. The most simple and obvious ideas are overlooked.

I don't want to get into saying how I might do better or some of the other people here might do better at managing the Halo franchise as I have no idea what it takes to run a video game company, but damn...

Yeah I get that, but in Halo 5 I actually feel like I have a fighting chance as soon as I spawn. Halo hasn't felt that way in a long, long time. But that's not nearly enough to save the game. You are correct, the sandbox sucks and messes with the pistol's place in it. The maps being garbage is the biggest issue for me. The lack of playlists, especially social playlist is probably the second biggest problem IMO.

Yup, the game has massive issues beside weapon balance. I've said before that pistol starts are basically in between smg starts and utility starts if past Halos. So yes it is definitely better than most past Halos starting weapons but it definitely needs work. Having no social playlists is the main reason I don't play often because all my friends are bad so we can't play arena together. And if I try by myself I get a full team and it's annoying. So many questionable decisions.

Anyone have a link detailing the aim fix that's coming in December? I thought I read that they already fixed the diagonal aiming issue, but there's another aiming update coming out, right?