CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You forgot player retention, especially in the weeks following launch - sort of extremely important.

I remember hating Reach at first. The 100% bloom, the OP armor lock, the terrible game types in BTB, and having Countdown in BTB.

With the title update, it's as if they read my mind:

- 85% bloom felt amazing

- armor lock and camo nerfed

- Countdown(an armor locking nadefest) was removed from BTB

- headhunter, swat, stockpile(all horrible, at least for Big Team) removed from BTB

- neutral bomb and assault added to BTB

So with that update, I started playing it non-stop. 343 had a good start to their Halo reign with this update, so what happened? lol

And that's the worst thing when it comes to 343s game design skills, they started out solid, and then made halo 4...

All this talk about Reach and Halo 4 and Halo 5, comparing vanilla settings but no one is talking about the game with the best vanilla settings since CE...

CE ANNIVERSARY

Yeah, I get it - it was no CE. But ANNIVERSARY CLASSIC beats the hell out of H2, H3, HR, H4 and H5 in terms of default settings.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And that's the worst thing when it comes to 343s game design skills, they started out solid, and then made halo 4...

The 4, oh god. My honeymoon phase didn't even last 2 days. I remember feeling physically ill the day after it came out, almost in a panic over what the hell I was going to play because there was no way in hell I could tolerate that piece of garbage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm sorry, but I don't see the reasoning of comparing Default Reach to Default H5 and saying that Reach's gameplay was better and "more Halo."

Reach went even farther away from the Halo formula. It had loadouts. It had Armor Abilities. It had Bloom. It had the slowest base movement in Halo history. It had some of the worst maps in the beginning lineup (Boardwalk, Swordbase, Uncaged, Powerhouse, the awful remakes). It had slow weapon timers, a weak sandbox, an even weaker Utillity Weapon (lol Bloom DMR)...

I can understand what Reach brought later in its debut, and its ability to create more custom content. But saying what it began with is better than what H5 has?

Ridiculous.

are you trying to convince people that boardwalk and powerhouse are worse than fathom, rig, regret, empire, orion, pegasus and plaza? maybe some of the h5 maps would play better with different settings, however the settings are what they are and with the h5 settings they all play poorly

also slow base movement speed is bad but the game it succeeded, halo 3, wasn't much better

bloom was only slightly worse than h3 BR spread and was worse at long range.

i still feel h3 had a weaker sandbox, the rockets were stronger than h3, the sniper wasn't as good but still functional, the shotgun was stronger, PP was more useful and reach had the grenade launcher, if bungie didn't balls up the balancing we might of had the concussion rifle and focus rifle too, oh well.

in reach i could jump into BTB, team snipers, team doubles, a playlist with community made maps, slayer, infection, multi-team, grifball, FFA nearly all from the get go + firefight and a better campaign. 

threeshotpistol may be elitist, however even CE had more opportunity for social gametypes than h5 has, CE:PC was there purely to flesh out the casual experience even more.

loadouts aren't even much of a problem considering most of the movement options we spawn with would be considered separate loadouts in reach and now there's like 5 different utility weapons and 3 automatics that have little outplay.

in h5 all i play is slayer and arena on shit maps with settings i hate, at that point it's subjective because i'd rather take the lumps of reach, namely bloom, sprint, jetpack and armour lock than have to deal with the fundamental problems of h5 namely ground pound, sprint, slide, spartan charge, thruster on spawn, clamber, map design, lack of gametypes, lack of playlists, no personality, poor UI, poor theater.

i guess i'd rather play reach more than h5 because it's less chaotic, i had more control in reach, h5 i find the hardest to carry and be a presence in the game, i'll be mvp but not feel like my actions had as much impact or weight, the opposite to what i found in CE and to a lesser extent h2, reach and h3.

• Upvote (+1) 7

CE ANNIVERSARY

You should play it with me. It's a playlist I'd play if I had people to play it with. I still need to onyx/max out my sidearm commendation.

You should play it with me. It's a playlist I'd play if I had people to play it with. I still need to onyx/max out my sidearm commendation.

I would get on right now if I still owned a 360. Now it's just pray for backwards compatibility.

Did I miss something on people liking Reach? Swordbase games ending 8-6 crouching for 15 minutes, easiest sniper in the series behind Halo 4 (long kill times, huge head hitbox), 100% random utility weapon, worst maps in the series, armor lock, jetpack and I can go on. Did we play the same Reach? 

V7 settings aren't even that great (long kill time, piss easy sniper, awful movement acceleration). The only way I could stomach that game is Gold Pro, and the community that still does customs on reach won't play anything unless it's named MLG Sanctuary. I remember playing GP customs with beyond and people were moaning about getting killed by a shotgun and asking if we could play MLG Sanc. Smh

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All this talk about Reach and Halo 4 and Halo 5, comparing vanilla settings but no one is talking about the game with the best vanilla settings since CE...

CE ANNIVERSARY

Yeah, I get it - it was no CE. But ANNIVERSARY CLASSIC beats the hell out of H2, H3, HR, H4 and H5 in terms of default settings.

The long weapon/power up spawn times and being able to hold the trigger on the pistol down across hang em and 3 shot someone really put a sour taste in my mouth. It's a terrible CE remake, but if Reach launched as Anniversary Classic it would of been an all around better game. 

The long weapon/power up spawn times and being able to hold the trigger on the pistol down across hang em and 3 shot someone really put a sour taste in my mouth. It's a terrible CE remake, but if Reach launched as Anniversary Classic it would of been an all around better game.

No game since CE has had a better starting weapon with vanilla settings.

H2 - SMG

H3 - AR

HR - DMR

H4 - FUCKING ANYTHING APPARENTLY

H5 - GARBAGE PISTOL

I'll take the CEA pistol thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

There are more people playing the rainbow six beta than halo 5 lmao

really? pic's

yeah, just read that past 40+ pages, 343 never coming to post here until this Dec update even if they decide too. The honeymoon phase is Dead indeed.   

I come back after over 3 weeks and I have noticed Team dubs has been replaced with something called rumble rockets. can someone explain before I take 70 advils? thank you :)

I come back after over 3 weeks and I have noticed Team dubs has been replaced with something called rumble rockets. can someone explain before I take 70 advils? thank you :)

You know what would kill quicker than seventy advils? Thirty six A single Rockets Only match on Regret.

Prepare to get reamed raw to the core just figuring out where the hell you're supposed to go after respawning...

Yeah more people voted for that shit can you believe that?

"garbage pistol" lol

We went from some decent meaningful discussion to hyperbolic trash now, fellas.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 10

Did I miss something on people liking Reach? Swordbase games ending 8-6 crouching for 15 minutes, easiest sniper in the series behind Halo 4 (long kill times, huge head hitbox), 100% random utility weapon, worst maps in the series, armor lock, jetpack and I can go on. Did we play the same Reach? 

V7 settings aren't even that great (long kill time, piss easy sniper, awful movement acceleration). The only way I could stomach that game is Gold Pro, and the community that still does customs on reach won't play anything unless it's named MLG Sanctuary. I remember playing GP customs with beyond and people were moaning about getting killed by a shotgun and asking if we could play MLG Sanc. Smh

i guess i had a different experience to other people, i no-lifed h2, h3 and reach, across MM and customs i had over 10,000 games in each, got close to that with CE:PC. i played swordbase more than most people and i'd say games like that happened less than 5 times, guess i was lucky or something, in comparison around a third of my adrift games in h4 would of ended before someone could reach 30 kills if i couldn't take that shit and decided to run in and try to alter the pace of the game.

from my experience i find the h2 sniper and the h5 sniper easier than the reach sniper, it's just h3 and CE that were more difficult, h3 br was more random as it could land anywhere in the reticule and at long distances that could be a wide range, in reach it got less accurate in succession, it was aids though i'd contest that h3 br was more random,

worst maps in the series? every non-competitive map (for both 4v4 and btb) in h3 was horrible, h4 only had skyline and haven the rest were bad, h5 only has truth, eden and colosseum really, even that's a push. 

guess we didn't play the same reach, from my perspective it was far and away the weakest bungie halo, though to consider it the low-point of the franchise when we had 

- dead in 3 months, no options, more randomness the game

- 2 marketing tools for the new OS 

- one of the worst launches in modern gaming

- game that releases with less than half the content but still full priced and veering further from the halo style

as possible contenders that's a stretch imo

everyone keeps talking long kill times, watch the 4 horseman or some of the videos missingno put out, then watch H2 mlg, then h3 mlg, then reach mlg, then h4 tournaments, then h5 pro gameplay..pay attention to the pace. halo CE isn't slow, but it isn't the same kind of fast that h5 is, CE has a more dynamic pace.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hope it does, but not ranked.

Wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a non ranked set of playlists, separate from Warzone, similar to Halo 3.

Wanna get your guys opinion for this. For the next halo do you think 343 still goes with their way of halo to basically kill the franchise for h6,  or do you think we go out with a bang (considering its the last one) with more classic halo for h6?

Wanna get your guys opinion for this. For the next halo do you think 343 still goes with their way of halo to basically kill the franchise for h6,  or do you think we go out with a bang (considering its the last one) with more classic halo for h6?

Highly doubt Halo 6 will be the last one.

"garbage pistol" lol

We went from some decent meaningful discussion to hyperbolic trash now, fellas.

Let's compare it to utility weapon from other games - basically the same kill time but much harder to use and less range.

Garbage.

Let's compare it to other weapons in Halo 5 - is there any weapon less useful or lethal? Nope.

Garbage.

Being "skillful" doesn't make up for being useless or we would have been arguing for sentinel beam starts in Halo 3. Keeping that reticle on a moving target takes skill man.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think a big reason why people aren't playing is the maps, we have 4 decent ones, fathom, truth, Eden and coliseum, and all the others minus regret look the damn same.