CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

There is something magical to go back on Halo 3, even in broken MCC. It feels like old buddy that is slower and yes broken few bones(looking at MCC) but still welcomes you back. Unlike Halo 5 that feels like some marketing person that speaks fast, has some interesting and right things with him but afterall is boring, uninspired.

You described it perfectly. Halo 5 is soulless. After a few weeks I am not only bored but I actually rage quit today for the first time ever and broke my headset. It was not the fucking AR party that made me do it, that only pushed me over the ledge today. After thousands of hours of joyfull Halo gaming I just reached the limit. I can´t keep lying to myself and pretend to like it. 343 finally succeeded to kill Halo (for me).

I'm sorry, but I don't see the reasoning of comparing Default Reach to Default H5 and saying that Reach's gameplay was better and "more Halo."

Reach went even farther away from the Halo formula. It had loadouts. It had Armor Abilities. It had Bloom. It had the slowest base movement in Halo history. It had some of the worst maps in the beginning lineup (Boardwalk, Swordbase, Uncaged, Powerhouse, the awful remakes). It had slow weapon timers, a weak sandbox, an even weaker Utillity Weapon (lol Bloom DMR)...

I can understand what Reach brought later in its debut, and its ability to create more custom content. But saying what it began with is better than what H5 has?

Ridiculous.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also nerf the damn automatics. I've said it so many times it's just annoying now. Glad they have the ability to tune weapons quickly and they aren't using it.

I play Warzone almost exclusively and it's insane how far the AR can melt you from. A few times I've lost my shields and been like "what the hell was that??" and it's some guy standing in a base shooting me with an AR.

I play Warzone almost exclusively and it's insane how far the AR can melt you from. A few times I've lost my shields and been like "what the hell was that??" and it's some guy standing in a base shooting me with an AR.

Yup I play a lot of Warzone as well and it's crazy. You can basically cross map with the stock AR, and with all the variants it gets even worse.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the reasoning of comparing Default Reach to Default H5 and saying that Reach's gameplay was better and "more Halo."

Reach went even farther away from the Halo formula. It had loadouts. It had Armor Abilities. It had Bloom. It had the slowest base movement in Halo history. It had some of the worst maps in the beginning lineup (Boardwalk, Swordbase, Uncaged, Powerhouse, the awful remakes). It had slow weapon timers, a weak sandbox, an even weaker Utillity Weapon (lol Bloom DMR)...

I can understand what Reach brought later in its debut, and its ability to create more custom content. But saying what it began with is better than what H5 has?

Ridiculous.

Cmon now, powerhouse and boardwalk aren't that bad of maps

I've just seen Heinz pull off some sort of Sprint-Thrust-Slide-Jump Combo to zoom across arena maps. It's crazy fast. Anyone here know how to do this? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I've just seen Heinz pull off some sort of Sprint-Thrust-Slide-Jump Combo to zoom across arena maps. It's crazy fast. Anyone here know how to do this? 

Sprint, Slide, Jump, Thrust is what I do. Thought I saw him doing the same earlier.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The honeymoon phase is finally over thank god, i have been waiting for people to wake up and see how bad this game is. Welcome back everyone. :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Sprint, Slide, Jump, Thrust is what I do. Thought I saw him doing the same earlier.

No he does a sprint, thrust, slide as well. Seen it this morning. He does it quite often, think he's streaming now if you wanna check?.

Ed; yeah he's on, does it pretty much every re spawn.

I get the same feeling with halo 5 that I did with halo reach. "it could be a good game but reasons."

Frustrating.

The aiming in this game is the biggest turn off honestly. I would play through limited content and teams of 4 if the aiming was normal. But nooooooooo somehow 343 managed to fuck up the simplest aspect of Halo and that's the aiming system. Why the hell did they change the aiming. WHY. I ask this question every single day and I am always confused as to why they did this. 5 minutes of playing and this was the biggest complaint people had. Sorry pro team but this aiming is not superior at all. And instead of trying to fix it as soon as possible they say that "maybe you'll be able to tune stuff in December." YAY 3 months after launch just to enjoy looking around in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. This is literally the one aspect of Halo I never thought I would complain about. I never even had a problem with Halo 3's aiming. They used Halo 3 aiming as a baseline and then went apeshit and accentuated it 300%. This sustain thing is the stupidest shit I have ever heard of and it's gonna be the death of this game. That and the blatant disregard of the hardcore Halo fans by completely changing the foundation of the game. Black Ops 3 has better weapon balance than this game.

Also nerf the damn automatics. I've said it so many times it's just annoying now. Glad they have the ability to tune weapons quickly and they aren't using it.

What baffles me even more is that they added all these insane options for custom games that allow us to change so many different things, but they couldn't even allow us to choose the aiming style we prefer. FFS, Halo 1 came out in 2001 with the 1-10 sensitivity options and preset button layouts AND WE'RE STILL FUCKING USING IT IN 2015. Yeah, ok, they added a few different presets, but where the fuck are our options?

If the pro team were convinced the aiming was messed up why the hell did they have to change it from the beta for EVERYONE when NO ONE complained about it? Simple option:

Aiming style: Modern / Classic

343, that took me zero effort to think of, CAN I HAZ JOB NAOW?

It's so obvious that none of the pro team have ever actually played a proper PC game for more than 10 minutes.

Where's our advanced sensitivity options? 3.5? 8.2? 4.1?

On PC I can make a ridiculous change like 5.5555559 with raw input, no aim acceleration on 1600DPI. Yeah, I get it, obviously PC needs to give players more customisation with different hardware, etc, but still...

On Halo I can choose if I want 3 or 4...

No options for aim acceleration.

No options for horizontal / vertical sensitivity

No options for sensitivity whilst aiming down sight

If these sorts of options aren't on PC people just straight up don't play the game, yet here we are on Xbox with the flag ship title that is supposed to save this console using the same options for input that we were more than a decade ago.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Maybe custom lobbies will become a thing when Forge hits. I'm really burned out on the current game. Being forced to choose between tryhard 24/7 or the same 3 Warzone maps all day has gotten dull, and I haven't played the game in a few days because of this.

Nobody plays customs because there's no real reason to when nobody wants to play no sprint, and there aren't enough options aside from that to make a different experience from matchmaking. Let's not get into Reqs. Hopefully a constant stream of new content will incentivise people to get into customs.

Sometimes I wonder if this was the original plan; to gimp options and remove Forge at launch in order to funnel people into matchmaking and make them play what 343 wants them to play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should add more immersion. I heard that would fix the game.

In Halo 6 you'll be able to sprint even harder.

• Upvote (+1) 1

At what point do we stop saying "they needed more time", when maybe its poor time management/poor allocation of staff? They had a working beta in December of last year!! 3 year dev cycles are there to release a finished product.

At what point do you stop saying its poor management, poor execution, poor planning, poor marketing, and call it pure incompetence?

The 343hires were trotted out in a video emphasizing their many years of experience in the industry.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

At what point do you stop saying its poor management, poor execution, poor planning, poor marketing, and call it pure incompetence?

Because pure incompetence is a very broad term, and when identifying a problem, its much more effective and beneficial to identify which flaws are more apparent than others.

Halo marketing has always been fine btw.

Sometimes I wonder if this was the original plan; to gimp options and remove Forge at launch in order to funnel people into matchmaking and make them play what 343 wants them to play.

I think Forge just wasnt ready at all. But agree that theres certainly an effort to funnel people into MM more than previous Halos

• Upvote (+1) 1

No options for horizontal / vertical sensitivity

Soon™  :kappa:

december update right?

lol at all the Reach vs H4 vs H5 discussion. It's like comparing which shit taste better. There are no winners in that argument.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Because pure incompetence is a very broad term, and when identifying a problem, its much more effective and beneficial to identify which flaws are more apparent than others.

Halo marketing has always been fine btw.

I think Forge just wasnt ready at all. But agree that theres certainly an effort to funnel people into MM more than previous Halos

But I just described broad failure.

And marketing was a lie. I don't get how you find it was good unless you feel taking millions and not delivering is good. If that's your view then we are done here.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That Reach had the audio-visually feel of Halo is true! (forgot about that part..)

But as far as gamesplay is concerned, Reach has 7 armor abilities (not including Bloom and Loadouts!) that fucked  with Halos gameplay, H5 has 7 Spartan abilities (including smart scope)

now it's up to your personal oppinion, if you believe that HR's gameplay is more Halo'ish because you don't have all abilities at the same time or because you only look at later settigns that have removed most stuff, then I guess you have a point but to me it doesn't matter, both added too much stuff to Halos core gameplay to be considered to be a true Halo for me, HR's audio-visuall feel can't really save much there...

And looking at HR and H5 from a non-Halo perspective, I enjoy H5's gameplay a lot more! But thats purely subjective

Reach is far and away closer to "real Halo" than Halo 5. In Reach, you only have one "ability" to choose, mainly sprint, jetpack, armor lock, or camo. As bullshit as those abilities may be, the fact that everyone only has one makes it far more tolerable than all the different abilities you have to encounter in Halo 5. Thruster pack, ground pound, sprint, clamber, Spartan charge, and stabilizer not only strips away core Halo gameplay, but also adds a lot of stress to the game. If you thought Reach's sprint and double pummel was annoying, well Spartan charge is 10 times worse. Also, you can't even perform a simple jump melee because of the ground pound mechanic.

Another big thing that makes Reach much closer to "real Halo" than H5 is that if someone in Reach dares to challenge me with an automatic while I have a precision weapon, I can almost always win that battle(just like in H2/H3), whereas in Halo 5 it's usually either flee or die.

• Upvote (+1) 2