CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm still shocked by this when Infection easily got the most love in Halo 4 with it's own Infected Spartan models and a re-skinned Energy Sword. Now it's not even in Halo 5 and 343 has yet to bring it up.

Those are 2 good additions, and I'm baffled by it not being in H5 too, but I don't think it got the most love--iirc, people thought it was a massive downgrade compared to Reach/3's.

At least with the DMR, I can pace my shots while throwing the other guy off and take him down while all along he "thinks" he is going to win by pulling the trigger faster. That to me is a satisfying part of using the bloom DMR - for me it's like a mind game within the fire fight. It's a rush.

I love the Reach TU DMR and agree with everything here.

even with all that....I enjoyed default reach more than i've enjoyed the current version of H5.

And TU Reach blows H5 out of the water.

Wow... I didn't understand the depravity of the situation at hand here.

both suck...but at least I can play one and feel like it's a halo game on my screen...

• Upvote (+1) 1

In the beta, recoil worked fine. It was consistent and controllable. The problems with bloom stem from it turning every gun into a dice roll every time you pull the trigger. It was more advantageous to just spam the trigger and pray for a kill.

I don't see how you can say that. With emulated recoil, you have to bring the barrel back down. With simulated recoil, you have to wait for the animation to indicate you are aiming 100% again, which was done through the bloom in the reticle. There isn't any difference apart from the animation. I prefer the bloom because it is less distracting, the reticle remains level. 

Perhaps you are confusing the illusion that you can shoot and that the shot will hit where you aim, where as the animation is simply different and you need to be one-with-the-DMR to really appreciate the need to pace your shots?

I don't see how you can say that. With emulated recoil, you have to bring the barrel back down. With simulated recoil, you have to wait for the animation to indicate you are aiming 100% again, which was done through the bloom in the reticle. There isn't any difference apart from the animation. I prefer the bloom because it is less distracting, the reticle remains level. 

I think you're mixing up recoil, and spread. Bloom was a magnified spread. Your reticle widened, thus your bullet spread widened. There was no "recoil" to it. Recoil is something like an automatic's reticle rising as a result of firing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you're mixing up recoil, and spread. Bloom was a magnified spread. Your reticle widened, thus your bullet spread widened. There was no "recoil" to it. Recoil is something like an automatic's reticle rising as a result of firing.

I think you don't fully understand what he's saying.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Perhaps you are confusing the illusion that you can shoot and that the shot will hit where you aim, where as the animation is simply different and you need to be one-with-the-DMR to really appreciate the need to pace your shots?

There is no illusion that you can shoot. You can actually shoot and it's more effective than waiting for bloom to reset depending on RNG.

Those are 2 good additions, and I'm baffled by it not being in H5 too, but I don't think it got the most love--iirc, people thought it was a massive downgrade compared to Reach/3's.

Only because it was impossible to change the weapon for the infected (they were locked to the infected Energy Sword) and there were missing traits for the Alpha. If 343 would just make an Infected Spartan model that doesn't affect the weapon, then it'll be all good.

A lot of people did. Its one thing to have a competitively sound game and another to have a game that can be somewhat competitive along with having a massive catalog of custom options, gametypes and social modes that appeal to an extremely wide player base. Halo 5 just fell apart by fixing one issue that we all had with recent Halos (they didn't even really do a great job of it either) and letting the rest of the game fall into ruin.  

I'll never understand how 343 went from Halo 4's all-social offerings to Halo 5's all-ranked + warzone. On one hand, yay for ranked lists, on the other, what the fuck were they thinking by not providing people with a variety of "lean back" playlists too? On top of that not putting in classic game modes like KoTH and Oddball even just into customs to give people options. Combine the playlists from both games and you have a pretty solid lineup for people to choose from. Hell, copy-paste the playlists from Halo 3 and you're golden.  :wutface:

I'm still in favor of just 1 ranked 4v4 playlist, ranked FFA, and maybe a ranked BTB list. Everything else can be social in my opinion. Would also mean your rank means more and you can compare e-peens easier by having your service record show your 3 ranks.

I'll never understand how 343 went from Halo 4's all-social offerings to Halo 5's all-ranked + warzone. On one hand, yay for ranked lists, on the other, what the fuck were they thinking by not providing people with a variety of "lean back" playlists too? On top of that not putting in classic game modes like KoTH and Oddball even just into customs to give people options. Combine the playlists from both games and you have a pretty solid lineup for people to choose from. Hell, copy-paste the playlists from Halo 3 and you're golden.  :wutface:

copying the most successful halo game? Fuck that, we do this the 343 way!

The very earliest I could see 343 making a Title Update would be January, and that's if they decide whether or not the surge of feedback on the sandbox has convinced them enough. They are acting very stubborn about all of their choices, which gives off the impression that they think the game's fine. Truthfully, I see them making small changes to every map layout to increase the spawn time for the Automatics, and perhaps weaken the AR's power by a tad.

I will be surprised and impressed if they go any farther than that.

Interesting. Increasing the spawn time for autos and nerfing the AR...I dunno if that's the solvent, but I can see that as a start.

copying the most successful halo game? Fuck that, we do this the 343 way!

Although I would prefer a complete "back to basics" Halo game in terms of gameplay, not just playlists (really anything from CE to patched Reach, idc at this point) I still enjoy playing H5 and think its the best new FPS multiplayer on consoles atm. BO3 blows chunks, and Battlefield was OK but the beta didn't persuade me to purchase it plus that expensive DLC price is a turn off too.

I just honestly don't know if the simple but difficult to master yet rewarding gameplay is still a desired thing on consoles anymore and I sincerely believe that Halo 5's difficulty in doing well -although much easier than previous Halos- compared to other modern console FPS's is a big downfall for the overall population of the game. The better you get in Cod, the better you do every game since you are almost always against scrubs, but Halo is the reverse: the better you get at the game, the better the players you play are, meaning you will plateau at some point and start having a "worse" scoreline at the end of the game, which is what so many people seem to enjoy looking at these days. Obviously lack of social playlist and the like hurt it as well, but I think the gameplay in general just isn't what people want anymore. They want easy to play and do well in without taking the time to master all the nuances of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if we get Breakout-esque gameplay for the entirety of Halo 6 (low health, fast ttks, closing in the skill gap in modes like slayer or ctf).

even with all that....I enjoyed default reach more than i've enjoyed the current version of H5.

just because you enjoy it more does not make it a better Halo

Reach is just as less of a Halo game as H5, claiming it would be just because you're embarrassed to admit that you somewhat "liked" a modern Halo won't make it a Halo game...

• Downvote (-1) 1

just because you enjoy it more does not make it a better Halo

Reach is just as less of a Halo game as H5, claiming it would be just because you're embarrassed to admit that you somewhat "liked" a modern Halo won't make it a Halo game...

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about....and with that said, reach (default/v7) >>>>>> halo 5

vRY5Qyg.gif

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about....and with that said, reach (default/v7) >>>>>> halo 5

vRY5Qyg.gif

yes I got it, you prefer reach over H5 but how is it still a true Halo game?

Are there actual reasons to think so or is it all based on "well I like it so it has to be right"?

And I'm not talking about the heavily altered v7 settings

Are there actual reasons to think so or is it all based on "well I like it so it has to be right"?

One might ask that is any Halo game truly Halo after CE :kappa:
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Reach has less mechanical changes than halo 5. That alone makes it more Halo. From being able to zoom and look down the scope of a rifle to the sound effects.....there's more halo in reach than halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I am not a "medal guy" and I might just be blind but can't we see medals at the end of the game? Got some new ones in a game and I couldn´t look it up after?

Nope I've posted on the forums once with my main and said it was nice without breaking the rules. Is it against the rules to check two different accounts on Halowaypoint? Besides the reason for the ban was posting in the wrong section.

- Didn't break the rules on the forums

- Didn't pose as anyone, just checked the service record on an alt and it said "you're banned till 2552"

- On main there is one post saying "I like these forums"

- Mods are nazis, check

one account per person.

I am not a "medal guy" and I might just be blind but can't we see medals at the end of the game? Got some new ones in a game and I couldn´t look it up after?

correct, unfortunately