CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

How much does halo need to change to not be true halo?

Is halo 2 not true halo because it has some difference to halo ce?

Who is to define true halo?

I agree with @ in that fundamental core mechanics that make halo unique is shields and that one element leads to truly engaging fire fights. He mentioned something else but for me the shields is the biggest differentiator. Take that out and it isn't halo, because halo is futuristic armor clad Spartans.

I think you are also confusing halo with arena. Halo was a true arena. Halo is becoming a bastardized arena.

You are confusing semantics for logic.

I can't break it down anywhere near as well as an OG CE player, but the basic Halo arena formula is grenades, melee and guns. There is supposed to be a real and legitimate skill curve, where time invested = more skill/feeling of control over the game.

Sprint adds nothing to the gameplay. Nobody ever thought 'I wish I could move faster' when playing Halo CE/2/3, because the maps and movement speed were deliberately designed. All it does is add to the frantic, chaotic feel that a CoD influence brings, precisely because casual CoD-style games are so frantic and chaotic, with every man for himself. There is zero impetus to work as a team, which is fine for games like CoD. However, things that promote CoD style 'every man for himself' gameplay are not suited to Halo, which thrives on teamwork.

Sprint is one of these things. Crucially, it also fucks with the shield mechanics, which you seem to admit are definitely part of what makes Halo 'Halo'. Having shields means that gun fights involve more strategy than mild movement and trying to be the guy to shoot first. Having shields means working out a way to successfully take them down. Having sprint in a game with shields completely fucks over this element because suddenly the guy you're shooting at has an extra option which is to just fuck off. It's not that much different from a teleport button. People should be challenged and made to think when they are caught in a dangerous, potentially Halo-life threatening situation. They should not have the option to mindlessly run away from, or even into, a gunfight.

TL;DR: Sprint just promotes mindlessness. Halo is supposed to be the opposite of mindless.

EDIT: based on your other posts I'm confused about your viewpoint, so forgive me if I misintepreted you. This is still a post that 343 should read regardless.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have a "one final effort" plan for the competitive community. The plan is to make a thread on the beyond forum that will link to "Anit-Sprint" threads on Waypoint. If all the community members on here go to waypoint and like/post on the threads on waypoint so those threads keep getting pushed up to the top,  we may have a chance. 343i is probably going to be looking at their waypoint forum more than us so if they see a whole bunch of "Anti-Sprint" threads in their forum they may get a clue.

If Waypoint, Reddit, and Neogaf all became 90% anti-sprint, I have a feeling they would still be written off as "a microcosm of Halo's audience." 

• Upvote (+1) 7

If Waypoint, Reddit, and Neogaf all became 90% anti-sprint, I have a feeling they would still be written off as "a microcosm of Halo's audience." 

If its comes to that after the beta or when Halo 5 release then, all is lost.

just wanted to post a remainder about sprint.

when halo reach was on the MLG pro circuit. for the settings when you spawned after dieing you could not use spring for like 3 seconds. it was a delayed ability.

the reason being is that having sprint allowed players to just sprint back into action. killing a team and gaining map control meant nothing with sprint. players would just spawn and sprint right into action.

sprint simply does not work. no matter how much you nerf it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Something I will add on my opinions of Halo 5:

The game looks solid, and it must have been quite the ride trying to make the spartan abilities work. I wish I could have been there, just observing how the devs thought of the ways certain things would interact with one another. 

Good luck with trying to get into the field. Hope everything works out for the best.

Thanks man, it's really gonna be tough, but who knows; maybe one day i'll be designing the next game discussed on these forums.

I just wanted to point out that immersion does not mean realism.

Use COD:AW for example. Nothing about that is real but you feel like you have full control of your character and thus are immersed in the experience.

Just thought I'd chime in on that when someone said "Spartans should sweat" in the immersion vs realism argument.

for me, this is an argument against sprint, and i feel like it's a stronger one than any other i've seen presented on this forum

the reason i don't like sprint in any shooter, pc or console, is that i don't feel like i have full control of my character when sprinting. i feel like i pressed a button and my character's speed increased from x to y. that's not control. it doesn't feel natural or intuitive at all, nor does it take any skill, unlike bunnyhopping or other movement mechanics

i don't play halo and i think it's way too slow, but even if that was something the halo community wanted to change, sprint, at least in this form, isn't the way to do. it just sucks

• Upvote (+1) 3

Keep PMs to PMs please :)

My bad man, they were messages of advice I was sharing with the community. Then I realized I was being rude to Mr. Holmes. Apologies.

I wonder if the worst thing 343 can do is begrudgingly remove sprint. That might lead to a half-assedly slapped together "non-sprint" version of Halo 5 for release. I mean, I wouldn't expect a professional game company to do that out of spite, but neither would I have believed they would keep a fundamentally broken mechanic in their game despite four years of vocal (and historical, non-biased) feedback against it. Am I wrong for wondering if sprint exists in Halo now more due to ego at this point than anything else?  :(

Ugh. Just don't know anymore where Halo's ultimate fate is gonna end up. I feel like Halo may become trapped within the "Sonic the Hedgehog" cycle, which is pretty scary. Gonna play the beta, offer respectful feedback, hopefully enjoy it . . . but the uncertainty of one of my favorite franchises kind of hurts.

The majority of those comments is against sprint, if not all of them.

Why must they insist on sprint...

Arrogance.

"This is what we want you to have"

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Typical corporate vs. idea tendencies?

Damn fat cats up in M$ probably, or 343i

p.s. good games earlier, I wish 343i could fix their party system.

Typical corporate vs. idea tendencies?

No. People who think that Microsoft are forcing sprint on them are tripping. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

We were discussing, hypothetically, if 343 implemented no sprint into the HCS. Your first paragraph doesn't relate at all for we're already assuming no sprint has the option to be implemented--I definitely agree 343 thinks sprint will only help sales and etc, but it's irrelevant . You said the competitive community isn't big enough to support it. It being HCS settings with no sprint--I think that is definitely false. Not having sprint doesn't automatically mean only the competitive community will support the scene.. that waypoint poll had 70% in favor of no sprint. We had a successful event in C'bus 12 with more support than ever, and not just the competitive community. We definitely don't need sprint in the game to have a future.. there is no evidence to support this. Obviously having things close to out of the box is ideal, but when out of the box sucks, you make adjustments if you can on a situational basis. Claiming no sprint settings would be a gamble to keep competitive Halo alive WITH DEVELOPER SUPPORT is just ridiculous.

Most obviously, the difference between us and those games is that they're already competitive out of the box. I want a good competitive game before caring about what casuals think. There is evidence to suggest no sprint competitive settings do just fine, while different from vanilla, in C'bus 12. There is no evidence to suggest having no sprint settings from vanilla is extremely detrimental to the scene, like you claim.

We will be just fine having no sprint in HCS settings with 343's developer support. We will continue to grow still. I would rather have a slightly smaller scene and have the game actually be fun than have the scene be slightly larger--something that's not even guaranteed.

Sorry let me hit the "red button". I stayed up all night, i wasn't all there when i wrote that lol

Kay yes, they were competitive out of the box, but they also like i said they had certain things in mind when it came to the perspective of the spectator. Kinda looks like 343i is thinking that too 'cause H5 looks flashy as fuck.

Yeah Cbus 12 was a success, but nothing happened after that. For awhile. I know you would prefer smaller tournaments with a more classic Halo, but MSFT and 343i have a different vision. It seems they want to make it a big "eSport" game.

I didn't make those claims. I said 343i probably believes that sprint will effect sales. Do you not agree that, that's what 343i probably thinks?

Actually if i'm gonna criticize H5, it's the colours of the Spartans. They need to tone with down with those colours.

Actually if i'm gonna criticize H5, it's the colours of the Spartans. They need to tone with down with those colours.

Did you see H4? H5G looks like H3 colour wise: easily the best in the series. Loving the graphical and art style.

• Upvote (+1) 1

-Irrelevant Text-

Quoting to get your attention.  Yes, that is me on Waypoint.  I was just making a funny, joke being that I'm more "offended" by your statement about smart scope than I am about you calling out Mihael Langley for being the troll that he is.  By the way don't do that shit, the mods over there are really anal about not calling out other users.

Anyways, I disagree with what you said about Smart Scope.  We've always been able to zoom in and fire with a few select weapons, but being able to do it with all of them, as well as gaining increased accuracy with the AR, SMG, and rumor has it the Battle Rifle are all completely new changes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did you see H4? H5G looks like H3 colour wise: easily the best in the series. Loving the graphical and art style.

Are we looking at the same game? H3's Spartan colours were good. They're too vibrant or something.

Halo 5's Spartan's have a properly detailed undersuit excluding the undersuit coloration. Keep it all black and it'll have a closer appeal to H2A's Spartans.

Are we able to exclude Shoulders altogether or is that just a Helioskrill thing? #HelioskrillThings

We were discussing, hypothetically, if 343 implemented no sprint into the HCS. Your first paragraph doesn't relate at all for we're already assuming no sprint has the option to be implemented--I definitely agree 343 thinks sprint will only help sales and etc, but it's irrelevant . You said the competitive community isn't big enough to support it. It being HCS settings with no sprint--I think that is definitely false. Not having sprint doesn't automatically mean only the competitive community will support the scene.. that waypoint poll had 70% in favor of no sprint. We had a successful event in C'bus 12 with more support than ever, and not just the competitive community. We definitely don't need sprint in the game to have a future.. there is no evidence to support this. Obviously having things close to out of the box is ideal, but when out of the box sucks, you make adjustments if you can on a situational basis. Claiming no sprint settings would be a gamble to keep competitive Halo alive WITH DEVELOPER SUPPORT is just ridiculous. 

Exactly.. and to add to this, COD competitive settings are usually not the same as out of the box settings afaik. They remove certain weapons and other things from competitive play

Spartan deodorant DLC?

The potential Sponsor opportunities are endless, Axe, Old Spice, etc. Could really get some big companies into e-sports......

:)

This is how we make it. Mission accomplished!