CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'd say they're about the same to me. Maybe H5 is worse, maybe H3 is worse.

All I know is when I played H3 on MCC after playing other games, I sorta noticed the aiming at times.

When I first loaded up H5, it destroyed my gameplay. Now that I'm sort of used to it, it probably affects me as much as Halo 3.

Halo 5 definetly has more aim, slow-acceleration, whatever its called. I only play Halo 3. I dont feel it. When I went to Halo 5 yesterday for the first time It feels like I got slow turn in all directions.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Batshit crazy idea of the month: hear me out.

Apparently H5 is peaking somewhere around ~100k concurrent users (prob closer to 125k), which isn't horrible but according to this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 its lower than H4 which is understandable (lower install base) which is disappointing. We'll see what Christmas does.

So alot of complaints were either campaign/lack of content. In 3 years the xbone will have a huge install base (slim coming next year). So release H6 as a F2P multiplayer only game ala Dota, LoL, Hearthstone etc. Thats ~50million people possibly playing H6 in 3ish years. With the game being multiplayer only, it can be flooded with content, huge number of maps, iterate on warzone (incorporate firefight into it?), return of all the old features (4 player theatre viewing/gametypes/etc), give forge a huge upgrade (AI/Scripting), you know where im going with this. Include a classic halo playlist or 2 and keep improving the solid gameplay of 5. 

Now how do they make money? Go balls to the wall with REQs. I want 50 armor effects from Reach 3$ each, I want Arnold Schwarzenegger to be a MP announcer for $5, hundreds of skins for a few bucks including user made ones, just let your imagination go wild. Customization up the ass. Make it so you can buy them all with RP but it will take a decent chunk of time, or just buy them. Then continue expanding Warzone and its current crazy ass weapons/armor in packs thing it has going and dial that up a few notches. If you say 343 puts 25% of req sales into HCS which is a solid guess, 700kx4=2.8mil in 3 weeks with sales probably around 3-4mil, if you take a ~50mil ish xbone userbase that's going to increase it by a factor of 10, not counting all the new cool shit even I wouldn't be able to resist. 2.8x20=56 mil. H5 only had sales of 400m (including hardware) so its not completely outclassed in terms of revenue.

Development costs will be 1/4th of what H5 was. Do another, bigger "sustain" for this game and you can keep MILLIONS of people around for years (instead of ~125k concurrent). Would be a huge advantage of Xbox. Throw in a possible player economy/esports integration CS/Dota etc use and we could be having massive HWC tournaments rivaling LoL/Dota. Player engagement through the roof.

Of course people love the Halo Universe, playing through those non combat missions it looks like 343 had some ideas but didn't have time. I say make future mainline game SP only ala Fallout/Elder Scrolls, those are hugely popular. Maybe branch off into a FPS RPG focused more on story/universe ala mass effect and way less on loot like destiny/borderlands.

So we would get a MASSIVE multiplayer offering for free, with only OPTIONAL micro transactions that are cosmetic or warzone only, with a huge thriving multiplayer community/economy and us drowning in content (modes, maps, features, etc. even adding AI to forge would create infinite content). On top of that we would get a ~$30-40 high quality Halo story continuation that could literally go anywhere even across genres. (seriously while playing those missions I was sitting there....what if?).

I really think this would work.

An important fact to consider as well, is that Halo 4 was released in November. So, the number of concurrent users one month later include the BF's holiday sales. Halo 5 was released in October and probably many new people will buy the game this weekend for BF.
With monthly updates, forge, new reqs, new maps and new modes coming next month before christmas, i think the game will keep a healthy population. Not Halo 3 healthy, but still good enough. It's going to be fine. And as you said, the user base was massive by the time Halo 4 was released, much larger than today's.

An important fact to consider as well, is that Halo 4 was released in November. So, the number of concurrent users one month later include the BF's holiday sales. Halo 5 was released in October and probably many new people will buy the game this weekend for BF.
With monthly updates, forge, new reqs, new maps and new modes coming next month before christmas, i think the game will keep a healthy population. Not Halo 3 healthy, but still good enough. It's going to be fine

Who confirmed new modes before 2016?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who confirmed new modes before 2016?

I think Frankie hinted something like that on GAF. I'll check if I can find the specific post. But if they intend to release new modes, it makes sense to launch at least a few of them before the Christmas holidays. But who knows

I think Frankie hinted something like that on GAF. I'll check if I can find the specific post. But if they intend to release new modes, it makes sense to launch at least a few of them before the Christmas holidays. But who knows

I mean they've said that more modes are coming in their monthly updates, but nobody has said anything about when.

Throw in a possible player economy/esports integration CS/Dota etc use and we could be having massive HWC tournaments rivaling LoL/Dota. 

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif

• Upvote (+1) 7

Throw in a possible player economy/esports integration CS/Dota etc use and we could be having massive HWC tournaments rivaling LoL/Dota. Player engagement through the roof.

Not to disrespect you but, are you high ? There is no WAY (quote me on this) this is ever going to happen, ever...in the history of life. Halo cant be even compared to 1/10th of what Dota2 and LoL are, in both player base, tournaments...you mention it.

Sorry to call you out but you making that comparison is has completely baffled my mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This is far worse than H4 was a month of release which was http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

however 3 years is a long time + H4 and MCC and there are better games out that are better than H5 right now. I cannot believe that the beta was better than what I am playing right now with this terrible aiming and the radar in arena. ugh

this isn't a peak time though, apparently it gets much higher, and with the lower install base it makes sense that it's population is lower by default. The game is doing exactly as well as it needs to be doing, I keep saying how too much popularity will mean halo 6 will be flawed in the same ways halo 5 is for sure.

An objective playlist would be terrible, just like it was in every other Halo game. Team Arena is fine.

That's your argument?

Forgive me for not wanting to play break out in Team Aren. If I want to play breakout, I'll go play that playlist. Right now, the only thing that sets team arena apart from other playlist is the fact that it mixes in Team Objective game types into team slayer and break out.

Forgive me for wanting to play oddball. Forgive me for wanting to play king of the hill. Forgive me for wanting to play assault. Forgive me for wanting a playlist that mixes all those gametypes together without the possibility of break out or Slayer.

Everybody's argument is that it won't work because it didn't work in past games. You ever think that Team Objective didn't work in past games because the underlying game settings were s*** to begin with? I think it would work in this game. Sorry for encouraging a playlist that would give 343 a reason to add more game types than just strongholds and CTF. I'm dying for more objective in this game.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's your argument?

Forgive me for not wanting to play break out in Team Aren. If I want to play breakout, I'll go play that playlist. Right now, the only thing that sets team arena apart from other playlist is the fact that it mixes in Team Objective game types into team slayer and break out.

Forgive me for wanting to play oddball. Forgive me for wanting to play king of the hill. Forgive me for wanting to play assault. Forgive me for wanting a playlist that mixes all those gametypes together without the possibility of break out or Slayer.

Everybody's argument is that it won't work because it didn't work in past games. You ever think that Team Objective didn't work in past games because the underlying game settings were s*** to begin with? I think it would work in this game. Sorry for encouraging a playlist that would give 343 a reason to add more game types than just strongholds and CTF. I'm dying for more objective in this game.

What more is there to say? Every single Objective playlist in Halo has always had an under-performing population and it always will. Unlike you, a lot of people just want to login and play some Slayer, Objective isn't their cup of tea. Did you see how well Big Team Infinity Slayer lasted in Halo 4? We went from Halo: Reach's BTB playlist which was full of objective modes to a straight up Slayer playlist and it was in the top 3 playlists for the longest time. 

Team Arena exists for two reasons - a grab bag of everything Arena has to offer (heck, doesn't the description even say that?) and the playlist for the competitive rule set. If you want to get a good rank in that playlist then you need to be good at Slayer, Strongholds, CTF and Breakout. 

It's pointless mentioning Oddball, KoTH, Assault, etc when they aren't even in the game and we literally have no ETA when they will be, if ever.

Team Objective has always been that playlist that everybody begs for and then when it comes out, it always performs poorly. It's that playlist that the majority on the internet try to make a big deal about and then when it launches, those same people don't play it like they promise too. Same thing happens for DLC playlists in every single Halo title. 

If they want to trial an Objective playlist, then by all means go ahead but I'm willing to bet that yet again, the population will be low and it won't last.

If you want to keep telling yourself that over the past ten years, these playlists were removed because of the bad settings then by all means do.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is the attitude that probably led to oddball, Koth, and assault not being in the game to begin with. I will never push for a Halo with less objective game types, nor sit back with an apathetic attitude towards it.

This is the attitude that probably led to oddball, Koth, and assault not being in the game to begin with. I will never push for a Halo with less objective game types, nor sit back with an apathetic attitude towards it.

It could very well be, who knows. We know Assault was in the game at some point from The Sprint. Maybe they couldn't finish it in time, maybe they were saving it for the ever-loved 'sustain' plan that people love to poke fun at.

Point is - Objective playlists have always performed poorly and it was a smart decision to not have one.

I'd love to see the objective gametypes back, but a standalone playlist will not perform well.

Way to think like 343 developer MOA. Good job.
Just looking at it logically - why would it suddenly be a popular playlist this time around?

I honestly enjoy Objective mixed with Slayer. I dont see why people always want to separate them so stricly. Slayer is just another "objective" gametype in my opinion where the objective is to stay alive while making kills.

I enjoy the mix I get in team Arena (Just like in the older Hardcore/MLG playlists) and would not need another objective only playlist.

Breakout on the other hand... well...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Frank has made so many empty promises that he has basically no credibility at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Anything Frankie has said since MCC's launch has been useless, just ignore him.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Has anyone tried the Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming yet with Halo 5? How is the latency?

I was using it for a Telltale game last night and tried it with MCC when it first came out. I wouldn't recommended it for FPS titles.

I love how much 343 members interacted with the community pre launch when they were trying to sell the game. Now that its out they are almost nonexistant.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Has anyone tried the Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming yet with Halo 5? How is the latency?

It's a little rough at times, but I've been doing it via wifi. I've heard a direct connection works great. 

I love how much 343 members interacted with the community pre launch when they were trying to sell the game. Now that its out they are almost nonexistant.

I think the interaction has been the same, they still posted here the most during beta and a little after, we went months without anyone posting here before launch at times after that though.

I think we've made it clear who we don't like posting here, we like josh, we like quinn, and bravo....not huge fans of Frankie though...

To be fair, Bravo is very present on r/halo

I was using it for a Telltale game last night and tried it with MCC when it first came out. I wouldn't recommended it for FPS titles.

direct of wifi

It's a little rough at times, but I've been doing it via wifi. I've heard a direct connection works great. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll experiment with direct connect.

direct of wifi

Thanks for the feedback. I'll experiment with direct connect.

Direct.

• Upvote (+1) 1