CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh BTB maps will be part of the 15 map DLC.

And I guess so will the next 4 forged BTB maps.

Welp.

Looks like I'm sticking to Elder Scrolls Online.

isn't that game a real piece of shit?

i love getting fake onyx players on my team. I hope the rank reset will even everything out.

A rank reset won't change much if they don't change how the ranking system works.

A rank reset won't change much if they don't change how the ranking system works.

Well I'm hoping they set an ELO range for each rank based on this first month of data. I read that even though people are ranked onyx they can drop elo to lower ranks, just not get demoted.

So say this onyx noob I played with in a diamond game continues to lose. He can drop his elo (what the game supposedly matches you by, it's not rank) down to silver, but stays onyx. What I am hoping they are doing is assigning an elo range for the reset and adjusting what elo each tier is. They may not ever adjust it, but if they don't then I don't see any point in resetting ranks in the first place.

Take FFA for example. There's a very low threshold to hit onyx just in placements in it. When they reset, they can take the data and adjust the actual elo needed to get into onyx, diamond, plat, gold, etc. thereby making people's ranks closer to their actual elo.

Although with the population of the game, idk what will be possible. I checked when I got on and Halo 5 was ahead of battlefront which was sitting at 85k. So earlier tonight H5 had >85k if the xbox charts are to be believed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yes it does. They both feature heavy amounts of aim smoothing and sluggishness.

It was the first thing I noticed about Halo 5, and I know what I feel in my thumbs. The aiming is shit, in the same way Halo 3's was shit.

Play a few hours of CE or Halo 4 on MCC and then switch to H3 or H5 and you feel it, clear as day.

I disagree. H3 feels a different kind of bad than H5.

H3 it's the grid based aiming kind of stuff.

H5 it's the aim accel

But i agree. CE and even H4 aiming is best.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Being serious, Warzone is the best solo experience in this game. 

Warzone Ass, sure. Fuck playing Warzone solo. I'm meant to know where everything is and who is taking what base when the HUD markers aren't on the screen when you're more than 150m away from them?

Because back in the day, the underlying settings in the MLG playlist were different.  Slayer in MLG playlist was not the same thing as slayer in team slayer.   

Now, team arena is just a collection of gametypes from the other playlists.   A super-set if you will.  It's redundant and stupid. 

If you insist on defending their "simulating the HCS experience" playlist, then they should just make a playlist called HCS and have it be separate.  Team arena in it's current state has a lot of overlap with the other playlists.   Hands down, undeniably.   The overlap is no different.  Slayer rig in team arena is the same thing as slayer rig in team slayer.

An objective playlist is severely needed and I'll fight you till the sun comes up defending that statement. 

An objective playlist would be terrible, just like it was in every other Halo game. Team Arena is fine.

I feel like 343 delayed forge, just so that they can treat forge maps they made as real maps and use them as dlc.

Say what you will about bungies time with halo, but I don't think they took us for idiots, at least I never got that impression.

Or you know, it isn't finished and its getting worked on.

I don't believe they delayed it for 'sustain'.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mind the ranking system as a whole, but not being able to drop a division ruins it. Fix that, and I think it solves a lot of problems.

Well I'm hoping they set an ELO range for each rank based on this first month of data. I read that even though people are ranked onyx they can drop elo to lower ranks, just not get demoted.

So say this onyx noob I played with in a diamond game continues to lose. He can drop his elo (what the game supposedly matches you by, it's not rank) down to silver, but stays onyx. What I am hoping they are doing is assigning an elo range for the reset and adjusting what elo each tier is. They may not ever adjust it, but if they don't then I don't see any point in resetting ranks in the first place.

Take FFA for example. There's a very low threshold to hit onyx just in placements in it. When they reset, they can take the data and adjust the actual elo needed to get into onyx, diamond, plat, gold, etc. thereby making people's ranks closer to their actual elo.

Although with the population of the game, idk what will be possible. I checked when I got on and Halo 5 was ahead of battlefront which was sitting at 85k. So earlier tonight H5 had >85k if the xbox charts are to be believed.

not bad, if it can sit on these numbers i think we could end up in a pretty good position.

Edit: just checked, at 2:10 est, halo 5 is below 40,000, based on swbf stats.

Like many other things in CE, CE did aiming the best.

Literally instant response, perfect amount of aim accel (hardly any), and good amounts of magnetism/adhesion. I can play CE on 7-8 sens even though I play all other Halos on 3-4. I can play so high on CE because the aiming is responsive as fuck.

Halo 2 in MCC is a little too twitchy for me but damn is it ever responsive.

Halo 4 aiming felt like H2A... decent but some sort of input lag thing that CE and 2 do NOT have.

Halo 5 feels like I'm dragging my reticle through poo.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Hey guys, I finally got my elite controller :) I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the paddles really sticking out and it's super sensitive so i accidentally clicked on it pretty often... So does it get better after you keep using it? :/

Yes it does but I still can't use more than 2 paddles.

not bad, if it can sit on these numbers i think we could end up in a pretty good position.

Edit: just checked, at 2:10 est, halo 5 is below 40,000, based on swbf stats.

This is far worse than H4 was a month of release which was http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 

however 3 years is a long time + H4 and MCC and there are better games out that are better than H5 right now.  I cannot believe  that the beta was better than what I am playing right now with this terrible aiming and the radar in arena. ugh 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yes it does but I still can't use more than 2 paddles.

I'm finally adjusting to the paddles after playing a ton of Fallout haha. Now I just need to make my brain switch from using thumbs to my middle and ring finger.... That change is going to take a while.... Hahahaha
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Snipedown on the Twitch homepage. pretty cool.

Not taking anything away from him of course, but Twitch has a list of streamers or "partners" or whatever they're called and they each have certain days where they're featured on the main page. That's why you typically see him in rotation a day or two in the course of the month. That being said, I'm glad we have a few big names in that rotation (Naded, Snip3down, Ninja). I think there are a couple more as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There had to been someone in that damn office that possibly had this single thought "Hmm... I'm tired of selling these REQ cards one by one by one by one... Why don't we make a Sell X button?"

Hey guys, I finally got my elite controller :) I'm having a really hard time adjusting to the paddles really sticking out and it's super sensitive so i accidentally clicked on it pretty often... So does it get better after you keep using it? :/

I got my Elite at launch and it was really hard for me to adjust. At first I was accidentally pressing the paddles, which happened alot foe the first two/three days.

Then I took off the two large paddles and left the two small ones. I am now 100% comfortable and am so glad I stuck with the Elite instead of giving up. It also took me a while to adjust to the weight and feel of the metal thumbsticks.

Just stick with it and eventually youll be so glad you did. It took me about a week of grinding to get the muscle memory down.

Good luck :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I got my Elite at launch and it was really hard for me to adjust. At first I was accidentally pressing the paddles, which happened alot foe the first two/three days.

Then I took off the two large paddles and left the two small ones. I am now 100% comfortable and am so glad I stuck with the Elite instead of giving up. It also took me a while to adjust to the weight and feel of the metal thumbsticks.

Just stick with it and eventually youll be so glad you did. It took me about a week of grinding to get the muscle memory down.

Good luck :)

I'm considering grabbing an Elite, but I need to know that I'll be playing Halo/Xbox enough for it to be worthwhile.

Like many other things in CE, CE did aiming the best.

Literally instant response, perfect amount of aim accel (hardly any), and good amounts of magnetism/adhesion. I can play CE on 7-8 sens even though I play all other Halos on 3-4. I can play so high on CE because the aiming is responsive as fuck.

Halo 2 in MCC is a little too twitchy for me but damn is it ever responsive.

Halo 4 aiming felt like H2A... decent but some sort of input lag thing that CE and 2 do NOT have.

Halo 5 feels like I'm dragging my reticle through poo.

I'd like to give Reach a special mention. Maybe because it was the Halo I played the most of, but it felt incredibly natural without holding your hand too much. 5 any half decent player was not easy, and a good strafe was more than enough to put you off. But at the same time it didnt pull your reticle away like Halo 3 did, or feel numb like Halo 2, or feel like moving through mud like H5.

Posted this in the sandbox thread too, but figured some in here might also find it interesting:

Unscoped Range (rounded):

Magnum - 36m

BR - 36m

Carbine - 36m

LR - 30m

DMR - 36m

Scoped Range:

Magnum - 58m

BR - 75m

Carbine - 90m

LR - 75m

DMR - 110m

For reference:

H4 BR: 36 unscoped; 58 scoped

• Upvote (+1) 4

Batshit crazy idea of the month: hear me out.

Apparently H5 is peaking somewhere around ~100k concurrent users (prob closer to 125k), which isn't horrible but according to this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 its lower than H4 which is understandable (lower install base) which is disappointing. We'll see what Christmas does.

So alot of complaints were either campaign/lack of content. In 3 years the xbone will have a huge install base (slim coming next year). So release H6 as a F2P multiplayer only game ala Dota, LoL, Hearthstone etc. Thats ~50million people possibly playing H6 in 3ish years. With the game being multiplayer only, it can be flooded with content, huge number of maps, iterate on warzone (incorporate firefight into it?), return of all the old features (4 player theatre viewing/gametypes/etc), give forge a huge upgrade (AI/Scripting), you know where im going with this. Include a classic halo playlist or 2 and keep improving the solid gameplay of 5. 

Now how do they make money? Go balls to the wall with REQs. I want 50 armor effects from Reach 3$ each, I want Arnold Schwarzenegger to be a MP announcer for $5, hundreds of skins for a few bucks including user made ones, just let your imagination go wild. Customization up the ass. Make it so you can buy them all with RP but it will take a decent chunk of time, or just buy them. Then continue expanding Warzone and its current crazy ass weapons/armor in packs thing it has going and dial that up a few notches. If you say 343 puts 25% of req sales into HCS which is a solid guess, 700kx4=2.8mil in 3 weeks with sales probably around 3-4mil, if you take a ~50mil ish xbone userbase that's going to increase it by a factor of 10, not counting all the new cool shit even I wouldn't be able to resist. 2.8x20=56 mil. H5 only had sales of 400m (including hardware) so its not completely outclassed in terms of revenue.

Development costs will be 1/4th of what H5 was. Do another, bigger "sustain" for this game and you can keep MILLIONS of people around for years (instead of ~125k concurrent). Would be a huge advantage of Xbox. Throw in a possible player economy/esports integration CS/Dota etc use and we could be having massive HWC tournaments rivaling LoL/Dota. Player engagement through the roof.

Of course people love the Halo Universe, playing through those non combat missions it looks like 343 had some ideas but didn't have time. I say make future mainline game SP only ala Fallout/Elder Scrolls, those are hugely popular. Maybe branch off into a FPS RPG focused more on story/universe ala mass effect and way less on loot like destiny/borderlands.

So we would get a MASSIVE multiplayer offering for free, with only OPTIONAL micro transactions that are cosmetic or warzone only, with a huge thriving multiplayer community/economy and us drowning in content (modes, maps, features, etc. even adding AI to forge would create infinite content). On top of that we would get a ~$30-40 high quality Halo story continuation that could literally go anywhere even across genres. (seriously while playing those missions I was sitting there....what if?).

I really think this would work.

• Upvote (+1) 8

So has 343 confirmed yet whether or not the forge maps in BtB count towards the 15 DLC maps or not?

Probably they do. That's why they changed the pr to "18+ free DLC maps"

• Upvote (+1) 2