CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

<nerdrage> Why the fuck did they make BTB ranked? What is wrong with this inept game developer? How do you inherit the gold mine that is Halo from Bungie and flat out ruin the brand within years?

The 343 pro team, what the fuck is that? Who cares about them? 

This game is such an unplayable mess that only appeals to sweaty try hards confined to their bedroom in their parents house. </nerdrage>

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 10

I hope 343 updates the armor customization, not being able to customize as much as previous games really sucks.

Idk. How many different armor permutations have previous games with full customization had? Basically, I'm asking if a decreased level of customization has created more unique options within these lessened parameters.

<nerdrage> Why the fuck did they make BTB ranked? What is wrong with this inept game developer? How do you inherit the gold mine that is Halo from Bungie and flat out ruin the brand within years?

The 343 pro team, what the fuck is that? Who cares about them? 

This game is such an unplayable mess that only appeals to sweaty try hards confined to their bedroom in their parents house. </nerdrage>

I mean you could just ignore your rank...

It's quite literally just a symbol next to your name, if you don't care about it then just ignore it.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Idk. How many different armor permutations have previous games with full customization had?

Much less. I agree with 343's decision to put all the body armour pieces into one - it allows them to fit into sort of "archetypes": skinny, skeletal, muscular, smooth, jagged, etc., without players messing around with conflicting pieces. Also, if they were divided up, each individual piece would just get dwarfed by the rest and each piece would lose its identity.

There's just way too many variants for any one set to maintain its identity or potential iconic-ness if they were to be split up.

Instead, I think there should be different things to customize. HUDs, armour textures (reflective, matte, granite) and melee animation groups, for example.

It's quite literally just a symbol next to your name, if you don't care about it then just ignore it.

Are you the Buddha? I've never been able to ignore my rank.
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I could care less about my rank. It's that I play Halo sporadically and all of my friends are varying levels of ability but as there is no social mode and a ranking system that doesn't let you de rank it's made the game completely unplayable. I mean, come on, 16 player join in progress BTB is ranked. 

Why would they let a halo game ship without a social mode? Well, there's Warzone but I'm not really into playing the same 3 maps forever. 

Much less. I agree with 343's decision to put all the body armour pieces into one - it allows them to fit into sort of "archetypes": skinny, skeletal, muscular, smooth, jagged, etc., without players messing around with conflicting pieces. Also, if they were divided up, each individual piece would just get dwarfed by the rest and each piece would lose its identity.

There's just way too many variants for any one set to maintain its identity or potential iconic-ness if they were to be split up.

Instead, I think there should be different things to customize. HUDs, armour textures (reflective, matte, granite) and melee animation groups, for example.

Agreed. I think the animations would be a great way to get a player to express themselves. Perhaps your Spartan's animation in the the prologue or epilogue of a match is unique to him?  Maybe your stance on the post-game MVP card is something that you decided?

Not to retread old ground, but does anyone else think that a few REQ cards for playing the game as an Elite would be straight up perfect for Warzone?

I've got no desire to play BTB anymore. First map was the headlong remake and even though I saw pictures beforehand, I wasn't ready for how ugly the map looks visually. I didn't think the map played well either. We played the standoff map and the first thing I asked for is for someone to forge some damn clouds in the sky. Then theres some horrific prank I think called Recurve, that had us spawning past the 50 yardline near bottom middle for minutes on end as we get wrecked by the kids camping top snipe who picked up the shotty right below them. They force us out to where the tank is and that area is just completely exposed.

Glad they got warzone there, cause this is easily the worst BTB experience I've had on a Halo and I did play a lot of BTB in H2 and H3. 0/10 don't think I'm even gonna bother searching it again.

4NPGH2N.png

I also decided to give the Noble armor recolor and the contrast change a try. I don't think removing all of the little designs is the right direction, I feel it's how they should contrast. I think adding contrast between the undersuit, the white, and whatever color the user wants, is the best decision.

This was a rushed job, but it's how I feel the armor should be designed before put into the lighting engine. Everything needs to be seen at a distance and in different lighting to see how badly the designs will bleed. Their colored and grey undersuits cause the colors and designs that 343 adds to the armor to bleed. It removes the fact they added all of that detail. 

I wish I could see how the lighting engine would differ between recolors and the originals.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

Something that irks me about modern game design is the need to push out the highest polycount possible, shitting on everything that isn't a mid-end machine.

Meanwhile we've got Valve just chilling in a corner pushing for cleanliness and optimization. Even today, I still think that TF2 has some of the best designed maps out there simply because of how appealing and functional they are.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Meh, BTB is a huge disappointment. Even more so when I saw JIP being in it.

I'll be happier when Reach is in backwards compatibility, then I'll just play that and MCC. I haven't been enjoying Halo 5 as of late.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Idk. How many different armor permutations have previous games with full customization had? Basically, I'm asking if a decreased level of customization has created more unique options within these lessened parameters.

The thing about Halo 5's armor system though is that a good portion of the 175 available options are either simple reskins (every common piece has like four or five, I swear), are recycled from other sets (the Scout set, which includes the shoulders, arms, and legs is used by a ton of different armor bodies) with the only real original thing being the chest piece, or are too similar to other pieces to really warrant their existence. Like, take a look at how many helmets we have that look like EVA. Hell, HERMES is practically a carbon copy of Halo 5's EVA helmet.

I could care less about my rank. It's that I play Halo sporadically and all of my friends are varying levels of ability but as there is no social mode and a ranking system that doesn't let you de rank it's made the game completely unplayable. I mean, come on, 16 player join in progress BTB is ranked. 

Why would they let a halo game ship without a social mode? Well, there's Warzone but I'm not really into playing the same 3 maps forever. 

Having unranked playlists doesn't really change who you'd get paired against when you're in a party of mixed skilled friends; every playlist has a hidden MMR for matching by skill, whether it is Social or Ranked. 

I get that some people can't get around the mental block of seeing a ranking on their name and thus having trouble taking the playlist less seriously (happens to me too sometimes), but functionally there's not really a difference.

Unless they were to ever make a playlist where MMR was disabled and matching is purely random (this is a horrible idea)

So I guess we aren't going to be getting a "social" playlist this weekend.

Just make a new account and play for fucks .. It isn't harder. Or just stop caring about ranks, you arent supposed to be trying to get a higher rank anyway. Just play normally, and whatever happens, happens.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Just make a new account and play for fucks .. It isn't harder.

Except its only your first game in a playlist that is entirely social, after that you will match people based on skill in your placement games.

We need social.

So I guess we aren't going to be getting a "social" playlist this weekend.

Making an unranked playlist is not as easy as '"flipping a switch" according to Salient, so I wouldn't expect one until after December (given 343i's track record). 

Except its only your first game in a playlist that is entirely social, after that you will match people based on skill in your placement games.

We need social.

If he plays for jokes, like he wants to in social, he isn't going to match people at his level anyway.