CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Played CTF on Basin. Needless to say, I love the way everything looks, Forge-wise. May be in a minority, but I LOVE how the bases look. Not clashy, like Reach, but not insanely flat and boring, with some detailing on the walls, such as the UNSC logo near the doorway, or red/blue paneling on the floors and corners.

Also love how the lighting inside the bases gives them atmosphere. Blue base on Basin is probably one of my new favourite areas in terms of Forge maps, solely due to how it feels. Clean, cool, and slightly shadowed.

The base in the middle of the map also surprised me with how good it looked. Makes me excited to use Forge next month, to see what I can do.

Needless to say, I THINK having more players on the map would help. There was a lot of time in the game where I was just defending the flag, or running in and around the base, without encountering other players. It feels a LITTLE empty, but it's possible players just quit, and I never noticed.

Loving BTB so far, and I can't wait to see the rest of the maps.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I really don't get why people care what the maps look like. I only care if they play well. I'd take ugly good playing forge maps over pretty shiny bullshit any day of the week.

Unfortunately with 343 you get ugly and poor playing.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's not just the maps, though. It's hugely balanced around the mechanics and availability of the vehicles and weapons vs. number of people.

Well since 24 players are not available in customs, I guess we'll never find out. I'm glad 343 made that decision for us though. Judging from their rich history of quality, they obviously know best.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well since 24 players are not available in customs, I guess we'll never find out. I'm glad 343 made that decision for us though. Judging from their rich history of quality, they obviously know best.

When your positive decisions are completely inadvertent, you know you're a beli343er. :kappa:

When they add some covenant style artwork to Forge, we can talk shop. I don't care what you guys say about the artwork, gray sucks. I don't think they look that bad though.

343 doesn't have any texture mapping libraries sitting around somewhere?

You can literally make a virtual class and create specific texture mappings for each and every object in the game... Not sure how this isn't a thing by now.

When they add some covenant style artwork to Forge, we can talk shop. I don't care what you guys say about the artwork, gray sucks. I don't think they look that bad though.

You can literally make a virtual class and create specific texture mappings for each and every object in the game... Not sure how this isn't a thing by now.

Textures will be available after the sustain window is cleared.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Uh, maybe if they were regular Xbox maps.

I thought so at first too, but hey, what do I know. I mean, all I did was play the maps.

Clearly you know what you're talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When they add some covenant style artwork to Forge, we can talk shop. I don't care what you guys say about the artwork, gray sucks. I don't think they look that bad though.

You can color the blocks and make them covie color.

I know. That's why I said "if maps are made for it".

I know...

Im saying you would not be able to. The maps just wouldn't have the same feel.

What exactly is "sustain?" I missed that part.

release staple halo features over time to keep players playing.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Forgive my stupidity, where are the xbox live activity charts? I've been googling and I can only find the old ones that Major Nelson used to do. 

Edit: Halo servers down for anyone else?

In terms of what Josh posted a few pages back, I knew it. The game simply wasn't made to add unranked playlist on the fly (not including warzone). Glad they are admitting it early on and actually taking the feedback about it on board.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I thought so at first too, but hey, what do I know. I mean, all I did was play the maps.

Clearly you know what you're talking about.

Yeah what do I know about judging something visually, I mean it's not like I have functioning eyes with 20/20 vision or anything.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

When they add some covenant style artwork to Forge, we can talk shop. I don't care what you guys say about the artwork, gray sucks. I don't think they look that bad though.

The problem with textures and forge is that it makes combining pieces look really bad. Reach maps looked awful because the textures would get cut off wherever two pieces would intersect.

5's system may look quite plain, however it's very clean and avoids the issue i described above.

You can color the blocks and make them covie color.

That's a start. I actually didn't know this because I haven't been following the info regarding Forge too much. I just followed it enough to know that it doesn't have texture mapping.

The problem with textures and forge is that it makes combining pieces look really bad. Reach maps looked awful because the textures would get cut off wherever two pieces would intersect.

Can you provide an example of this so I know what you're talking about? This sounds more like a user error rather than an implementation error. And what textures? Like the ground?

Yeah what do I know about judging something visually, I mean it's not like I have functioning eyes with 20/20 vision or anything.

How about you play the game and have a look at the maps for yourself?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Played CTF on Basin. Needless to say, I love the way everything looks, Forge-wise. May be in a minority, but I LOVE how the bases look. Not clashy, like Reach, but not insanely flat and boring, with some detailing on the walls, such as the UNSC logo near the doorway, or red/blue paneling on the floors and corners.

Also love how the lighting inside the bases gives them atmosphere. Blue base on Basin is probably one of my new favourite areas in terms of Forge maps, solely due to how it feels. Clean, cool, and slightly shadowed.

The base in the middle of the map also surprised me with how good it looked. Makes me excited to use Forge next month, to see what I can do.

Needless to say, I THINK having more players on the map would help. There was a lot of time in the game where I was just defending the flag, or running in and around the base, without encountering other players. It feels a LITTLE empty, but it's possible players just quit, and I never noticed.

Loving BTB so far, and I can't wait to see the rest of the maps.

Knew Ice Princess was Kevin Franklin in disguise, now the proof is out in the open

Gotta say I love this thread. Its like we all have short term love/hate emotions about this game. One moment we (sometimes) will congratulate 343 for something and the next we call them the dumbest studio ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol what is this

Are you going to tell me to play the game so I can comment on the look of weapon skins next?

• Upvote (+1) 3

The great thing about visuals: they're literally the only thing he's getting. He knows how they look.

I really don't get why people care what the maps look like. I only care if they play well. I'd take ugly good playing forge maps over pretty shiny bullshit any day of the week.

Unfortunately with 343 you get ugly and poor playing.

I care because we shouldn't be forced to have one or the other.

Damnation, Prisoner, Chill-Out, and Derelict look and play better than most of the modern Halo maps and they're 15 years old. Someone with artistic taste (which is something most modern developers lack) should be able to make geometrically pleasing, phenomenal looking map that play well. Instead we either get over-designed, unnecessarily complicated maps that suffer for it, or forge maps. 

• Upvote (+1) 9