CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Just saying, we said the same thing during Halo 4. The numbers never went back up after a new shooter released.

They've gone up multiple times past two games, however. Two very POPULAR games, mind you. The population hasn't taken a nosedive, it fluctuates between titles.

Remember guys, its really hard to make a map, thats why theres no BTB maps. But soon. Oh and BTB isint part of the essential Halo exeperience...

No, war zone is now...

I remember when halo 4 came out and 343 said dominion was the new game type to scratch the invasion itch. I remember thinking my first minute of dominion how it wasn't anything like invasion. But there were some who took to it and believed it was the quality substitute they craved. So strange to see how people will rationalize to convince themselves they're back.

I'd rather be an optimist than a pessimist. I would prefer Halo succeed rather than fail.

What does being an optimist have to do with it? Or even a pessimist?

It's just the facts dude. No amount of good attitude or positive thinking is going to change them.

Halo succeeding has nothing to do with eventually getting back up to 3rd most played and more to do with having a product worth playing when it launches. That would be my "sustain" plan.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Classic style Halo is like that super hot girl/guy in class that was smart and funny and cared. You dated him/her for a while but they broke up with you for another guy/girl. Now you are trying to use everything possible to get him/her back but you know you might have to settle for a polygamous relationship.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I thought H2A FFA was terrible even with BR starts for the most part which is part of my reasoning against radar expansion because it did nothing in that game except help me get easy kills by sitting with sword on br3 on lockdown or camping s2 with AR or SMG and also netted easy kills if anybody approached big tower on Zenith if I was already there. I'd lose games on warlord because the second you push into the middle to get kills it was sheer chaos and everybody knew where you were.

To be honest I just hate overcrowded FFA's and H5 FFA is definitely overcrowded. I just got empire 3 times in a row though, anybody would hate 8 man FFA's after that. At present I just don't think an increase in radar range will do anything but make people camp more. Meh.

Well, to be fair, H2A used H4's expanded radar range.  That range made sense in H4 because of sprint, but H2A didn't have sprint.  So I'll agree that H2A's radar range was too good and gave too much info.  I also have never been in favor of the radar showing that someone is on a different level.  I feel like that's the player's job to figure out.  So yeah, I see where you're coming in H2A.

However, the problems you cited stem more from the map/weapon combinations than the radar.  Getting sword on snipe tower on Lockout has always resulted in a nice run of easy kills, and going middle on Warlock/lord has always been a death sentence regardless of radar.  Zenith/Ascension/Pinnacle is just a shit FFA map because of how easy and lucrative it is to hold that Big Tower.

Good maps with good weapon layouts play FFA infinitely better with radar.  Midship/Heretic, Zealot, Citadel, Guardian, Lockout w/ rifles only, etc.  As long as the map doesn't have a position/weapon combo that is easy to exploit, radar will let the better player show that they are the better player more often than without it.

What does being an optimist have to do with it? Or even a pessimist?

It's just the facts dude. No amount of good attitude or positive thinking is going to change them.

Halo succeeding has nothing to do with eventually getting back up to 3rd most played and more to do with having a product worth playing when it launches. That would be my "sustain" plan.

Optimism as in hoping Halo will succeed.

I only have about 20 or so H5 FFA games under my belt, so I guess I'll see how FFA evolves as my CSR goes up, but it seems to me that the solution to the problem is to reduce the availability of CQC weapons and expand radar range. No radar FFA feels so random. I constantly take deaths where I feel like there was no way I should have known it was coming, and I don't feel like I could have played it any better. I don't get that feeling in games with radar because the game presents me with enough information, and gives me chance to make the right play.

I have been wanting to make my own statement regarding this discussion.

As for my stance on the subject, I also believe that FFA should be reduced to 6 players. I also wouldn't mind increased radar on top of that, but I am willing to see how much better FFA would play with 6 players and the same radar. I also believe that radar is a necessity in FFA.

Now on to a few of my points:

I hate playing 8-man FFA in the same way that I hate playing Octagon customs. You can't take either of the modes seriously, and enjoy them as a legitimate game mode, because they are too chaotic.

Sure, they may be good for a warm-up, if you like frustrating yourself. The exact meta of each mode boils down to who can clean up who first. Lucky spawns are often everything, and the only way to stay alive is to try and spawn camp, more or less. Theres not much else to it, except for fast reaction times.

Here is a scenario that happens often in 8-man FFA when all 8 players are relatively good at the game, and it doesn't matter what Halo game it is in:

Player 1 and player 2 see each other and engage in battle.

Right in the middle of that fight comes player 3 who proceeds to clean up players 1 and 2.

In the middle of that, comes player 4, who blindsides player 3 and gets the kill.

As player 4 is trying to reshield/reposition, he gets sandwiched/pinched by players 5 and 6, who have just respawned after suffering the same fate as players 1 and 2.

Across the map, where players 5 and 6 had just died, player 7(who cleaned up players 5 and 6) gets killed by player 8 in the same kind of blindside that player 4 killed player 3 with.

Lastly, player 8 immediately gets caught between freshly respawned players 1 and 2, and is put on respawn also.

And that is often just around 30 seconds of time in an 8-man FFA match. The cycle above continues endlessly until someone eventually gets 25 kills.

There is often just no time to reload/reshield/reposition between kills. Never a second to catch a breath. If you have to do any of the 3 such things(and you will), you can pretty much assure yourself that you are going to get shot in the process, immediately at a health disadvantage in this next fight.

Also, why do people think that players crouch/camp a lot in 8-man FFA? Not necessarily because of radar or CQC weapons, as this is also a problem in past Halos where CQC weapons aren't anywhere near as effective.

Players crouch/camp in 8-man FFA mainly because the game mode punishes your map movement by immediately spawning someone behind you the very second you decide to move from position. It discourages map movement because no one wants to constantly get shot in the back and die.

Of course, smart players can take advantage of the constantly spawning players by watching for the spawns themselves, and trying to hold position so as to not get spawned on. And then that helps create the problem of getting spawn-killed, and that is one of the most frustrating things that can happen in FFA. Plus do we really want players just camping spawns? Because we can't move?

And then there is power weapon rotation. All too often, its the third or fourth player that gets to really use the power weapon, because the first player decided to risk position control to go grab the the weapon(this is good), BUT is immediately over-punished by having another player on his/her tail, and although he/she can likely kill that player, he/she is often all too weak to survive being sandwich pinched by the next 2 players coming around the corner to the better position. Its the last player of this scenario that truly gets to make some use of the power weapon, unless the first player grabs a power weapon that is already in a good position, such as with the Shotgun on Empire.

8-man FFA is just frustrating. Always has been and it seems always will be. I often finish matches, win or lose, so tensed up that I really just don't feel like playing Halo for the rest of my spare time.

6-man FFA is a necessity for ranked. We praise H3 for its amazing playlist setup. Remember that Lone Wolves was 6-man FFA instead of 8-man FFA for a reason. 8-man FFA is just too much of a frustrating slaughter at higher levels.

6-man FFA is enough to keep players from being too reckless, but few enough to allow breathing room between fights so as to allow more 1v1 battles, and allow real map movement to happen. Looking for cleanups and watching for spawns is still a skill, but it isn't the only skill. 6-man FFA allows for the gametype to play in a much more structured, individually tactical way. You get to witness true play styles appear, and there are more ways to win the match.

Please, please, please, have FFA be converted back to 6-man instead of 8-man. I could still live with the radar and autos as is for the most part.

• Upvote (+1) 4

No, war zone is now...

I remember when halo 4 came out and 343 said dominion was the new game type to scratch the invasion itch. I remember thinking my first minute of dominion how it wasn't anything like invasion. But there were some who took to it and believed it was the quality substitute they craved. So strange to see how people will rationalize to convince themselves they're back.

It's a shame that anyone ever referred to Dominion as a substitute for Invasion, because I thought it was a really fun gametype in it's own right (after they got rid of power weapons in resupplies of course).  The comparison to Invasion was just unfair to Dominion.

No, you'd get matched up against other mixed parties in H2 doing shit like that, good try. Also MCC is not a good representation of how H2's system worked -- they had to match 49's against 10's and what not because the population was abysmal.

I'm talking about the original H2 ranking system...This was a known way to boost. Thus making it far from perfect. Never even mentioned MCC...

Did some of you guys actually like the doubles playlist? I'd rather have a CTF/Strongholds playlist. Any Obj game is better than Slayer in this game IMO.

Me and a good buddy of mine loved doubles. Was a lot easier to move around the map and coordinate without having to worry about constantly being blindsided by 4 different angles in 4v4. We have generally come to the consensus that these huge maps are too small for 4v4. I've also never really liked 4v4 to begin with, so take that with a grain of salt.

It's a shame that anyone ever referred to Dominion as a substitute for Invasion, because I thought it was a really fun gametype in it's own right (after they got rid of power weapons in resupplies of course). The comparison to Dominion was just unfair to Invasion.

Fixed

snip

Your point is well made.  Having played a lot more 8 man FFA than 6 over the years, I guess I'm just used to the chaos and rather enjoy it.  I enjoy learning how to manage the flow on different maps.  It is possible.  It just takes a lot of games on the same map to know what to expect next.  6 man is fun too, and it is a more cerebral experience.  It certainly allows for more of that situation where one player is able to completely lock down an area and establish dominance.  I keep thinking of S2 on The Pit with a shotgun, sniper, and regen.  But starting in Reach, I started playing a shitload of FFA, and grew to love the frenetic pace and adrenaline of 8 mans.  With enough practice, you will learn how to manage the flow of the game, juggle multiple opponents, and survive ridiculous situations.  That's my favorite part of FFA, and I don't get as much of that in 6mans.

I always get st8 ripped when I am a gunner in the 'Hog, and I have the GOAT Warthog driver @@Hard Way driving me so it can't be that.

I know the feeling all too well. It especially sucks when you are a damn good gunner. I am certain that I am a good gunner, but I feel like such a hassle trying to tell my driver which spawn point to pick me back up at, because I just got melted off the Warthog.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fixed

They should have never been compared at all, is what I'm getting at.  We all understand that you like Invasion a lot.  That by itself should have nothing to do with your opinion of Dominion.

You're assuming all people in Warzone have no gunskill, or aiming capabilities. Quite untruthful, to be honest.

Are we playing the same game? In most of the Warzone games I've played half the players are still in the single digits for spartan kills at the end of the game.

I'm not saying ALL people in Warzone are garbage, but at least 90% of them are.

Are we playing the same game? In most of the Warzone games I've played half the players are still in the single digits for spartan kills at the end of the game.

What are you expecting? Its the only place someone can go if they want to play casually. Honesty Arena infuriates me in this game and Warzone Assault is basically all I play now considering solo queuing is a fucking nightmare.

I hate playing 8-man FFA in the same way that I hate playing Octagon customs. You can't take either of the modes seriously, and enjoy them as a legitimate game mode, because they are too chaotic.

omg don't remind me of Octogon, it was one of my favourite custom games, I miss it soooooo much  :cry:

Now I'm supposed to play fucking warzone to warm up and have stupid fun with mates? fucking hell 343 you're killing me

I am completely confused on whether you guys love or hate halo 5

There will be those that defend 343 and/or Halo 5, and then there will be those that dont.   People can enjoy what they want, but it still baffles me that anyone would freely handover more money to 343 after all they have done and not done.  

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

There will be those that defend 343 and/or Halo 5, and then there will be those that dont. People can enjoy what they want, but it still baffles me that anyone would freely handover more money to 343 after all they have done and not done.

Its OK Little Bear

I usually end up the same, despite my skill, mainly because I spend a ton of time just running around the map, or going to do objectives, such as base caps, where the only kills I get are from Marines, the rest being assists in the cap process as enemies push in. :P Don't judge player's skill levels solely on their kill count.

There was no insidious motivation behind going all ranked for Arena. That was the design intent of the team working on that experience. That said, we've heard the requests and we are actively working towards supporting unranked playlists for Arena in a future update. It may seem straightforward on the surface but lighting up unranked play in Arena is not as simple as flipping a switch.

TLDR; We hear you, and are working on it.

AYEEEEEEEEEEEE

There was no insidious motivation behind going all ranked for Arena. That was the design intent of the team working on that experience. That said, we've heard the requests and we are actively working towards supporting unranked playlists for Arena in a future update. It may seem straightforward on the surface but lighting up unranked play in Arena is not as simple as flipping a switch.

TLDR; We hear you, and are working on it.

How about some HCS news?