CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't care if he is ranked Champion in every playlist. He's a well known player that in sure has a full team of other good players when he plays. Unfortunately it's not a luxury I get when I get online. But still contesting the OS player was stupid. From the video we can see that OS player slides into the room, he instantly starts shooting at him, then the other player is immediately there. Both players should have been on radar, which means as soon as he saw a spartan with a Green Shield around him that he needed to go attack the other one. It's not rocket science to not contest a player with OS.

Implying Vetoed is only good because of his team mates.

I'm sure he has plenty of team mates when he plays FFA. :rolleyes:

Players are only on radar when you're within a centimetre of them and they have to be moving fast enough.

Reminds me of the time when people on Bungie.net were saying Ogre 2 wasn't good after watching the video when he went 42-0 on Lockout because he missed a few sniper shots.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Great gameplay analysis by Ace

But guys, we have a real problem. It's pretty noticable but until Ace picks up a BR or DMR, he's constantly using the AR over the magnum. It's just way too powerful against the magnum in most ranges, and you can see in the killfeed thats its not just him, every other player is doing the same, the magnum is worse than the AR, let alone the BR and DMR.

You also might notice Ace picking up the storm rifle later in the game and completely melting. He trades with it a couple times even at a big health disadvantage.

He also refers to using the radar to know where the enemy is, which is just so ridiculous in a competitive setting, especially with pro's intentionally crouching.

This is really really bad. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

The chart's wrong, just so you know.

Also, that would make automatics useless.

How the hell would it make automatics useless?

If you get the jump on someone you win.

If your opponent misses a shot or 2 you win.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

"Situational role", meaning an easy gun for bad players? I really can't see what automatics that are as easy as the AR/SMG/SR add to the game.

Automatics are very useful for depleting OS, revealing invisible players, and for ambushing. If they were balanced accordingly to play that role, it'd be fine.

The game could have shipped with 0 automatics and the only thing 343 would have needed to figure out was how to spin it to appeal to /r/halo and Waypoint. And we would have a much better game on our hands.

That's a stupid idea. The AR, the Storm/Plasma Rifle, and the Needler are core weapons in the franchise. We wouldn't have a better game, we'd have an emptier game.

There's nothing wrong with automatics. There's something wrong when automatics are better AND easier to use than precision weapons.

Even in Halo CE there's plenty of times I'd use the AR. On an OS guy, on a camo guy, if I know I'm about to run into someone at point blank range, etc. The AR in CE could have used a slight buff to bring it slightly closer to the pistol at close range, but pretending it wasn't useful in Halo 1 is ignorant.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Automatics are very useful for depleting OS, revealing invisible players, and for ambushing. If they were balanced accordingly to play that role, it'd be fine.

These really aren't important reasons to justify automatics in comp settings at the state they're in with H5. After H2/H3/Reach, I think I can safely say we'll live without them. Forgive me, but I'd lunge at any gametype without automatics.

That's a stupid idea. The AR, the Storm/Plasma Rifle, and the Needler are core weapons in the franchise. We wouldn't have a better game, we'd have an emptier game.

So just for the sake of tradition, then. Why do we need 3 weapons which have the same function with only marginal differences in range and damage? Why are plasma weapons absolutely shredding health? Why are SMGs and ARs absolutely shredding shields? These guns all have the same role. Same can be said for precision weapons. Just keep one and fuck the rest at this point.

After what happened to this game, I'd much rather have an "emptier" game than whatever we have now.

Implying Vetoed is only good because of his team mates.

I'm sure he has plenty of team mates when he plays FFA. :rolleyes:

Players are only on radar when you're within a centimetre of them and they have to be moving fast enough.

Reminds me of the time when people on Bungie.net were saying Ogre 2 wasn't good after watching the video when he went 42-0 on Lockout because he missed a few sniper shots.

I never implied that actually. When I was grinding FFA I got as high as Champion 4. So I think I know a little bit about what I'm saying.

These really aren't important reasons to justify automatics in comp settings at the state they're in with H5. After H2/H3/Reach, I think I can safely say we'll live without them.

Halo 5 isn't other Halo games. Isn't this the same argument that the BR Starts people use?

So just for the sake of tradition, then. Why do we need 3 weapons which have the same function with only marginal differences in range and damage? Why are plasma weapons absolutely shredding health? Why are SMGs and ARs absolutely shredding shields? These guns all have the same role. Same can be said for precision weapons. Just keep one and fuck the rest at this point.

After what happened to this game, I'd much rather have an "emptier" game than whatever we have now.

Nope, it's not just tradition. Weapon diversity is useful for someone like me. Remember, I'm a Forger.

If I have sightlines but I don't want a Sniper Rifle, I can substitute in a Light Rifle. It may be marginally different from the Magnum, but its superior zoom makes it a good weapon drop.

If I want to place down CQC weapons in an area but I don't want to use a Shotgun, I can place down an SMG. Similarly, if I have a small map where an SMG would dominate too much, I can place down a Storm Rifle instead to avoid snowballing.

If you want to complain about the abundance of weapons, blame 343's map designers. I don't know why Empire has a Shotgun, an SMG, and a Storm Rifle. If it were up to me, it'd have just two Shotguns instead.

There's nothing wrong with automatics. There's something wrong when automatics are better AND easier to use than precision weapons.

Even in Halo CE there's plenty of times I'd use the AR. On an OS guy, on a camo guy, if I know I'm about to run into someone at point blank range, etc. The AR in CE could have used a slight buff to bring it slightly closer to the pistol at close range, but pretending it wasn't useful in Halo 1 is ignorant.

yup, the ar had its uses and was respected for them, now autos are just noob weapons.

Uh, that does encourage player movement...

2 OS in different areas of the map coming up at different times and occasionally appearing together is one of the best ways to promote player movement.

It doesn't HAVE to be dynamic spawns, it can be static as well with the same result.

Dynamic spawns are fine. The only reason Halo players don't like them is because 343 made it so weapons don't spawn until depleted and dropped which is dumb since it means you can hold onto a weapon indefinitely and remove it form the map altogether.

They work well in UT. You just have to know how to predict the timings. Plenty of times I've run into an opponent with the OS because they got it first and then I made sure to pick up the next one by estimating when they picked it up.

Since Vetoed is Challenger in every play list I feel like 343 should hire him to replace the pro team.

Perhaps we'll get Halo back.

I can't wait for my capture card to arrive... There's SOOOOO many issues with this game, but most of them could could be fixed if 343 is willing to admit there's an issue with the weapon balance.

The kill times on the weapons in this game completely contradict their ease of use.

Spray and pray automatics are destroying precision weapons in close-mid range combat. I find myself running around with an SMG as my primary weapon half the time.

So many people here are completely missing the point when it comes to weapon balance.

We can't just make the magnum a 4 shot kill and call it a day.

Even if the magnum was a 4 shot kill the automatic weapons are still ridiculous. If the Halo 5 SMG was in Halo 1 you'd see me running around with the SMG instead of the Pistol FFS.

The rifles would still be completely out classed by AR spam.

The rifles would become completely useless which removes 4 weapons from the sandbox immediately.

And at the end of the day we'd be left in the same situation as the Halo 1 pistol where everyone bitches that the pistol is the most powerful weapon in the game. The utility weapon needs to be the DMR or BR (pref DMR since it's single shot, not burst) since it looks far better for spectators to see people using a rifle over a pistol.

Just lower the autoaim on the rifles. Done. Problem solved.

If you say "The SMG is a power weapon", no offence, but please stop and let the big boys talk because you have no idea what you're talking about.

The SMG isn't a power weapon nor should it be treated like one. It should be treated as a useful close quarters weapon to have in your back pocket.

The SMG doesn't have a risk/reward nature behind it to make it deserving of a power weapon. It would also mean that other "power weapons" had to be removed from the map which means we'd either not see it or we'd end up with a thousand "power weapons" on the map. Yeah, no thanks.

It doesn't have a slow rate of fire like the shotgun.

It doesn't have splash damage or slow projectile speed like the rocket launcher.

It doesn't have precision required like the sniper rifle.

It's not a power weapon. It has a huge magazine, it's hit scan, high autoaim and plenty of extra ammo.

"But Pyroteq, the rocket launcher doesn't take skill either".

Actually, it does. You can fire prediction rockets. You can lead long range shots with it. You have to be careful of the splash damage. You have to know the best location to aim it - Eg. you can aim at the ground under a player, the ceiling above them, the wall behind them, etc. The Rocket Launcher definitely isn't hard to use, but it sure as hell takes 10X's more skill to use than the SMG.

I probably get more kills when I pick up an SMG than I do when I pick up the rocket launcher.

Read that sentence again. Now stop and think. Let that sink in.

The weapon balance in this game is easily the worst in the entire Halo series.

If this was fixed the game would immediately become 10X's better (along with an aiming fix).

I have thought this to be the case with so many people complaining about how easy the rifles are to use, and how the aiming must be mastered for the pistol. I can imagine a spartan with his pistol telling granny that it takes a lot of practice to master the pistol and that she needs to be patient with herself, all the while she smiles and says, "I know..." and pulls out her AR. From everything I have read here, the AR is the short cut for noobs so that they don't need to learn how to use the pistol, but the pistol was made hard to master to give all of you the illusion that this is a competitive game. 343 has something for everyone, even if it is entirely useless.

That is how I see the game through all your posts... tell me if I am wrong...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wait, I just realized something.

Put the SMG and the Storm Rifle on Tier 2 timers.

Boom, now they're sub-power weapons.

Problem fucking solved.

Wait, I just realized something.

Put the SMG and the Storm Rifle on Tier 2 timers.

Boom, now they're sub-power weapons.

Problem fucking solved.

or keep them in warzone only since the ar fills the same role.

or keep them in warzone only since the ar fills the same role.

Not really, since they kill faster than the AR at the cost of having less range.

I think they could work well as low-level Tier 2 pickups on CQC-heavy maps like Empire, since they're so powerful. Hell, if you took out all the automatics on that map and replaced the zero-ammo Shotgun with a Tier 1 Storm Rifle with a longer respawn timer, it'd still be a good pickup.

Then maybe there might actually be room for a Camo somewhere. It's what I would do.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm reaching my limit with this game. Empire and Fathom might be the worst maps I've played in a while for "competitive". The railgun is ridiculous and the LR is annoying. And Empire, well we know how that goes. But you know why Empire sucks so bad? FUCKING RADAR AND STIRM RIFLES. EVERYONE CAMPS IN THE CORNER WITH STORM RIFLES AND JUST SITS THERE. I CANNOT ENJOY THIS GAME MAN.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

From everything I have read here, the AR is the short cut for noobs so that they don't need to learn how to use the pistol, but the pistol was made hard to master to give all of you the illusion that this is a competitive game. 343 has something for everyone, even if it is entirely useless.

That is how I see the game through all your posts... tell me if I am wrong...

You can quote certain parts BTW, you don't have to quote the entire post...

But basically the magnum just isn't as good as the AR. At mid-long range it's obviously more useful, but anywhere under mid range you might as well use the AR. Why risk missing a shot and dying when you can just spray your bullet hose and get the same result?

The game punishes you for using a skill based precision weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You can quote certain parts BTW, you don't have to quote the entire post...

But basically the magnum just isn't as good as the AR. At mid-long range it's obviously more useful, but anywhere under mid range you might as well use the AR. Why risk missing a shot and dying when you can just spray your bullet hose and get the same result?

The game punishes you for using a skill based precision weapon.

Can't believe this is what Halo has come to. Just think about CE for a minute. Look how fucking far we've gone.

I'm reaching my limit with this game. Empire and Fathom might be the worst maps I've played in a while for "competitive". The railgun is ridiculous and the LR is annoying. And Empire, well we know how that goes. But you know why Empire sucks so bad? FUCKING RADAR AND STIRM RIFLES. EVERYONE CAMPS IN THE CORNER WITH STORM RIFLES AND JUST SITS THERE. I CANNOT ENJOY THIS GAME MAN.

Is your issue the maps or the weapon placements?

IMO the maps are pretty strong. There's nothing that really stands out as an instant classic, but it's still a decent offering of both asymmetric and symmetrical maps and they're certainly better than we've seen shipped at launch than most Halo games so far.

The weapons and power ups on the other hand could certainly use adjusting and the fact we won't have Forge for a while makes this pretty pathetic.

I've already got ideas I'd like to play around with but I've just got to keep them in the back of my head until Forge finally releases.

I know i bitched the whole time in mcc that we needed more ranked playlist, but that didn't mean take social out completely We really need a social playlist. i am high onyx in everything, and can't enjoy one night of relaxing and playing with friends its a sweat fest 24/7.

It's been great playing Reach BTB again and actually being able to kill AR noobs with my DMR. What were they thinking with these overpowered autos? Did they have any inclination on how it would ruin the game?

Is your issue the maps or the weapon placements?

IMO the maps are pretty strong. There's nothing that really stands out as an instant classic, but it's still a decent offering of both asymmetric and symmetrical maps and they're certainly better than we've seen shipped at launch than most Halo games so far.

The weapons and power ups on the other hand could certainly use adjusting and the fact we won't have Forge for a while makes this pretty pathetic.

I've already got ideas I'd like to play around with but I've just got to keep them in the back of my head until Forge finally releases.

Well I've never played a different layout so I don't know if the maps themselves are any good. But Empire definitely needs to fix placements. Waaaaay too many cqc maps. And Fathom as well. I do think the railgun needs to go though. Or only give it like 4 shots at the most.

It's been great playing Reach BTB again and actually being able to kill AR noobs with my DMR. What were they thinking with these overpowered autos? Did they have any inclination on how it would ruin the game?

It didn't ruin the game. This game has a completely different set of balance compared to previous games. 

Or, we could have another Halo 3 where you literally have no reason to ever use anything BUT the BR.

• Downvote (-1) 9

It didn't ruin the game. This game has a completely different set of balance compared to previous games. 

Or, we could have another Halo 3 where you literally have no reason to ever use anything BUT the BR.

Halo 3 had other weapons?