CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Bro...this is exactly the game they wanted to make. We have to come to terms with this. All of this was tested for 3 years. The Pro Team has completely fucking failed this community and the rest of the halo community. Halo's identity is lost with Halo 5. This shit remind of one of these military shooters where I can either spawn with an AR and run around spraying and praying for kills till the game is over. This is terrible.

Why did you buy it ? :(

Doubles has left me feeling very conflicted.

On the one hand it's a lot less chaotic than 4v4 and I think that I can appreciate some of the maps better. Plus they made it Slayer only, which like FFA, is a massive improvement over Bungie's attempts to throw all sorts of poorly thought out objective gametypes into these playlists.

On the other hand just like Halo 2-4 the game is clearly not balanced around 2v2 and nor are the maps. Power weapons and the Overshield last a lot longer and are much more dominant when you've got half as many people capable of shooting you at once, and this leads to ridiculous snowballing resulting in one team being able to outfit both players with duplicate power weapons such as the Fuel Rod/Railgun/Sniper etc.

Additionally the whole "Storm Rifles on Empire are way too close together" issue is extrapolated by the fact that 2 Storm Rifles vs no Storm Rifles isn't something that can really be overcome on a map that doesn't really have anything on it that allows for counterplay against passively baiting players into the storm once a lead has already been established.

Ultimately I think that map layouts need adjusting for 2v2 in this game.

Camo should be a requirement - it's the only powerup in the game that can really be used to break a passive play.

The pistol absolutely needs to be more powerful. It's one thing to be the way it is in a 4v4, but in a 2v2 the individual needs even more agency with their starting weapons; being able to fight back against power weapons is crucial.

Finally some kind of nerf for the automatics wouldn't be amiss either. I love the Storm Rifle, but given that it doesn't get a headshot bonus it's utterly ridiculous. Slowing the actual projectile speed of the thing might be an interesting place to start, as would making it burn through its battery more quickly.

the AR and SMG's headshot bonuses, while being a neat idea at first tend to lend themselves to luck more than skill in actual gameplay - I don't think either would suffer from no longer having that bonus and they would feel much more consistent as far as their role in the sandbox is concerned.

xboxdvr.com/Batchford/c0ef4e08-2fbc-464d-aff5-509e271d93f1

Watch this and attempt to tell me that the current sandbox is fine and doesn't need changed. 

Halo is not about precision weapons and positioning anymore. Nope. It is about running around/crouching with automatics. What a shame.

And there are people on there that don't think the AR needs to be toned down. The pro-AR side has been dying down on Beyond, so maybe they came to their senses after playing it more, but holy hell was the first few days on here annoying with that support of that weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I said before this game launched that there would be problems with powerful autos and weak precisions. Looks like I was 100% right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

xboxdvr.com/Batchford/c0ef4e08-2fbc-464d-aff5-509e271d93f1

Watch this and attempt to tell me that the current sandbox is fine and doesn't need changed.

Halo is not about precision weapons and positioning anymore. Nope. It is about running around/crouching with automatics. What a shame.

So this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but here it goes: while I do agree that you got melted a lot faster than expected, I think there's a few things you could have done better in this situation. With the score being that close to the end, I don't think being out in the open was a good idea. The carbine is one of the more difficult precision weapons to use and you did miss a couple shots with it. Once you realized he had an automatic and you had no help, you should have thrusted away instead of challenging. Obviously this is easy for me to say watching a clip and I know automatics are overpowered and imbalanced in the sandbox, but this clip in particular isn't a black and white example for the debate. Just my opinion though. I would have been pissed too.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 4

I see people crouch walk out in the open all the time, even on Warzone. I don't get it. Do they think that's actually helping? I've never seen it this bad before.

Toggle crouch enabled by default

Radar exists so people will crouch around

Crouching reduces spread and recoil on most gun

It really is helping.

Batch and I vs. rank 1 in Doubles earlier... this gif sums up the entire game.

eeae3a6a2cbe5f0036ef71df1ef5ec81.gif

Did both of them have Storm Rifles? Like you challenged a full OS guy, in doubles.

Okay one guy grabs the sniper on Plaza in doubles, and they pull a system pretty god damn hard.

How do you counter that OP garbage. Also the jump and thrust was real. Not having any part of that.

Bro...this is exactly the game they wanted to make. We have to come to terms with this. All of this was tested for 3 years. The Pro Team has completely fucking failed this community and the rest of the halo community. Halo's identity is lost with Halo 5. This shit remind of one of these military shooters where I can either spawn with an AR and run around spraying and praying for kills till the game is over. This is terrible.

Ugh, I hate posts like this. 

At what point did people decide that the pro team had the final say in everything that happens in Halo 5? Sure, they work there and sure, they're testers but they aren't the developers. They test shit and say yes/no, it's up to the actual multiplayer teams to listen to what they said and actually make changes. If you think Halo 5 is a mess and someone has 'fucking failed this community" then you should be blaming those people, not the pro team.

Unless I'm missing a tweet, post or blog post from any member of the pro team saying "Hey, we did this. If it sucks, blame us and not the team leaders" then please, stop blaming them. 

This is the same company that released Halo 4 and had their head MP guy say it was perfectly good for eSports, which clearly was not the case and this guy still works with the MP team, albeit probably more on Warzone than Arena. 

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

SMG, which is even worse considering it is supposed to be only used in POINT BLANK.

Lol

So youre finally admitting you were wrong about the smg.

Ive started to pick up the smg and storm rifle all the time now. They are like power weapons.

The funny thing about the storm rifle is that you can empty the entire clip shooting practically non stop if you do it right. Just need to tap the trigger once when its almost full and you can continue spamming. 

Honestly its quite hilarious how the automatics are the actual utility weapons in this game. Storm rifle for anything up close to mid range, and an AR for all other ranges. I've AR'ed a guy bridge to bridge on coliseum before. Wasn't even zooming either. Poor guy thought he should use a pistol at that range instead of adapting to the crispy #h5meta.

I'd just like to quote this for some serious emphasis.

I don't care how much of a pariah it makes me to say this, the pros have proven that either they cannot be trusted to stand for decent competitive principles in Halo (whether it be in the face of personal gain, or they just don't know how to do it), or they were garish PR hires and little else. There is nothing about this game that suggests anyone took care to look at the fine details of combat; like all other Halos, it was about cramming new features into it even if you had to fit them in sideways, and like all other Halos it becomes something almost worst than a grossly unbalanced experience - rather, it has been reduced to a gray and undifferentiated blob.

I think there is undeniably some influence from them. Although they have no control over core gameplay (sprint for example MUST be in the game) and are only in the position of advisers. Their feedback is taken in but is second to 343's "greater vision".

The PW nading pretty much sums it up. A great idea (most likely from the pros) to bring back nade tricks. The problem is how it's in the game. A apparent compromise or half measure. Only able to do it with Plasmas.

I think hiring the pros made H5 better but it's not enough because the people who design the core experience and are really shaping the game have a completly different idea of what Halo should be. The pros positive influence, trying to make the game work better with feedback from playtesting is comparable with a nurse trying to treat an acid wound when there are only some paper towels available.

I think there is undeniably some influence from them. Although they have no control over core gameplay (sprint for example MUST be in the game) and are only in the position of advisers. Their feedback is taken in but is second to 343's "greater vision".

The PW nading pretty much sums it up. A great idea (most likely from the pros) to bring back nade tricks. The problem is how it's in the game. A apparent compromise or half measure. Only able to do it with Plasmas.

I think hiring the prod made H5 better but it's not enough because the people who design the core experience and are really shaping the game have a completly different idea pf what Halo should be. The pros positive influence is comparable with a nurse trying to treat an acid wound with some paper towels.

Precisely. Anyone claiming they were 'PR hires' is out of their minds. Without sounding like a complete ass, it's a case of egos. We've seen time and time again that some developers won't accept they're in the wrong about some things and as a result, Halo has ended up worse. Sprint is literally the biggest example of this. If the pro team had the final say in everything, it would be gone in an instant.

--

Question for people who are playing a ton of Arena - when you find a BR/DMR/LightRifle, are you dropping your Pistol to pick it up or your Assault Rifle?

Recently I was dropping my Assault Rifle and was leaving myself with precision & utility weapon but I'm normally keeping it as AR & BR/DMR/LightRifle these days because of how easy an Assault Rifle clean up can be.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Ive started to pick up the smg and storm rifle all the time now. They are like power weapons.

But... I don't want to use the SMG, you can't make me.

I have too much fun with the pistol as is (despite it being weak), and it sucks that I would end up having to pick up automatics sooner or later... :/

Question for people who are playing a ton of Arena - when you find a BR/DMR/LightRifle, are you dropping your Pistol to pick it up or your Assault Rifle?

I drop the AR immediately. Seriously, the weapon's useless to me. Always go Magnum, and then BR/DMR/LR.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I drop the AR immediately. Seriously, the weapon's useless to me. Always go Magnum, and then BR/DMR/LR.

You think? I used to think the same but once I saw how easy it was to use and how crouching reduces recoil and spread, I had to keep it - especially with headshots playing a factor non-shielded enemies.

Recently I was dropping my Assault Rifle and was leaving myself with precision & utility weapon but I'm normally keeping it as AR & BR/DMR/LightRifle these days because of how easy an Assault Rifle clean up can be.

I used to drop my AR cos I've always done that but now I'll drop my pistol.

I'm finding the Dmr/smg combo way too strong but I love it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I still drop the AR as I really like the pistol, but its probably not a good idea. Autos are too powerful in this, I always pick the Storm Rifle up.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh drop the pistol for sure, no question. AR is just too good up close and as a finisher for when you run out of pistol ammo. 

I'd just like to quote this for some serious emphasis.

I don't care how much of a pariah it makes me to say this, the pros have proven that either they cannot be trusted to stand for decent competitive principles in Halo (whether it be in the face of personal gain, or they just don't know how to do it), or they were garish PR hires and little else. There is nothing about this game that suggests anyone took care to look at the fine details of combat; like all other Halos, it was about cramming new features into it even if you had to fit them in sideways, and like all other Halos it becomes something almost worst than a grossly unbalanced experience - rather, it has been reduced to a gray and undifferentiated blob. 

Let's be honest. If you were the hiring manager, who are the pros you would look at to make a good competitive Halo? Here are names that come to my mind: Gandhi, Shockwave, Ogre 1 or 2, Walshy, Lunchbox, Elamite.

Who are the pros we got? Neighbor, Dersky, Side, Ghost.

You can't claim to be serious about competitive viability and then make blatantly sub-optimal choices to accomplish the task.

• Downvote (-1) 5

I don't use the br, barely use the ar, have never used the storm rifle or light rifle, I just stick to the pistol and go for power weapons, it works out most of the time, but there are definitely times where I get mowed down by team ars.

Let's be honest. If you were the hiring manager, who are the pros you would look at to make a good competitive Halo? Here are names that come to my mind: Gandhi, Shockwave, Ogre 1 or 2, Walshy, Lunchbox, Elamite.

Who are the pros we got? Neighbor, Dersky, Side, Ghost.

You can't claim to be serious about competitive viability and then make blatantly sub-optimal choices to accomplish the task.

Man, you have zero grasp on reality.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1