CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I hat how forge has a "look", we should be able to adjust things like roughness or shine, make it appear damaged of we want, and of course we should be able to choose between different art pallets, rather than be stuck with the one, the line btween dev maps and community maps is still outrages.

What I've been wanting since Reach is a tool similar to Black Ops 3's weapon skin creator where we can apply different designs and materials to a wall or something.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No way, I'll take H5's colorful forge pallete over Reach's boring gray anyday.

I haven't seen anyone take issue with the ability to select primary, secondary and tertiary colors in Halo 5's Forge mode, or argue for the return of Reach's ubiquitous grey; the issue is the bland nature of the pieces themselves. They lack detail and there doesn't appear to be some kind of texture selection to address this, for example, it would be great if one could select block themes such as Human, Covenant or Forerunner, and the textures would change accordingly.

• Upvote (+1) 5

At this point I can't even get mad about 343's practices anymore. Just frustrated and disappointed.

My best case scenario is Halo ends after 6 and 343 makes a new IP. Maybe they'll make a Halo: Arena spinoff, no campaign or story mode, where they just keep adding onto the multiplayer ala CSGO for years and years--I mean, H5's multiplayer is pretty good, if not particularly Halo-esque. Then maybe it'll have enough content eventually.

Forge should have texture "sets". Like, different textures per piece of different, matching colors/patterns/etc. that imply different settings. 

1. A gray, metallic set for an active UNSC base. 
2. A brown, damaged set to imply an abandoned human location. 

3. A swampy, rusted green
4. A purple, iridescent set for a covenant look.
5. A white/gray set with glowy bits for Forerunner. 

6. This, for great epilepsy

• Upvote (+1) 2

REACHJanuaryJune201124hrUU.png

iXDonXh.gif

thank you.

Just because people got up and walked out the door on Reach within the first 30 days means nothing about how others loved it. Reach had a very vibrant customs/forge population. I remember many lobbies where people were busting the doors to get in that I was hosting or helping others host. That lasted well past a year or two before people started to dwindle away. It never nose dived, it just slowly dissipated over its life. Halo 4 nose dived. It bombed out of existence in just a few months. I believe Reach has more population than H4 even today.

I really hate the armor lock. Honestly if the AAs were not in the game and the DMR simply wasn't introduced at all (with its bloom), then I think Reach would have been solid during its life. It sported the very best and most complex asymmetric game type ever (Invasion), and it introduced head hunter and stock pile.

Those were fun days in forging and customs.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Looking at gamercards, i am in fact matching players in europe. i live pretty much at the top of the West coast.

its not every game. But frequently enough its annoying. im sure the European players are hating it too.

I haven't seen anyone take issue with the ability to select primary, secondary and tertiary colors in Halo 5's Forge mode, or argue for the return of Reach's ubiquitous grey; the issue is the bland nature of the pieces themselves. They lack detail and there doesn't appear to be some kind of texture selection to address this, for example, it would be great if one could select block themes such as Human, Covenant or Forerunner, and the textures would change accordingly.

WRONG

The fact that you can make solid colors without lines running through the blocks is a freaking massive improvement. You dont want detail. We have had nothing but detail and it was nothing but visual noise. What little I have seen thus far is, well, 75% what I asked for. I am on the fence about buying H5 only for its forge. I just don't see taking the time to get into it, but I might.

WRONG

The fact that you can make solid colors without lines running through the blocks is a freaking massive improvement. You dont want detail. We have had nothing but detail and it was nothing but visual noise. What little I have seen thus far is, well, 75% what I asked for. I am on the fence about buying H5 only for its forge. I just don't see taking the time to get into it, but I might.

Phew, thanks for telling me what I want. It gets so difficult sometimes, I'm glad I've got you.

In all seriousness though, I'm advocating for choice: having texture sets or block themes, such as Human, Covenant or Forerunner. There is no reason there couldn't be a 'plain' option, for those that want to minimize visual noise such as yourself.

Okay makes sense. I was just skimming through the thread and it seemed like that's what people were saying. I agree, they could use some more texture. I think 343 heard about all the issues with framerate in H2A and decided to avoid a lot of texture.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forge should have texture "sets". Like, different textures per piece of different, matching colors/patterns/etc. that imply different settings. 

1. A gray, metallic set for an active UNSC base. 

2. A brown, damaged set to imply an abandoned human location. 

3. A swampy, rusted green

4. A purple, iridescent set for a covenant look.

5. A white/gray set with glowy bits for Forerunner. 

6. This, for great epilepsy

forge should be excluded from matchmaking, period. Theres nothing worse than newcomers making their first impression video for halo 5 and their first match to be on orion. Or how broken spawns are. Or how broken the lighting is. It is ugly. a youtuber still thinks orion is a default map. He included in his review that Halo 5 has drastically reduced the graphics for smooth MP gameplay (and used orion as an example). 

If 343's maps had quality AND quantity, We wouldn't have these 2 ugly maps included to the rotation. And we could leave forge as a tool for custom games only. Either that, or give us a pc tool to make maps and import it to the xbox.

As much as I love this game I seriously can't play it by myself without someone quitting out the second their team goes down. I hope they make the penalties more severe because MCC really ruined the competitive aspect of halo's matchmaking

The severs are such garage. like where im i connecting to? Europe? i get worried worse in h5 then laggy h3

Do the servers play Heavy Metal by any chance? Is that the problem?

• Upvote (+1) 5

Phew, thanks for telling me what I want. It gets so difficult sometimes, I'm glad I've got you.

In all seriousness though, I'm advocating for choice: having texture sets or block themes, such as Human, Covenant or Forerunner. There is no reason there couldn't be a 'plain' option, for those that want to minimize visual noise such as yourself.

Honestly, you have no idea how many times people say they want something only to discover it isn't doing what they thought it would do. Forge Island was a result of such a request by a vocal group of forgers. What a freaking disaster.

You want textures? What kind? Because what you want most others will find visually noisy, and you would too when you see how they are used.

H4 textures out of the box were what people screamed for. Human textures. Well they were far worse than Reach's textures.

You can sarcastically tell me I am overreaching in my opinion, but I really think I know what I am talking about here. I will stand by what I said.

I dont mind choice. I mind how much choice and how bad of options are handed to people to make a bigger mess of things. I like what I see thus far. The interns have worked with what they have in very little time. But in time you should see amazing stuff. Of the two maps we have seen, the Headlong remake/reimagined/relived/reworked/rewonked is like a Gumby cartoon. It is unimaginable that a cartographer put that together and remains as a cartographer (but I digress). The other one looks like metalic everywhere and lacks the details of textures you see on Longbow. BUT that doesn't mean that was the only way it could be made to look. We don't know what is available, but I can tell you I wouldn't settle for something that simple looking. I am highly confident that it could have been much better looking. But do you need the rusty details? Absolutely not. You don't want that. That is exactly what was most wrong with Forge 4.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly, you have no idea how many times people say they want something only to discover it isn't doing what they thought it would do. Forge Island was a result of such a request by a vocal group of forgers. What a freaking disaster.

You want textures? What kind? Because what you want most others will find visually noisy, and you would too when you see how they are used.

H4 textures out of the box were what people screamed for. Human textures. Well they were far worse than Reach's textures.

You can sarcastically tell me I am overreaching in my opinion, but I really think I know what I am talking about here. I will stand by what I said.

I'm not suggesting that your complaints about visual noise are unreasonable at all. What I'm suggesting is that in a community map-creation tool, players should have options to create the maps they desire; I believe that's fundamental to any sort of custom experience, and is why Halo 5 needs increased custom game options. If players want to minimize visual noise, they should be able to, and if this results in better Forge maps, then with proper File Sharing functionality, these will make their way around and be appreciated by the community at large. If other players want to create their own maps with greater texture detail, despite increased visual noise, they should have the freedom to do so, and nothing of that would be forced on other players, as there is no reason that they would have to play on the maps such players forge.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Neighbor just said (on Randa's stream) that LT-scope is a big advantage - it automatically scopes back in, if you hold it down. Thoughts? 

I'm not suggesting that your complaints about visual noise are unreasonable at all. What I'm suggesting is that in a community map-creation tool, players should have options to create the maps they desire; I believe that's fundamental to any sort of custom experience, and is why Halo 5 needs increased custom game options. If players want to minimize visual noise, they should be able to, and if this results in better Forge maps, then with proper File Sharing functionality, these will make their way around and be appreciated by the community at large. If other players want to create their own maps with greater texture detail, despite increased visual noise, they should have the freedom to do so, and nothing of that would be forced on other players, as there is no reason that they would have to play on the maps such players forge.

Yes, and with that I will end my part of this discourse by saying that there is a limited amount of texture/objects that they can pack into the game. That limitation is what prevents unlimited choice, and what choice they pack into the game better be the cleanest available, or people will make a mess. I can tell you that there are some forgers that forge pretty good competitive maps (and I will not name gamertags here) that even with Forge 5 I am confident they will not be able to make a decent looking map, because they have no eye for art whatsoever. It is sad, but it is the way people are. Give those people noise and you got really messed up looking maps that play great. Give them what we see and they will make decent looking maps that play great.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Neighbor just said (on Randa's stream) that LT-scope is a big advantage - it automatically scopes back in, if you hold it down. Thoughts? 

They didn't fix that? 

ugh

Just tested it, you don't automatically rescope if you hold it down.

It's a Forge map by The Psycho Duck from when the Cartographers were flown out to 343's offices. The forgers all made a map apiece during the week, and the 343i Staff spent the following 5 weeks working on them. This was explained in the Bulletin as well as Episode 4 of The Sprint (season 3).

Looks like ass. Too much grey. Lord knows what else this amateur screwed up with the map.

That's what happens when you bring in not talent amateurs like the Cartographers to build a map. Only decent looking map of this release is the Longbow successor. Pretty sad.

Can we not insult Psychoduck? It's incredibly tasteless, given that the map's ugliness isn't even his fault.

If you look at the images, you can see that the geometry is very well done. Ultimately, the utter lack of texture diversity is 343's fault.

• Upvote (+1) 5

They didn't fix that? 

ugh

It was a complaint during the beta, and Josh commented on NeoGAF that they would not be fixing it (at that time at least):

Thanks for the note.

We tried this setting and while on paper it should be equivalent, the perception amongst players was significantly worse when having to release and re-engage a trigger button to re-enter scope. FWIW, we have found that the vast majority of players (especially good players don't re-engage scope once they are de-scoped until the enemy is killed. This is because they are likely to vacillate between the two settings as a result of sustained fire and it makes their shot less predictable as a result.

For now we have settled on this difference as in sustained testing we see no functional advantage and it makes a significant difference in player perception, but we will keep looking at it and appreciate the feedback.

/Josh

Yes, and with that I will end my part of this discourse by saying that there is a limited amount of texture/objects that they can pack into the game. That limitation is what prevents unlimited choice, and what choice they pack into the game better be the cleanest available, or people will make a mess. I can tell you that there are some forgers that forge pretty good competitive maps (and I will not name gamertags here) that even with Forge 5 I am confident they will not be able to make a decent looking map, because they have no eye for art whatsoever. It is sad, but it is the way people are. Give those people noise and you got really messed up looking maps that play great. Give them what we see and they will make decent looking maps that play great.

Certainly, and I understand that in the hands of some increased options can lead to an unsightly mess, but I do hope that the set of options available increases with new releases (as it should with new consoles). Thanks for the discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wish there was an option to choose your region for servers.  Like if you can't give me a game on a west coast server then I would rather not play.  My latency is gonna be trash even on a west coast server but it's better than being connected with canadian, australian, or european servers.  Why is this not an option?