CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Oh my god, someone who won't post a stream of memes. 

A "streme" if you will. 

Josh Memke

I'll be here all day.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@DoctorJ, is the H5 ranking system everything you wanted it to be, or were there some things you couldn't implement or had to compromise on? 

I approve of this question

I honestly thought I was the only one. I really can't wait for forge to come. I can't wait for a fresh breath of air and beautiful gametypes like Sumo, Dodgeball, and Ghostbusters to hit the Action Sack playlist (implying we actually get an action sack playlist).

Don't count on it. Knowing 343, they'll fuck it up. Like savage arbiter said, "Why couldn't they just delay the game until everything was finished?"

Not much really. I mean, the FPS and online gaming landscape has changed drastically since then.

Also, my memory of queuing for that is extremely long wait times, and then getting owned by people who always queue as parties.

As a noob myself (Gold 1!) my ideal (which no FPS I know of offers right now) would be to be able to party with friends, and match within a reasonable time against either a similar party, or 4 Platinum randos.

There's no perfect solution I know of given the constraints. Just a handful of compromises and you gotta choose.

What years were you searching and what playlist? As I rarely ever had this problem. Even in MLG (which had the lowest population out of the ranked 4v4 playlist as far as I'm aware, not counting team obj as that got removed) you could find games in threes/fours with no effort at all, even past 2010. Granted as the years went on the search times became longer but people still searched as a few extra minutes is easily worth a better quality game. You could even find games searching in a to3/4 as late as 2014 and there had been two new Halo games since then.

Some of best games of Halo mming I've ever had have been searching ranked with a three/four and playing another team of three/four as you know they are all going to be calling out and trying as much as you are and it makes the game that much more satisfying to win. I have had so many wins playing ranked solo where I had a three people with mics on my team all calling out and only to find out at the end of the game all four of the enemy team didn't have a single mic. It makes the win so much less satisfying.

I appreciate you taking the time to post here and replying to my post. I disagree about what you're saying with search times however. I've posted it before but I'll say it again, I think 343 and perhaps other companies underestimate that people are willing to wait a few extra minutes to find a better quality game, whether that be fair teams, better connection...whatever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You mean the ability to search a playlist and only find other parties of four?

:holmes:

No i was referring to what we were talking about when you quoted him lol. A premade-only playlist that ranks the group as a team not individually. Ranking up individually because you play with the same people all the time is an awful compromise, we just didn't have much of anything to compare it to back then. Plus with gaming's increase in popularity throughout the years people playing solo is more common.

I can see why there isn't, because population numbers wouldn't support it. But there has to be some sort of way to distinguish a "legit" solo-Diamond or solo X-ranked player from someone who is playing with a full party to obtain their rank, because it's fairly obvious people in a party have a much better chance of winning games than 4 randoms.

I for one prefer individual rank and team rank to just mishmashing everyone together.

You just make it so teams of 4 match teams of 4. Just like h3 did.

Its not rocket science.

No i was referring to what we were talking about when you quoted him lol. A premade-only playlist that ranks the group as a team not individually. Ranking up individually because you play with the same people all the time is an awful compromise, we just didn't have much of anything to compare it to back then.

Apologies, I didn't read past posts. How would ranking the whole group even work? What happens when you swap out a player, you have to get a rank all over again or the game just guesses what rank you should going off the three remaining player's past performances?

edit as you added more after I quoted;

"Plus with gaming's increase in popularity throughout the years people playing solo is more common."

Surely teams would be more common too then? Why would an increase in popularity be just to specific to solo players?

Here's the thing. Why do you think LoL is changing it? I don't know for sure myself, but if you read the rest of their changes, it suggests it's a matchmaking time waiting issue.

Quality > quantity. I'd rather wait for a good game than play multiple bad ones. The waiting issue can also be addressed by allowing players to play JIP social games while a ranked search is going on in the background, then when a game is found you get transferred to the lobby. That saves potentially staring at a blank lobby screen for however long.

The current version actually exceeded my expectations --- and my expectations were pretty high given how well I know the folks working on it.

There were compromises like everything, but given what I've seen so far, I'm pretty confident I their ability to improve things over time.

Thank you for answering, and thank you for stopping by man. :)

I suddenly feel less bad that all your kind died on Reach

somewhere....in the distant stars, far beyond you or I can see......

I'm having fun with shotty snipes to be honest. Only map that it plays absolutely terrible on is Empire but I'm having fast flowing games for the most part and I'm playing against champions and onyx. Didn't understand my placement though since me and my friend played in the exact same games and he got placed champion while I was placed diamond and I had a higher KDA. Makes zero sense to me.

TL;DR

• Fixes for international players being unable to search in matchmaking for high ping - released today
  • Warzone Assault tweaks are coming, will be discussed more next week
  • SWAT will be updated to remove friendly fire and add 3 seconds respawns
  • CSR tweaks and ban thresholds tweaks are coming
  • Four Forged BTB maps are releasing on November 16th

Deadlock - inspired by Standoff

Basin - inspired by Valhalla

Guillotine - inspired by Headlong

Recurve - inspired by Longbow

• A ton of new REQ content is being released on November 16th (only five new weapon skins)
  • A fix is in the works for the aiming issue and will be released soon
  • Future update in December will bring options for independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity and more

I wonder what the fix could be that they are testing for slow turn controllers 

I just don't understand this mindset of deserving a good rank in a TEAM playlist when playing solo.

If you go playing alone in a team based playlist you can't expect to ever place onyx/champion (ignoring wrong initial placements).

Of course i agree that the search algorithm should try to match party vs party and solo players vs solo players. But after a predetermined search time, the system should search in the whole population from players of similar rank.

To improve this situation i think 343 should do 3 things: 

- Implement a player choice of choosing fast search times or best skill matching (ala Halo 3).

- Improve initial placement accuracy.

- Search algorithm should try matching team vs team or solo vs solo.

Player can do this:

- Have a main account when you play with a team

- A secondary account for when you play alone.

This way you can have good matches in both accounts, of course in your solo account don't expect having a good rank.

I don't think separating the team based playlist in solo/team based is a good solution; the search times will be too high.

And about sandbox balancing?

And even though forge looks really good, I still hate how maps made in forge look like they were made in forge, why can't we be given different kinds of pallets instead of the plain one, why not give us human, covenant, and forerunner options for objects?

• Upvote (+1) 1

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/november-sneak-peek

TL;DR

• Fixes for international players being unable to search in matchmaking for high ping - released today
  • Warzone Assault tweaks are coming, will be discussed more next week
  • SWAT will be updated to remove friendly fire and add 3 seconds respawns
  • CSR tweaks and ban thresholds tweaks are coming
  • Four Forged BTB maps are releasing on November 16th

Deadlock - inspired by Standoff

Basin - inspired by Valhalla

Guillotine - inspired by Headlong

Recurve - inspired by Longbow

• A ton of new REQ content is being released on November 16th (only five new weapon skins)
  • A fix is in the works for the aiming issue and will be released soon
  • Future update in December will bring options for independent vertical/horizontal sensitivities, the ability to calibrate your own dead zones, more granularity in sensitivity and more

I think this may be an error in the Community Update. In the third episode of the latest season of The Sprint, 'Mr. October,' Basin is identified as the 343i developed Blood Gluch remake.