CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Fuck a god damn weapon sandbox man. Give me a 4sk pistol and just power weapons on the map.

I miss BR vs BR. No one had an advantage because they happened to have a better gun equipped.

Gun vs. the same gun was the biggest part of Halo to me. Even playing field no matter what, skill always won.

I hate this "oh I'm going in close range, gotta pull out my close range gun or else I'm toast" crap.

I'm not trying to sound like a downer and make fun of people who like to use different guns and stuff, but damn do I hate this military style strategic planning of what guns you need to have out at what range.

Does it not piss you off getting killed by someone who you KNOW is worse than you and they only won because they had a better gun out?

I use pistol 90% of the time, if an AR user killed me it's because he got the drop on me or I missed. Pistol is the vastly superior utility weapon.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I understand. I just think not using an overpowering/frustrating feature isn't the way to get it addressed. In fact, the more people that get frustrated by it, the more complaints will arise, and the more likely devs are to do something about it.

Also worth noting the amount of data games collect from matchmaking these days. 343 knows exactly how much damage each weapon is putting out, how many times it assists or finishes a kill, how often people are escaping fights and getting their shields back, basically whatever you can think of. If they hear a complaint, the first thing they will do is look at those numbers and see if they look "right". If everyone is playing solely to win, the numbers will show the more heavily abused tactics and then maybe they'll consider making a change. If the numbers look "right" they most likely won't unless the outcry from fans is massive.

when does the honeymoon phase end

judging by your profile pic your H2 honeymoon phase has lasted 10 years and is still not over so let people enjoy the game while they still can :kappa: 

Todays games have been really great! IF the game does not match you with a to4 and IF most players are about the same skill and IF people don't overuse the AR it is a lot of fun, until Orion starts showing up

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I use pistol 90% of the time, if an AR user killed me it's because he got the drop on me or I missed. Pistol is the vastly superior utility weapon.

The best Halo 5 players have a 60% shot accuracy with the pistol. So you will lose a lot of battles to an AR even if you are on the higher end of skill.

Getting killed by the easiest automatic weapon in the series when you have arguable the hardest utility weapon ever...come on man.

It's not your fault everytime when you die to an AR. It's generally just too strong compared to the weak pistol and a lot easier to use.

I may be late on saying this, but the amount of community feedback being implemented into Halo 5 just in the first week of release is insane compared to Halo 4 and, of course, the MCC. Bravo 343. Big step in the right direction.

Let's hope this stays consistent.  :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

I played on that map once, and just before I lagged out I was trying to get the damage boost. What the fuck is up with that placement?

IF the game does not match you with a to4 and IF most players are about the same skill and IF people don't overuse the AR it is a lot of fun

that's cute

I played on that map once, and just before I lagged out I was trying to get the damage boost. What the fuck is up with that placement?

I like the idea of having to do a "skill jump" to get to a power up or weapon, but I've only ever gotten to it once without getting picked off, and I've never seen someone else get it. Maybe we're all just bad players who don't understand when to jump for it, but in my experience it needs to have some blocked line of sight instead of being open to the whole map.

I understand. I just think not using an overpowering/frustrating feature isn't the way to get it addressed. In fact, the more people that get frustrated by it, the more complaints will arise, and the more likely devs are to do something about it.

EDIT: All of this reminded me of the fact I used to make my Halo 4 loadouts without an armor ability because I hated them that much.

I used to do that loadout thing too, then I just went with wallhacks (PV) when the BR became God. I don't think it was out of hatred, but because NONE were useful to me.  But I do know what you mean.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Weighing in on the ranking system debate:

I think only the winning team should gain rank points and only the losing team should lose them.

But I think there could be SLIGHT modifications to how many points each player gains/looses based on performance.

That performance modification should not be based on how they "placed" in the team but how they did compared to the average performance of the opposing team. This means any selfish play that hurts a teammate will increase your opponents stats and thus reduce the benefit gained from your selfishness.

Obviously the metrics for objective games are more complicated than slayer and should only take K/D into account in a minor way to prevent stat whoring n those gametypes.

That damage boost placement is a nice reflection of how 343 makes their maps. Overly complicated with no point other than to showcase their immersive abilities.

The fact of the matter is we've already tried this. Reach's ranked arena used a hybrid w/l k/d/a system and it was beyond a failure. Bungie had to patch it out of the game and go back to 100% win/loss. It produced a literal gongshow. All ranking based on stats does is turn a 4v4 into an 8 man FFA where half the people are blue and half are red. When the goal is to win, teams work together. When the goal is stats, teams work against each other. You have to literally compete against your own teammates in order to secure PWs and kills. That is counter intuitive to a team based game. In a k/d based ranking system you get scenarios like having to decide to help your teammate or let him die based on the score and his stats compared to you. That is a 100% fucked, broken and unusable system. Period. End of story.

But even if people were totally unaware of how the ranking worked and everyone played normally it STILL wouldn't be a good system. Why? Because the limited amount of stats we have available to use are not adequate enough to properly judge a player's contribution to a win or loss. Let me give you an example. H3. the pit. TS. Score 47-45 for the other team. Rockets are coming up. Your teammate pushes long hall. Damages three opponents and causes them to back off. They retreat and regain shields. He dies. You grab rockets. You get three kills. Your team wins. Your teammate made one of the most important plays of the game. Out of it he got no kills, no assists and a death. In your ideal system he is punished for making the most crucial play of the game.

No we've never actually tried just this. Reach's system wasn't purely K/D, it was some wacky hybrid BS and it had other major problems like being a terrible game and having friendly fire which encorouged all sorts of stupid shit.

You say all this as if people don't already compete with team mates for grabbing the power weapons and power-ups: they do, and always have. The games have always had issues like betraying for power weapons and just generally not giving a shit about team mates. Don't pretend you care about randies or that they care about you. Nobody is ever going to go out of their way to help you do something like what you described in that scenario, and having a team mate push 3 enemies like that on the The Pit is super unrealistic, that would be suicide. Solo Team Slayer already is a FFA with 2 colours, that's going to be true no matter what ranking system there is. People mostly do their own thing in the gametype.

Because of that reality, we might as well have a ranking system that reflects it. Again, only for solo, because that's where it's applicable. I can guarantee you it will make that matchmaking mode better and fairer overall.

I may be late on saying this, but the amount of community feedback being implemented into Halo 5 just in the first week of release is insane compared to Halo 4 and, of course, the MCC. Bravo 343. Big step in the right direction.

Let's hope this stays consistent.  :)

Exactly, why couldn't this have happened in mcc? No excuse.

Can 343 fucking remove spartan charge annoying as hell, not as bad as armor lock but still.

The speed at which the user gets their gun up is the worst part. If there was a delay similar to ground pound, even longer, I think it would be fine. But when I get spartan charged, it feels like they shoot me in the face for the kill before I'm even able to shoot them again. I don't know if this is truly the case or if it just seems that way, but a longer dealy would help this.

Or just not being able to charge while getting shot at would be better.

Can 343 fucking remove spartan charge annoying as hell, not as bad as armor lock but still.

It does seem to prevent a lot of chase situations though.

when does the honeymoon phase end

It ended like 3 days ago for me, haven't touched it in like 2 days. My roommate who bought the game hasn't touched it in 4 days. So there you go haha

It does seem to prevent a lot of chase situations though.

Well I havent noticed :D Only that some guy with AR sprints out of nowhere and charges and AR's you dead even if I shoot with pistol.. Im fine with slide and ground pound.