CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Ight I'm about done with the Sprint, and Thruster pack. Trying my best to adapt to change. Too many escapes.... is getting pretty fking annoying to be completely honest..

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ight I'm about done with the Sprint, and Thruster pack. Trying my best to adapt to change. Too many escapes.... is getting pretty fking annoying to be completely honest..

ADAPT

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yep. It's annoying that the main problems with this game are so easy to fix yet we're probably going to deal with them for months, if not the rest of the game's lifespan.

Is this not every Halo game? How much better would H3 have been without BR spread? How much better would Reach have been without armor abilities (these were custom options) and bloom (a simple enough patch)? How much better would H4 have been if it had never happened? Why do I keep communicating in questions?

Honestly, the problem is with the maps, not necessarily Sprint and Thrust. It's just incredibly easy to get away because maps are littered with cover.

(I played some hours of customs without Spartan Abilities.)

Honestly, the problem is with the maps, not necessarily Sprint and Thrust. It's just incredibly easy to get away because maps are littered with cover.

(I played some hours of customs without Spartan Abilities.)

It's most likely both to be honest. Don't know if I'm going to have the patience for this Halo game this time around boys~!

Yes, this is the first time Halo has actually used a ranking system. The 1-50 thing was more of an incentive to keep grinding up the ranks and see how far you can go. Now, if every playlist had it's own sort of XP system or something that could be good for people that feel like stopping after they reach Onyx.

It's barely a ranking system in the true sense because outside of champion there's no real possibility of dropping so you can play as badly as you want with no consequences after reaching each threshold, which is not how a ranking system is meant to work. Your rank is supposed to be dynamic in both directions; losing rank when losing and gaining rank when winning.

To be honest, I'd like to see a simple zero-sum system where when you win a game you get a point and when you lose a game you lose a point. Your rank is then literally your win-loss spread and players with similar spreads are matched up. Everything sorts itself out naturally then and you don't have to conjure up some fancy complex system which usually always has flaws. Additionally, the system would work differently depending on whether it's a clan match (aka full party) or solo. In solo, if you went K/D positive you win a point and if you went negative you lose one. That helps stop random shit team mates from ruining your rank. In clan match where you actually have a full party, it's then based purely on whether you win or lose the game and not your K/D.

That would fix all problems and make it a true ranking system.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's barely a ranking system in the true sense because outside of champion there's no real possibility of dropping so you can play as badly as you want with no consequences after reaching each threshold, which is not how a ranking system is meant to work. Your rank is supposed to be dynamic in both directions; losing rank when losing and gaining rank when winning.

To be honest, I'd like to see a simple zero-sum system where when you win a game you get a point and when you lose a game you lose a point. Your rank is then literally your win-loss spread and players with similar spreads are matched up. Everything sorts itself out naturally then and you don't have to conjure up some fancy complex system which usually always has flaws. Additionally, the system would work differently depending on whether it's a clan match (aka full party) or solo. In solo, if you went K/D positive you win a point and if you went negative you lose one. That helps stop random shit team mates from ruining your rank. In clan match where you actually have a full party, it's then based purely on whether you win or lose the game and not your K/D.

That would fix all problems and make it a true ranking system.

Not dropping divisions is to remove ladder anxiety. Someone that finally gets to Diamond won't want to play, lose, and go back down to the previous division.

Although, technically you can derank. You can't go down in visible rank but everyone has a hidden CSR. So if you are Gold 1 but have lost 50 games in a row you will more than likely have a low CSR and be matching silver or even bronze players.

It's most likely both to be honest. Don't know if I'm going to have the patience for this Halo game this time around boys~!

it's map design and killtimes more than anything else.

Also, how do I see most played games list?

Not dropping divisions is to remove ladder anxiety. Someone that finally gets to Diamond won't want to play, lose, and go back down to the previous division.

Although, technically you can derank. You can't go down in visible rank but everyone has a hidden CSR. So if you are Gold 1 but have lost 50 games in a row you will more than likely have a low CSR and be matching silver or even bronze players.

Removing "ladder anxiety" is not a good thing. That's the "everyone's a winner" mentality. If you get to a new rank and then fall back down because you got beaten in the new one, tough, play better next time.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I saw that they said weekend ranked was increased xp but wasn't it suppose to be increased req points also? 

Removing "ladder anxiety" is not a good thing. That's the "everyone's a winner" mentality. If you get to a new rank and then fall back down because you got beaten in the new one, tough, play better next time.

It helps keep people playing. Otherwise people would get their rank and not play anymore in fear of losing their rank. Doesn't LoL use the same system?

Some guy on Waypoint said he actually spent $250 on req packs. That is just sad.

Don't worry, I'm sure some fan boy is over there right now trying to justify that guy's purchase with some bs logic along the lines of "but it's his money, what do you care what he spends it on... as long as it makes him happy" or some other weak sause justification LOL! 

We have starving, homeless people but as long as he's spending $250 on req packs it's justified!  :rollseyes:

It helps keep people playing. Otherwise people would get their rank and not play anymore in fear of losing their rank. Doesn't LoL use the same system?

Indeed. I kinda like it that way. The thought of being systematically overshadowed by another person(s) because you failed to keep up is quite... Fun. Not even sarcastic. It's really brutal to put into perspective. You work to KEEP your rank, rather than only working TO your rank.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Some guy on Waypoint said he actually spent $250 on req packs. That is just sad.

I hope he keeps spending all his money. Get that World Championship prize pool up even higher. I'd like to see it close to double digits in millions. An extra 500k in one week is nuts. I hope 343 keep adding more REQ cards so people don't run out of reasons to buy them.

Looking forward to that update tomorrow. Hopefully they at least address problems with the aiming and teams matching randoms. I probably shouldn't be holding out hope but oh well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But that's the exact problem with these kinds of ranking systems, they place emphasis on a silly, artificial title which is actually just entirely cosmetic. What actually matters and determines how good you are is the underlying numbers of the system and the stats from your games. Let's say for a simple arguments sake that getting to +10-19 W/L makes you "Gold", +20-29 makes you "Diamond" and 30+ makes you "Onxy". If we didn't give titles to each of those arbitrary discrete points in the W/L spectrum, nobody would care about losing a game if they just got to +30 W/L because there would be no sudden loss of perceived "rank".

In the zero-sum ranking system, there's always incentive to keep playing, which is to keep increasing your W/L tally and therefore get further ahead of other players and/or to try overtake players with a higher tally.

• Upvote (+1) 1