CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Iam I the only one who sees fifa and the taken king as bigger competition than blops 3 and battlefront? I dont see blops 3 doing much better than AW(not very well) and battlefront is 1/4 of a game. I see both games falling behind fifa and destiny.

I can't really see Battlefront lasting however Black Ops 3 will probably stay top 3 until the next COD releases tbh.

Iam I the only one who sees fifa and the taken king as bigger competition than blops 3 and battlefront? I dont see blops 3 doing much better than AW(not very well) and battlefront is 1/4 of a game. I see both games falling behind fifa and destiny.

the fact that halo has managed to stay ahead of destiny for over a week is a good thing I think, maybe all the destiny players were waiting for halo to come out. Only time will tell what happens to the player base.

Halo 5 game play is fun, but it's embarrassing for a developer to launch a game missing so many basic features that existed 8 years ago.

Welcome to present day gaming where sheep pay full price for unfinished games because devs know they will still buy it.

What needs to be said is that this game doesn't deserve to have halo is in it's title.  

This is what real halo is according to the original fans of the game that enabled all other halos to even exist due to their support of the original game, making it popular and justifiable to come out with halo 2.

1. Camo and OS on every map

2. Rocket and sniper on every map  Snipe is 15-30 sec re-spawn on every map.

3. All of the above are on set timers from the time the game starts, NOT when you pick an item up.  

4. Weapons and powerups respond to nades, and can be blown around the map

5. The map is setup such that the powerups can be not only picked up, but also strategically naded to various locations.

6. Your starting utility weapon is a 3 shot head kill, or 5 shots to the body.  Dropping the pistol for a primary and using AR for secondary for quick camo comes at a price.  You've lost your pistol, but you now have quick camo ability.

7. Movement - No sprint.  No thrust.  

8. High FOV

Really if 343 would have incorporated these 8 basic principals into the game, no one would be complaining except for those who suck at FPS games.  Yes, the 8 points above will result in a high skill curve game.  Since 343 doesn't want to target a competitive audience since that is the minority, they target the majority which leads to increased sales.  

This is a classic "make the game competitive" vs "make the game noncompetitive so that it sells more" scenario.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If you want to make a game that is non competitive that doesn't contain the 8 basic things above that make halo be halo, then don't put halo on the title and disrespect Alex Seropian's original team that made true halo.  It's disrespectful plain and simple and they are using the name HALO as a marketing tool to get more sales.  

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Not H5-related exactly, but I just noticed that none of the CE weapons have scopes on them. The sniper 'scope' isn't really a scope at all, but some sort of wave-y... thing. Presumably the marines had a HUD link like Spartans. If Halo 2 hadn't introduced modern-style scoped weapons like the BR, redesigned sniper, etc., the entire aesthetic of the series might have gravitated toward futuristic designs like the AR, rather than modern military styles as it ended up doing. The tiniest changes in detail can really force certain design aspects of future instalments into a corner.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We weren't that bad!

Sorry dude. It was pretty bad. Not controlling power weapons and being at the bottom of the map most of the game isn't what I am looking for. People think I'm a terrible player because I die a lot. That's all well and good, people can have their opinion, but truth is I die a shit ton because I'm always the only one pushing the objective, paying attention to spawns, and trying to get power weapons. This statement wasn't anything towards you personally or anything, just my experience in H5 overall. Unfortunately there is zero way I could compete with you and your buddies. Sorry. I'm not here to make friends and you only seemed interested since I pay for the team passes in full. I'm here to win. If I'm playing with a squad that struggles to win online in diamond, we'd get first rounded. Been there too many times at too many events. I need people who are serious and know what they're doing. 

Not H5-related exactly, but I just noticed that none of the CE weapons have scopes on them. The sniper 'scope' isn't really a scope at all, but some sort of wave-y... thing. Presumably the marines had a HUD link like Spartans. If Halo 2 hadn't introduced modern-style scoped weapons like the BR, redesigned sniper, etc., the entire aesthetic of the series might have gravitated toward futuristic designs like the AR, rather than modern military styles as it ended up doing. The tiniest changes in detail can really force certain design aspects of future instalments into a corner.

Meh, 343i would have added ADS anyways.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Welcome to present day gaming where sheep pay full price for unfinished games because devs know they will still buy it.

What needs to be said is that this game doesn't deserve to have halo is in it's title.

This is what real halo is according to the original fans of the game that enabled all other halos to even exist due to their support of the original game, making it popular and justifiable to come out with halo 2.

1. Camo and OS on every map

2. Rocket and sniper on every map Snipe is 15-30 sec re-spawn on every map.

3. All of the above are on set timers from the time the game starts, NOT when you pick an item up.

4. Weapons and powerups respond to nades, and can be blown around the map

5. The map is setup such that the powerups can be not only picked up, but also strategically naded to various locations.

6. Your starting utility weapon is a 3 shot head kill, or 5 shots to the body. Dropping the pistol for a primary and using AR for secondary for quick camo comes at a price. You've lost your pistol, but you now have quick camo ability.

7. Movement - No sprint. No thrust.

8. High FOV

Really if 343 would have incorporated these 8 basic principals into the game, no one would be complaining except for those who suck at FPS games. Yes, the 8 points above will result in a high skill curve game. Since 343 doesn't want to target a competitive audience since that is the minority, they target the majority which leads to increased sales.

This is a classic "make the game competitive" vs "make the game noncompetitive so that it sells more" scenario. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to make a game that is non competitive that doesn't contain the 8 basic things above that make halo be halo, then don't put halo on the title and disrespect Alex Seropian's original team that made true halo. It's disrespectful plain and simple and they are using the name HALO as a marketing tool to get more sales.

so the only halo is halo ce?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry dude. It was pretty bad. Not controlling power weapons and being at the bottom of the map most of the game isn't what I am looking for. People think I'm a terrible player because I die a lot. That's all well and good, people can have their opinion, but truth is I die a shit ton because I'm always the only one pushing the objective, paying attention to spawns, and trying to get power weapons. This statement wasn't anything towards you personally or anything, just my experience in H5 overall. Unfortunately there is zero way I could compete with you and your buddies. Sorry. I'm not here to make friends and you only seemed interested since I pay for the team passes in full. I'm here to win. If I'm playing with a squad that struggles to win online in diamond, we'd get first rounded. Been there too many times at too many events. I need people who are serious and know what they're doing. 

Those people you mention are hard to find nowadays, because Halo competitively isn't what it used to be. I invited you because you were playing by yourself and I know how frustrating that can be and you're part of the community here.   We didn't think you were terrible  and you have to agree it was a good game we were down 80-20 and overall we had solid teammwork. Listen man, I work full time, married and a dad. I just want to play with people and have a good time and play competitive games. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So what's the consensus on the competitiveness of the maps so far?

Decent when paired with the right gametypes. Empire CTF needs to be a thing.

so the only halo is halo ce?

When every halo after it has gotten progressively worse yes.  And if you think halo 2 during it's launch was taken well, think again.  Use wayback machine and check out a website called halo2sucks.com, which had some 50,000 strong members who all were opposed to h2 being so much different than halo CE.

• Upvote (+1) 3

LqM1tOC.gif

Ye....well some dlc coming out soon right? Skyline in Halo 4 was the best unique 4v4/ 2v2 map of the game imo. There's still hope.

Also, Halo 6!!

Okay. To me the covenant themed maps look the best. I like the stronghold gametype, a lot of choices there.

Ye....well some dlc coming out soon right? Skyline in Halo 4 was the best unique 4v4/ 2v2 map of the game imo. There's still hope.

Also, Halo 6!!

Well, DLC is going to be forge maps and altered versions of current maps. No idea how many, if any, original maps we'll be getting. 

Why not just say that the game is deficient in # of maps suitable for 4v4 slayer, which is the staple of halo....

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Well Orion is bad, plaza is boring, the rig is only good with strongholds, but the rest are all around decent maps, though I haven't played on Pegasus.

I always thought that framework was weird. Video games change a hell of a lot sequel to sequel. if we were to go on "OG game is the only one" then A lot of competitive titles would not be part of it then which I disagree on.

Do sequels at times suck compared to previous titles? Maybe. Are they not part of the series because they don't have x mechanic or y trait? No

For example Just because h5 has thrust doesn't mean it isn't halo (whatever that means to you). Is it arguably less competitive? Maybe but the core of thruster which is a boost of speed to one direction at the cost of some meter that needs to be charged doesn't make it "not Halo" solely because of the core of the mechanic itself

Also don't know why nade tricks were an example of the core of h1. That was something that was developed through the games lifeline and only a central part of high level h1. Which h5 has anyways so

Also if your criteria for a real Halo game is so strict, why would you even look at this game? Either stop playing these games because there's no way it's going back to CE or stop being an old fart

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see BlOps 3 doing pretty well.

I have no earthly clue why people think Battlefront or Fallout will overshadow Halo 5, though. Fallout won't have multiplayer - and I can almost guarantee you that that game will go over the heads of most of Halo 5's population and they'll keep playing H5 just out of ignorance. Or not. Idk.

Idk. Blops3 is anothe sci fi titanfally cod. That wasnt a very popular reciepe in AW and I dont see that changing now.

I always thought that framework was weird. Video games change a hell of a lot sequel to sequel. if we were to go on "OG game is the only one" then A lot of competitive titles would not be part of it then which I disagree on.

Do sequels at times suck compared to previous titles? Maybe. Are they not part of the series because they don't have x mechanic or y trait? No

Just because h5 has thrust doesn't mean it isn't halo (whatever that means to you). Is it arguably less competitive? Maybe but the core of thruster which is a boost of speed to one direction at the cost of some meter that needs to be charged doesn't make it "not Halo" solely because of the core of the mechanic itself

Also if your criteria for a real Halo game is so strict, why would you even look at this game? Either stop playing these games because there's no way it's going back to CE or stop being an old fart

I can at least understand the view even if o don't agree with it, halo ce is the best designed halo, but not the only one imo.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't think any map in Halo 5 is good for Slayer, sadly. Not enough reason to move around the map. I have always liked objective gametypes more but never have I been so disappointed to get Slayer in a playlist that has objective games. Radar also ruins slayer gametypes more as well because people just camp and watch their radar all game. So annoying. 

Because it says "Halo" on the box. Not saying I agree, but from what I can tell the concept of Halo is a constant positive in the mind of every single person talking about this game. There's always the chance that it will be closer to their predetermined idea of what the game is, basically.

Idk. Blops3 is anothe sci fi titanfally cod. That wasnt a very popular reciepe in AW and I dont see that changing now.

Idk, too. I own exactly one CoD, so I can't really form an opinion about this. I liked AW, but I guess I can see why people disliked it?

From what I've seen of BlOps 3, it doesn't look like it's mechanically trying to do what AW did. The gameplay looks less floaty and more focused, more direct - thanks to the thruster in place of the jump.

I just described any CoD ever as "focused."

What...what is happening to me?

Good maps IMO:

• Empire - Slayer, Strongholds (CTF would be interesting; haven't tried it though).
  • Eden - This plays extremely well and probably one of the best IMO for Strongholds and Slayer
  • Truth - Wish I could see this in Slayer as well. Probably the best CTF game by far.
  • Fathom (even though Rail gun absolutely pisses me off in this game) - Flag plays better than slayer.
  • Coliseum - I hate Rockets on this map, but it plays Flag and Slayer very well.
  • Plaza... I'm indifferent about but I don't hate it.
  • Rig - Strongholds

Bad maps:

• Orion - 343, just make due with your pride and admit the map is trash and nix it from every playlist. This map sucks. The person who designed the map doesn't need to be banned to exile or anything lol. Just remove the map and replace it with something else.
  • Regret - Terrible lines of sight and fluidity to it. Truth plays 100x better.
  • The Rig - Slayer, super campy. Scatter shot and camo makes this gametype really frustrating.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Unpopular opinion but Eden Stronghold is probably the funnest gameType/map mix I've played since like h2/h3. Slayer is good too