CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Talk bout or post a halo follower video again and I will fucking ban your ass.

Can't talk about Halo follower? But he will be the first to confirm H2A.

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like for sprint to be in campaign. I was horribly wrong!! Keep sprint out of mm.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

I'd like for sprint to be in campaign, and social playlists. 

Na dude, I'm a socail player and I don't want any of AA's or OD's. Please and thank you.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like for sprint to be in campaign, and social playlists. 

Settings across the board should be as universal as they possibly can be. The removal of radar should be the full extent of mechanical differences between competitive and social. Beyond that only maybe some available weapon changes.

Why would you want Sprint over faster base movement? Say 125% movement. What is peoples obsession with lowering their weapon?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Settings across the board should be as universal as they possibly can be. The removal of radar should be the full extent of mechanical differences between competitive and social. Beyond that only maybe some available weapon changes.

Why would you want Sprint over faster base movement? Say 125% movement. What is peoples obsession with lowering their weapon?

You'll never get these answers from the source because people know that these aren't good enough reasons to keep a feature in the game, but here are the only actual reasons why people like sprint:

1. It's just another thing to rely on when you're playing badly. If I can run away when I've messed up, then it doesn't matter whether or not my weapon is lowered, because my objective is to escape, not to kill. On the other hand, my attacker absolutely needs a raised weapon in order to kill me. << This one pleases people who value a game which does as little as possible to punish bad decisions.

2. Illusion of speed that's created by running in bursts as opposed to moving at a consistent speed. Even though there's objectively no increase in the actual time it takes you to get from one place to another. << This one pleases people that are more sensitive to the illusion of speed that comes with moving in bursts, than to the illusion of speed that comes with any other method such as an increased field of view.

3. Consistency with other shooters of today. << This one pleases people who value the laziness that comes with never having to learn different games more than they value uniqueness, variation and even quality.

4. Assuming that an extra ability can only be a good thing. Because of the way the brain interprets information, it's very easy to assume that sprint is better than no sprint. Unless we really take the time to think about it or to have it explained to us, then most of us will assume that sprint can only be a good thing. The brain hears sprint and immediately thinks 'faster'. What it doesn't immediately account for is all the other factors that come into play which actually mean sprint has the opposite impact on gameplay. Most people never go beyond their initial reaction to the idea of an extra ability, and therefore they never discover the harmful impact it has on the game and just continue believing that it's a good thing, even if their enjoyment of the game is negatively impacted by it and they just haven't realised it yet.

Number 2 and especially 4 applied to me when I first played Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Okay I guess people hate sprint, obviously.  I dont like sprint in competitive playlists, you should get punished for making a mistake, not just run away.

Imo there are 2 scenarios that are realistic for Halo 5.

Scenario 1 is that they keep Halo 4 as a base and add as much from CoD as they think they need to for the gaming review magazines to write they "innovated" Halo. So we can expect to see weapon attachments/killstreaks like "banshee strike" (aka no more restriction to power weapons only)/ more pointless rewards like for "having the highest altitude" in a match. We probably aren't getting ADS before Halo 6. By this they will try to draw in as many CoD BF etc. fans as possible. They will also give us some token "competitive minded" changes so they can say they catered to us. For example, things like if Promethean vision being nerfed further or bolthshot not being a loadout weapon anymore.

Scenario 2 is that they "go back to the roots". At this point, making a "classic" halo experience is ironically "innovative" as well because we've had atleast 2 (3?) games that deviated from that formula. I would even go as far as to say that default Halo 3 really wasnt all that "classic" halo either with equipment and a shitty utility weapon. So they could make an actually good game and with the help of Josh Menke a functional ranking system to go with it and all halo fans will be happy.

The likelihood of Scenario 1 in my opinion is around 90%, and from the little information we've gotten it seems like thats the direction they are heading.

Scenario 2 would probably be the wiser business decision in the end, but just like when tons of MMO's tried to topple WoW by copying it instead of trying to do their thing, I dont see it as a very likely option.

Imo there are 2 scenarios that are realistic for Halo 5.

Scenario 1 is that they keep Halo 4 as a base and add as much from CoD as they think they need to for the gaming review magazines to write they "innovated" Halo. So we can expect to see weapon attachments/killstreaks like "banshee strike" (aka no more restriction to power weapons only)/ more pointless rewards like for "having the highest altitude" in a match. We probably aren't getting ADS before Halo 6. By this they will try to draw in as many CoD BF etc. fans as possible. They will also give us some token "competitive minded" changes so they can say they catered to us. For example, things like if Promethean vision being nerfed further or bolthshot not being a loadout weapon anymore.

Scenario 2 is that they "go back to the roots". At this point, making a "classic" halo experience is ironically "innovative" as well because we've had atleast 2 (3?) games that deviated from that formula. I would even go as far as to say that default Halo 3 really wasnt all that "classic" halo either with equipment and a shitty utility weapon. So they could make an actually good game and with the help of Josh Menke a functional ranking system to go with it and all halo fans will be happy.

The likelihood of Scenario 1 in my opinion is around 90%, and from the little information we've gotten it seems like thats the direction they are heading.

Scenario 2 would probably be the wiser business decision in the end, but just like when tons of MMO's tried to topple WoW by copying it instead of trying to do their thing, I dont see it as a very likely option.

Why not have a scenario of using H2A multiplayer as a base?

What information do we have about Halo 5 makes you think Scenerio 1 will most likely happen?

What information do we have about Halo 5 makes you think Scenerio 1 will most likely happen?

Quoting the waypoint blog:

Previous Halo titles, Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 for example, strove to push the entire ecosystem forward – dual stick FPS with big open spaces in the case of Combat Evolved, and broadband matchmaking in Halo 2 – are just a couple of examples of the series innovating or amplifying ideas. So in building Halo 5: Guardians, we want to push the ecosystem as well as the universe. And we’ll have some surprises in store for new and loyal players of the series.

We are moving to a whole new platform with the Xbox One – a new architecture, new graphics hardware and bluntly some new ways to think about gaming, period.

Also, If how they are treating Halo 4 is any hint as to the direction Halo is heading, expect wacky gametypes like shotgun ricochet and infinity slayer plauging your playlists. Also expect inexplainable mishaps like the temporary multi team playlist having a pre-turbo weapon layout.

Also expect maps having countless layouts even inside the same playlists to add to maximum confusion to what "vanilla" really means.

Besides that, how many games have been Cod-ified lately? Halo is more or less the only "arena" shooter left and you can see where I think that is going.

Why not have a scenario of using H2A multiplayer as a base?

The guy who brought us the leaked information spoke not only of H2A, but also of the other halos getting ported for the Xbox One.

The whole Halo master chief edition h1-h4 bundle talks fit in with the leaked information

H:CEA was single player only, and unless I misread, nothing confirms us we will have multiplayer for the Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Besides, why should it be H2 multiplayer specifically. If we go off the H:CEA treatment, we would be getting a map pack with remakes from previous halos.

If they are really releasing it as a bundle, I see no reason why H2 should be getting a special multiplayer treatment just because its the 10 year anniversary.

If it had been the only release it would have made more sense given the context, but since thats apparently not happening, I dont expect multiplayer H2A

This is getting ridiculous, Halo Escalation cover art shows the Didact punching Master Chief = That's how he broke his visor.  <_<

Inb4 he's right.

I hope not. 343 needs to stop making the stories evolve between games based on how it went down in the books and non-game lore. It made the H4 campaign so confusing for people who hadn't kept up... and no matter how epic or cool looking a story seems, if you don't know what the fuck is going on, you're not going to like it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I hope not. 343 needs to stop making the stories evolve between games based on how it went down in the books and non-game lore. It made the H4 campaign so confusing for people who hadn't kept up... and no matter how epic or cool looking a story seems, if you don't know what the fuck is going on, you're not going to like it.

Would you personally be okay if they show in the prologue what happened to Chief after Halo 4 in a cutscene/small mission? 

Quoting the waypoint blog:

We are moving to a whole new platform with the Xbox One – a new architecture, new graphics hardware and bluntly some new ways to think about gaming, period.

Makes me wonder if they want to innovate the UX for FPS. will we need the kinect attachment to experience the fullness of halo? Will we be able to "shout" at AIs for example?

You cant have something as significant as as a broken visor occur in the prologue. I would hope for a decent build up before Chief finds out the Didact is alive.

Also what is the betting we're going to be in space at some point and they forget the visor is cracked.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You cant have something as significant as as a broken visor occur in the prologue. I would hope for a decent build up before Chief finds out the Didact is alive.

Also what is the betting we're going to be in space at some point and they forget the visor is cracked.

He's chief.

Chief is like the equivalent of Batman.

"He can go through space with his visor cracked.. Why? CUZ HE'S DA CHIEF."

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would you personally be okay if they show in the prologue what happened to Chief after Halo 4 in a cutscene/small mission? 

Sure, but it's quite a challenge to put a book's worth of information in a meaningful cutscene that doesn't last over 5 minutes.

It's the kind of stuff that makes the books better than most movie adaptations.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just going off in a little tangent. What do people think is going to happen with Spartan ops? The Episodic Co-op Campaign concept I think is a good one. The cut scenes were good, it's just the gameplay. 

I'm hoping they are going to scrap unlimited respawns and go with a more traditional check point system like regular co-op and have players assume control of members of a Spartan fireteam. Members who if they are not controlled are fairly formidable AI units. which would make soloing a more viable option. That and hopefully they fix the lag.

The guy who brought us the leaked information spoke not only of H2A, but also of the other halos getting ported for the Xbox One.

The whole Halo master chief edition h1-h4 bundle talks fit in with the leaked information

H:CEA was single player only, and unless I misread, nothing confirms us we will have multiplayer for the Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Besides, why should it be H2 multiplayer specifically. If we go off the H:CEA treatment, we would be getting a map pack with remakes from previous halos.

If they are really releasing it as a bundle, I see no reason why H2 should be getting a special multiplayer treatment just because its the 10 year anniversary.

If it had been the only release it would have made more sense given the context, but since thats apparently not happening, I dont expect multiplayer H2A

The thing is there is NO existing Halo on Xbone right now. There is no point for a "mappack". You cant compare the CEA situation with now. Its not the same.

We dont have a Halo FPS on Xbone. And there wont be Crossgen Play (Two different systems).

To use Halo 2s MP would make sense. Its the 10 year Anniversary, it was the first Halo Online MP experience and it made Xbox Live what it is.

There is no point in using a Halo like Halo 4 that nobody likes or wants to play.

I really dont get why people think that they would use Halo 4s MP for Halo 2 it doesnt make any sense at all.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just going off in a little tangent. What do people think is going to happen with Spartan ops? The Episodic Co-op Campaign concept I think is a good one. The cut scenes were good, it's just the gameplay. 

I'm hoping they are going to scrap unlimited respawns and go with a more traditional check point system like regular co-op and have players assume control of members of a Spartan fireteam. Members who if they are not controlled are fairly formidable AI units. which would make soloing a more viable option. That and hopefully they fix the lag.

Scrap the whole idea, replace it with a single-mission DLC featuring Master Chief to bridge the gap between games without the need for non-game media like Escalation. Throw in a Firefight map or two along with it. The DLC would, of course, go towards funding tournaments and such. If it's a success, repeat it for multiple chapters.

Idk why you quoted me when i never said they would have ADS. I said it would be bad if they added it and that i wouldnt mind some weapon customization as long as scopes didnt effect gameplay. I also said different reticles/hud would be a cool feature.

Also i said that if weapon customization was in then that would most likely mean loadouts would have to be in the game.

So plz dont say that i said something or was freaking out when i wasnt.

You don't have to have load outs to have customization. Mentality like this is the reason why we have H4.

There needs to be a balance and 343i clearly can't figure out what that balance is.

They wanted to make this a personal experience and modern with customization and load outs. But where they failed is limited customization and adding loadouts where with different weapons.

They need that gimmick if they want to compete with CoD, but they also need to leave it as a Halo game and instead of some shit hybrid.

Let us be able to add weapon skins, change our colours, add tags to our guns, but that shouldn't effect game play in anyway. It should only be a visual effect and that's it, just like armour customization.

They need to be more in depth with their customization, but stop cluttering the sandbox. I mean in terms of trying to capture a large audience without hurting game play.

And to keep them playing they need a lot of customizations and a long levelling system. Give a reason to keep that grind on. And of course a ranking system.

No Spartan Ops. Please 343, realize that it was a complete failure. Bring back Firefight, pls.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No Spartan Ops. Please 343, realize that it was a complete failure. Bring back Firefight, pls.

They could have episodic cut scenes that link together Spartan battle grounds. Many of which can be wave defense battles. Make it less of a linear path, button pressing experience and more of a large scale battle on maps similar in style to firefight and invasion etc. Other missions could be of a similar style to firefight but you are on the offence and some can involve objectives and secondary objectives. 

I say Spartan ops, I wouldn't have it play anything like Halo 4's Spartan ops. I agree, it was a failure.

If done right it could be successful. Big problem was that you can only play it with gold and if you were online. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1