CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

We have always been sheep. H2 was xbox live. H3 as well (to a lesser degree). Those games were dog dick compared to H1. But the herd still flocked to H2/3 (myself included). There are just more choices now a days.

I agree.  They were inferior to H1 in every way.  Despite having more choices these days, you would think that there would be less flocking to a game made by a dev that has a poor track record (see halo MCC) But no, the hype is bought into and the basis of said hype that one can effectively argue is that it was nothing more than 343 throwing shit at a wall and hoping that it sticks.  Not going to happen when you have games like fallout 4, MW3, and Starwars battlefront coming right around the corner.  The thing that made halo 1 unique is that even after xbox was pretty much a dead system, I was preferring to play it over any other newer game that came out over XBC.  Granted there's been many great games from various genre's over the years that I have enjoyed, but a Halo CE LAN session and even XBC was a better gaming experience when it's all said and done.  I'd still rather play halo CE on MCC than halo 5.  It's easy to see through the hype, and 343 still doesn't know what FPS gamers want. 

This idea of "evolving" the game is crap.  We don't need sprint, bloom, thrusters, load outs, jetpacks, req, dual wielding, a re-branding of the pistol into a DMR/BMR, or any of that nonsense garbage.  Honestly who at 343 though this was a "good" idea?  Each halo title since CE has gotten progressively worse.  Is it that hard for them to grasp the fact that all that is needed to make a great competitive game is:

Halo CE with better maps and spawns that are suited for 4v4 play, and a re-engineered netcode that enables halo CE physics and shot reg to be replicated on xbox live through use of dedicated servers.  Yes, the 2v2 spawn system mechanic in CE is great, but for those who want that true 4v4 experience, use the Halo CE framework and build it from there.

Instead of biting the hands of those who made Halo possible in the first place (the original CE players that provided the justification for the series to continue) why not actually listen and make a quality game instead developing a game in an erratic, panic state of mind on the premise of "COD is crushing us!  We need to do everything we can to make this next halo as close to COD as we possibly can because that is what the kids want!" type of approach?   Instead of going into development of the next halo in a panic state of mind, why not calmly approach it using a tried and true formula that CE offered?

There's not a single OG halo player that has also played halo 5 and said "wow, after 17 years they finally got it right!"

Instead it's "why does this game even have Halo in the title?"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Easiest thing to make this game feel more Arena-like would be to decrease the time it takes for the power-weapons to respawn.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really feels that way, as it stands. :P

There's a real problem of addiction in micro transactions as well as power imbalance. I mean it's just warzone so lol who cares, but it's generally accepted as a shady business practice taking advantage of people by playing on psychology

Easiest thing to make this game feel more Arena-like would be to decrease the time it takes for the power-weapons to respawn.

I was thinking adding armor shard pick ups, double barrel shotguns, and steroids would be much more immersive in an arena setting.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree.  They were inferior to H1 in every way.  Despite having more choices these days, you would think that there would be less flocking to a game made by a dev that has a poor track record (see halo MCC) But no, the hype is bought into and the basis of said hype was nothing more than 343 throwing shit at a wall and hoping that it sticks.  Not going to happen when you have games like fallout 4, MW3, and Starwars battlefront coming right around the corner.  

Pretty sure this is why it came out in October and not mid November.  They know if they compete with the big dogs they will get slaughtered.

I was thinking adding armor shard pick ups, double barrel shotguns, and steroids would be much more immersive in an arena setting.  :kappa:

If armor shards are in the custom options they really should be turned on.

I thought about replying to it but I decided it wasn't even worth it. I laughed a bit tbh

I

You could at least explain why, or at least what a balanced sandbox means to you.

I just realized and saw that there are people out there that want the pistol to be a 6SK or 7SK while leaving the AR the way it is. :/

That's not a good sign.

@@mdawg The only problem is we don't have an arena FPS or CE-esque game here. The starting weapons are too strong to be an Arena FPS and the pistol too weak and the AR too strong to be CE-esque.

Agreed and its why the game needs some weapon balance to take it in either direction. Its closer to arena ATM bc dmr and br are still solid pickups and the pistol doesn't outshine them but yet the pistol is still strong enough to beat them in the right hands. I think the biggest concern for everyone is the pistol - ar situation though. A range nerf is in order imo. Cut down its effective range a bit and see how it plays out then continue tweaking from there if necessary.

Also I feel like I flinch or get slow turn when getting nailed by an ar. This interaction needs to go.

Even so I've put 22 hours into this game this week when I typically spend ab 10 hours a week gaming. I've cut into my sleep schedule because I just want to keep playing lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed and its why the game needs some weapon balance to take it in either direction. Its closer to arena ATM bc dmr and br are still solid pickups and the pistol doesn't outshine them but yet the pistol is still strong enough to beat them in the right hands. I think the biggest concern for everyone is the pistol - ar situation though. A range nerf is in order imo. Cut down its effective range a bit and see how it plays out then continue tweaking from there if necessary.

Also I feel like I flinch or get slow turn when getting nailed by an ar. This interaction needs to go.

Definitely agree with the bolded statements.

I can also agree that every weapon pickup makes you more effective than the starting weapons you have, which is as Arena-like as it gets at the current state, imo, along with power weapon timers as well.

I don't think it is compiled on the same system (if I'm understanding what you mean correctly).

From my understanding, past Halo games recorded your actors gameplay actions at a very high frequency, while only recording a rough approximation of other players actions, which were already needed to convey their position in your gamestate. All of this occurred on your Xbox.

The new system has every game on a dedicated server that is both hosting and "spectating." In other words, it's recording that rough approximation for every player, there is no high frequency recording done locally anywhere within the system. This is just my assumption based on how the theater files look. It would make sense if they were trying to preserve processing power on the box, and thus opted to offload the theater recording to the dedicated servers.

Either way, it's worse than before, which is dumb.

I just don't understand why some kind of lag compensation isn't in place. Are we seriously taxing the servers that strongly that they can't add a process to manage delay?

Lag compensation

The shot on host registers a split second after whatever you saw against where the opponent used to be

I thought you were some self professed FPS expert

So how does that function for people viewing off-host gameplays in H3, where this problem didn't happen?

but that's why hce was so great, they made a true or at least, semi true arena shooter for consoles. post hce, the series got further and further away from an arena shooter.

The thing I miss most from CE is that constant drive to move around the map gathering power-ups. We've gotten a bit of that back with H5 for sure, but there is still too much aimless time where I'm waiting for an incentive to be aggressive on the map.

Every major pick-up on the map needs to be on static timers.

• Upvote (+1) 5

What do you think inspired halo ce?

halo is literally built off of mechanics found in unreal and tribes, with games like rainbow six also contributing.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I see. I really can't really complain about this, they are just trying to help out the noobs. In my eyes, this really doesn't have a huge affect on the playing field when top tier players are involved. Also, is there a video of this happening on weapons with a smaller cross hair like the magnum?

I just don't understand why some kind of lag compensation isn't in place. Are we seriously taxing the servers that strongly that they can't add a process to manage delay?

So how does that function for people viewing off-host gameplays in H3, where this problem didn't happen?

You couldn't get a first person view of anyone but yourself?

Do you understand how lag compensation works?

Do you understand how anything works?

I don't think anybody cares about battlefront anymore.

Huh? Battlefront? What's that?

In all seriousness, it's a forgettable game in my eyes and I don't see it selling well or maintaining a population.

You couldn't get a first person view of anyone but yourself?

Do you understand how lag compensation works?

Do you understand how anything works?

I suddenly find myself not understanding why I ever bother engaging you, I'll say that much.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My guess is that it's an upload bandwidth issue. You only want to send the most vital data to the server so you aren't interfering with shot and movement data. I'm not sure how much extra data it would take to send a 100% accurate set of your actions within the game, but I definitely don't want theater data fucking up my shot latency.

This problem didn't exist when we were doing it locally, which will always be the best solution.

I'm speculating on all of this. It could actually be locally processed and just dogshit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It stands to show that I feel that Halo 5 is the "best" since 2007. Halo 3 just felt horrible. Reach was semigood with Invasion and Zombies. 4 was well.....it was Halo 4. The last time I actually had a smile on my face whilst playing Halo was 2. And now I find myself smiling and actually being able to stomach playing it. That to me is the best thing.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Whenever someone talks about adjusting the power of the utility weapons in H5 "upsetting the balance" I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

The balance of what? Of the power to escape with thrusters? Of the power of the tier 3 weapons to kill you in one hit regardless? There is no balance upset, especially if you buff all of the utility weapons (AR not included) and leave everything else as is. You have faster kill times across the board, thrust and sprint become less of a cheating mechanism, clamber can actually expose a player, and escaping death becomes far less of an issue, plus you are now a more effective killing machine and can drop multiple players on the reg if you're good. You also have the added benefit of not having people bitch and moan about taking away the "variety" by continuing to make all three utility weapons useful.

Literally no downside.

You're right, the balanced weapon sandbox argument doesn't REALLY matter that much for good competitive settings. It's sort of just a bonus that every weapon is viable in the game's current state. Even in pro matches lots of players pick up the light rifle, storm rifle, smg etc. But then there are players like snipedown who mostly pass those up and just use the pistol.

A 4SK pistol would definitely be a drastic change that is tries to solve a problem that doesn't exist. There are really very few things wrong with the game mechanics. BR is a little easy, magnetism is forgiving, AR scoped might be a little stronger than it should be, but that's about it. It's hard to say if a 4SK pistol would even help these so-called skill gap problems. Faster TTK with the same gun might just make worse players less likely to choke, and give good players less chance to strafe/juke.

And sprint thrust and clamber definitely don't feel like cheating mechanisms. Sprint is the worst offender for sure, but it's almost not a problem in this game. Thrust is just plain good and is skillful. And as far as clamber goes, there are plenty of jumps where you still gain a significant advantage by not clambering, and plenty more that require more spartan abilities in combination to hit.

Core gameplay changes really aren't necessary. The game is just plain good.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I suddenly find myself not understanding why I ever bother engaging you, I'll say that much.

Well Lemon I always knew you were clueless, I just never had objective proof like this before

The reason why the shots don't line up at all is pretty simple if you actually understood how netcode works

Just go read about it yourself and then think about this conversation the next time you decide to start flaming somebody

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 10

I see. I really can't really complain about this, they are just trying to help out the noobs. In my eyes, this really doesn't have a huge affect on the playing field when top tier players are involved. Also, is there a video of this happening on weapons with a smaller cross hair like the magnum?

I don't think that's exactly the main issue with people complaining about aim. A lot of whats going on there happens in just about every console shooter, but it's the levels of these factors that vary in each game. I'm assuming the biggest factor, which isn't talked about in that video, is the way that aim acceleration feels for those who wish to play on a medium and higher sensitivity. I have very twitchy aim and like high sensitivities. On 10 it's incredibly hard for me to whip my crosshair around and it feels like it takes a long time to work its way up to it's intended sens.

I also assume those who are fine with the system are those who are not used to twitchy aiming or higher sens, and prefer the comfort and control of lower sensitivities. I think thats why some people like it and some people don't. It seems easier on low sensitivities to track players, and with low aim acceleration it's harder to sweep off your opponent. It's an interesting mix, it's like they wanted to add some shooting skill gap by lowering aim assist, but they upped bullet magnetism. If they can give players an aim acceleration slider, I'm guessing that would solve all the issues.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The absolute REAL test for Halo 5 is population retention.

I'm incredibly curious to see where this game is gonna be in a month. 

Halo 5 is great and an awesome competitive game. Truth is it will die because people want Halo to go back to its roots. People simply don't like new Halo no matter how you slice it. 343 and M$ just don't get it. I enjoy Halo 5 and will continue too. 

• Upvote (+1) 1