CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

No, the whole point is not that the system in Halo 5 now is terrible. It's that it's a slippery slope and if not met with complaints, will lead us to having microtransactions that effect Arena in Halo 6. The REQ system in Halo 5 is obviously in here to test the waters and see how Halo fans react to microtransactions. 

inb4 Regular business practices = tin foil hat. 

slippery slope is a logical device in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any rational argument or demonstrable mechanism for the inevitability of the event in question.

Just saying dude.

We all fear the idea of M$ demanding we cram out $ in their mouths while the fuck us. I don't like them being in there either. However what I can support is that they're using the money towards something that I DO care about. Then again, I'd rather just pay for fucking team gun skins. 

I'm honestly getting real sick and tired of the complete lack of critical thought and understanding of the current state of the video game industry. Please do some research into the psychology of micro transactions and then come back here. It's really not as simple as "don't buy them if you don't want". And Joe is completely right that it will probably start a slippery slope like every other franchise. Check out some Extra Credits YouTube videos on the topic for a surface level analysis if you have time.

And yeah the funding of tournament and maps is pr bullshit

• Upvote (+1) 4

I have yet to read one legitimate reason why the AR should remain as is.

What purposes does it serve? It allows less skilled players to get kills they would otherwise never get in a 'halo' game. It definitely isn't only a close range option anymore. Which it always has been for what, over ten years? I really think it's an undercover play by 343 to allow more accessibility to the COD crowd.

We understand it's not OP. We understand that it can be easily countered with good shooting and awareness. But it doesn't change the fact that it's probably twice as effective as it ever has been from range. It's not a good change for a game that wants to be 'competitive.' It effectively narrows the skill gap.

And I ask myself, why is this crutch even necessary with a proper ranking system? Noobs loved hammering each other with assault rifles since CE. Remember when the majority of the games on XBC were just 4v4 bg CTF? They could still do that (but oh wait 343 forgot to add that to the new CE Playlist).

Players have fun when they're playing other players of similar skill level. I don't see why shrinking the skill gap is ever the right option. A proper ranking system makes the game fun for everyone, while shrinking the skill gap just makes it less enjoyable for those who want to get close to the ceiling. Then your online population dies once everyone realizes how shallow the game is.

I'll admit now my "have you played the game yet" spree was me being a stubborn ass. Like you, I get a little fed up with some of the arguments here and it's hard to keep my cool. I don't blame you for calling me out on that. In fact I'm glad you did, I've learned a good lesson. 

On topic, I don't think it's so much the fact that we're just letting 343 do their thing. I think it's mainly that we're just having a lot of fun and we don't see it as an issue that is breaking the game, or an issue AS BIG as some of you are making it seem.

Most of us believe this is an entirely new beast with an entirely new meta. It's something that will take at least a month to master everything. I think if a lot of you see that as a new game, with a new skillgap and meta, it'll go a long way to reaching a common ground with making weapon changes.

Despite that, I DO think the AR could def. be nerfed, for sure, but I don't think it's game breaking. It's a tad TOO strong on it's own, but I don't think it's role should be designated to "clean up weapon".

Well if I respond to this, I'll just be re-wording what I said last night since I feel that I conveyed my opinion on the issue perfectly there. I will add though that there are people that don't want the AR to be nerfed at all.

I'm honestly getting real sick and tired of the complete lack of critical thought and understanding of the current state of the video game industry. Please do some research into the psychology of micro transactions and then come back here. It's really not as simple as "don't buy them if you don't want". And Joe is completely right that it will probably start a slippery slope like every other franchise. Check out some Extra Credits YouTube videos on the topic for a surface level analysis if you have time.

Them not stating the percentage of revenue that goes to tournaments is shady as well.

So what's the consensus on DLC maps and guns in games like CoD and previous halos? I don't like that model at all personally. I'd rather pay one price for the game and get all the content that will be available for that game. If they have micro transactions so be it as long as there's a way to earn the items by simply playing the game.

Side bar: I'm beginning to hope for 2 halo releases in the future personally. I'd like a campaign halo and a multiplayer halo. Multiplayer halo can be like csgo and be on the cheap side of things like 20 bucks, and be funded additionally by skins and the like. Make campaign halos MP be warzone and the MP halo have arena and btb. Campaign halo can sacrifice 60 fps for split screen that way too. But then again I don't give two shits about playing single player anything lol so I know I'm in the minority.

Well if I respond to this, I'll just be re-wording what I said last night since I feel that I conveyed my opinion on the issue perfectly there. I will add though that there are people that don't want the AR to be nerfed at all.

Yeah, and them not stating the percentage of revenue that goes to tournaments is shady as well.

This would be nice to know, true. 

I guess, like I said, I'm optimistic they won't fuck it up. I mean, you DON'T have much breathing room in the AAA space. People see mobile games and other smaller AAA studios pulling some awful shit, but, I gotta be honest, after Forza 5 I don't see it getting worse than this. 

Especially since it was a first party MS studio, I doubt they'll be much worse than they are now in the future. Forza 5's was kind of a scapegoat, they weren't THAT bad, but people latched onto it and the backlash really made it suffer critically. 

I don't think MS would want that again with one of their big 4 franchises.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whenever someone talks about adjusting the power of the utility weapons in H5 "upsetting the balance" I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

The balance of what? Of the power to escape with thrusters? Of the power of the tier 3 weapons to kill you in one hit regardless? There is no balance upset, especially if you buff all of the utility weapons (AR not included) and leave everything else as is. You have faster kill times across the board, thrust and sprint become less of a cheating mechanism, clamber can actually expose a player, and escaping death becomes far less of an issue, plus you are now a more effective killing machine and can drop multiple players on the reg if you're good. You also have the added benefit of not having people bitch and moan about taking away the "variety" by continuing to make all three utility weapons useful.

Literally no downside.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Bravo said it's in testing, ch eck his twitter from maybe 2 days ago.

I found the tweet. Good call  :)

That is the exact attitude that lead us to the games with terrible microtransactions in games we have today. Mobile game microtransactions at first were not "required" and no one complained, now look what we have. Also, that "support HCS and free maps" is 100% marketing. They would be doing free maps regardless of REQ packs because they know how beneficial free maps are to their sustain plan.

Edit: Almost forgot, let's just wait and see about these free maps, we don't even know how many will be forge maps and how many will be remakes/remastered.

But their sustain plan is completely pointless without a revenue stream. They almost certainly wouldn't be giving us free maps without microtransactions.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

wouldn't that make the BR a little too easy since it has so much aim assist?

BR is going to be easy no matter how many shots to kill it takes.

Take a look at this guys link below, FFA with BR starts on Truth. Guy wasn't even aiming at their head and getting hitmarkers/headshots. It looks as if, you can just shoot in their general direction and get hit markers. If you slow down around 4:05 and watch their battle the reticule is clearly to the left of the player and it's giving him hitmarkers while he's missing. Does anyone know if the pistol acts this way as well? I'm trying to figure out how I miss so much with controversy around the aiming ystem. I try strafing and other evasion techniques but I seem to get killed pretty easily still and watching this video pretty much sums it up.

its theatre mode

theatre mode always looks like there is more bullet magnetism then there really is, atleast in H5 

B-but... Faster killtimes will make the game too much like C-CoD!

We can't have Halo copy some of the only good facets of CoD.

Whenever someone talks about adjusting the power of the utility weapons in H5 "upsetting the balance" I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

The balance of what? Of the power to escape with thrusters? Of the power of the tier 3 weapons to kill you in one hit regardless? There is no balance upset, especially if you buff all of the utility weapons (AR not included) and leave everything else as is. You have faster kill times across the board, thrust and sprint become less of a cheating mechanism, clamber can actually expose a player, and escaping death becomes far less of an issue, plus you are now a more effective killing machine and can drop multiple players on the reg if you're good. You also have the added benefit of not having people bitch and moan about taking away the "variety" by continuing to make all three utility weapons useful.

Literally no downside.

Yeah, that's a little different from buffing the pistol alone. If you buff the pistol to a 4sk nobody would ever pick up any other utility weapon in Arena IMO.

But yeah, you are right, buffing every utility weapon would work just fine.

BR is going to be easy no matter how many shots to kill it takes.

The word easy here being defined as ease of killing opponent, a 1sk BR would be easier to use than a 12sk BR.

Supercell, the company responsible for Clash of Clans, Hay Day, and Boom Beach generated $1.7 Billion dollars in 2014. Don't underestimate people buying stupid shit.

But why would normal people with regular impulse control care about this? Req packs dont effect gameplay in arena. Theres no issue.

The word easy here being defined as ease of killing opponent, a 1sk BR would be easier to use than a 12sk BR.

Well I mean, a 30-shot BR would be a bigger test of skill, but we're decreasing the kill times to help improve the flow of the game.