CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The reason you're getting killed by an AR is not your fault and has nothing to do with your poor aiming, unless you actually do mean you're not a good shot in Halo.

The reason is because of the unbalanced weapons sandbox. The AR should never be more powerful than the Pistol or even the BR. In a lot of cases, the AR is, and that's what's wrong.

im not the best shot in halo, and ive had countless times where the ar kills me at its close range... but i have seen some other ranges its killed at and makes me think wha???

I guess im just not seeing it as a huge deal right now. I haven't zero issues with the ar being a strong close range weapon.

The starting AR should be as powerful as it was in CE. You literally needed to be up close while the other person missed all their headshots to kill them. Good luck owing someone down with the AR from medium range in CE. Bungie balanced it right....back in 2001.

"The AR is fine....adapt"

Actually you could pump the trigger and do way more damage at midrange than you think

Maybe we have a different definition of what "close" is

The aiming is indeed different, but I love it because with the low sticky aim, your aim is much more important than what weapon you're holding. Now as for the full autos such as the smg and the ar... sure i dont like spraying people down and i dont like being killed by them, but id say 99% of the time, when im killed by an ar, its my mistake, my poor aiming, my poor decision making, etc.

I feel like this game has a lot more riding on your aim and knowing when to engage in a fight and when to back off.

All those points are either wrong or contradictory on some level. Your gun is just as important as your aim, because if you're facing an equally skilled opponent who's just as good as you at aiming, the guy with the better gun has the advantage and will win more often. Now, as has been pointed out, the AR (and SMG for that matter) have crazy kill times, which actually makes them the theoretically optimum weapon to use in many situations. That's never been the case before in any prior Halo game; the precision weapons always guaranteed a win with perfect play against the spray weapons, and that's obviously how it should be. But now, if you get shot first by an automatic weapon, most of the time you will either just lose or be forced to thruster pack and run away; there's very little scope for being able to turn around and out-gun any remotely competent opponent.

And no, this game doesn't have more riding on your aim and knowing when to engage/back-off; those concepts are equally staple for all competitive shooters. If anything, there's now less emphasis on aim because of how powerful the automatics are, which inherently require less precise aiming than the precision weapons. It's now officially viable to spray the opponent and win. The problem with autos is that the winner is more often decided by who landed the first shot rather than who had the better aim and/or maneuvering. Spawning with weapons like that is not conducive to good gameplay at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The starting AR should be as powerful as it was in CE. You literally needed to be up close while the other person missed all their headshots to kill them. Good luck owing someone down with the AR from medium range in CE. Bungie balanced it right....back in 2001.

I would agree the range of the ar should. be reduced. i still think it needs to be a starting weapon that deals massive close range dmg.

Actually you could pump the trigger and do way more damage at midrange than you think

Maybe we have a different definition of what "close" is

Probably, but the fact remains that you needed to really earn that AR kill at a certain range in H1 against a pistol player. If I'm not missing with the pistol in H5 at close-medium ranges...I should not be dying from some kid spraying his AR.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well, the reason is that 343 is pushing to have radar in HCS. 

As far as an actual explanation, however... ...

Also...regarding radar. Are you guys still doing the "adapt" thing as well? I don't care how small the range is....we have a fucking radar in the games competitive playlist. Please quote me and tell me how much you think it's fine so I can never take your opinion on competitive halo serious again. Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The starting AR should be as powerful as it was in CE. You literally needed to be up close while the other person missed all their headshots to kill them. Good luck mowing someone down with the AR from medium range in CE. Bungie balanced it right....back in 2001.

Are those the killtimes in the post you quoted for Halo 5? They really need to buff the pistol, br, and dmr so the AR is less viable. That's COD kinds of ridiculous.

Are those the killtimes in the post you quoted for Halo 5? They really need to buff the pistol, br, and dmr so the AR is less viable. That's ridiculous.

yes...yes it is

shout out to doju the halo scientist for testing the kill times to see how serious of a problem this was instead of blindly adapting and thinking everything was kosher.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Pistol - 1.26
AR - 1.13
BR - 1.33
1.28 DMR

These are the killtimes that were found by D0ju. BR kills slower by a fraction of a second, while the AR actually has A FASTER perfect kill time than the "skilful utility weapon".

Anyone with logical sense can see that the Magnum needs a buff. Trades are terrible, and should be eliminated as much as possible.

Holy shit, are those true?

That AR-Pistol balancing is a joke..

• Upvote (+1) 3

Another thing that should be fixed is the AR's range.

No joke, complete opposite sides of the map, I crouch-shot with the AR and killed someone.. all the way across the map.

Holy shit, are those true?

That AR-Pistol balancing is a joke..

The TTK isn't the only balancing to fix.

No joke, complete opposite sides of the map, I crouch-shot with the AR and killed someone.. all the way across the map.

congrats on adapting

Anybody else having issues with getting headshots in this game? I feel as if especially in breakout. I run to the DMR and will shoot someone clearly in the face across the map and it takes a good 2-3 shots. It might contributed to the aim bug that everone is mentioning. In regular arena, I feel as if I'm aiming at their head and they just eat the shot then I get killed because they spam the pistol especially when I have a BR.

congrats on adapting

I wish I didn't have to adapt. I felt so dirty having to use an AR so I wouldn't get mowed down by a barrage of overpowered AR bullets.

I'm finding warzone assault very fun, best place for aiming practice.

Hahaha I know right, just REQ your favorite weapon and start racking up the multi-kills.

So how open would 343 be to lowering the range of the ar?

We'd have to fix not only that, but also the shots-to-kill of the BR, DMR, and Pistol.

They'll only change it if enough people bring it to attention, and sadly, a lot of people don't see it as a problem from what I see. They just want BR starts instead, which doesn't really fix anything.

My main issue is that the AR ttk hardly decreases as range increases because the bullet spread is way too tight. Decrease it's accuracy and I really think we'd be fine, similar to the CE AR. I have no problem with it being a boss at close range. That's it's niche. But Holy shit I've had some seriously long range kills with it that nobody deserves.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sniper bridge to rocket spawn on Coliseum, double kill without a problem...I had to pase pace my shots but still...

Orion is a terrible 4v4 map, but it is a decent FFA map. At least it is is bigger and more open allowing for space and pistol use with 8 players.

Plaza is tight and terrible for FFA. Nothing but ARs.

Sniper bridge to rocket spawn on Coliseum, double kill without a problem...I had to pase pace my shots but still...

Crouch and use smart-link/zoom and you don't even have to pace your shots. I'm serious, crouching and zooming increases the accuracy quite a bit, which is ridiculous and something I don't agree with.

More open to a 4SK pistol.

Make the BR 3SK, since it's not a starting weapon in anything other than SWAT, as well and we'll be golden.