CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Well, the reason is that 343 is pushing to have radar in HCS. 

As far as an actual explanation, however... ...

So the casuals at neogaf and reddit hate the fact that the radar is reduced, it's useless they say

Then the competitive players hate the fact that it's present in arena, say it's wallhack

another example of 343 wanting to everybody and in doing so pleased exactly nobody

• Upvote (+1) 1

And this is why we need a social/ranked split. Vanilla Halo will never be as competitive as it could be. Now everyone has to suffer.

But we have Warzone so we don't need social playlists. :kappa:

Seriously though, I brought this point up when they announced all playlists would be ranked and that is the number one criticism I got on that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But we have Warzone so we don't need social playlists. :kappa:

Seriously though, I brought this point up when they announced all playlists would be ranked and that is the number one criticism I got on that.

Me too man I got so much flack for wanting them split. I even stated all the problems the unified settings would bring and SURPRISE look what happened. People care more about population counters than the actual game.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Nail on head.

You know why the AR is perfect in CE? Because I can drop an AR guy unloading on me at close range in three shots, and still have enough left in me to drop another guy coming at me with an AR or a pistol if I'm good enough.

You don't get rewarded for being good with the pistol in H5 with respect to the other weapons. There's barely any differentiation, and that's exactly why it's bad.

Right, so there is no point in a balanced sandbox then. 343 wants balanced so that's why things are as is.

Right, so there is no point in a balanced sandbox then. 343 wants balanced so that's why things are as is.

How is the Halo 5 AR more balanced than the CE one? Please let me know because it's the complete opposite.

My buddy who sucks at Halo and was a highest skill of 27 in H3 just showed me his Onyx rank in Swat and FFA. I hate this ranking system. Onyx is WAY too easy to obtain.

He literally has a negative KDA. How does he get Onyx???

The ranking system is fucking awful just like a certain someone said before release but everyone disagreed...

So, once again, a ranking system with placement matches, seasons and no fucking derank is by default fucking cancer.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

343 definitely needs to do some major work on the ranking system and it's mechanics, especially the portion that determines where your skill is. There are some times where I don't think it calculates it accurately.

I think right now it just calculates it in accordance to the number of players in a playlist when it needs to go deeper than that.

How is the Halo 5 AR more balanced than the CE one? Please let me know because it's the complete opposite.

First of all my post wasn't againts his point, I'm stating how it is right now, fact. Second when did I say it was more balanced, come on man if your going to get defensive, read my post. Third, when I said balanced sandbox I'm talking about halo 5, not comparing h5 AR to ce's AR.

Also what people don't understand what made halo great was the unbalanced sandbox and a strong utility weapon.

• Downvote (-1) 1

First of all my post wasn't againts his point, I'm stating how it is right now, fact. Second when did I say it was more balanced, come on man if your going to get defensive, read my post. Third, when I said balanced sandbox I'm talking about halo 5, not comparing h5 AR to ce's AR.

Also what people don't understand what made halo great was the unbalanced sandbox and a strong utility weapon.

That's not unbalanced though. That's IS balance. Having a strong utility weapon is what balances the games. They are (usually) the most difficult precision weapons that reward you highly for being good with them. A game like CE is far more balanced than Halo 5 because of this fact. Low skill weapons should have bad kill times to balance out their ease of use. What Halo 5 has is too many viable weapons and too much redundancy.

In other news, grinding my way up from Plat 1 to Plat 5 now in Team Arena, solo, has been interesting.

Literally my struggle today. Went from Plat 1 to Plat 6 solo, then started struggling, went to Plat 5 (maybe 4), called it a day. Had a game where two people on my team were in Onyx and went -13 and -10 in Coliseum Slayer. >_>

So I'm Platinum in Slayer and Breakout, Diamond in FFA after placement, and Onyx in SWAT, yet I'm Gold in Team Arena.

No idea what happened here.

From Waypoint: 

Lastly is the pacing for multiplayer. It feels too much like COD. One hit melees, power weapons spawn to fast, and needing to stop for shield recharge is stupid.
There has never been a problem with Halo shields recharging while you ran in ANY Halo, so why change that now? Halo is generally regarded as one of the most competitive video games in the world and never has this been a concern of players but more a tool to help survive. If it wasn't broken, why fix it? (Same goes for the radar, 10m is such a useless radar distance. You don't see people on it until they are close enough to assassinate you.)

TeamBeyond is literally the only forum I can tolerate right now, well for the MP part of the game atleast

It's hella negative in here but at least people know what  they are talking about 

• Upvote (+1) 4

That's not unbalanced though. That's IS balance. Having a strong utility weapon is what balances the games. They are (usually) the most difficult precision weapons that reward you highly for being good with them. A game like CE is far more balanced than Halo 5 because of this fact. Low skill weapons should have bad kill times to balance out their ease of use. What Halo 5 has is too many viable weapons and too much redundancy.

Again, I'm NOT ARGUING against you, I'm saying to 343, balanced sandbox means, being able to use multiple weapons to get kills, but in all seriousness you don't actually think ce had a balanced sandbox, do you? It was pistol and plasma rifle and that's it. And again I loved ce, not bashing it.

Reread your post, you keep referring to a balanced game, I'm talking about strictly weapons, usability and damage dealt, not gameplay.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Again, I'm NOT ARGUING against you, I'm saying to 343, balanced sandbox means, being able to use multiple weapons to get kills, but in all seriousness you don't actually think ce had a balanced sandbox, do you? It was pistol and plasma rifle and that's it. And again I loved ce, not bashing it.

I get what you are saying and I'm not necessarily arguing against you just what you stated 343 wants. As far as Halo CE being more balanced yes I do believe it was. The shotgun is a monster in close range and can QC, the AR has fast melees and can QC, the plasma rifle can melt OS and is a great ambush weapon, the sniper is very difficult but when mastered is a beast (see ogre 2 on Chill Out), and rockets are actually strong. Needlers are just a troll weapon and plasma pistol sucks. But the quick spawn times of powerups helped keep everything balanced as well. As far as the pistol goes it is very strong ONLY if you 3sk or 4sk someone. On average most people take a lot of shots to kill. However, that is exactly why it was balanced. A weapon that difficult should reward you for using it. No other weapon took nearly as much skill (except the sniper which can 1sk) so that's why it can kill so quickly. It had a high skill gap. That is balance.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Have been playing Ranked on my alt because of preview program lag outs /from what i understand anyways 

Got Onyx in FFA / seems like its way to easy to get , i have a friend that won 1 game and places 3rd/4th the other 9 and still got onyx i won 8 out of the 10 vs high ish onyx and was placed in the same rank WTF is that,

im really really enjoying the game but i feel like i dont understand the ranking system as much a i would like to 

p.s. not being able to see friends party details is killing me hope we get a fix for that soon.

Havent heard many people complain about ground pound or clamber, but i kinda hate them. Ground pound reminds me of the bolt shot. They can pretty obviously miss and my shields are still down. Making a clutch clamber in the heat of battle just is not as exciting as making a clutch skill jump in the heat of battle.

I may get some flack for this, but I was thinking. What if the ranking system based itself on kills and deaths (for slayer and it's variants) and objective defenses/offenses (for objective based gametypeS) in combination with person's rank rather than wins and losses?

Since Halo 3 at least, I remember thinking that the ranking systems we had, and the ones we have now (not counting Halo 2's 1-50) are really just a glorified win/loss leaderboard in a sense.

If you have a KD over or at 1.0, your MMR increases in according to how much and consider the person's rank that they were going against when getting kills as well. If you're below 1.0, you rank down or lose MMR, depending on what's being used as the MMR. I know this defeats what I said before, making it a k/d leaderboard, which is why opponent rank factors in as well.

This would work great for slayer-based gametypes. I think for objective gametypes, how well a person tackles on taking objectives or defending objectives would need to be factored in as well.

Don't know how that would factor into placement matches and I'm sure what I am saying here isn't as easy as it sounds, but I keep wondering if that's a better way to tell rank and skill rather than just going solely by wins/losses. You shouldn't have to suffer because of bad teammates.

Like I said, I know I'll get flack for this though because I know quite a few of you hate the idea of K/D ratio being important and the stat-boasting and boosting that comes along with it, but for ranks, I don't see this being a bad thing. Would remind me a lot of Halo 2 in a sense.

Because at the current moment, it only takes 4 wins to go to the next level, and 4 losses to go to the previous level. The MMR shouldn't increase/decrease at a set amount, is basically what I'm getting at. The current way ranking works needs to have more depth and more added to it than just win/loss alone.

@@Sal1ent... I hate feeling I'm repeating myself here, but can we please get the FFA spawns/player count looked at? And by player count looked at, I mean reduced to 6? I yet have to meet a single person who doesn't call the experience frustrating at high levels.

This dude LITERALLY spawned into a grenade I was throwing.

(Original clip for those who want to watch in higher resolution: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Vetoed/video/12508886)

I've been on the receiving end on those spawns and it's the most irritating thing in the entire game. I have a LOT of fun with Halo 5, but more often than not, FFA is just frustrating and random, and that's coming from someone who has been grinding FFA across different games for YEARS and even went ahead and attempt to master what Halo 5 has to offer. It's just not a consistent experience.

Some sort of response or feedback would mean the world. Thanks in advance.

Bravo said it's in testing, ch eck his twitter from maybe 2 days ago.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Havent heard many people complain about ground pound or clamber, but i kinda hate them. Ground pound reminds me of the bolt shot. They can pretty obviously miss and my shields are still down. Making a clutch clamber in the heat of battle just is not as exciting as making a clutch skill jump in the heat of battle.

Ground Pound hasn't bugged me too much, yet at least. Just glad they took it off the crouch button. As for Clamber, I still think it's dumb and pointless, but no way we can take it out now as most maps pretty much require it. Would be interesting to see an animation change that allows your gun to stay up though, maybe a quick thrust up.

Yeah, the Halo subreddit is unusable right now. The people complaining aren't even the issue. It's the white knight, nothing is wrong, everything is fine, people that are killing it. Honeymoon phase is always a fun time.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1