CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

The problem is that they melt you no matter what because the gun is a powerful full auto. If you turn the corner on 2 pistol users they still have to actually aim and land their shots. With AR's they just look in your general direction and hold the trigger.

Two guns in any situation is going to melt you and be 'powerful'. There's literally nothing a user can do in that situation except try to weaken them and hope their team mates can pick up the kill. 

If you put yourself in a situation were two AR users can melt you, that's bad positioning on your end.

I just have one question for the people saying the AR isn't too powerful: Do you think the AR helps the skill gap in this game? Do you think it is beneficial to HCS having this gun, the way it is now?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I would say the AR needs to be a tad stronger (or just a bit more accurate) than its H1 iteration in the sandbox but no stronger. H5 goes a little beyond that from what I can see.

H3 had a pretty good balance imo. The AR could do damage in that game but a BR user would kill them most of the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Two guns in any situation is going to melt you and be 'powerful'.

Not necessarily. If they do it's because they aimed well. In no other Halo has this really been a problem because the 2 enemies still had to have skill to kill you. The problem isn't necessarily how fast you die it's how easy and effective it is to do. If 2 pistol users are fighting you I guarantee you will live longer against them than the 2 pistol users.

Again, it's not positioning it's the fact that maps are super segmented with tight hallways. Even if you are with a teammate as long as 2 people look at you and AR you, you will die a cheese death.

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 had a pretty good balance imo. The AR could do damage in that game but a BR user would kill them most of the time.

Agreed. The Halo 3 AR is the best iteration of the weapon in the series. It was well balanced.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But it really isn't

Yeah I keep cross mapping people with the AR all the time. 

It's almost a wonder that they are both the starting weapons.

*slow clap* 

How could I ever counter

• Upvote (+1) 4

Unaware? There are 50000 different angles people can come from, and they can sprint up from anywhere. 

Uh, no. Please provide a solid example of any map that has this issue. Seriously. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong if you can do that. Even with clamber, there are a limited amount of angles a player can engage you from. Once you pay attention to spawns, where your team is currently at, and where the other team is at, you can narrow it down to a couple of places they can engage you from and act accordingly.

No matter how great you think you are you will never be fully aware in this game. And yes, the AR is still effective at long range especially when you crouch and scope. Again, no matter how you spin it, the AR is too powerful given it's ease of use.

The thing is, game balance is relative to the one critiquing it. If you match Billy28539 against OGRE2 in Halo CE, Billy will probably complain that the pistol is too overpowered and the game sucks. For me, the autos are fine and can easily be dealt with. If you feel differently, that's cool man. Just personally, I have no issue with them at all.

This all really comes back to one difference of opinion at some point. Some people prefer that you're given a kill by being aware enough to press Y at the correct time and place and other people believe that gun skill should always be a part of every kill (not the only deciding factor obviously). If the AR were some sort of pick up, like the SMG, I'd personally be a lot more accepting because you'd have to first be controlling the weapon to have an advantage and then be in position to use it effectively. Right now the AR just feels like a dumbed down and easy to use primary weapon that's only useful at close/mid range. It just feels wrong to me in a game where I think gun skill should be just as important as positioning and teamwork etc. It feels like it just removes the gun skill part to me

*slow clap*

How could I ever counter

It doesn't matter. You are impossible to have a rational discussion with so no one tries. That's why you are always given a special forum title so you feel a little better about yourself.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It feels like it just removes the gun skill part to me

Excuse me sir, are you implying that a spray weapon is less skillful than a precision weapon? 

What is the Halo world coming to. 

It doesn't matter. You are impossible to have a rational discussion with so no one tries. That's why you are always given a special forum title so you feel a little better about yourself.

His forum title is actually true though.

Purple names get to choose their own titles, nice try though. 

Not necessarily. If they do it's because they aimed well. In no other Halo has this really been a problem because the 2 enemies still had to have skill to kill you. The problem isn't necessarily how fast you die it's how easy and effective it is to do. If 2 pistol users are fighting you I guarantee you will live longer against them than the 2 pistol users.

Again, it's not positioning it's the fact that maps are super segmented with tight hallways. Even if you are with a teammate as long as 2 people look at you and AR you, you will die a cheese death.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It all depends on the situation - player location especially. 

Can totally see where you're coming from though, I just don't see the AR being any different than the Pistol, Storm Rifle, Boltshot, Plasma Caster, etc in this situation. Even if one of the players has worse aim and isn't going to hit a perfect, they're still doing more damage than a single user would be. 

Even against two ARs, the user can strafe, use thruster, etc to try and stay alive longer. That's no different for once again - a Pistol, Storm Rifle, Boltshot, Plasma Caster, etc.

His forum title is actually true though.

Lets not act like anyone at 343i truly gives a shit about him lol

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It all depends on the situation - player location especially.

Can totally see where you're coming from though, I just don't see the AR being any different than the Pistol, Storm Rifle, Boltshot, Plasma Caster, etc in this situation. Even if one of the players has worse aim and isn't going to hit a perfect, they're still doing more damage than a single user would be.

Even against two ARs, the user can strafe, use thruster, etc to try and stay alive longer.

I guess as the game goes on we will see how things progress. I just think the AR having such little spread and such a good ttk causes some annoying scenarios. I prefer barebones Halo so this is all weird for me. I guess you could say #adapt

Purple names get to choose their own titles, nice try though.

The purple name is what I meant. How do you think we dealt with you on THC as well? We gave you a special indicator.

It works wonders.

Anyway, AR isn't nearly as powerful as you all think it is. Try out the SMG and imagine that as the starting weapon. That would be broken.

The purple name is what I meant. How do you think we dealt with you on THC as well? We gave you a special indicator.

It works wonders.

Anyway, AR isn't nearly as powerful as you all think it is. Try out the SMG and imagine that as the starting weapon. That would be broken.

The AR is more overpowered than the smg though.

I guess as the game goes on we will see how things progress. I just think the AR having such little spread and such a good ttk causes some annoying scenarios. I prefer barebones Halo so this is all weird for me. I guess you could say #adapt

Yeah. I mean if most games end up with people sitting in corners waiting for someone to walk around so they can AR them, then we've got a problem but right now the AR doesn't seem to be a huge issue provided everything else is going well.

I could see it being awful in FFA due to 8 players on some maps, especially with the spawns in their current state.

It works wonders.

You mean how I specifically told them to get rid of my special title since they were kissing ass to the devs? 

And who is "we"? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

The AR is more overpowered than the smg though.

Hahaha what in the world.

Oh that must have been a troll post because my ribs would have broke from laughter otherwise.

Yeah. I mean if most games end up with people sitting in corners waiting for someone to walk around so they can AR them, then we've got a problem but right now the AR doesn't seem to be a huge issue provided everything else is going well.

I could see it being awful in FFA due to 8 players on some maps, especially with the spawns in their current state.

Yea FFA is a huge AR fest. But 6 person matches should help alleviate that.

I'm surprised nobody commented on that Empire Strongholds game at Daytona earlier. I swear more AR kills happened in that game than I've gotten in H5 in the last 5 days. I think it was the WB semis?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm surprised nobody commented on that Empire Strongholds game at Daytona earlier. I swear more AR kills happened in that game than I've gotten in H5 in the last 5 days

That's because Empire as a map has nothing going for it. Too much clutter and the only real useful sight lines are on the outside of the map. Its by far the worst real map in Halo 5.