CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Casuals have not and will not ever watch Halo tournaments just because the settings are the same. They hate the entire idea of competitive Halo, they would just complain that the pistol is being used too much. You think if MLG kept default Halo 2, Halo 3, or Halo Reach's setting at default they would have done better? Quite the opposite. 

Because default settings in those games were trash. Not the case in this game. 

"Side note about the aim sens thing- it levels the playing field, so stop crying r/Halo. What I mean is that if the aim mechanics were kept the same as older Halos then the kids who were good at H2/H3/H4 (hahhahaah H4) would dominate and new players wouldn't have a chance to rise up. Now that H5 aiming is new to everyone, there's more of a fair chance. So what if it's a little counter-intuitive? If you want the same goddamn thing every game iteration go play CoD you fucking scrubs.

Downvote me if you want, I'm gonna go have sex with a black girl now, Bernie Sanders 2016, PEACE."

Reddit is worse than I thought

Almost negged you there cuz I thought you typed that bullshit.

We're pushing 4SK for sure since people always thrust away on the 5th shot which is absolutely frustrating thing to deal with

This won't work, people will just thrust away after the 3rd shot this time and not the 4th.

The problem isn't the pistol, it's thrusters.

Of course 343 could just nerf the thrust distance, but then you couldn't make half of the jumps in the game because they designed maps around Thrust and Sprint. :)

lol at the BR/pistol conflict

Yet another thing they could've learned from Halo old-timers - if you slap a BR skin on top of the current pistol, that eliminates a huge chunk of the complaining.

Well except that then we would instead of buff the pistol we would have buff the BR discussion.

Has nothing to do with whether the default settings are good or not. Casual gamers aka non-competitive gamers won't ever give two fucks about competitive gaming....just like I will never give two fucks about playing what they play on the regular...

Not as trashy but there are still things in the game that could be removed/added to make it more competitive, which is what I thought was important. I guess I was wrong. Settings parity is more important. 

LOL Still not better than Halo 3.

Halo 3 was complete shit.  H5 is already better with the issues it has.  H3 had maps and thats it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Okay I am happy as hell right now. I know, it's SWAT, the unskilled gametype. However I just reached Onyx after 5 hours of grinding/playing. Feels good.

Last match was very intense for me.

Congrats! I know there are plenty of SWAT warriors out there so reaching Onyx is still quite a feat.

If you're having fun and and playing intense competitive matches, that's great. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. SWAT does take a lot of skill if you're playing with good players. Being able to have solid awareness, map control, and fast reaction time is what it takes to win and not everyone can do that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well except that then we would instead of buff the pistol we would have buff the BR discussion.

It's easier to get support for a stronger rifle than a stronger pistol. The only benefit the pistol aesthetic has is that it takes up less of the screen.

H5 mechanics just magnify all the problems that TS has in Halo. Also why competitive H5 Obj is so much better to watch. You can't just be a pussy and hide/run away all the time. The Rig & Plaza suck because of this.

The only maps that work well with TS are Coliseum & Eden. Potentially Truth, but haven't seen much of that at high levels. 

REQ Firefight was such a missed opportunity.

Would have been a lot more fun than Warzone. 

"Edited by Moa."

So are we gonna edit out all the negativity now? 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Your point? v7 settings were good times in Reach. 

Halo 5 with increased movement, no sprint/thrust, and a 4sk pistol would be amazing. (Once the fix the aiming, I hope) 

Edit: I seriously hate the settings parity the community has all of the sudden been all up in arms about. Fuck default settings if we can create better ones for competitive play. 

This.

Halo 3 was complete shit.  H5 is already better with the issues it has.  H3 had maps and thats it.

Haha.

I honestly don't think the AR is that big of a problem. For the most part, I've only played team arena and it gets you a kill here and there, especially when trying to capture/defend a stonghold, but thats really it. Its not like teams are running around ARs blazing.

I have not played much of anything else besides arena, but i can see it being a problem in FFA.

I thoroughly agree with you here. The AR seems to kill noticeably slower than the Magnum on average for me, as I get a lot more kills in cqc with the Magnum than I do the AR, and I enjoyed the 13sk H4 AR.

So, I did some testing in custom games with my roommate on his xbox in the lobby.

The H5 AR is a 9 shot to break shields, and either 6 bodyshots or 3 headshots on a shieldless enemy.

So that is either a 15sk with bodyshots, or 12sk with headshots.

The H4 turbo AR killed in 13 shots.

The H3 and H4 launch AR both killed in 16 shots.

The Reach AR killed in 19 shots.

The HCE AR also killed in 15 shots, but fired much faster with a lot less accuracy, similar to the H5 SMG.

The H5 SMG also kills in 15 bodyshots, but only kills in 13 headshots. Also 9 shots to break shields.

The H5 Storm Rifle kills in 7 shots either 3 to break shields and 4 to the body, or vice-versa but it was always 7sk with no headshot multipliers. Shots are slower moving projectiles.

The H5 Suppressor kills in 18 shots (no headshot multipliers), but it's projectiles track a little.

The H5 AR is the only AR with headshot multipliers, and also the only auto that has the spread reduction in Smart-Link, as well as the only auto with crouching removing recoil.

The H5 AR does kill noticeably slower than the SMG and Storm Rifle, and even at point blank full auto with headshots it seems to kill a tad slower than a perfect 5sk from the Magnum. It also doesn't have tracking projectiles like the Suppressor does.

Past close range, going full auto from the hip causes many missed shots(AKA even slower killtime), due to the fact that the AR now has much less aim assist and magnetism than past Halos. Full auto, its spread seems almost reminiscent of the HCE AR with how many shots don't connect at all.

You HAVE to burst fire with the H5 AR to make shots count, and if you pretend that it is a Carbine by rapidly firing semi-auto you can keep 100% of your shots perfectly straight and non-random while maintaining a much faster killtime than spraying ARs, but that killtime is still slower than the Magnum's by a noticeable degree. Burst-firing or Tap-firing semi-auto is very emphasized in this game.

However, all that is from the hip. The only way the AR can be even remotely effective by spraying mid-range is by zooming in.

Which I don't see as a big problem because why? Descope. If you face a scoping sprayer head on and ping him its not even a factor in the fight.

Sure it could maybe be a problem when getting shot in the back, but getting shot in the back always sucks anyway, and now you can just Thrust away to begin with.

The Magnum does kill faster for sure, and on average against competent players. I haven't played FFA yet.

What the AR has going for it to distinguish itself from the rest of the sandbox, is that it is the only auto that is both Hitscan and perfectly accurate (assuming that you burst or semi-auto). You still have to aim it, and it has one of the slowest killtimes to begin with.

It clearly was designed to be a loadout weapon. Currently, if removed from the spawn loadout and placed on maps, it has nothing that I would really pick it up for.

If anyone could actually get accurate killtimes for all of these to support or disprove my argument that would be great.

If there was any change to be made to the AR, I would make it zero spread/bloom, and increase the number of bullets to kill by just a few to compensate. I imagine it performing like Titanfall's XO16 Chaingun.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Man these weapon skins are just ugly. The fade skin isnt even a fade. Its a gross teal and brown. Honestly who thought these looked good?

"Edited by Moa."

Actually we're talking on Skype and I thought it'd be funny to edit out something. 

But sure, if you want to think that.

"Edited by Moa."

index.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Can somebody clear something up for me? How does connection work in this game? People are telling me there isn't ping in the game....

Whoever told you that, stop being friends with them to avoid being infected with stupid.

The game runs on dedicated servers. That means (theoretically) that if you connect to the same data center all the time, you will always have exactly the same ping.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Actually we're talking on Skype and I thought it'd be funny to edit out something. 

But sure, if you want to think that.

Stop making up lies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As for the thruster problem, we need maps with less hard cover. Seriously, it's like they're super padded with giant walls to make the players feel safe.

Look at Hang Em High. The top bridges have zero hard cover, and the bottom area is surrounded by soft cover that can easily be naded or shot at from above. Even so, the map plays extremely well.

We need more maps like the Rig, which is broken up pretty well. One of the reasons why it's such a good map for Strongholds is because it forces players into encounters when trying to cap areas. You can't simply pop shots and zip back into cover like with Empire, you have to put yourself in an unsafe situation where thrusting can't be used as a getaway.