CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I don't mind the aiming issues if I'm honest, just reprogramming that muscle memory will take time.

I think either the magnum needs a shorter TTK or the AR needs toning down, not both though.

I really think a 4sk magnum would solve a good amount of problems with just that one change.

I'm not going to sit here and lie and tell you it isn't fun to use thrusters to score the final cap while getting shot at.

I was a big supporter of thruster but I've realized its probably the worst thing in the game. So many fights just end with both people thrustering away. Cool game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I was a big supporter of thruster but I've realized its probably the worst thing in the game. So many fights just end with both people thrustering away. Cool game.

Oh its terrible from a classic Halo standpoint

4sk pistol would go a very long ways.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Halo 3 was utter garbage at launch. You can't compare post-launch balance patches to the launch settings of the game. Compare default Halo 5 to default Halo 3 and it's no contest that Halo 5 is better. Once the game has been out and we get some changes and balances in some patches then you can compare post-launch Halo 3 to Halo 5. Until then your comparison makes absolutely no sense.

We should be able to compare post patch titles to launch titles for sure. If anything, they should be held more liable for mistakes now that they have been through it so many times. You can't get too upset at a kid for spilling his drink but you can get upset over a grown up for spilling his drink, the grown up should know better and have the skills required not to spill anything. The people at 343 have been making games almost their whole lives and have other Halo games to draw from and experts on Halo they could have consulted with. 

Having this many features missing from a Halo game and other basic things that have been in every Halo game being either messed up or broken should not be thrown into "well, we just need to wait for the patch, everything will be good then". IMO

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

A lot of maps are built around it though.

Remove it, and maps suddenly because gigantic and extremely segmented because you suddenly can't do 30-40% of the jumps. People also starting sprinting more to run away. Right now people don't consider sprint because thrusters are the obvious better option, but you'd replace a problem with another by removing them. Then I'm sure we'd have to remove sprint too at some point. And since there would be no more sprint to delay shield recharge, it might be more balanced to increase the delay to 120-130%. Then all of a sudden the game feels slow so we're bumping up the run speed to 110-120%. And before we know it, it's an entirely different game.

Messing with the settings is an incredibly slippery slope. The thing we need is maps that prevent this type of stuff from being overpowered. 

Maps with proper segmentation: Truth, Coliseum, Pegasus

Maps with frustrating segmentation (TOO MANY CORNERS): Plaza, Orion, Rig

• Upvote (+1) 7

Remove it, and maps suddenly because gigantic and extremely segmented because you suddenly can't do 30-40% of the jumps. People also starting sprinting more to run away. Right now people don't consider sprint because thrusters are the obvious better option, but you'd replace a problem with another by removing them. Then I'm sure we'd have to remove sprint too at some point. And since there would be no more sprint to delay shield recharge, it might be more balanced to increase the delay to 120-130%. Then all of a sudden the game feels slow so we're bumping up the run speed to 110-120%. And before we know it, it's an entirely different game.

Messing with the settings is an incredibly slippery slope. The thing we need is maps that prevent this type of stuff from being overpowered. 

No thrust/Sprint but increased movement speed? Sign me up. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nothing like outplaying someone, getting the upper-hand only to watch them thrust behind a corridor. Disgusting.

• Upvote (+1) 4

lol at the BR/pistol conflict

Yet another thing they could've learned from Halo old-timers - if you slap a BR skin on top of the current pistol, that eliminates a huge chunk of the complaining.

Lol this is so true. I really like the pistol (should be 4sk) but its so damn dinky. Should have at least made it more like a hand cannon.

It's almost like the mic problems are becoming worst. When someone is spamming their mic with immature crap all game, almost half the time, there's no indicator on who's talking. When pressing back to look at the lobby, no one's mic icon shows that they're talking while the person I want to mute won't shut up. I shouldn't have to mute the whole party (if it works) or have to spend the time muting them individually to see who is is. I just played a game where two kids no older than 14 were arguing with each other on who had more friends and there was no way to see who it was. "You've never been to my school. Everyone knows me!" 343, fucking please.

I just played a game where two kids no older than 14 were arguing with each other on who had more friends and there was no way to see who it was. "You've never been to my school. Everyone knows me!" 343, fucking please.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

We should be able to compare post patch titles to launch titles for sure. If anything, they should be held more liable for mistakes now that they have been through it so many times. You can't get too upset at a kid for spilling his drink but you can get upset over a grown up for spilling his drink, the grown up should know better and have the skills required not to spill anything. The people at 343 have been making games almost their whole lives and have other Halo games to draw from and experts on Halo they could have consulted with. 

Having this many features missing from a Halo game and other basic things that have been in every Halo game being either messed up or broken should not be thrown into "well, we just need to wait for the patch, everything will be good then". IMO

I'd agree with you if we were talking H2 to H3, which bungie didn't learn much from at all either. But we are talking Halo 3 to a game that is trying to add many different gameplay aspects to the game. I'm not talking about features like forge, I'm strictly discussing gameplay. Forge, BTB, and the like should not have been missing day one and there's no excuse for that. But vanilla settings gameplay-wise, Halo 5 > Halo 3 by far. IMO ofc

I'd agree with you if we were talking H2 to H3, which bungie didn't learn much from at all either. But we are talking Halo 3 to a game that is trying to add many different gameplay aspects to the game. I'm not talking about features like forge, I'm strictly discussing gameplay. Forge, BTB, and the like should not have been missing day one and there's no excuse for that. But vanilla settings gameplay-wise, Halo 5 > Halo 3 by far. IMO ofc

What's important is that it is not arguably better than MLG Halo 3.

It's not necessarily worse, but it is not better. And that's the problem with Halo since H2 came out, after they all get shined up and buffed out, they're all basically the same game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Is it groundhog day yet?

Halo-_Reach_box_art.png

Your point? v7 settings were good times in Reach. 

Halo 5 with increased movement, no sprint/thrust, and a 4sk pistol would be amazing. (Once the fix the aiming, I hope) 

Edit: I seriously hate the settings parity the community has all of the sudden been all up in arms about. Fuck default settings if we can create better ones for competitive play. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Your point? v7 settings were good times in Reach. 

Halo 5 with increased movement, no sprint/thrust, and a 4sk pistol would be amazing. (Once the fix the aiming, I hope) 

Despite how much I appreciated v7, the point is that about 5% of the entire Halo community played MLG settings and maybe 20% (generous) cared about them. Mastering Reach MLG was not equivalent to mastering the entire game. You were pro at MLG settings, not pro at the game altogether. This led to a dwindling population, viewership and eventually the game was dropped altogether from competitive.

Right now, it's the opposite. If someone is pro at Halo 5, they'll dominate throughout the game, not just their own settings. Every single Halo player out there has to acknowledge the fact that if X dominates, they're just the best at it. Therefore we should aim to keep it this way.

An equivalent would be if I made my own bad ass settings with super strafe DMR starts, said the rules make it so you're only allowed to play on 10 sensitivity and claimed I was the best at it.

If you want to create a competitive scene, everyone needs to be able to relate to it and understand what's going on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Orion needs to be removed from Halo history immediately. 

Absolutely atrocious map with terrible sight lines.

Aesthetically unappealing as well.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Despite how much I appreciated v7, the point is that about 5% of the entire Halo community played MLG settings and maybe 20% (generous) cared about them. Mastering Reach MLG was not equivalent to mastering the entire game. You were pro at MLG settings, not pro at the game altogether. This led to a dwindling population, viewership and eventually the game was dropped altogether from competitive.

Right now, it's the opposite. If someone is pro at Halo 5, they'll dominate throughout the game, not just their own settings. Every single Halo player out there has to acknowledge the fact that if X dominates, they're just the best at it. Therefore we should aim to keep it this way.

An equivalent would be if I made my own bad ass settings with super strafe DMR starts, said the rules make it so you're only allowed to play on 10 sensitivity and claimed I was the best at it.

If you want to create a competitive scene, everyone needs to be able to relate to it and understand what's going on.

Casuals have not and will not ever watch Halo tournaments just because the settings are the same. They hate the entire idea of competitive Halo, they would just complain that the pistol is being used too much. You think if MLG kept default Halo 2, Halo 3, or Halo Reach's setting at default they would have done better? Quite the opposite. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Orion needs to be removed from Halo history immediately.

Absolutely atrocious map with terrible sight lines.

Aesthetically unappealing as well.

Don't remove it from history. Otherwise history will repeat itself because no one learned anything.

I want this map to live forever in our memories and in 343's, in infamy, so that nothing like it ever happens again.

Remember Orion.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think if you are used to playing on low sensitivities and have really smooth and slow aiming then this game feels pretty good for you, but if you were one of those higher sensitivity twitch based players then it feels pretty bad

I think if you are used to playing on low sensitivities and have really smooth and slow aiming then this game feels pretty good for you, but if you were one of those higher sensitivity twitch based players then it feels pretty bad

I play 10 sens in all games. Can confirm; H5 aiming feels like butt.