CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Hey, all!

:ghost:

Saw Josh posting about the aiming in Halo 5 in response to some of your questions and figured it'd be a good time to lend some insight. That being said, yes, the aiming did change a little bit from Beta up until now. During the Beta, close-range gameplay felt fluid, mid-range felt decent, and long-range felt flat-out squirrelly. So, our Pro Team went through numerous tests over the course of a few months with our lead sandbox designer, Chris King, and the rest of his team in regards to how our how aim felt leading up to the release. There were some days where our entire team despised it, other days where our team had a split-decision, and finally one day where we all felt extremely comfortable with it.

Now, to be fair, we've played this game for two years, so we do have a lot more time spent getting comfortable with the movement, as well as the weaponry. Nevertheless, like any other Halo player, we all know how good our shots are when it comes to a Halo utility weapon, and that day, we felt it. Thus, after careful tweaking, constant iteration, and daily discussion, we landed on our favorite fit. It gave players the perfect blend of sensitivity across all three ranges. Yes, close-range might feel a little bit harder to control at first, but in the long run, you will all learn to adjust to it for the better. Shooting the magnum in this game is very particular, seemingly like how Killer N or StK Tupac shot their pistols in Halo 1. At first, it's going to be tough, but it will get much better with practice. Even to this day, shooting a Halo 1 pistol up-close is extremely challenging though, right? ;)

Furthermore, since the game is running at 60FPS, and the mobility is so fast in-game, I want to reiterate that everyone of us needs to adjust to how the aim-adhesion will feel for Halo 5. It's a bit tricky at first - using a single-shot weapon to essentially swipe over an enemy as you pull the trigger feels different than before. Also, in the Halo 5: Guardians Beta, a bug slipped through the cracks that had a delayed aim-assist problem. You could swipe your reticle over an opponent, and the game would display Red Reticle, but it was after a 5ms delay. Thankfully, we were able to address that issue and fix it before launch. So now, everything should feel very smooth. Nonetheless, we are actively listening to feedback, and we are always welcome to change. So, if players do feel this strongly about the aim after a few weeks, our teams will without a doubt revisit the sensitivity curves in Halo 5.

Anyways, haven't had the chance to say it yet - hope everyone truly enjoys Halo 5 here! I know I haven't posted on these forums in quite some time, but I assure you that I'll be frequenting them much more now that the game has launched. So, as always, feel free to leave your unadulterated feedback below! 

-Ghost

I joined this forum just to quote ghost's post. The halo 5 beta was perfectly fluid close or long range and not to mention BR starts felt like the day of competitive halo 2 and you guys somehow decide pistol was the best option.....lol.....

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I think it's clear that 343 would rather be doing BTB/warzone stuff all day every day.

Especially since after Halo 5's first multiplayer trailer, 343 was all like "Oh man, we're SO focused on Arena guys!", but after the Beta, the promotional stuff was nothing but Warzone until launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

incoming "viewers dont matter" responses

(even though anyone with a brain knows that they do)

It makes the game better duh

/s

Just a quick one and maybe slightly off-topic (working ATM and havnt got around to my daily TB catchup), but i think the promethean grenades are a fantastic addition to the game. Using them like the CS molotov has been great.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just a quick one and maybe slightly off-topic (working ATM and havnt got around to my daily TB catchup), but i think the promethean grenades are a fantastic addition to the game. Using them like the CS molotov has been great.

They definitely add another layer of strategy by allowing you to cut off choke points when taking an objective. 

Does anyone believe that 343 is actually going to nerf ARs?

I feel like we're kidding ourselves here.

at least it's a thousand more times a possibility than the Sprint being removed so there's that 

The concept is cool, but I wish the "explosives" that float to block off a path were more clearly visible.

Does anyone believe that 343 is actually going to nerf ARs?

I feel like we're kidding ourselves here.

The AR balance has to be a difficult issue because you have to take into account other game modes. In Warzone the AR is far from too powerful, and I'd say it's actually just right. Maybe the solution is to change the AR in Arena only, but then that leads to a clarity issue. Another option could be to nerf the base AR, and make warzone starts a variant of the AR in it's current state so you know that it's not the same AR as in arena. Just some food for thought.

I still like most of the maps, truth, coliseum, fathom, Eden are the strongest ones, regret is ok, rig is only good for strongholds, empire is forgettable, plaza is ass.

The concept is cool, but I wish the "explosives" that float to block off a path were more clearly visible.

I'd say they're pretty visible. Haven't had trouble spotting them yet

I still like most of the maps, truth, coliseum, fathom, Eden are the strongest ones, regret is ok, rig is only good for strongholds, empire is forgettable, plaza is ass.

You left out the best map in the rotation though: Orion. This map has quickly become a classic.  :saucey:

• Upvote (+1) 1

They really need to throw unranked players in like gold and below games. It's almost a guaranteed loss when you get unranked players on your team, or a guaranteed person/people quitting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Side note about the aim sens thing- it levels the playing field, so stop crying r/Halo. What I mean is that if the aim mechanics were kept the same as older Halos then the kids who were good at H2/H3/H4 (hahhahaah H4) would dominate and new players wouldn't have a chance to rise up. Now that H5 aiming is new to everyone, there's more of a fair chance. So what if it's a little counter-intuitive? If you want the same goddamn thing every game iteration go play CoD you fucking scrubs.

Downvote me if you want, I'm gonna go have sex with a black girl now, Bernie Sanders 2016, PEACE."

Reddit is worse than I thought

• Upvote (+1) 4

"Side note about the aim sens thing- it levels the playing field, so stop crying r/Halo. What I mean is that if the aim mechanics were kept the same as older Halos then the kids who were good at H2/H3/H4 (hahhahaah H4) would dominate and new players wouldn't have a chance to rise up. Now that H5 aiming is new to everyone, there's more of a fair chance. So what if it's a little counter-intuitive? If you want the same goddamn thing every game iteration go play CoD you fucking scrubs.

Downvote me if you want, I'm gonna go have sex with a black girl now, Bernie Sanders 2016, PEACE."

Did he really say that last sentence? If so, he's trolling for reactions

IT'S LIT

YO @@Frederic_104 HE SAID HE'LL DESTROY YOU 1V1 LIVE ON TWITCH AND THEN STEAL YO GIRL FAM

WHAT YOU GON DO WIT IT?

Ain't gonna do notta. I'm bad at Halo, and I don't date, so he can have any of my left overs if he'd like. ;)

I feel like r/halo wants a game like we do but the way they want to execute kinda sucks

• Upvote (+1) 1

The AR balance has to be a difficult issue because you have to take into account other game modes. In Warzone the AR is far from too powerful, and I'd say it's actually just right. Maybe the solution is to change the AR in Arena only, but then that leads to a clarity issue. Another option could be to nerf the base AR, and make warzone starts a variant of the AR in it's current state so you know that it's not the same AR as in arena. Just some food for thought.

I find it hard to believe the AR will be kept in this state solely for Warzone. You hear practically every bad player praising the "weapon variety" and the "viable AR".

This gun has pretty much ruined competitive settings. No one bothers to use precision weapons in close fights, and it's all a toss up between who kept their reticle on the other person for an extra twentieth of a second. The only advantage this game has over Reach is precision weapons that shoot straight.

Pause every shot. They all should have missed.

You're looking at theater mode. Go watch back any of your games in theater and you'll see the same type of stuff with the reticle not being on the enemy.

Daniel Wiksten, Sandbox designer at 343:

bmagguy_zpsgvwhsulg.png

"If we're doing our job well, the player doesn't even know all this is even going on"

I don't think you did your job right.

Theater mode.

Can we please get breakout out of team arena, or at least give us an objective playlist.

Breakout will be there unless it is removed from competitive settings. Objective playlists have always performed poorly in Halo and it would be no different this time either.

I thought our rank was supposed to reset every new month? Or is it every 31-so days?

That doesn't start until December I think.

Okay I am happy as hell right now. I know, it's SWAT, the unskilled gametype. However I just reached Onyx after 5 hours of grinding/playing. Feels good.

Last match was very intense for me.

• Upvote (+1) 2