CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Daniel Wiksten, Sandobx designer at 343:

bmagguy_zpsgvwhsulg.png

"If we're doing our job right, the player doesn't even know all this is even happening"

Buddy, you're done.

You do know theatre mode is fucked up, right?

• Upvote (+1) 6

The game just clicked with me, and now I have fun in Arena.
The first few days I had a 5.something KDA, but I still felt like garbage. I don't know what changed, but now I've been feeling pretty good about my arena matches.

I wish they put some sense of actual development into spectator mode. Feels like they got it working and didn't feel a need to take it any further.

Sucks to see one of the most requested features just completely half assed, especially given 343s investment in the competitive scene (HCS, World Championship)

I wouldn't say I'm hopeful it'll ever get updated but I definitely think it's something they should prioritise before major events start to happen.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Anyone else think the rocket mary medal looks like a dick?  like especially at a glance when you get it?  I was like whoa dick medal.

Anyone else think the rocket mary medal looks like a dick?  like especially at a glance when you get it?  I was like whoa dick medal.

People have been exploiting the missile/rocket and grenade emblems as far as I can remember... Back in the final days of Halo 2, the scene devolved pretty badly, and I once got matched with players who all had a variation of... Um... Well you know. Every single one of them.

Anyone else think the rocket mary medal looks like a dick? like especially at a glance when you get it? I was like whoa dick medal.

I haven't seen the medal but I kind of hope it looks nothing like a dick so I can make the sitcom cliche joke of "you should probably see a doctor about that"

The Rig looks like a map that was ripped straight out of Call of Duty. And Regret... Good God, how the fuck did that map even make it pass the drawing board. Who needs sight lines though right? And I see it was still too much to ask for to have party of 4s match other party of 4s. Got shit on by the same party of 4 two games in a row. They had 2 in champion yet apparently the game felt it should match them up against me (Onyx ~1500) and my friend (Diamond II) two games in a row. And I'd like to understand how my friend and I get placed in different division when we played the same placement matches.

This game sucks playing solo, I just want to chill and learn the maps without playing Timy's MLG try hard team 5 games in a row.

I have so much more fun playing with a full team but it's hard to always have a full team on...

I REALLY hope this gets addressed but I have a feeling it's one of those things where we just need to 'put up with it'.

There are so many aspects of the game I love, but it's just getting harder to enjoy them when I'm getting stomped 50-10 playing solo.

I don't feel like it's a very social game in really any aspects except for warzone, I would love a playlist to just chill in and muck around on the normal slayer maps.

That's my issue with the game, and it's eventually going to push me away if it is not rectified. People don't always want to try their best, at all times. Things can feel too stressful to not look bad, while in Arena. Fail one too many times and your rank will suffer from it, and that's just not fun for everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

they want to sell us half the game and release the rest of it later as "free DLC". Upsetting to say the least.

Don't forget to pre-order Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I made it all the way to Champion 32 in Team Arena solo queue only so yes, it is possible to climb alone, but it's hard as hell.

Matching against to4s is bad for the ranking system in general. Yeah, it's cool watching pros play against each other, but the majority of games has a mediocre team of four crushing a team of decently skilled randoms. There are some really good players that I've seen in Diamond and Onyx while some horrible players are getting carried into the top 100 of Champion. The ranking system should be about skill, not party size.

I still firmly believe that the best way of ensuring a balanced ranking system without hurting search times is to limit Team Arena to max parties of 2. Works fine in League of Legends. All of the amateur and pro teams have plenty of resources to find scrims and there are weekly tournaments and ladders for Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 5

You do know theatre mode is fucked up, right?

Ah, good to hear. Glad that theatre is now all but useless.

I would kill to have traditional Halo maps again. These maps blow so hard.

it kills my enjoyment. We have maps like The Rig and Plaza in fucking Arena. It's damn near disrespectful as a fan of halo since 2001 that has seen what arena halo looks and plays like.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just read a tweet from bravid saying testing different ffa spawnss and player numbers. Why on earth are they would they make it 6 players assuming this is what they would test,I can imagine playing with 6 people on plaza would be incredibly slow and boring.

Ah, good to hear. Glad that theatre is now all but useless.

Yup. Like idk how they managed to fuck up theatre, but they did. Which really sucks because now I have to record while I'm playing if I want to capture any clips.

I just can't stand that effing KDA stat plastered all over my player profile in size 72 bolded font. Every game I'm constantly worried about what my stats look like and that if my KDA drops, people will judge me poorly. Sometimes I just want to go into MM alone and grind some Arena, but a voice in the back of my head is always saying "Have fun getting your stats shit on".

Get that shit out of here. K/D completely ruins the game and changes how people play. It encourages statting and sewering your team mates. 343 talks about H5 being a team game, and emphasiing team work, then posts a shallow, selfish stat on the front of everyone's service record for all to judge.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I hope we've all learned a valuable lesson about making assumptions based on pre-release footage about things like bullet magnetism and strafe. 

Who am I kidding, you'll all do the same shit come Halo 6. 

You've won days ago....lol....no more dirt on the graves plz. You won. We deserve fucking better from 343. Sigh....

• Upvote (+1) 3

I still firmly believe that the best way of ensuring a balanced ranking system without hurting search times is to limit Team Arena to max parties of 2. Works fine in League of Legends. All of the amateur and pro teams have plenty of resources to find scrims and there are weekly tournaments and ladders for Halo 5.

I hear Neptune has some killer winters man, might wanna come back to Earth for a bit.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I just can't stand that effing KDA stat plastered all over my player profile. Every game I'm constantly worried about what my stats look like and that if my KDa drops, people will judge me poorly.

Get that shit out of here. K/D completely ruins the game and changes how people play. It encourages statting and sewering your team mates.

This is why a point ratio would be best. If people see points, that will be what they'll want to work towards to have a better score. K/D, alone, pushes players to be exactly how you described it. K/D should be secondary to everything else.

I hear Neptune has some killer winters man, might wanna come back to Earth for a bit.

LoL has one of if not the best Ranking systems ever created. Halo should be striving for that level.

• Upvote (+1) 1

LoL has one of if not the best Ranking systems ever created. Halo should be striving for that level.

I was referring to the "max party size of 2" comment. Thats just ludicrous. Thats like saying "Sorry about your HIV, heres some cancer to kill you off before it turns into AIDS"