CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I am not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the last 4 shots in the magnum it starts making a clicking noise as if the clip is empty. it seems like my shots slow down right at that point.

I just tested this in a custom. I hear the clicking on the last three shots but it is a unique sound and not the same as the empty clip noise.

How do you figure they have a limited budget? Halo 4 sold over 8 million copies, generating a ton of money for 343, so it's hard to believe they would be limited at all financially. That and the fact they're backed by Micro$oft. As far as the Xbox One goes, there is zero excuse for it releasing with less features than the 360. Microsoft has all the money and resources in the world and the Xbox One could have been absolutely amazing day one if they wanted it to be.

They're trying to make money. Budgets for games like H5 are crazy high because they already expect the game to sell millions of copies but they have targets for how much revenue they're trying to make and they work within that. They aren't just dedicated to giving you some super nice game by spending shit loads and not making a massive profit or anything

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just to be clear I don't mean the aim smoothing. I mean this;

https://us.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3qsgeu/video_in_body_this_is_halo_5s_aiming_bug/

Bravo commented and said they are looking into it.

We need a fix for the bug linked above (unintentional), and a toggle for the variation in reticle movement rate across various zones of the stick input (intentional).

These are the two things creating the perfect storm of "the aiming feels like wet cardboard."

That's a big "IF". It looks worse than AW.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. I'm anything but addicted to Halo 5's multiplayer (not bashing it either--it's very serviceable IMO, better than Halo 4's no question, but not doing much for me in terms of sustained interest or being all that good outside of the Halo vacuum) but BLOPs 3 looks like de ja vu in the worst way. Viewer counts were high during beta and many streamers "praised" it though, so who knows.

What was it in because the guys reticle never turned red once, just like theater and spectator mode.

Xbox dvr right when it happened you can see when I stopped to hit record that on the xbox dvr.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're trying to make money. Budgets for games like H5 are crazy high because they already expect the game to sell millions of copies but they have targets for how much revenue they're trying to make and they work within that. They aren't just dedicated to giving you some super nice game by spending shit loads and not making a massive profit or anything

But if they were dedicated to giving us a super nice game, imagine how much more money they would make. I don't think that giving us a great UI like we had in Reach would break the bank. We should have a deeper UI than what we had in 2010, not a lesser one. At least let us see our friend's party details and game details such as how much time they have remaining in their game.

So I got a really cool looking DMR skin, but what playlist can I start out with that gun in? I haven't even seen it as an option in Warzone (maybe I don't have a card for it yet?)

So I got a really cool looking DMR skin, but what playlist can I start out with that gun in? I haven't even seen it as an option in Warzone (maybe I don't have a card for it yet?)

Warzone, you'll need to get DMR card first I believe.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But if they were dedicated to giving us a super nice game, imagine how much more money they would make. I don't think that giving us a great UI like we had in Reach would break the bank. We should have a deeper UI than what we had in 2010, not a lesser one. At least let us see our friend's party details and game details such as how much time they have remaining in their game.

Do you honestly think companies don't have budgets for their projects?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Warzone, you'll need to get DMR card first I believe.

Damn ok that makes sense, gotta open more packs then for that DMR card. Hoping that will drop in a bronze or Silver pack

How do you figure they have a limited budget? Halo 4 sold over 8 million copies, generating a ton of money for 343, so it's hard to believe they would be limited at all financially. That and the fact they're backed by Micro$oft. As far as the Xbox One goes, there is zero excuse for it releasing with less features than the 360. Microsoft has all the money and resources in the world and the Xbox One could have been absolutely amazing day one if they wanted it to be.

Their budget allocation probably comes down to what goal Microsoft sets for its Net Margin (actually, NPV or IRR is more likely, but I'll use Net Margin to simplify things here). Also, their budget before the game depends on what their sales forecast prior to project start suggests, but as we don't have access to that, we'll work with the post release figures.

Now if they sold 8 mil copies, and we'll average the price at $45 (because a lot of their sales were at discount prices after all), they'd have around $360 mil in revenue.Let's also assume that their marketing campaign costs around the ballpark of $100 mil, consistent with previous Halo releases. Also, Microsoft is taxed at the maximum corporate rate, so their after tax multiplier is .61%. Let's say their aiming for a Net Margin of 20% now. This yeilds the following formula.

(360 -- 100 - X * .61) / 360 = .20    Solving for X would yield their allocated budget at that target goal. In this scenario, their budget would be around $141 mil.

Now the big thing to take away from all of this is that the Net Proceeds from the game do not belong to 343i, they belong to Microsoft, a corporation that has very real expectations of profitability. If all the proceeds were to be allocated to 343 Studios, then the project would not be making Microsoft money, as it would only be Breaking Even.

TL;DR: The studio has budgets. Deal with it.

I wish I could at least have a honeymoon with this game. This lag is crazy and I don't know if it's my ISP or the servers. I've tried everything I could think of and everything I could find on google.

Right now I'm using my phone as a hotspot so I can actually play. Time Warner is telling customers its just Microsoft's servers being overloaded but I don't understand how I can play fine using cell towers while my 50 mbps broadband connection is unplayable.

Luckily I am moving next month and getting a new ISP as it seems neither company wants to address this issue.

I'm glad that I am not the only one who thinks that aiming in this game is clunky/awkward. It feels as if I'm playing with slow turn, and it is incredibly frustrating. This games population is going to dive pretty hard in the upcoming weeks. Players are forced into playing (terrible) maps as well as breakout because there is not voting system. Doing away with the voting system is akin to 343 saying, "We know what's best for you. You will play this gametype on this map, and you will like it." So now, I'm stuck playing a game with broken aiming mechanics on a map that may or may not be terrible.

Players tend to gravitate towards and party up with players who share the same gametype and map preferences. The beauty of having a party of 4 in previous Halos was that you at least knew you would have a good chance of playing on maps that you enjoy.

Theater is broken and there is no forge upon release. It comes down to 343 being an incompetent developer. Halo 3 was released in 2007 by Bungie and had a WAY better theater than anything 343 has produced. Halo Reach was released in 2010 by Bungie and upon release had the best forge we have seen to date. Halo 5 has the worst aiming mechanics of any Halo to date, broken theater, and no forge. Plus a lot of people are not happy with no BR starts.

If Black Ops 3 doesn't suck, then Halo 5s population is going to quickly go downhill.

Yep, 343 are just bad developers when it comes down to it honestly.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I wish I could at least have a honeymoon with this game. This lag is crazy and I don't know if it's my ISP or the servers. I've tried everything I could think of and everything I could find on google.

Right now I'm using my phone as a hotspot so I can actually play. Time Warner is telling customers its just Microsoft's servers being overloaded but I don't understand how I can play fine using cell towers while my 50 mbps broadband connection is unplayable.

Luckily I am moving next month and getting a new ISP as it seems neither company wants to address this issue.

How close are you to Virginia? That's the only time I lag horribly is when I'm on that dedi server.

Run the "Detailed network statistics" in the Network section of the Settings and report back while on Time Warner.

Getting any packet loss, low up/down and what's your MTU?

Also you wireless?

• Upvote (+1) 1

This whole less auto aim is meaningless when the reticule doesn't even have to be red or even near their head for you to hit them because of the massive magnetism.

You seriously using somebody who is already one shot and not even strafing as an example? Technically if you slow down the video, you can see he did make contact with the ridicule. Now fuck yea that was a lot of magnetism right there but this video is kind of a joke to use as an example. Now had he 5ed the dude while missing and getting out strafed then you have a point. In fact all I saw was somebody who couldn't hit his shots. I'm sorry but high magnetism and low aim assist shits on Halo 2 disgustingly easy gun play, but somehow that game was competitive, right?

I hate to point out the obvious but this is a console shooter and while were sitting here bickering over magnetism and bleh bleh, Point still stands it takes a steady hand to land shots on this game. Casuals are liking it and a lot of us here are. This is the most I have ever seen the two sides agree on something.

I can't believe I have to say this but making the game boarder line impossible to shoot in and land shots isn't going to appeal to anyone except for us. We're not in the position to have CE 2 at the moment. We're not, we simply and tragically are not. I could guarantee if we had A CE clone next, stamped Halo 6 on the front of the box, yeah it would sell, I am not saying that it wouldn't. But the amount of ignorant people who have no idea what CE is about would play and the population would take a big nose dive. Sorry, but that's the nature of the beast. Halo CE is great but not what this community needs right now. 

What we do have right now though, is a good baseline for a bright future  We have a good utility weapon with range and a high learning curve that people are enjoying. Nice movement. Interesting gunplay, the list goes on. You know how big of a deal it is to a lot of casuals who want to get in on comp Halo that couldn't stand just BR gameplay? We have people using the pistol, and the BR, or the DMR, or the light rifle. A little bit of AR/SMG action.

And I am not saying this game is the flagship standard of competitive Halo at it's highest tier at all. Make no mistakes. But this game is a very very good successor to Halo 2, it is competitive, and playing the game out of the box is what we have needed for so long. To deny the possibility of growth is mind boggling. I'm not going to sit here and white knight 343. I think they're still shady as fuck and I wish they would talk with us more.

But the fact we have HCS and the structure of Halo 5's gameplay not only shows me they're making a game for casual fun, but also putting legitimate effort at growing our scene and making the gameplay reflect competitive play. They're not going out of the way for Grifball. They're not talking about machinima features. They barely touch on lore. Not sucking on HaloFollowers MUCH BIGGER fanbase ( sad but true ). They're supporting us, Beyond.

They're scratching our backs, and we should do them a favor and scratch theirs for all that they're doing. We have a 1 mil tourney coming up and instead of realizing what this game has to offer we're bitching about something that is less flawed than a lot of shit in H2 and H3 were. 

Now if you seriously don't care about growth and want a CE 2 that bad so that all 400 of us will play it, fine. That's your opinion and your own priority. More power too you. 

But a lot of us just want to compete and have events for good times and we have the best out of the box game that we probably can realistically have right now. Sorry and maybe my opinion may not be the most popular among the CE scientist/purist and big names in this community, but at least it's based on an educated foundation considering the state this community has been in the past 5 years and the reality of Halo's future audience. We have no control over who plays Halo in the future. At most we can let them know Halo is loved competitively and to keep it's legacy of professional play alive. 

TL;DR: Games fine, it's competitive, it's fun, quit nip picking. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 3

It is Time Warner. During peak hours/whatever everyone I've raided with for over a year that uses Time Warner has to use a VPN to get a different route to the WoW servers. They're just garbage. If it was just Microsoft servers we'd all be lagging but we aren't. They experience wild congestion of some sort all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How close are you to Virginia? That's the only time I lag horribly is when I'm on that dedi server.

I'm in northwest Ohio. Seems like a couple games will be ok after I reset my modem or Xbox then lag after that but who knows.

Run the "Detailed network statistics" in the Network section of the Settings and report back while on Time Warner.

Getting any packet loss, low up/down and what's your MTU?

Also you wireless?

I'll check this when I get home. Whats MTU?

I am wired right now. Xbox is on static IP with port forwarding, UPuP disables and a few other options I've messed with. Tried directly plugging into the modem and also using a brand new modem.

As a software developer i can answer this. Halo 5 was rewritten from scratch, with a completely new engine built for 60FPS and for a brand new hardware. And this time it was all done in-house without outsourcing. Probably a lot of the development time was spent creating the engine. Therefore, features from previous games can not simply be copied and pasted into Halo 5's code. Everything has to be rewritten, which takes time and money. Probably they did the best they could within the deadline set by Microsoft for the game's release. Halo 6 should have more features out of the box, because the engine is ready. It might be adapted in some points, but the bulk has been done. So if you think the game has fewer features than it should have at launch, blame Microsoft, not 343. Game developers (and software in general) always work under a lot of pressure from publishers. They have a limited budget (yes, limited), limited human resources and a deadline to meet, and they must have the job done.They have far less autonomy in decisions that are made during the development, than most here seems to believe. So, ideas like: "if Halo X had the feature Y, years ago, there is no reason for Halo 5 not have the same feature at launch", are completely nonsense. Things don't work this way in the software development world. Everything costs money, time and resources. That's why the Xbox One was initially released without many of the features the Xbox 360 had for years. It was a brand new system with a brand new OS written from scratch

I'm pretty sure you work for 343's Excuse Department :kappa:

The direction of the Halo franchise once it left Bungie's hands is the same direction that Enron's stock took in the 2000's. 

Hyperbole much brah? Enron's stock took off because of them cooking their books (over simplification here). While their Price to Earnings ration was within the norm for successful companies at the time, their earnings were actually false, resulting in the price of the stock being so grossly inflated its criminal. The top brass got out with a Golden Parachute, while all the other suckers lost their investment. Again, I'm over simplifying things here, but the point is, comparing 343 to Enron is completely  off. Way off.

You seriously using somebody who is already one shot and not even strafing as an example? Technically if you slow down the video, you can see he did make contact with the ridicule. Now fuck yea that was a lot of magnetism right there but this video is kind of a joke to use as an example. Now had he 5ed the dude while missing and getting out strafed then you have a point. In fact all I saw was somebody who couldn't hit his shots. I'm sorry but high magnetism and low aim assist shits on Halo 2 disgustingly easy gun play, but somehow that game was competitive, right?

I hate to point out the obvious but this is a console shooter and while were sitting here bickering over magnetism and bleh bleh, Point still stands it takes a steady hand to land shots on this game. Casuals are liking it and a lot of us here are. This is the most I have ever seen the two sides agree on something.

I can't believe I have to say this but making the game boarder line impossible to shoot in and land shots isn't going to appeal to anyone except for us. We're not in the position to have CE 2 at the moment. We're not, we simply and tragically are not. I could guarantee if we had A CE clone next, stamped Halo 6 on the front of the box, yeah it would sell, I am not saying that it wouldn't. But the amount of ignorant people who have no idea what CE is about would play and the population would take a big nose dive. Sorry, but that's the nature of the beast. Halo CE is great but not what this community needs right now. 

What we do have right not though, is a good baseline for a bright future  We have a good utility weapon with range and a high learning curve that people are enjoying. Nice movement. Interesting gunplay, the list goes on. You know how big of a deal it is to a lot of casuals who want to get in on comp Halo that couldn't stand just BR gameplay? We have people using the pistol, and the BR, or the DMR, or the light rifle. A little bit of AR/SMG action.

And I am not saying this game is the flagship standard of competitive Halo at it's highest tier at all. Make no mistakes. But this game is a very very good successor to Halo 2, it is competitive, and playing the game out of the box is what we have needed for so long. To deny the possibility of growth is mind boggling. I'm not going to sit here and white knight 343. I think they're still shady as fuck and I wish they would talk with us more.

But the fact we have HCS and the structure of Halo 5's gameplay not only shows me they're making a game for casual fun, but also putting legitimate effort at growing our scene and making the gameplay reflect competitive play. They're not going out of the way for Grifball. They're not talking about machinima features. They barely touch on lore.

They're scratching our backs, and we should do them a favor and scratch theirs for all that they're doing. We have a 1 mil tourney coming up and instead of realizing what this game has to offer we're bitching about something that is less flawed than a lot of shit in H2 and H3 were. 

Now if you seriously don't care about growth and want a CE 2 that bad so that all 400 of us will play it, fine. That's your opinion and your own priority. More power too you. 

But a lot of us just want to compete and have events for good times and we have the best out of the box game that we probably can realistically have right now. Sorry and maybe my opinion may not be the most popular among the CE scientist/purist and big names in this community, but at least it's based on an educated foundation considering the state this community has been in the past 5 years and the reality of Halo's future audience. We have no control over who plays Halo in the future. At most we can let them know Halo is loved competitively and to keep it's legacy of professional play alive. 

TL;DR: Games fine, it's competitive, it's fun, quit nip picking. 

Not even gonna read all of it because of the first two sentences. If you actually slowed it down when I shot, the whole reticule was about an inch above his head. Also, whats making contact with the reticule have anything to do with? He didn't make contact when I shot. The magnetism takes away skill from shooting since you can completely miss and still hit them. 

Rlsn4Hg.png

• Downvote (-1) 2