CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

@@Cursed Lemon

You have a strong negative opinion about something you haven't played? I'm shocked.

As someone who is currently playing, I'd say the feel of aiming has suffered as compared to the beta.

Most of us have developed strong opinions about how which style of thumbstick-to-aim responsiveness we prefer. You don't need to play Halo 5 to be able to say "X-style of aiming is better than Y-style."

Do you know off the top of your head what changed between the Beta and this build of the game with regards to how the aim feels? I just remember really enjoying the feel of the aim in the Beta.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So I played well over 10 swat games last night and never got placed.  Games weren't registering.  I'd go into a game having 3 games left.  Finish the game, and still have three games left. Just MCC things.................................................................................... Sigh

Is Breakout going to be the new competitive scene for Halo or will Halo stick to the old ways of TS, Flag, Hill and Ball or maybe have both? (unlikely on both)

Breakout was easily the most fun part of the beta - still haven't played since it released on Monday though.

Is Breakout going to be the new competitive scene for Halo or will Halo stick to the old ways of TS, Flag, Hill and Ball or maybe have both? (unlikely on both)

Breakout was easily the most fun part of the beta - still haven't played since it released on Monday though.

IIRC they're going to try out breakout as a few gametypes in rotation and see how it goes.

In regards to the weird aim acceleration topic, I felt it immediately the first night.  By game three I wasn't sure if I needed to turn my sensitivity up or down.  So I tested it out a bit and played on 5 the rest of the night.  Then last night, I did nothing but solo swat playlist since my friends abandoned me and was having a really hard time with the aiming acceleration/reticle momentum. 

I played a lot of game at sensitivity 5 and was not doing so well so I decided to move it back down to 3.   Going from the 5 to 3 greatly helped me with the issue.  I started playing a lot better when I did this.    I'm not sure if that means I'll need to play a couple of practice/warm up games each night on like 6 or 7 sensitivity and then lower it down to 3 or 4, or if I should just always play at 3 or 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else sad that a lot of the classic emblems are missing? New emblems seem generic and lame... Feel like the "generic and lame" complaint is thrown around a lot nowadays in halo :/

I miss the old emblem customization.

• Upvote (+1) 8

ATTENTION!

For those of you wondering why the aiming is different.

"No, the Halo 5 ST found equal horizontal and vertical sensitivity. The problem is definitely a velocity jump and time based acceleration. The velocity jump is new to Halo." - XIM4 creator.

So apparently the aim acceleration is the issue and there is a velocity jump added into the aiming which is new.

Source please

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys - sorry I've been lurking and not posting for the past week. As you can imagine we have a ton going on right now. :) We are monitoring the game 24-7 and constantly deploying little updates to improve service performance and resolve fires as they come up.

On aiming, all I can say is this game takes a while to hone in on your shot because there is a lot less aim assist. The acceleration feel some of you are commenting on is related to that. We've done significant tuning on the sticks since beta working directly with the pro team. They can speak for themselves but I believe a quote from Ghost after the final pass was "OMFG the aiming feels so good, the sticks are magic now." Take that for what it's worth and spend the time to master your shot. It takes time.

We've had a few isolated reports of occasional spikes in latency. We have been experiencing significant server load during peak times but beyond that we are still investigating. From the reports we've seen this is very rare, which makes it tough to track.

Glad to see people enjoying the game. I've been checking out a ton of streams while monitoring things and there are some great games going on at the Onyx/Champion level. So much fun to watch!

I don't think the problem is aim assist with the weapons, its just in general aiming is sluggish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ATTENTION!

For those of you wondering why the aiming is different.

"No, the Halo 5 ST found equal horizontal and vertical sensitivity. The problem is definitely a velocity jump and time based acceleration. The velocity jump is new to Halo." - XIM4 creator.

http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=42414.0

So apparently the aim acceleration is the issue and there is a velocity jump added into the aiming which is new.

Thanks, glad the XIM squad was able to look into that.

IIRC they're going to try out breakout as a few gametypes in rotation and see how it goes.

Seems kind of odd to me. I'm not sure how I'd play coming from infinite spawns to only one life per round.

@@Sal1ent

Any comment on a possible sniper nerf? This game, as great as it is, needs it

This.... Really not enjoying the snipe in this game. Feels super clunky too.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On aiming, all I can say is this game takes a while to hone in on your shot because there is a lot less aim assist. The acceleration feel some of you are commenting on is related to that. 

My reaction when I realized that Josh Holmes basically just told us to "Git Gud":

dc41.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

Anyone else sad that a lot of the classic emblems are missing? New emblems seem generic and lame... Feel like the "generic and lame" complaint is thrown around a lot nowadays in halo :/

I miss the old emblem customization.

Definitely, its stupid we have to unlock emblems so we can be unique.

On Waypoint, they're like "thanks for highlighting the aiming issue, our team is looking into it!"

Your team made the change on purpose, you turds.

If they actually do fix it back to the beta that would be amazing. Well beyond what I expect them to do, but I can dream.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Aiming issues are not just a function of not being used to low aim assist.

1. Load up H1/2 on the MCC and play with the aim.

2. Switch to H5 and do the same thing.

The way the reticule itself moves in response to player input feels sorta off. It has kind of a similar feel to H3. The best way I can think of to describe it is that it seems like as you move the thumb sticks faster the amount your reticule moves changes disproportionally. Like it's as if at low levels of thumbstick movement speed the amount of reticule movement that occurs per micrometer or whatever the thumbstick is moved is at one value, while when thumbstick movement is high that value changes, creating an effect where turns and fast movements are exaggerated. Or something like that at least. I'm not sure I can quantify it yet. It's an issue that feels somewhat different from the one H3 had.

I'm sure the pro team has adjusted by now just like people did for H3 but it's not intuitive and makes precision aiming unnecessarily clunky.

Solution to all this is just to provide us with an aim acceleration slider just like murder miners has.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If they actually do fix it back to the beta that would be amazing. Well beyond what I expect them to do, but I can dream.

and go against their pro team's opinions that this is the best feeling aiming mechanics they've seen? 

• Upvote (+1) 2