CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Is it really hard to rank up or???? I just won twice in a row and am stuck

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I went from Champion 177 to Onyx 1517 after one loss. This makes 0 sense.

Not at all. Let's say (you) Champion #177 have 1550 Rating and #Champion 200 has 1520. If you lose to someone in Diamond or Platinum, you might drop below 1520, and therefore will no longer be Champion. It all has do do with the threshold of Champion #200's rating.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Is it really hard to rank up or???? I just won twice in a row and am stuck

It is based on who you are beating and what your teammates ranks are. If you are beating Platinum's when you are Diamond/Onyx you won't be ranking up a lot.

Takeaways of the night (OPINIONS)

- FFA is a clusterfuck (needs to be lowered to 6 players)

- Arena forge maps SUCK

- 343 arena maps all look the same. TO MUCH GREY

- Aiming is just weird. Feels like im fighting my controller.

- Spawns are wack. Especially in FFA.

- Just me or is there a severe lack of power positions?

- Only decent map is Colosseum. Everything else has way to much clutter.

On the aiming part, everyone saying the Elite Controller having slow got me thinking, when I loaded the game up for the first time the aiming felt like I was dragging my recticle through the mud. Moving the right stick feels no where near as smooth as H2A did. Whatever stick tuning 343 did messed up the aiming because I don't remember it being a beta problem.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idk if this tip really matters to any of you guys here...but in pistol vs Pistol fights or rifle vs pistol fights, traditional strafing and jumping when you're one shot goes a lot further than anything else.

Often times I would try to strafe, jump, crouch, then thrust and it threw me off more than anything.

Definitely win more fights when I just keep it simple and quick strafe then jump once. Even though strafing isn't as quick in this game, the lack of auto aim really fucks people up, especially when they have the pistol.

Man... uh.. if you scroll down on the blogpost I linked, you can see the graphs for yourself. The guy actually measured it. They're really not that different.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the perceived difference in H3 and the games after has more to do with the difference between original Xbox controller and 360/Xbone controller as far as deadzones. Otherwise, the data does not show a software difference.

But I'm comparing Halo 1 and 3 on MCC with the Xbox One controller and you can feel the difference... It's not the controller.

And yes, I've seen that blog post before. There's more that goes into controls then just the raw aim acceleration maths - If his study is indeed accurate. I'm going to assume the blog is accurate, however you should also remember that it could be completely wrong as there's nothing to fact check it against.

You also have things like horizontal sens vs vertical sens, input delay and also how many degrees off axis you can turn while still having aim acceleration active. For example, if I aim diagonally or start looking up while turning, etc.

At the end of the day, the controls in Halo 3 suck and the controls in Halo 5 suck. The controls of Halo 3 completely ruined my experience of the game. For me Halo Reach is better than Halo 3 purely because of how awful the controls in Halo 3 are.

I'm certain the controls in the beta felt better. My hatred of Halo 3's controls meant controls were the very first thing I paid close attention to when playing the beta.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Also how hard is it to get a pistol skin? I haven't gotten anything.

There are 5 Magnum skins I believe.

1 uncommon, 2 rare, 1 ultra rare, and 1 Legendary.

Each Gold REQ pack guarantees 2 permanent items, but that could be out of the HUNDREDS of permanent REQs such as Weapon/Vehicle certifications, Armor, Helmets, Emblems, Stances, Assassinations, etc. 

IIRC there are 901 Permanent REQs so without weighting it's pretty rare. I've seen a lot of people with skins though so it's probably pretty common in the pool. I've probably opened 5-10 non-promotional packs and I received one Ultra Rare SMG and thats it.

There are 5 Magnum skins I believe.

1 uncommon, 2 rare, 1 ultra rare, and 1 Legendary.

Each Gold REQ pack guarantees 2 permanent items, but that could be out of the HUNDREDS of permanent REQs such as Weapon/Vehicle certifications, Armor, Helmets, Emblems, Stances, Assassinations, etc.

IIRC there are 901 Permanent REQs so without weighting it's pretty rare. I've seen a lot of people with skins though so it's probably pretty common in the pool. I've probably opened 5-10 non-promotional packs and I received one Ultra Rare SMG and thats it.

Thanks. I've opened a few gold packs and got a cool visor and an AR skin and that's it. Is there an easy way to grind Req? I get like 700 or so every arena match + I sell all my weapon cards.

I can already feel the addiction of collecting REQ like I did in Reach when I saved up for all of the armor effects.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really enjoying the game so far, but I have to say, it reminds me of Halo 3. In that there are lots of little issues that are going to drive me crazy as this game ages.

It has probably my least favorite Sniper Rifle in the series. It still feels really clunky because of how the Smart-Link system interferes with YY-ing.

@@Sal1ent is there a reason why there's no mic icons for your fireteam? I can't tell who's talking or even who has a mic plugged in.

It's the little things like these that make the experience. 

I can't go in with a party of less than 4 without getting matched with people in their placement matches on my team... That is the most frustrating shit in the world.

3 games in a row where I get people who end the game with 0 kills or just aren't playing. How does the ranking system not know to match me with people that have thumbs?

Does this happen in arena? I haven't noticed anything like it. I have noticed frame rate drops in War zone once more and more vehicles start getting called in.

Been happening to me far to often and is so annoying. I havent seen anyone else complain about it happening in Arena though, is my box fucked or something?

OH COME THE FUCK ON 343. RANK RESETS ARE A THING?!?!?! SERIOUSLY?!

EDIT: Okay apparently some other people are having the same issue. Anyway to fix it or do I have to start over? That's some BS if I have to get my champion and onyxes back.

Oh my god what is Orion supposed to be. I didn't really know the map earlier so I wasn't sure but after playing it god knows how many times afterwards its potentially the worst map I've played in a LONG time

I've been stuck at 9 games played on my rank. I need one more to get put in a division, but after every game it still says 9. I've won like 7 in a row now and I'm still not in a division. Anyone having this issue?

Yeah Orion is a 99% campfest.

The damage boost is in too vulnerable a spot to be worth it. Should be replaced with an OS instead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dang, matching with parties does make a giant difference

10 games solo in Slayer, got Plat 1
10 games with team of four in Team Arena, Onyx

that really shouldn't be allowed, I know that we matched against solo players as that team, and it affects ranks in a big way

Teams of 4 will never just match just teams of 4 and solo players will match teams of 4 with 343. They don't give a fuck lol. They already made all their money

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The presentation of this game feels very hollow. There's so much less to do than there typically is in a Halo game off launch. There's no such thing as casual competitive Halo anymore- the only two options are ranked arena and warzone (which does not fill the BTB void whatsoever). This game needs a BTB experience complete with original maps, a social unranked playlist with a bit of gametype variety, and Forge (which I know is coming, it just should have been in at launch). It's like in chasing the competitive crowd, 343 totally took out that fun social kind of gameplay you used to be able to get in Halo.

I'm having fun playing the game, I'm just thinking long term about this game and placing it in the context of the other Halos.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay, I played a game and I saw my division rank thing go up so it looks like its still there but im back in the lobby and still says I need to qualify for everything.

Well, been playing non-stop for the past "few" hours (7 hour campaign binge on solo Legendary, then 4 hours in Arena/Warzone). All I can say is, holy crap this game is INSANELY fun. LOVE the Magnum, and have quickly grown accustomed to it, whilst utterly destroying other teams. I'm enjoying the game a helluva lot more than any previous Halo, bar CE. Also learned my lesson on blowing REQ points on Bronze and Silver packs in the pursuit of armor and skins, etc. Don't do it. Finally, managed to get Diamond 1 for my first playlist as well. Today was a good day. ^_^

• Upvote (+1) 6