CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Sorry if this has been asked several times but is it possible to de-rank down a tier? I've lost 7 straight at Platinum 1, and haven't fallen to Gold 6.

Nope, and I don't really see why considering ranks are resetting every month anyway.

Yes, but they all work differently. Some kick in very fast, others kick in after a longer delay, some have a high max turn speed, etc, etc.

The aim acceleration in Halo 1 was very gentle. It had a high max speed (You can test by just looking level and spinning around in circles and it took longer to kick in.

In Halo 5 it feels like the aim acceleration kicks is far too quickly and the curve is far too steep.

It's hard to know exactly what's causing the sluggish aim without looking at the code or seeing the actual maths, but based on my test between Halo 1 and Halo 5 the aim acceleration is really really crappy. There also seems to be a slight input delay compared to H1 as well which makes it even worse.

Man... uh.. if you scroll down on the blogpost I linked, you can see the graphs for yourself. The guy actually measured it. They're really not that different.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the perceived difference in H3 and the games after has more to do with the difference between original Xbox controller and 360/Xbone controller as far as deadzones. Otherwise, the data does not show a software difference.

EDIT: Actually, I realized this data is gathered with the setting at 100% stick deflection. (http://drstrangevolt.blogspot.com/2012/12/aim-acceleration-in-console-shooters-part1.html)

It is possible that Halo 1 has a different rate of change for stick deflection than Halo 3 does. For example, if Halo 3 considered 80% stick deflection to be the same as 100%. Or, more likely, if Halo 3 just curved up to that 100% turn rate quicker than Halo 1 did. Both of these would create the sensation of "jerkier" turning, even though the max-deflection turn rate was the same.

Measuring Aim Acceleration

To investigate how aim smoothing is implemented in some of the more popular console FPS titles, we can simulate a basic thumbstick movement and observe the reticle rotation over time. I say simulate because, rather than attempting to manually replicate a predefined stick movement, we can use the controller hack discussed in theprevious blog entries to directly synthesize the stick voltage. This approach provides precise control of the aiming signal seen by the console with near perfect repeatability.  

hmm just "quit the build" and i lost all my ranks in arena... and all my req points ? dafuq 343 ?

They didn't reset. Servers are just getting hit hard

I've been hitting "y" and it's been the best for me. Tried "Lt", but it only works if you have nades, and you end up nading yourself/teammates lol

Yeah I tried LT, that was not a good choice Hahaha. Ok thanks dude, I'll try that :)

Had to work last night during the release (overnights at a fast food place) and was working drive through. A guy came through around 12:30 with him driving, his copy of Halo 5 sitting in his passenger seat with his girlfriend sitting in his backseat. That man has his priorities in order.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I realize this post was confusing. What I'm trying to say is, there are three possible numbers to look at as far as aim acceleration:

1) Maximum turning speed (the fastest you can turn on a given sensitivity) -- in degrees/second.

2) Maximum turning acceleration (how fast the turn speeds up when you have the stick pushed all the way to the edge) -- in added degrees/second every second. (In calculus terms, this is the derivative.)

3) The change in turning acceleration as you move the stick further. So, as you move the stick from center to the edge, how much your acceleration changes. (this would be the second derivative)

The data and graphs on this site show that numbers 1) and 2) are practically identical for pretty much every Halo game up through H4. However, number 3) is not measured.

Man... uh.. if you scroll down on the blogpost I linked, you can see the graphs for yourself. The guy actually measured it. They're really not that different.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the perceived difference in H3 and the games after has more to do with the difference between original Xbox controller and 360/Xbone controller as far as deadzones. Otherwise, the data does not show a software difference.

EDIT: Actually, I realized this data is gathered with the setting at 100% stick deflection. (http://drstrangevolt.blogspot.com/2012/12/aim-acceleration-in-console-shooters-part1.html)

It is possible that Halo 1 has a different rate of change for stick deflection than Halo 3 does. For example, if Halo 3 considered 80% stick deflection to be the same as 100%. Or, more likely, if Halo 3 just curved up to that 100% turn rate quicker than Halo 1 did. Both of these would create the sensation of "jerkier" turning, even though the max-deflection turn rate was the same.

Sad to say, but after playing through Mission 1-6, Im not really feeling Halo 5's campaign. It honestly feels like, so far, 343 didnt really think of much outside of just placing the players in a circular arena, and then throw wave after wave of enemies at them. It feels more like Firefight rounds with a brief intermission for the story, than a Halo campaign. The boss fight was cool though.

Sad to say, but after playing through Mission 1-6, Im not really feeling Halo 5's campaign. It honestly feels like, so far, 343 didnt really think of much outside of just placing the players in a circular arena, and then throw wave after wave of enemies at them. It feels more like Firefight rounds with a brief intermission for the story, than a Halo campaign. The boss fight was cool though.

I'm on mission 7 and it feels like I should have read a book to go along with this or something. ODST and Reach felt a lot more like one big firefight to me than H5 though.

I thought you were not supposed to rank down???? I've ranked down twice????

There are none.

I'm pretty sure they said although no in gameleaderboards for top 200, there will be one available on their site, but who knows.

Anybody else getting a lot of quitters so far? I've been having people quit not long after the games start and I'm not sure if people are really quitting just moments into the game, or if they're getting disconnected. On the other hand, it is pretty satisfying to win a 2v4.

Can geniunely say im VERY happy with this halo, the release was flawless besides the download taking my friends forever to get on and costing me a few qualification games.

I went from Champion 177 to Onyx 1517 after one loss. This makes 0 sense.

If I had to guess, only so many games have been played so far with the game launching today, so there were a bunch of people similar to you, but that loss was enough to put them ahead. Champion is the only division you can get kicked out of.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I went from Champion 177 to Onyx 1517 after one loss. This makes 0 sense.

Champion is top 200 players. You can rank down to Oynx but thats the only one you can rank down in.

Has anyone else played with an Elite Controller yet?

Other thoughts:

AR is still OP

FFA is a real cluster fuck.

The radar is irritating

I'm on mission 7 and it feels like I should have read a book to go along with this or something. ODST and Reach felt a lot more like one big firefight to me than H5 though.

I don't really see how. In ODST and Reach, you're constantly fighting your way THROUGH the level, while so far in Halo 5, you pretty much just hang out in one out of two areas for the mission, fight off waves of robots for 10 minutes, and then move to the next area that's going to be assaulted by wave after wave of enemies. I mean, there were certainly points where you had to stand your ground and eliminate all enemies in every Halo game, but outside of the Blue Team mission, it seems like this is all Halo 5 ever does.

Also, I get the feeling 343 stuffed Halo 5's campaign to the brim with filler in order to proclaim that the game had 15 missions. Missions 3-6 have absolutely no business being separate from each other. If 343 just had the player constantly on the move, instead of just trapping them in a location with multiple waves of enemies, these missions could have all easily fit into one.

@@Sal1ent Any word on some ideas/confirmed REQ's that can be released?

I would absolutely love to see:

- "Traditional" medals REQ pack (Make them look like Halo 1/2/3/R medal aesthetic)

- Halo 2 Heretic Banshee for Warzone

- Steampunk skins for weapons

- TeamBeyond skin for weapons/armour

- HCS team skins.

- Fan-made gun skin competitions.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So a few things I've noticed

1) Orion is potentially the worst Halo map I've played on, I'm not sure if it's bad because of Halo 5 mechanics or if it's bad because of it just being a terrible map.

2) The sniper is way too easy, kind of fits into above because the sniper is so powerful on Orion. But anytime I've grabbed a sniper I've been godly.

3) I think the radar may exist so people don't juke you too easily under all the verticality. Several times in my roughly 20 matches tonight I had someone one shot, they would step off a ledge and thrust underneath it, and the only reason I could actually kill them was due to the radar telling me where they went.

• Upvote (+1) 3