CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

From what we've gathered from our experiences and such, this is what I think the ranks mean:

Bronze - Troll / betrayer

Silver - You don't even try. Unable to aim.

Gold - Terrible

Platinum - Below Average

Diamond - Average

Onyx - Actually good

Seems pretty accurate to me.Champion - Pro status

Seems pretty accurate to me.

I wish i played with my stacked squad(all my halo buddies), but the home town homies wanted to play so i played with them instead- they are atrocious haha.

-I ended up being placed in diamond 1, i think i won 6 lost 4, 1.8 KD, with some nice OBJ work.

-My 1 friend placed gold. He got goosed a couple games and never broke even 1 out of the 10 placement games.

-My 2 other friends, did decent, maybe  2 or 3 nice games, placed platinum. 

First impressions:

I honestly dont think the aiming is clunkly, i just think the sensitivity's are really slow. The pistol doesn't even seemed that underpowered to be honest, i just find that if you miss that first shot, good luck getting the kill. Thrusters dont even seem to bad either.

The rail gun is OP tho.

If its BR vs Pistol, BR wins 9 out 10 times.... I think the BR is a little OP out of all the rifles, but it isnt game breaking. 

Kinda like how slide jumping down a slanted object in other Halo's speeds up your movement? I'd like to see a video if you can make one or link to one. When I had thought of "advanced movement techniques" (for lack of a better term) for sliding, I had hoped and anticipated that you could use thrust with it, but I can't see a lot of useful scenarios for slide.

Now my issue with stabilizers may just me being a grumpy old elitist to be honest. It just seems really weird to me to be able to jump and hover/float in a Halo game, in order to get a line of sight that was either deemed impossible beforehand, or incredibly difficult due to the player having to time the jump and hit the shot accurately in a small window of time. Now that player can stabilize in the back of the map with a sniper, only to take a few shots from a pistol and run away. Stabilizers to me seem like they were put in for the person who found jumping headshots to be too difficult.

So generally I don't like them. They produce this effect that I would expect it to, and it's very upfront, but that doesn't mean I wasn't proved wrong with finding a more clever use for them. Unfortunately, while still a defensive tactic, I've seen players run away and go to jump off a ledge only to jump, stabilize and ground pound hover to juke out their opponents. When I talk about depth of abilities or about how things go beyond the surface level of gameplay, I'm talking about utilizing things like this.

Yep just like that slide effect. SS showed it in the advanced tech video. Also, sliding down ramps or slopes increases the slide length. Slides also cause momentum jumps. Also can do diagonal

I sometimes thrust backwards after slide when grabbing PW but besides what I mentioned earlier I don't use thrust with it. However, its day 1 so anything can happen

And word I see your issue with it. Was more just noting what you can do with it. GP I have used to escape a few times but it's pretty situational. Flag routes though with GP are interesting...

Also, another thing I noted is using Clamber to stay alive. In orion, it has DMG boost literally on this small circular floating object. No cover or anything, so what I do is grab DMG boost and if I'm being shot at, I jump down and clamber last second which takes half a second or so to clamber up and they can't really get s clean shot on me. And usually on that map I have someone on the tower behind DMR so they can put pressure on them and I thrust to their side to harass/kill them. Most of the stuff I've found are defensive stuff but wouldn't be surprised if Thruster has glitches where it helps offensively

Think I might try making a video out of all this later

• Upvote (+1) 1

Question about rank:

After you get initially placed, can you drop a category?  Like let's just say in those first 10 games you do really well because it's a Thursday and the moon is blue and seven of the planets are in alignment.  After that passes, you repeatedly get trounced every game you play.  Will you move down a level?

It seems like you should . . . but the reason I ask is that I've seen it stated over and over that you "won't lose a whole rank just from a loss".

Question about rank:

After you get initially placed, can you drop a category?  Like let's just say in those first 10 games you do really well because it's a Thursday and the moon is blue and seven of the planets are in alignment.  After that passes, you repeatedly get trounced every game you play.  Will you move down a level?

It seems like you should . . . but the reason I ask is that I've seen it stated over and over that you "won't lose a whole rank just from a loss".

If you continue to do bad you'll down to the low part of the division you're in. You won't go Platinum to Gold, just low Platinum

And it honestly takes at least two weeks of playing to get a good feel of which maps are good or bad in the game.

well the terrible ones will be weeded out early on [Orion] but the decent ones will indeed take more time. Coliseum and Truth are the only ones I care for, but they're about as by the numbers as it gets. Everything else feels it encourages aimless running around. 

At midnight last night my xbox one bricked just as the game came out. Went out and bought a new one today. This game better be worth it.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If you continue to do bad you'll down to the low part of the division you're in. You won't go Platinum to Gold, just low Platinum

Not sure how I feel about that.  That could prove to suck.  Unless the rank resets will be applied to all arena lists, in which case, not so bad.

Question about rank:

After you get initially placed, can you drop a category? Like let's just say in those first 10 games you do really well because it's a Thursday and the moon is blue and seven of the planets are in alignment. After that passes, you repeatedly get trounced every game you play. Will you move down a level?

You can move from gold 2 to gold 1 but no gold 1 to silver 6 as an example. Ranks reset every season which is a month so someone getting lucky isn't long term and who they are matched with is based on a different number than their rank so even if they miraculously made it to onyx but should be bronze they would be playing bronze after getting rolled by everyone else even if they have onyx rank.

It is like this to prevent ladder anxiety where players hit their goal and are scared they will lose it so they don't play anymore

You can move from gold 2 to gold 1 but no gold 1 to silver 6 as an example. Ranks reset every season which is a month so someone getting lucky isn't long term and who they are matched with is based on a different number than their rank so even if they miraculously made it to onyx but should be bronze they would be playing bronze after getting rolled by everyone else even if they have onyx rank.

It is like this to prevent ladder anxiety where players hit their goal and are scared they will lose it so they don't play anymore

I thought the rank resets were only for some of the lists.  If it's for all of them, then I'm not so worried about it.

I noticed in the collection that there are some items with 3 stars in the bottom right hand corner. What is the significance of those stars? 

For example, under assassination's, Emile's Regard has it. Side note, getting Emile's assassination is t1.

Solo Queue and plugged my mic in for Breakout. No one talks. I start calling out. Saying stuff like "Nice try" and "good shit".

Then people turn their mic on and call out too and be nice.

This is what I miss from 07 XBL. Also breakout is gonna be my favorite playlist. #GearsKid

What I don't understand is why can't Halo have first person spectating when you die and not third person? Pretty awkward in Breakout

• Upvote (+1) 2

I noticed in the collection that there are some items with 3 stars in the bottom right hand corner. What is the significance of those stars?

I think those are mythic items (the rarest cards)

Solo Queue and plugged my mic in for Breakout. No one talks. I start calling out. Saying stuff like "Nice try" and "good shit".

Then people turn their mic on and call out too and be nice.

This is what I miss from 07 XBL. Also breakout is gonna be my favorite playlist. #GearsKid

Did you change it from party chat to game chat? Back button, B.

For example, under assassination's, Emile's Regard has it. Side note, getting Emile's assassination is t1.

I believe that represents Mythic status?

What I don't understand is why can't Halo have first person spectating when you die and not third person? Pretty awkward in Breakout

I'm assuming they made it so you can't rotate view in Breakout so teammates can't watch angles behind the person and give callouts. Its better that way. But sometimes the view angle does get awkward.

I'm assuming they made it so you can't rotate view in Breakout so teammates can't watch angles behind the person and give callouts. Its better that way. But sometimes the view angle does get awkward.

And I love that they changed it, just don't understand why we can't get first person

Did you change it from party chat to game chat? Back button, B.

Nah I didn't change anything. I was playing solo and just wanted to call out to get some wins.

It's a Sniper Rifle thing.

If you hold LT, it just zooms in the default level. Clicking the Sprint/Zoom button switches to the next zoom level.

For non-LT zoom schemes, it's just the normal 4x to 8x to 1x.

That's not normal haha.