CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

In terms of raw damage output, I guess that hierarchy works. The BFG uses up far too much ammo to be treated as a viable weapon, and the rockets have a lot of risk to them. The SSG/Shotgun and Pistol/Chaingun relation provide a little bit of redundancy, but Quake almost all but lacks this. You can't really give the same sort of tier list for that game, but the LG and RL would be high in their utility.

But to make Halo work like a traditional arena shooter, the concept of an all-purpose weapon would have to go away, which would practically remove what's left of Halo.

I think equal starts, a strong utility, and the unique health system is a huge part of what makes halo, "halo". At least we have those. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting video

One thing is for certain w/ 343.

They have some wizards working for 'em over there. Having all this done on the Xbox One, is seriously impressive. 

Metacritic and game reviews in general are honestly just redundant and unnaturally subjective.

Sequels are never 'as good' as their predecessors, older game ratings are inflated, etc. I can't wait to see IGN give a bad review now that the biased McCaffrey isn't reviewing it.

Population/sales/longevity speak more about a game than any terrible reviewers opinion nowadays.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's the point, though. Halo's basic formula is not one you can mess with and really expect to have a positive outcome.

I've said it time and time again that if Halo wants to try to be something else (like it has desperately, DESPERATELY demonstrated over the last three titles), then it needs to be reworked from the ground up as a different kind of experience.

Sidegrades to the utility weapon have always existed to varying degrees of usefulness. Some consolidation would be nice, but I don't think the existence of the BR and DMR on a few maps really changes what Halo is trying to be in a negative way.

I can't wait to see IGN give a bad review now that the biased McCaffrey isn't reviewing it.

Woah, what? Did IGN say that's the reason he's not reviewing it? He probably cried when he heard the news.

Metacritic and game reviews in general are honestly just redundant and unnaturally subjective.

Sequels are never 'as good' as their predecessors, older game ratings are inflated, etc. I can't wait to see IGN give a bad review now that the biased McCaffrey isn't reviewing it.

Population/sales/longevity speak more about a game than any terrible reviewers opinion nowadays.

• Upvote (+1) 5

video game reviews by the big orgs mean almost nothing, generally speaking, but I'm still glad to hear that most reviews say (1) MP is solid and (2) campaign is mediocre, rather than vice versa.  

I think that is the first negative thing Ryan McCaffrey has ever said about Halo. 

I am in shock. I was expecting business as usual. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

Woah, what? Did IGN say that's the reason he's not reviewing it? He probably cried when he heard the news.

Ryan is a big shot at IGN (he's pretty high up isn't he?). If he wanted to review Halo 5, I'm assuming he easily could have. I don't think this is about him not being able to.

I'm not going to take anything Ryan says about Halo's campaign seriously. I enjoyed the campaign in all the Halo's for distinctive reasons but there were objectively flawed aspects I won't ignore.

I think that is the first negative thing Ryan McCaffrey has ever said about Halo. 

I am in shock. I was expecting business as usual. 

That comment about the campaign was really unexpected coming from him

1b788ac8c4917bd6d35cb5b4734ead04.png

There goes his Halo 6 media copy.

Lmao. I'm 100% surprised by this. Of all people to say that I never expected it to be this guy. Not sure if some kind of salt or if they did something no Halo fan is going to appreciate. Guess I'll find out in a few hours

The whole "what makes Halo, Halo" argument is and always has been a cheap one to me. Halo multiplayer is defined by different things for different people (and its heavily dependent on what game they started with).

Halo 2 didn't retain the health system and added dual wielding

Halo 3 added another tier of weapons in the form of equipment

Reach took equipment a step further and built them into loadouts aswell as adding sprint

Halo 4 changed the way the weapons works on maps (definitely the biggest offense for me) and also expanded on loadouts

Halo 5 adds ADS and thruster packs

The unifying and defining features of Halo are a lot more subtle than just "No sprint"

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Called it. People should never count the sudds out. They may be obnoxious twats but never have they been bad players.

please.... how many people did they compete against in a 48 period. lollll. plus their total games wins and losses... my god.

its like tom cruise in days of thunder getting a fsster lap time than his competitor.... lets see how they do in thw crowd.

Ouch. 

Anyone beat in on Legendary yet? How hard is it? Can't decide to just go for Legendary first or just do my normal Heroic run through. 

1b788ac8c4917bd6d35cb5b4734ead04.png

There goes his Halo 6 media copy.

I'm very critical of the Halo campaigns and I didn't get that impression at all playing Halo 5's campaign. No, it didn't touch CE/H3's open battles or H2's variety, but to say that it was the "worst" is far-fetched. It had a better story direction than H4 and the level design was near identical to H4. I honestly think he's being intentionally critical so he can get a better rep in the community. He has been accused of being a Halo fanboy (in a bad way) for years now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sorry if this has been answered 40 times already, but when EXACTLY will we be able to 'press play'?

Halo 5 adds ADS and thruster packs

ehhhh that is a terrible way to describe Halo 5's evolution of Halo multiplayer

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry if this has been answered 40 times already, but when EXACTLY will we be able to 'press play'?

12:01AM EST/9:01PM PST

does it have spoilers?

Not at all, it's a bunch of small quotes from different reviews which are all really positive.

Basically the critical consensus on the campaign is definitely not negative, most people seem positive. The story does appear to be fairly divisive though.

as Moa said, 12AM EST for North America. If you are in Europe or another country, 12AM for your time zone.

• Upvote (+1) 1