CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Looking back over them now and I think you'd have to admit that a lot of the CE maps are rather dull. I understand they were working with lesser machines but even so I don't think maps like Wizard or Rat Race were ever particularly great looking. Prisoner is nice and Hang 'Em High has a great ominous feel to it, but a lot of these are just Halo maps by association. As in its no surprise that the maps from the first game (that people have been playing for 14 years) are memorable by now, you can't even compare them. It's like comparing a new CS map to Dust2. Of course the new one will always come up short, its fuckin' Dust2 after all

But Dust3 will be the best CS map to date if Valve can just...

...oh fuck. 3. Nvm.

Never said this site couldn't be. But Neogaf is scary bad. These are guys who ban you for "suggesting NeoGaf is a hivemind" and think a rape survivor who doesn't believe in defending pedophiles is "biased and shouldn't be allowed to pass jusgement on a 'sexual orientation'"

Fuck neogaf. There are some good people but holy shit, 4chan is way more respectable

fLX92aT.png

4chan at least accepts who they are. The political threads on GAF are legit scary and what's worsts is that the admins are usually involved. I have an whole album of GAF screencaps that are comedy gold.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Damn. I liked 2 and Reach's artstyles.

I'll go sit in the "unpopular opinion" box for a while.

I love Reach's art, so you're not alone :)

Halo 2's visual weaknesses are more technical than artistic. It's still an eyesore, but still. I think people berate it due to the nasty texture pop-in and overall unfinished feeling to the visuals.

EDIT: IcePrincess STAHP

Halo 2's visual weaknesses are more technical than artistic. It's still an eyesore, but still. I think people berate it due to the nasty texture pop-in and overall unfinished feeling to the visuals.

Hm. I could see that. I mean, I love Halo 3's visuals as much as the next guy, but there is something about fighting Covenant in New Mombossa, fighting through High Charity and seeing the inner workings of the Halo Array in a way CE's engine couldn't handle. It kills me to think about how much *better* Halo 2 could have been.

As for Reach, the aesthetic is the only thing I really like about it. It's pretty drab and gray, to be sure. As awesome as the natural beauty of the planet is, I would have liked to see some more diverse encounters than skirmish-atop-a-cliff-overlooking-a-much-cooler-battlescene #74. Idk. I still like the way the Sanbox looks in that game, and really that's the bread and butter of it. Forge textures get pretty dull after seeing the same color scheme several million times, too. Plz Halo 5. Fix that.

Yep. Still think that reach has the best overall ascetics of any halo game. H2 overhauled the lighting and texture system, but it clearly wasn't finished yet. They had a lot of problems in the development of the engine, and it clearly wasn't done. I always liked the looks though, tbh. Wish they had more time to work on it though.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Looking fwd to Tuesday. Going to be a pleasant 4 hours after work before I have to go to bed :(

#reallifesucks

At least my real life comes with vacation days.  :ghost:

fLX92aT.png

That is hilariously ironic; it's almost like the moderator in question was actively trying to prove the now-banned individual's point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That is hilariously ironic; it's almost like the moderator in question was actively trying to prove the now-banned individual's point.

I8dHuJD.png

I'm here all day, folks.

Also, 1 more hour of Arena before everyone starts playing Warzone.

• Upvote (+1) 3

No.

That was all that ran through my own head too.

I'm here all day, folks.

Question for you, Eagle. I assume you got a list of peak times to play certain things, when does that schedule end?

Alright just finished Halo 2, now onto 3. Getting 4 in before Tuesday is hopeful to say the least but I'll give it a shot.

If anybody is gonna be on starting tomorrow/when whitelist ends, and is looking for ranked teammates, hit me up. Probably going to be on starting around 10:30am EST. Aiming for Plat at the very least.

If anybody is gonna be on starting tomorrow/when whitelist ends, and is looking for ranked teammates, hit me up. My friends suck :)

It gonna be really early if it ends when I hope it ends.

Hm. I could see that. I mean, I love Halo 3's visuals as much as the next guy, but there is something about fighting Covenant in New Mombossa, fighting through High Charity and seeing the inner workings of the Halo Array in a way CE's engine couldn't handle. It kills me to think about how much *better* Halo 2 could have been.

As for Reach, the aesthetic is the only thing I really like about it. It's pretty drab and gray, to be sure. As awesome as the natural beauty of the planet is, I would have liked to see some more diverse encounters than skirmish-atop-a-cliff-overlooking-a-much-cooler-battlescene #74. Idk. I still like the way the Sanbox looks in that game, and really that's the bread and butter of it. Forge textures get pretty dull after seeing the same color scheme several million times, too. Plz Halo 5. Fix that.

In terms of Reach's color scheme, I think it worked. The planet was boned, and both the tone of the narrative and the visuals reflected that aspect of the game.

In terms of encounter design, while it was consistently good, I'll agree that it got old, but for me it was mainly because the game didn't do a very good job of making you feel like you were part of a global conflict. There weren't a whole lot of large scale infantry assaults or vehicle battles, it was mostly just small scale fights with a large vista showing you all the action, but never allowing you to feel like you were participating in them. (Missions such as Long Night of Solace and Exodus did the best at evoking the FEEL of a large scale conflict, though).

I8dHuJD.png

I'm here all day, folks.

Wow. 'I see posts where someone has given a rational argument with clear debatable points, only to then get banned for ..'

BANNED.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody here doing midnight tournaments? I'm going to one tomorrow night. If I win, I get the game for free but I don't get to play right at midnight. If I lose, I go home and play at midnight on my pre installed game. Win/Win I guess.

Question for you, Eagle. I assume you got a list of peak times to play certain things, when does that schedule end?

When the game launches. Warzone and Arena play times are evenly spread out though.