CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

He was talking to Roy, Lunch and Towey. Why would he lie to his friends? It wasnt like he was chillin in summits chat going "maps are awesome"

I agree, I also see a bunch of people hating on Breakout just because its a slight twist on traditional Halo.

"Slight twist" lol

you can defiantly see the work that the "pros" at 343 put into the game. The maps are pretty balanced.

i am disappointed that we don't see any bomb or KoTH. I wonder if Extraction will make a comeback.

Also I haven't seen any asymmetrical maps.

The Rig, Eden, Plaza, Pegasus, and Orion are all asymmetrical, and they are probably the best maps in the game. 

The Rig, Eden, Plaza, Pegasus, and Orion are all asymmetrical, and they are probably the best maps in the game.

did they make any changes to Orion and Pegasus? Probably the only two maps I haven't seen played.

did they make any changes to Orion and Pegasus? Probably the only two maps I haven't seen played.

Pegasus doesn't even look the same. 

Much smaller, tighter. Good for FFA, not sure what 4v4 gametypes would play well on it anymore.

Orion got some color added, less sun, and MAYBE some changes? Don't recall anything huge. Videos up on youtube you can watch, just search by upload date. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Orion is mostly the same in terms of flow, but there is a Railgun where the Hydra was in the Beta, and there is a Damage Boost that is hovering out in the middle of nowhere on a platform so its pretty risky to grab.

Pegasus saw some geometry moved around in certain spots and a lot of the excess space behind rockets (the grass/rocky area in the Beta, as well as the back of Red Tower) were chopped entirely and removed.

Both maps have some coloring changes as well as new weapons on map.

Neither will be played in the HCS but Pegasus looks super fun and was one of my personal favorite maps in the Beta. I'll hold off on opinions on Orion until launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pegasus doesn't even look the same.

Much smaller, tighter. Good for FFA, not sure what 4v4 gametypes would play well on it anymore.

Orion got some color added, less sun, and MAYBE some changes? Don't recall anything huge. Videos up on youtube you can watch, just search by upload date.

Alright cool, thanks

I get why the UNSC maps are designed the way they are. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see it serving 3 purposes:

1. It allows for faster map design, allowing the same assets to be reused.

2. Since the UNSC palette is aestheticly round, white, and grey, it's easier to pinpoint friendlies and enemies.

3. It allows more casuals to look at random multiplayer footage and identify it as Halo 5, since the environments share a theme.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd just like to point out one particular quality of both Reach and H4, in that they didn't have one single stand-out map. I'm talking the kind of map that a person can look at and instantly, without question, identify as being a Halo map. Right now I'm seeing the same thing with H5. Call it the evolution of design, call previous Halo multiplayer "cartoony" looking with too many bright and starkly saturated colors, I simply don't think that trying to influence the multiplayer with campaign feel works when the campaign is based around dark, drab, undifferentiated environments with gloomy palettes. 

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I get why the UNSC maps are designed the way they are. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see it serving 3 purposes:

1. It allows for faster map design, allowing the same assets to be reused.

2. Since the UNSC palette is aestheticly round, white, and grey, it's easier to pinpoint friendlies and enemies.

3. It allows more casuals to look at random multiplayer footage and identify it as Halo 5, since the environments share a theme.

Those are stupid reasons lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd just like to point out one particular quality of both Reach and H4, in that they didn't have one single stand-out map. I'm talking the kind of map that a person can look at and instantly, without question, identify as being a Halo map. Right now I'm seeing the same thing with H5. Call it the evolution of design, call previous Halo multiplayer "cartoony" looking with too many bright and starkly saturated colors, I simply don't think that trying to influence the multiplayer with campaign feel works when the campaign is based around dark, drab, undifferentiated environments with gloomy palettes.

It may not be the best map, but the first time I've ever seen lockout I could recognize it instantly. Same with midship, chill out, derelict, damnation, and even the pit.

For whatever reason, the better the graphics get with halo, the less memorable the maps become. I haven't rememberd a map since h3 :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Neogaf is perhaps the greatest gaming circlejerk of all time. That place is awful

Neogaf is pretty bad. This place isn't much better on days like today.

The beyond forums never let the truth get in the way of a good story. I've actually grown to like the people who run this site. They're professional and do a good job. And they deserved a review copy. But goddamn are these forums bad sometimes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. + The maps are shit gameplay-wise...

• Downvote (-1) 2

Blops 3 does map colors right for me. Have you guys seen the new Nuketown color scheme? Shit's sick I wish Halo would go that route.

So fresh, so clean. 

The colors pop. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd just like to point out one particular quality of both Reach and H4, in that they didn't have one single stand-out map. I'm talking the kind of map that a person can look at and instantly, without question, identify as being a Halo map.

Zealot for Reach? What other game would have a map like that? Same thing for Haven in Halo 4. Coliseum in Halo 5?

Covenant and forerunner maps are absolutely identifiable with Halo. Those were the most played maps in those games, or damn close to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Zealot for Reach? What other game would have a map like that? Same thing for Haven in Halo 4. Coliseum in Halo 5?

Covenant and forerunner maps are absolutely identifiable with Halo. Those were the most played maps in those games, or damn close to it.

Haven? You mean generic grey shapes map #2734? Zealot? Purple halo map #7? Coliseum? Literally don't even know.

You're being quite generous with your classification of 'memorible' maps.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So has anyone confirmed if the MP servers will go up for everyone once the game is out in New Zealand?

Should behave that way if you have a disc copy, yep.

I definitely have to agree with this; to quote something I said previously as part of a larger feedback post:

Halo 5’s map design, and perhaps this is feedback that best serves the DLC maps and those of Halo 6: Subtitle, could benefit from greater aesthetic variation in its human environments. Human architecture, as a result of creation in different eras and by different cultures, already exhibits immense diversity, so it seems odd for Halo 5’s ‘human’ maps to lack such variation in what has been shown to date. They also lack unique, salient visual elements like Zanzibar's wheel that make the map memorable. The color schemes and visual design of some maps, alongside their lighting, aren't particularly vibrant and as such do not provide an ideal experience for spectators or players, with details such as other players failing to be reasonably distinctive in the map environment. 

In regards to recognizable maps/environments, 343 does seem to have some strange aversion to the bold color palettes that helped define the look of Bungie's games. As much as I dislike their core artwork, they'd still be in a much better position aesthetically if they didn't choose such muted and ugly colors.

And their choice of "ugly" colors doesn't necessarily mean that I want then to use super saturated colors (because when 343 does decide to do this it looks bad), just a palette that's logical. So much of 343's palettes are made up of colors that just don't work well together and clash constantly. Reach certainly had a more muted color scheme, but it worked because A) it made some fucking sense, and B ) Bungie has some awesome artists. 343 is 0 for 2 in both of those areas.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Should behave that way if you have a disc copy, yep.

Awesome, so fucking close.

(Also, @@Moa, getting a refund for my digital copy of H5 was the easiest thing ever, I didn't even think it was possible before you told me)

Blops 3 does map colors right for me. Have you guys seen the new Nuketown color scheme? Shit's sick I wish Halo would go that route.

Actually considering buying BO3 after seeing that they put a measure to limit the boosting BS of AW. I'm gonna give it until christmas, and if I see the same raging ab COD on twitter as I always do I'll pass yet again.