CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

After watching a lot of pro streams over the last few days I really don't know how people can say the maps look terrible. I won't be able to say for sure until I get my hands on them but they really are looking great so far. Eden slayer seems to flow very well

I think it's just that there's a lot of similar looking maps, purely visual. But gameplay wise they all look pretty smooth. I've seen people talk about them being too big again, but Sprint and Thrust are a thing that aren't going anywhere so...

So that's 2 people saying monday, and 1 referencing 7am est. Noice.

I'm surprised Frankie uses gaf, place is a cesspool.

Frankie has always used Neogaf. 

Actually, don't let that cesspool fool you. That's a place where tons of developers hang out - some anonymously though. 

He does work for 343i to be fair. That said I think the maps so far look good so I'm cautiously optimistic for future ones

He was talking to Roy, Lunch and Towey. Why would he lie to his friends? It wasnt like he was chillin in summits chat going "maps are awesome"

What's wrong with Stronghold again? I haven't heard you guys who are hating on it give 1 actual issue but more complaining for the sake of complaining.

I agree, I also see a bunch of people hating on Breakout just because its a slight twist on traditional Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's just there's a lot of dull/similar looking maps. But gameplay wise they all look pretty smooth.

The remixes and forge maps definitely exacerbate that "similar" feeling, but overall I think the maps have enough individuality. I agree the UNSC maps could be a little more varied and I don't think I'll ever like a forge aesthetic as much as I did with Foundry (and to a lesser extent Sandbox) but at the same time we have gorgeous maps like Plaza and Regret so eh

Frankie has always used Neogaf. 

Actually, don't let that cesspool fool you. That's a place where tons of developers hang out - some anonymously though.

Neogaf is perhaps the greatest gaming circlejerk of all time. That place is awful

I agree, I also see a bunch of people hating on Breakout just because its a slight twist on traditional Halo.

It's better than any iteration of SWAT so far. I cannot put up with another SWAT-Objective because people want to shit on another's day.

NeoGAF is like the SomethingAwful of gaming, with not so subtle Reddit and Tumblr undertones.

Neogaf is perhaps the greatest gaming circlejerk of all time. That place is awful

Oh for sure. However it's a site that holds some of the largest developer-presence in terms of online forums. Some like to be known - like Frankie- but there are plenty that are anonymous. I'm only saying this because I'm on my second studio now, and I've encountered plenty of people browsing through that site while walking the halls of both. 

Here's how the pros felt about Halo 4 before launch if you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/SJyh7NIk4Pg

There's a big difference between a setup video like this, and a bunch of long time friends casually talking to eachother on a stream as they play. At least I'd like to hope so. 

Either way, first impressions, especially pre-release, shouldn't be taken too strongly.

Do you have any proof? I never matched anything but parties of 4 when I searched in 4s.

Yes because I remember multiple times where I would run solo and get matched with a party of 3. Then we would be facing someone on my friends list and knew every player on the opposing team was running as a full team.

in terms of visuals, warzone looks like a real next gen game while all of arena looks worse than halo 3.   is this a right assessment? lol

• Downvote (-1) 1

Yes because I remember multiple times where I would run solo and get matched with a party of 3. Then we would be facing someone on my friends list and knew every player on the opposing team was running as a full team.

That's not proof, that anecdotal.

I've watched a lot of pros stream at this point (Chig, OG2, Hysteria, Ninja, Lethul, a few others) but apart from a couple vague positive statements I haven't heard any actual feedback.  OG2 said "this game is actually pretty fun" and then Ninja seemed positive overall, earlier tonight ... wondering if anyone has heard more detail

you can defiantly see the work that the "pros" at 343 put into the game. The maps are pretty balanced.

i am disappointed that we don't see any bomb or KoTH. I wonder if Extraction will make a comeback.

Also I haven't seen any asymmetrical maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1