CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Do you all like Regrets new design

Looks 100x better than it did in the beta. The colours really help.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do you all like Regrets new design

YES. SO much yes. I LOVE how Regret's now gray/silver with a red contrast in the leaves. Also, the fog effect where Rockets spawn is great. Love that map; hated it in the beta due to atmosphere.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I truly think once pro Halo players get their hands on this game, and the masses of hardcore competitive Halo gamers...it will test the strength of the default settings for arena that 343 stand behind so proudly.

Idk if its the people streaming or just the style of play for H5 but I haven't been enjoying the gameplay as much. This is my first time really tuning into anything H5 related but idk it just reminds me of H4 in some ways and I feel like after a few months all the little annoyances will come out more.

That's my opinion though and hope it can hold its own long term. The features 343 are providing are very nice additions but I personally don't see the hype behind the gameplay we have. 

You guys act like good gameplay is specific to one class of player. It's not. I've been arguing this for years with Bungie, Frankie, 343, whoever. Making a deeper, more skill-based game, if implemented properly, improves the game for all players. Creating a deeper skill-gap is not some concession made to appease Team Beyond, it's a good game design decision that will improve the gameplay for everyone.

That wasn't really my point but even still I think you'd be surprised. Larger skill gaps require people to play on a regular enough basis as to not get dominated every time they go online. I know there are ranks to prevent these things but between the social playlists and stuff you're going to go up against highly skilled players often enough one way or another. Its why party games always have inherit randomness in them, everyone wants to feel like they're in with a chance to win (and not have to refine their skills to do it).

Just look at the success of Hearthstone, a load of people love the rng.

edit: Just to clarify, I do think there is a lot of merit to the idea of depth appealing to everyone, I just don't think its the rule.

you seemed to of missed the point, blockbusters prior to the sudden surge of CG had more to show than just CG. you can have your cake and eat it too, do we need to be tied by such superficiality? kfc and mcdonalds make decisions which cut corners or are more cost effective for them in exchange for the quality of the product too..but they make the most money so it's okay. so what makes the most money, unique concepts or things that ride the coat-tails? because from where i stand it seems online PC games are making the big bucks and none seem to follow standardization to rake in that money.

if you want an industry that continues to lack ideas and play it safe then go ahead, but don't try to pass it off as the superior decision. 

You are so ridiculously naive that its not even funny. It doesn't matter what I want, what matters is profit. Keep deluding yourself about how big the competitive scene is if you want.

Railgun + camo on Fathom is good. Restores my faith in the map somewhat.

Truth has a plasma caster now for some reason.

Eden has rockets + hydra + sniper, I think I saw a shotgun as well?

That's all the maps I've seen. What are the final weapon sets for the others?

Eden's layout changes in Stronghold, as does Plaza's.

Eden Stronghold has Camo, OS, and Rockets.

Plaza Stronghold has Railgun and Camo(from what I've seen)

Plaza Slayer has Snipe, OS, and Hydra

Us? Who's "us"? I'd rather have them here, if for no other reason than because they balance out cheerleading fanboys like you.

EDIT:  :ghost:

"cheerleading fanboys"

Yeah let's rain in the king of GOAT FPS', Doom MP!

giphy.gif

• Downvote (-1) 1

Starcraft does this. Street Fighter does this. Counter-strike does this.

For some odd reasons...Halo, COD, basically any other console-based shooter, refuses to allow this to be in their respective games.

Still bugs me to this day, why a PC game can be regarded as more skillful, more challenging, yet when you talk console with mainstream people...it's continuously seen as dumbed down demographic, thus the games are designed that way.

I don't know why. It's been this way since the days of Halo 2, which in my opinion was the first FPS console game to start this downard trend. At the same time of Halo 2, COD2 on the PC (how ironic) was starting the downward spiral as well...radar was in COD2, health packs removed, regenerative health, etc etc..

I think with the recent success of LOL, DOTA 2 and CODs...the esports scene is starting to become more mainstream. Even Starcraft isn't as popular as it once was. Now we're starting to see easy pick up and play games...that advertise depth...but in reality, it's just a big product with a lot of cash thrown at it that hundreds of thousands of gamers choose to play.

Hell, if a billionaire decided to throw millions at Farmville tournaments...people would compete.

Dota 2 and LoL aren't deep games, ha good one. i agree with everything else, but at a 30 min average game and a learning curve mobas aren't what i'd call pick up and play. i'd say only modern console shooters and app games fit that bill

So I'm watching Hutch, and he was looking at the post-game stat screen and as Quinn promised, there is a damage-dealt stat. Hutch had around 1750 total damage dealt. Anyone know how much health each Spartan has?

Dota 2 and LoL aren't deep games, ha good one. i agree with everything else, but at a 30 min average game and a learning curve mobas aren't what i'd call pick up and play. i'd say only modern console shooters and app games fit that bill

I didn't say DOTA2 and LOL were deep games...hence why I said they're reigning in such popularity.

I think 343's idea here...or MSFT's for that matter is, they want to create a esports video game that's disguised as being skill-based, but in actuality, it's a game anyone can pick up and play and have the hopes of playing esports tournaments in said game.

What was once niche about competitive Halo is no longer true. While Warzone might appease the BTB crowd...ultimately, MSFT want the HCS to really take off in a very accessible manner.

So I'm watching Hutch, and he was looking at the post-game stat screen and as Quinn promised, there is a damage-dealt stat. Hutch had around 1750 total damage dealt. Anyone know how much health each Spartan has?

100% shields

100% health

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can you not see their rank mid game when you push the back button to look at the stats? At least then if they quit they'll be punished for it

100% shields

100% health

Oh ok so a perfect kill = 100 points of damage dealt in that stat (it didn't look like it was displayed as a % value). I might not be wording this right either

The theme Plaza has is cool but damn the design looks completely random? Is it just me or what? I feel like it is all over the place. I don't know what's going on half the time it seems. I wouldn't count it being a 'competitive' map... but I could be wrong.

HA, good one.(Mainly from a Dota 2 perspective)

YES. SO much yes. I LOVE how Regret's now gray/silver with a red contrast in the leaves. Also, the fog effect where Rockets spawn is great. Love that map; hated it in the beta due to atmosphere.

How can you love Regret but hate the new Eden??

You are so ridiculously naive that its not even funny. It doesn't matter what I want, what matters is profit. Keep deluding yourself about how big the competitive scene is if you want.

my arguments aren't trying to defend the state of competitive play, i enjoy BTB, customs, forge, speedrunning and the niche playlists too. my arguments are not to benefit me as a competitive player because i do more than just run 8s in custom games.

my arguments are for diversity and depth. you are arguing that standardization is necessary for console shooters success, i am arguing that standardization is only "necessary" if you are trying to play it safe. the similar visual styles, similar narrative styles, similar mechanics in console shooters has been getting closer and closer. it is the safe choice to earn money sure, same with how i said stacking action scenes and doing superhero movies back to back is earning money, or how bringing in autotune and doing basic pop songs rakes in the cash.

the question isn't is it lucrative because no shit sherlock we all know it is, we are arguing as the consumer to get games that have more substance and diversity. profit is the biggest concern for companies, and playing it safe is the easiest option,but when all said and done did we get a good product or a superficial one? this isn't just about the state of competitive play, but cutting content, going backwards in functionality, prioritizing graphics over gameplay, becoming one of the same. are these requirements to be successful or just a crutch? 

I didn't say DOTA2 and LOL were deep games...hence why I said they're reigning in such popularity.

I think 343's idea here...or MSFT's for that matter is, they want to create a esports video game that's disguised as being skill-based, but in actuality, it's a game anyone can pick up and play and have the hopes of playing esports tournaments in said game.

What was once niche about competitive Halo is no longer true. While Warzone might appease the BTB crowd...ultimately, MSFT want the HCS to really take off in a very accessible manner.

no i'm saying while dota 2 and LoL appeal to a casual audience they still have mechanical depth unlike console shooters.

Are you even reading what you're typing?

• Upvote (+1) 1

How can you love Regret but hate the new Eden??

I hate the new Eden because the old one was just atmospherically better. I LOVED how dark it was. The lighting actually looked good, and the effects of the mist in front of it, alongside how it actually felt like a nighttime map just added to it. It looked much much much better in beta. Now, the fact it's "nighttime" is barely noticeable. It looks like a cloudy Empire. Way too bright. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

no i'm saying while dota 2 and LoL appeal to a casual audience they still have mechanical depth unlike console shooters.

Eh so...so.. I suppose. About as much as Street Fighter. I've played Heroes of the Storm and it's got some decent depth, but it's a very simple game from an execution point of view...mostly pointing a clicking...all the decision making is done mentally.

The thing with shooters tradtiionally...at least competitive shooters...is the shooting is suppose to be challenging. Meaning...whether it's a mouse and keyboard shooter or a controller...the aiming part of the shooter is suppose to challenge the player. On consoles, there's auto-aim and sticky-aim that are designed intentionally to compenstate for the lack of total control on a controller vs a mouse. It's fact, you have more control over your aim in an FPS with a mouse than a controller's analog sticks.

anyway....my point is....you can design a console shooter to have minimal auto-aim, minimal sticky-aim...and still be accessible. Since 2004...there's been an evolution of lowering the barrier of entry with console FPS games. Not sure why...but COD4 was the one that really nailed it. COD4 was able to create a semi-interesting FPS game that was super immersive and kept players entertained because the aiming involved was VERY minimal. People got hooked to that. It was the dawn of point and shoot...hold the trigger down and spray till your opponent dies. Instant respawn...instant action...that never stopped.

Thus why earlier this evening, a Twitch streamer was playing Breakout in Halo 5 for the third time in a row, and I quote him, "Are respawns still restricted?"

• Upvote (+1) 1