CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Plaza looks like it has potential, although it's hard to get a read on it because I'm watching that Greenskull custom game thing where the starting weapons are shotgun/sword and movement speed is like 9999999%.

Here's an arena shooter up and coming. ;)

I swear it looks like masterchief from the backside.

Man, we're really closing the gap with these similarities in FPS games today.

Looking good

The reasoning is legitimate at the most superficial level. It's evident that 343 is appealing to the wrong demographic. Those same players will abandon the game in a heartbeat to play the next huge sprint title.

The demographic that makes them the most money is the right demographic, like it or not. And again, everyone thinks their favourite thing is the most important thing (or in this case, everyone thinks their demographic is the most important demographic), but in reality we're a rather small bunch. And even then 343i have been quite generous to the competitive scene, from pros behind hired to work on the game to giving us an absolutely enormous amount of options to tinker with.

You're being pretty unreasonable tbh

• Upvote (+1) 1

Nope, sorry.

Nope, it is to prevent people from seeing GTs/ranks and then leaving.

So how can you see if the game is matching you up againts an opponent of equal skill rating? Or can you not and just have to trust the game.

Not seeing any confirmation of 6 or 8 on the playlist reveal article.

Happen to have a source?

Yeah I was going to include that but I swear I saw it somewhere, it's on the tip of my tongue  :walshy:

... so.. sadly, no I don't have a source   :kappa:  Sorry bout dat

Here's an arena shooter up and coming. ;)

I swear it looks like masterchief from the backside.

Man, we're really closing the gap with these similarities in FPS games today.

mp has load outs, and loads of unessessary animations for certain movements. It's further from an arena shooter than h5 is.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

My update downloaded finally. I didn't have to re install anything. Moa was right. Just let it sit for a while and it started. 

People think the pistol looks weak? I thought it looked pretty solid in the few streams i've been watching. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So how can you see if the game is matching you up againts an opponent of equal skill rating? Or can you not and just have to trust the game.

You can see the player ranks post-game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The demographic that makes them the most money is the right demographic, like it or not. And again, everyone thinks their favourite thing is the most important thing (or in this case, everyone thinks their demographic is the most important demographic), but in reality we're a rather small bunch. And even then 343i have been quite generous to the competitive scene, from pros behind hired to work on the game to giving us an absolutely enormous amount of options to tinker with.

H5 is way more hyped than h4 and it is "less modern".

I just wish the Pistol had 15 shots per clip.

12 is so random. It's like the pistol was originally a 4sk and 343i bumped it up to 5sk  and forgot to adjust the clip size. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Which, on the whole, is solid reasoning. When I bought my Xbox One 2 days ago I had a couple of friends over and even though one of them used to love Halo 3 (he's now a Destiny fanatic), he literally said "I can't go back to no sprint". While I don't agree with that sentiment personally I'd have to imagine after years of Cod, Battlefield, and now Destiny, a lot of people do. Like a sales-affecting amount of people. It might seem unfortunate but sprint has become standard.

Even still, 343i have given us more than enough options (including toggle sprint) to truly make the game we want. I don't think thats a very bad deal all things considered.

i think that's a shit defense personally (the standard), it's much like current blockbusters, all action no depth, more after an adrenalized feeling than something of substance imo, if we accept standardization then we will continue to see no diversity. i would trade the world to have a simple game that's complex than vice-versa

I'm not downplaying all the good they've done for Halo 5, but those things don't negate the issues that these mechanics introduce. Like I said, superficial. Gameplay should be more important than day one sales (in a perfect world). Cater to the competitive and we'll ride with them to the end and sell copies months and even years after launch. Cater to the casuals and watch your population plummet faster than the Hindenburg.

• Upvote (+1) 1

ultimately its better hype, people want to play the game because they actually like it and are excited for what it is. With halo 4, people wanted to "give it a try", the hype for 4 was more like intense curiosity.

any one else get turned off when you go 3rd person for the ground pound or shoulder tackle? it just irks me everytime i see it.  like it takes you out of the game imo

• Upvote (+1) 1

turns out the game is on white-list mode.

i'm just sitting here looking at the menu spamming start hoping it would work.

the game works fine when xbox is offline but everything else is blocked including custom games/theater

Can't comment on how they play but the maps really are very poor visually. So dull.

i agree, i think halo 3 mcc visually looks better sadly lol.  

Theres a few factors at work there though, not least of which is a much more successful advertising campaign. Also things like clamber and the jet-slide thing go hand-in-hand with what Titanfall + CoD are doing these days. So the "less modern" statement is debatable.

i think that's a shit defense personally (the standard), it's much like current blockbusters, all action no depth, more after an adrenalized feeling than something of substance imo, if we accept standardization then we will continue to see no diversity. i would trade the world to have a simple game that's complex than vice-versa

Blockbusters make the most money. Case closed.

I'm not downplaying all the good they've done for Halo 5, but those things don't negate the issues that these mechanics introduce. Like I said, superficial. Gameplay should be more important than day one sales (in a perfect world). Cater to the competitive and we'll ride with them to the end and sell copies months and even years after launch. Cater to the casuals and watch your population plummet faster than the Hindenburg.

Good thing they're catering to both.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Now that I'm home from work and have a keyboard...I'll say this...just from general observations, the distance the pistol can be used at seems okay. I guess I'm more concerned about placement of power weapons and powerups on the maps. I wanna see constant movement, constant fighting over items, item control basically. That's what I missed from HCE.