CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

If people are going to criticize CE for backtracking, just remember that the second half of the Halo 2 level The Oracle backtracks through almost all of the level before it, The Arbiter.

Halo 2 is my favorite campaign, I speedrun it almost every day, but come on now.

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/halo-5-forge-discussion-with-cartographers.149220/page-4

Has anyone seen this? One of the guys who went to 343i to look at Forge said on the ForgeHub QnA that you could forge the standard vehicle set as well as, "a few variants of Warthog and Mongoose which can be seen in some of the Warzone videos." But later he says you cannot forge REQ weapons and vehicles... can anyone clarify this?

Probably guass hog and etc.

http://www.forgehub.com/threads/halo-5-forge-discussion-with-cartographers.149220/page-4

Has anyone seen this? One of the guys who went to 343i to look at Forge said on the ForgeHub QnA that you could forge the standard vehicle set as well as, "a few variants of Warthog and Mongoose which can be seen in some of the Warzone videos." But later he says you cannot forge REQ weapons and vehicles... can anyone clarify this? 

I think this would just include the different kinds of hogs and mongeese such as the turret hog, gauss hog, maybe the passenger hog, and normal mongoose and gungoose.

Um they both pretty much instantly kill you the second they see you do they not?

The flood are less accurate, slower to fire, and rocket travel time is far from instant.

The flood are less accurate, slower to fire, and rocket travel time is far from instant.

But the rocket flood are usually in tighter corridors and small rooms so the travel speed is still almost instant. Plus rockets have a blast radius so the accuracy isn't a problem.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What about AOTCR/Two Betrayals? Or the first and last levels? Or the one where you rescue Keyes and the second half of the level is just going backwards?

two betrayals is the only one that's like that though, keys has entire new sections, as does the last level, it's not simply the exact same level over again.

QUESTION TIME!

When will we be able to play H5G? Will it unlock at 12:01am in our time zone or will it unlock at 12:01am EST? For MCC I remember being able to play it like a couple hours early. I'm in Mountain time zone.

Oh look, we have two people with expert degrees on the theory of bad opinions discussing with one another.

And it's not even about Halo 5. Brownie points for that one.

• Upvote (+1) 3

QUESTION TIME!

When will we be able to play H5G? Will it unlock at 12:01am in our time zone or will it unlock at 12:01am EST? For MCC I remember being able to play it like a couple hours early. I'm in Mountain time zone.

12:01am EST

• Upvote (+1) 1

But the rocket flood are usually in tighter corridors and small rooms so the travel speed is still almost instant. Plus rockets have a blast radius so the accuracy isn't a problem.

It is quite far from instant. The only dangerous rocket flood in the entire game are the two (on legendary) guarding the second pulse generator, because it's very tricky to get a shot on them without them spotting you first. Anyone who dies regularly to any other rocket flood in the game sucks ass.

12:01am EST

So it would be 12:01AM EST and 9PM PST?

Just to clarify too - the time depends entirely on your region. Your game will unlock at 12:01AM GMT in the UK for example.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh look, we have two people with expert degrees on the theory of bad opinions discussing with one another.

And it's not even about Halo 5. Brownie points for that one.

Oh look, it's the sanctimonious putz who has never contributed to a single discussion on this site, but rather just sits on the sidelines and yells about the action on the field like the drunk, disgusting uncle at some teenage softball game.

Rocket flood are like jackal snipers. They just give you cheese deaths. Except flood way way more bullets.

No. Its a proven fact that jackal sniper are the devil incarnate.

Yeah it would be:

12:01AM EST

11:01PM CST

10:01PM MST

09:01PM PST

This is for the US/Canada, of course. If you're in Europe or Australia, I'm not sure what the time is for your unlocks.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you want to talk about CE's campaign and it's supposed repetition, this isn't the place to do it. Try the Great Debate topic or the MCC one. I don't have links handy on mobile.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

That's disappointing. It's so dumb that we can't forge the Warzone stuff.

I believe Josh said they were open to the idea in the future. I really hope we can eventually Forge our own warzone maps. I would love to remake Helm's Deep for a Warzone Assault map with the defenders having Marines as allies and the attackers having only Elites or Promethean Soldiers. It would be sick AF.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If it's fun the first time, it's fun every time. This whole "outdated" thing is meaningless shitspeak for you just simply not liking it and trying to give your opinion a bit more gravitas than simply saying "I don't like it."

There's nothing wrong with flood with rocket launchers. They're dangerous enemies. Engage with caution. Or is "use caution" being too demanding on the "modern" gamer?

Vehicles are missing some features of later titles, like boosting, but there's nothing wrong with them either. They control just fine. Maybe you're just not used to it. Adapt.

How exactly is Library copy-pasted three times in CE? Because of hallways? I guess over half the first person shooter industry is a copy-paste of Library, then. Those rascal devs.

Go play Halo 4. It sounds like modern for the sake of modern is what you're after, so why are you torturing yourself with CE?

So many dumb points that I don't even know where to begin. Here goes:

1. Yes there is something wrong with flood having rocket launchers, especially with the way they position them in the level. Crossing one of the bridges in Two Betrayals and they are placed half way across, behind pillars. It is designed so as to block your vision and bate you into a cheap death. There is also barely a solid counter to this beyond grenades and even then its 1. Not a good enough answer, and 2. You would have to know they are already there since there are no visual cues hinting at it.

2. I don't know exactly when the last time you played The Library was (I played it about 3 hours ago), but yes it is in fact the same level (varied very very slightly) placed on top of itself multiple times. It makes you do it backwards, it makes you go underground for a second, but its most definitely a copy&paste job.

3. "If its fun the first time, its fun everytime".......just simply not true. Things get stale, boring, repetitive. If you go to the well on a particular idea too often it will run dry, and CE does just that at numerous points.

4. Strawman arguments are really your thing aren't they

edit: Yea sorry I'll keep it on topic from now on. Just the lengths people will go to to defend CE's obvious flaws always irks me. Especially when they are very clearly clueless about game design.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah it would be:

12:01AM EST

11:01PM CST

10:01PM MST

09:01PM PST

You the man.

No. Its a proven fact that jackal sniper are the devil incarnate.

Actually the devil incarnate is the level designer who declined to give them fixed, predictable spawn points in the opening fights on Outskirts and Regret. Jackal snipers themselves really aren't that bad.

If you have a switch that changes 30fps to 60fps, with no impact on the game otherwise, you want it at 60fps.

It's never that simple of course. It's not good If the 60fps isn't consistent, or if major features are cut, etc.

It would be awesome if they would cut graphics before they cut features or a good framerate. But graphics always take precedent in today's industry.

One of the most positive things about halo 5 (also why so many people bashed Lemongrabs) is the bump up from 30fps to 60fps, now one could easily say "well that's the standard" but they reality is that if 343i had instead focused on the graphics they could've likely reached 1080p (and then some) which might've increased halo 5's sales numbers, instead (and I'm not pretending they did this solely for us) they decided to put focus on the framerates which would make the gameplay feel more crisp and fluid (thus retaining more players) so really one could say it was a sign that 343i was shifting gears from the debacle of H4.

I also want to add that because graphics have become so life like anyway that the value of a game with amazing graphics isn't nearly as valuable as it would've been a decade or so ago, framerate increases can be viewed as more unique and perhaps valuable one could argue.

He's saying that devs cut out parts of the game and/or features to obtain 60 fps which is just ridiculous. 

That has more to do with the platform (XB1/PS4/etc.) than it does with the developers.

Good developer maps >>>> forge maps I agree. But 15 arena maps + a couple canvases >>>>>> 12 arena maps + a couple canvasses and 3 "fun" maps IMO. Those fun maps in CE are enjoyable to play everyonce in a while but arena maps offer much more replayability, wouldn't you agree?

And I honestly think all 15 of Halo 5's arena maps are viable if Ivory Tower is the standard.

343i could create 25 viable maps at launch if it were not for the expectations that fans (such as ourselves) place on them. How many people were royally pissed off at the idea of having to wait 2 months for forge? How many people expect 343i to make 4v4/8v8/12v12 maps all in the same game? My point is that if 343i were to remove forge, and didn't have to worry about the BTB community, they could much more easily focus on making amazing 4v4 maps, however that obviously won't happen so I feel there isn't much point in simply saying 343i should make loads of good 4v4 maps.

I'm not suggesting that they should remove those things necessarily, what I am saying is that our expectations on one hand are different than what we expect on the other hand, and so its understandable why 343i has difficulty balancing the two.

That being said halo 5 will have the best selection of maps at launch since 3, and post launch (mind you these will be free) there will be even more so I would argue Halo 5 does a good job of things.

Going back through the campaigns before 5 comes out and dear god does CE have some of the worst level design in the world. I know its 14 years on but still

The level design isn't really what makes it great, the "I can actually evade my enemy" AI, the powerful sandbox, the powerups (why did they remove them again?) the more dynamic enemy spawns (wouldn't spawn exactly the same every time) and the movement acceleration made CE play positively amazing SP wise.

As for its level design I respectively disagree... CE levels were the most open in the series, granted there were a lot of "dead zones" but it certainly made for more interesting gameplay than a series of hallways.

Careful what you say around here James.

Opinions not welcome.

But yeah, besides ODST I find all of Halo's campaigns shit tbh.

ODST was a copy and paste version of 3 on every level outside of the story and atmosphere and such. The main appeal of ODST to me was the so called "open world" aspect to it. It sounds great but because you have far less mobility options at your disposal (can' jump as high, 90 degree structures that are impossible to scale up, no equipment/AA's, etc.) the gameplay was actually more linear than 3's, making it IMO one of the worst Halo SP's gameplay wise. Loved the story and everything though :)

What? Most of the H2 campaign was literally a hallway, even the outside parts, while CE has Assault on the Control Room, Halo, the Warthog run, and The Silent Cartographer. Yes, The Library and The Flood (H3) sucked, but that was one mission. H3 also had more open battles with the Scarab fight, Tsavo Highway, and The Covenant. Honestly, I've never seen this said about the H2 campaign, not joking. More variety? Yeah, maybe. But the H2 level design has been rightfully highly criticized from the community. I'm genuinely interested on why you think the level design is the best in the original trilogy...

I really wish more people would give credit to Reach's SP, I understand the dislike for the story or plot but the level design, sandbox, enemies, and so on made it one of the best campaign's as far as gameplay is concerned.

• Downvote (-1) 2