CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Just through the 60 FPS spiel. I forgot how much I love Halo drama. Thank you everyone.  :weback:

When you go to the other tabs besides home are they all empty like you're offline? That happens to me a lot. Also sometimes I have to hold the Guide button down like 3 times to get the shutdown option to show up.

Nope on the first part.

I've had a bit of lag/delay happen on the new dashboard but I guess I should expect that from a beta. Hopefully it is resolved for launch.

Actually it has the best one.

Meanwhile CE's is overrated. Half of the levels are the same and you backtrack constantly, not to mention a lot of things look exactly the same.

Not to mention after Guilty Spark you play the exact same missions in reverse.

Having said that: Halo, Silent Cartographer and Assault on the Control Room are my four favorite Halo missions of all time. Followed by Outskirts, Metropolis and The Covenant.

I have never been more impressed in my life then the beach assault on Silent Cartographer. That was my first "singleplayer" experience ever (before then "gaming" for my was Golden-eye, Mario Kart and Perfect Dark multiplayer) and it has stuck ever since. No other game has encapsulated my imagination that much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Really though, I want to hear more about how Keyes is a backtracking mission.

You never played Truth and reconciliation?

CE campaign >>>>>> H2's.

Tighter story, better level design (backtracking > hallways galore), better AI, scarier flood, Legendary doesn't make you want to commit suicide, has a sense of discovery and mystery, less cartoonish feel.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not to mention after Guilty Spark you play the exact same missions in reverse.

Explain in detail how Two Betrayals, Keyes, and The Maw are "the same exact missions in reverse". Be sure to mention the presence of the flood, the fact that two, sometimes three enemy factions are actively fighting one another in spite of your references, and all the key encounters of each level, as well as accompanying strategies.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is getting out of hand...

If your post is lagging once submitted, do not retry to post it or refresh the page. Simply type your comment, select "Post," and then click back on the Halo General Discussion.

I do not mean to offend. Just wanted to give some pointers until it's fixed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

CE campaign >>>>>> H2's.

Tighter story, better level design (backtracking > hallways galore), better AI, scarier flood, Legendary doesn't make you want to commit suicide, has a sense of discovery and mystery, less cartoonish feel.

Plus sticking elites with plasma grenades is hilarious.

Actually it has the best one.

Meanwhile CE's is overrated. Half of the levels are the same and you backtrack constantly, not to mention a lot of things look exactly the same.

H2 doesn't have the best campaign, but it's certainly not the worst. It has a pretty compelling narrative and its idea to make the Arbiter a playable character is a stroke of genius. Its level design is okay, but it could have been better. The worst campaign is Halo 3, by far. Halo CE's campaign is pretty incredible. Its second half is a love it or hate it though. Either people think it's repetitive compared to the first half or they praise the tone and atmosphere shift that gives the levels you already played a whole different experience. I'm part of the latter. I think it's brilliant.

I don't think anything is going to beat walking around New Mombasa at night in ODST though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have, many times. Clearly you haven't, though.

Obviously you haven't if you don't think you are in the same hangars and hallways for half of Keyes. One outside bit of around 10 mins playtime doesn't change the fact that you are backtracking for the second half of the mission in areas already seen in TnR.

H2 doesn't have the best campaign, but it's certainly not the worst. It has a pretty compelling narrative and its idea to make the Arbiter a playable character is a stroke of genius. Its level design is okay, but it could have been better. The worst campaign is Halo 3, by far. Halo CE's campaign is pretty incredible. Its second half is a love it or hate it though. Either people think it's repetitive compared to the first half or they praise the tone and atmosphere shift that gives the levels you already played a whole different experience. I'm part of the latter. I think it's brilliant.

I don't think anything is going to beat walking around New Mombasa at night in ODST though.

Group of UNSC soldiers fighting their way out of retreating Covenant forces and a massive Flood Infection. While the entire city is getting glassed. Sun blocking smoke, dark nights, only light source is the burning citys or huge plasma beams glassing the city. 

Some damn fine halo 5 discussion goin on

We've had a huge CE argument and now we are talking about past campaigns. Those were my favorite things about Halo 5 too. Seriously though.

Obviously you haven't if you don't think you are in the same hangars and hallways for half of Keyes. One outside bit of around 10 mins playtime doesn't change the fact that you are backtracking for the second half of the mission in areas already seen in TnR.

First of all, "backtracking" would imply that you're traveling through the major sections of the covenant ship in reverse, which isn't true; you hit the lift room, door room, hangar, and control room in the same order in both missions. So you're trying to call it a ripoff but can't even get that right.

Second, the outside sections that comprise the first half of each mission are completely different. TNR is wide open, Keyes is cramped and grenade-prone. The insides of the covenant ship structures don't even match up. The place where you enter the exit the hangar in Keyes is completely different from in TNR.

Now consider that the first half of TNR is entirely sniper-based, and once you get inside the ship it's basically a series of wave encounters in the big rooms broken up with hallway clearing. The gameplay mostly revolves around picking off the elite for each squad with quick sniper shots and then cleaning up grunts and jackals. Now compare that to Keyes, which is much more close-quarters, and much faster paced, and has flood absolutely everywhere. The main weapons are the pistol and shotgun, neither of which are even available in TNR (lemme guess your counterpoint; weapons don't change the gameplay that much). Pushing up in TNR is rarely a good strategy considering you have a sniper rifle and can afford to sit back and wait for your shot, but in Keyes the game is often putting pressure on you to push up because if you don't, combat forms will pretty much be on infinite spawn. TNR is about precision, Keyes is a mosh pit.

So basically your argument is that Keyes is a "backtracking" mission because it re-uses the covenant ship aesthetic and has a lot of hallways.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Beyond is like the Master Chief Collection of forums right now.

Thank you for your continued patience. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Explain in detail how Two Betrayals, Keyes, and The Maw are "the same exact missions in reverse". Be sure to mention the presence of the flood, the fact that two, sometimes three enemy factions are actively fighting one another in spite of your references, and all the key encounters of each level, as well as accompanying strategies.

I'm literally pausing my playthrough of Two Betrayals to make this reply. It is Assault on the Control Room backwards but with a Library-esque gauntlet run from the flood, its pretty bad. I've been playing the campaign all day and the level design is outdated.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I meant in terms of location. Part of Halo CE's campaign genius is the recycling of previous level in order to make new ones. There are many recycled areas, only different is a darker palette and the addition of flood. There are some new areas (e.g. on the ground in Keyes) but there are still lot's of recycled areas.