CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Now if the point you're trying to make is that faster response times won't improve your experience when playing a game that brings you no joy, that is a coherent argument. Everyone has their own subjective opinions about stuff.

Yes, I obviously meant the latter. Why in the word would I complain about 60 FPS?

How did I miss this? You literally agreed that 60FPS = faster response times. Nuff said

And to make sure I don't have to go over this again. Faster response times are an actual tangible gameplay benefit. Not just aesthetic

• Upvote (+1) 1

And now wee see the threatened Lemon performing its well known defensive maneuver.

He attempts to confuse his prey by making backwards logical statements and attempting to use higher vocabulary.

The prey will not be fooled this time. The Lemon is doomed.

giphy.gif

Are you threatening to impale Lemon through the chest?

My example wasn't meant to relate to gaming in any way. The big takeaway was that you don't have to be able to feel the difference for it to be there. As in if some random person says "theres no difference between MP3 or FLAC" or "manual and automatic transmission", they can feel that way all they want, it doesn't change anything.

It is the most basic button to visual response, instantaneous aspect of gameplay there is. And I'm not even going to debate it any more. Salient already said it all. Although a fun little game for you might be to try find any pro gamer from any pc game that plays below 60fps because "they like the feel of it" 

First of all, there is no difference between 320 MP3 and FLAC (even though 3/4 of the information is missing), according to every double-blind A/B test that has ever been done, so that's a terrible example.

Secondly, if you want to hold on to the idea that 60 FPS actually affects the in-game mechanics - the only rational definition of a "gameplay difference" that there is - then be my guest, but it will be just an obvious knee-jerk reaction to me discounting the idea that it bolsters H5 in a meaningful way such that it can be included on some stupid "WHY HALO 5 IS AWESOME" list, which it does not.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

And now wee see the threatened Lemon performing its well known defensive maneuver.

He attempts to confuse his prey by making backwards logical statements and attempting to use higher vocabulary.

giphy.gif

It's not a confusing concept. You're just too dense to actually listen to what he's saying, rather than just jump on the "Fuck Lemon" bandwagon.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

First of all, there is no difference between 320 MP3 and FLAC (even though 3/4 of the information is missing), according to every double-blind A/B test that has ever been done, so that's a terrible example.

Secondly, if you want to hold on to the idea that 60 FPS actually affects the in-game mechanics - the only rational definition of a "gameplay difference" that there is - then be my guest, but it will be just an obvious knee-jerk reaction to me discounting the idea that it bolsters H5 in a meaningful way such that it can be included on some stupid "WHY HALO 5 IS AWESOME" list, which it does not.

Dude, what the hell are you saying.

Did you invent the term "Talking out of my ass"?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 8

It's not a confusing concept. You're just too dense to actually listen to what he's saying, rather than just jump on the "Fuck Lemon" bandwagon.

Buddy, I drive this wagon.

And I know exactly what he's saying. But its bullshit. He's grasping at any possible way to further his argument but the argument itself is pointless. Like why is he trashing 60 fps at all? What good does arguing about what he's arguing about help anybody? Its literlly just words that go incircles and say the same thing in a slightly different way.

I can fully understand his points, but they suck.

He has ZERO understanding of game development, as Sal1ent has so eloquently put it. 60 FPS improves response time, and causes the game to tick at a higher rate. This makes registration better. The game is rendered twice as often. Its better gameplay wise. His argument is wrong. A dev has even said it. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And I know exactly what he's saying. But its bullshit. He's grasping at any possible way to further his argument but the argument itself is pointless. Like why is he trashing 60 fps at all? What good does arguing about what he's arguing about help anybody? Its literlly just words that go incircles and say the same thing in a slightly different way.

I understood his point about the 60fps and he just worded it poorly. I can tell you despite him wording it off the first time, you still apparently don't realize his point if you think all he's doing is trashing 60fps,

but most importantly and I've asked this a few days ago, but did you post that intel that you were teasing everyone with?

• Upvote (+1) 6

giphy.gif

I haven't been keeping track of the conversation but this made me laugh.

Joshes post is hilarious, but I understand the point you're trying to make, and agree with it completely.

Case and point: Halo Online can be played in 4K, 120fps, 150FOV, but it's still pretty meh because they gameplay is severely lacking.

Also, there are PC nerds who honestly believe anything under 120fps is unplayable, so everyone needs to stop pretending that 60fps is the golden standard. If people here keep making fun of 30fps, I'll have to pull out my PCMasterRace hat, call you all console plebs, and post 1440p vids of Halo Online, which is supposedly vastly superior to halo 5, according to it's technical limitations.

I play csgo/quake live on 140+ fps with 144hz monitor and I will take 60fps over 30fps any day. 60 fps is better than 30 for gameplay. If 1.6 (arguably the more competitive title) was capped at 30fps and csgo (arguably the noobier) was capped at 60fps. Everyone would prefer csgo just because of the performance difference, which dramatically effects gameplay. Fps is life dawg

But his points are actually valid...

I like 60fps better too, but I would still rather play H1 on OG xbox than H1 on MCC. If other people would use XBC and play that, I wouldn't even touch my XB1.

Reach Grenade Launcher on a DLC map as a Tier 2 weapon would be  :flames:  :flames:  :flames:

I seriously hope they consider the Reach Grenade Launcher. 343 pls.

Yea it would be pretty cool. I could see it being quite a bit tougher to use in H5 with the different movement options we have now though. 

I don't know much about audio but I imagine the lost data from mp3 would be noticeable when put up against a FLAC, even if it would take a few very close listens to hear. But again I don't really know much about sound, which is why it wasn't my first example.

And trust me, purposely going against you or any other Halo 5 dissenters' opinions could not be further down on my list of things to do, everything I've said has just been of my own opinion and experience from PC + console gaming over the last 4~ years. Like I said, you will not find a single pro player that will handicap themselves by playing at anywhere below 60FPS because they "like it". It is just straight up worse, even if you don't notice it yourself.

Lastly, I'm really not trying to be difficult here and I'm sure there are a lot of legitimate concerns over certain mechanics in H5. But I can't sit by and allow people to say 60FPS is just an aesthetic preference. Ain't happenin' 

Since when is saying something shouldn't be put in the same category as the starting weapon in terms of influence on the game, bashing or complaining about it?

Yea it would be pretty cool. I could see it being quite a bit tougher to use in H5 with the different movement options we have now though. 

I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure if I agree. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but we do have the plasma caster. Isn't that just a chargeable sticky/plasma grenade launcher?

Adding the actual Reach grenade launcher shouldn't pose any problem even with the different movement options if we already have a different version of it.

The only differences in shooting mechanic being that the Reach grenade launcher's shots bounce while the Plasma Caster's seems not to.

Lastly, I'm really not trying to be difficult here and I'm sure there are a lot of legitimate concerns over certain mechanics in H5. But I can't sit by and allow people to say 60FPS is just an aesthetic preference. Ain't happenin'

It's not really a "preference" given that everybody would prefer to have it, certainly. It is most certainly a preference in that it doesn't have an effect on the way a Halo match plays out, which I absolutely challenge you to prove otherwise.

And I know exactly what he's saying.

[he's] trashing 60 fps

Clearly you don't.

He has ZERO understanding of game development, as Sal1ent has so eloquently put it. 60 FPS improves response time, and causes the game to tick at a higher rate. This makes registration better. The game is rendered twice as often. Its better gameplay wise. His argument is wrong. A dev has even said it.

Actually he said nothing of the sort, which if you go back and read his post you will see.

Guys OBVIOUSLY 60 FPS is more important than actual gameplay!

the arguments being that 60 fps is as big an influence as something like the magnum physics. 60 fps makes the game feel much better, but the match plays out the same whether it's 60 or 30 fps.

That :intel: was a lot less exciting than I thought it would be

I get that the site team probably worked their asses off for it. And I'm happy for them. I'm just not interested in tournaments but I really hope ya'll have fun with it.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I get that the site team probably worked their asses off for it. And I'm happy for them. I'm just not interested in tournaments but I really hope ya'll have fun with it.

Its all good, tournaments are not for everyone :)

That :intel: was a lot less exciting than I thought it would be

It's pretty awesome news for the competitive community in general. I sincerely hope it was the mods/staff that changed your user pic lol. 

• Upvote (+1) 3