CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

60fps does help. The aiming in Halo is tied to frames, I remember it being a big issue in Reach. 60fps helps with precision. No we don't have LAN. "Better radar" is not a oxymoron when we have played tons and tons of Halo with radar. It's virtually inescapable. So having a radar that doesn't detect you when you're just walking is a nice plus. I know how a shooting gap affects high level matches. As well as faster kill times, and an accurate weapon. I mean, look at Halo 2. Look at Halo 3. Look at Halo Reach. Look at Halo 4. These games all have flawed utility weapons in their own way. I think that the Halo 5 pistol is free from those flaws, and those are the flaws that ruin gameplay. Inaccuracy, ease, bad aiming, recoil, slow.

LAN is definitely one, can't argue there.

Fuck multiplayer split screen. I hate guests.

Forge will be in the game soon, and will be far better than Halo 3's

Sniper is better, yes.

Movement options better, yes.

I don't see the maps in Halo 3 being automatically better than what we have in Halo 5. Especially in default versions.

Lighting? Really?

Having non ranked playlists is not something that should be celebrated. Better match quality is a universal good imo.

We have open API in Halo 5.

Smart scope bothers you that much?

I have a very, very hard time believing that you think that list tops what I just listed.

They are bullet point worthy if NO OTHER HALO HAS EVER HAD THEM. That's my entire point lol.

Sprint is in the game because people want to feel they have better map traversal options. The sprint speed is so low that they even made a little "whoosh" animation on your HUD to make it seem like you're going faster haha.

Radar is going to be in the default game no matter what. Having one that doesn't detect you while walking is a major improvement.

I'm not comparing this game to CE.

Exactly, if it's not that much different from base speed (i.e. sprint doesn't do shit) why the hell is it still in the fucking game? For the reasons I listed previously.

Another "this feature is less bad" argument.

And, yes, you were comparing this utility weapon to the one in CE. I was responding to that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I kind of want to purposely get ranked in Bronze so I can grind my way up. We'll see how I feel come release day. :)

More ignorance.

Nice.

CursedLemon and his shifting the burden of evidence fallacies....  It blows my mind how many people here drink the Cult of CursedLemon Kool-Aid.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Josh pulling a Frankie, huh?

My expectations lower.

60 FPS is as meaningful to gameplay as FOV, in that it is a purely an element of visual comfort. It most certainly does not solve any of Halo's gameplay problems, not even a little bit.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 13

- LAN

- Split screen

- Forge

- All gametypes and features available at launch

- Sniper requires thumbs to be used effectively

- No sprint

- No thruster

- Decent maps that aren't "remixes" of each other

- Lighting isn't way over the top

- Social and ranked playlists

- Great stat tracking on bungie.net

- Can zoom in my weapon without half the screen being covered by SMART SCOPE

- etc.

And this is just the tip of the ice berg, because with 343i there is ALWAYS something that they tried to sweep under the rug.

H5 is shaping up to be no better than H3, the people saying the best Halo since CE are out of their minds.

If you think H3 was good i'm sorry.  H5 will be better than h3 when all said and done.  H3 wasnt bad but was far from good.  Had great maps and a ranking system that made it good. Gameplay wise it wasnt that good.

So you would literally be the guy at an OG H1/H2 LAN that says, "you never would've won if this was 60 FPS".

I don't think 60FPS magically makes me some sort of Halo savant but I definitely think I would play worse if I was forced to play at 30 again. Legit causes my head to ache.

In fact if you ever get a hold of TLOU for PS4 have a go at reverting back to 30FPS in the options. It honestly feels like you're watching a flipbook animation

- LAN

- Split screen

- Forge

- All gametypes and features available at launch

- Sniper requires thumbs to be used effectively

- No sprint

- No thruster

- Decent maps that aren't "remixes" of each other

- Lighting isn't way over the top

- Social and ranked playlists

- Great stat tracking on bungie.net

- Can zoom in my weapon without half the screen being covered by SMART SCOPE

-

etc. etc.

H5 is shaping up to be no better than H3, the people saying the best Halo since CE are out of their minds.

• LAN support is NOT 343's fault. I know it's said that GoW4 is going to have it but currently true lan does not exist on the Xbox One.
  • Split screen was bound to go, not that I'm happy with it. From a developer standpoint it makes sense, especially since framerate drops are an issue in EVERY Halo game made.
  • Forge wasn't in CE or Halo 2 (not entirely fair I know) but you guys act like it's not coming. The reality is that if the core gameplay is solid I guarantee no one will care for the first two months. If the game play sucks forge isn't going to solve it like it didn't solve Halo 3's shit sandbox.
  • This is true and fair we need more gametypes
  • No disagreement but this can definitely be patched if we're vocal about it, and hey at least it doesn't bloodshot. Consistency > ease of use ALWAYS
  • I agree but at least we can disable both sprint and thruster. To counter that: Halo 5 is already looking to have a much more responsive strafe and better weapons so it's more manageable.
  • Halo 3 good maps? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You mean Epitaph and Snowbound? Please. Halo 5 so far doesn't have a complete shit-tier map
  • If it affects gameplay noticeably like Halo 4 I'll agree, in the mean time this is up to debate still.
  • Playlist management will change, this is never set in stone.
  • It remains to be seen how Halo 5 stats will work, I'm confident they're going to be decent this time around.
  • No disagreement here on this one, I hate smart scope.

Now I'm not one to defend Halo 5 (believe me I'm still much waiting for the game to come out first before I say anything on it) but you guys are being ridiculous.

What saved Halo 3 from being complete shit was its features that supplemented it's sub-par gameplay. If you think Halo 3 has a remotely better sandbox than Halo 5 you are truly stupid. Right now with the exception of the pistol (which still does remain to be seen mind you, not that I'm opposed to 4sk at all) but if it means one weaker mid-tier weapon then I'm okay with it. Halo 5 will have the best weapon sandbox since CE (Reach is a weird topic about sandbox) because they're wont be a plethora of random dumb dual-wield weapons (Halo 2, 3, and H2A) and starting weapons that shoot for you (H2A and Halo 4).

The things @@ImperiumVII is mentioning are on these lines. They're tools/features that help boost the gameplay and make it more enjoyable and help sustain a healthy population. Obviously having more gametypes and forge will dent this prospect, however they are not needed if the gameplay itself is satisfying. If Halo 5 is rewarding and makes me smile on a bullet-to-head level then really all these other features are moot in the greater scheme of things, at least that's how the general gaming public will feel about it.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Fuck multiplayer split screen. I hate guests.

Right, so guest players being poorly implemented is a justification for completely axing a feature that's been in the series since day one.

The competitive community has been dismissed throughout Halo, yet look how fast you dismiss another niche community...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Where do we balance sprint? How much has it been nerfed since it's inception, and why do people still feel its not enough? How much more can you balance or nerf sprint before realizing it still doesn't eliminate the core issues of sprint.

sprint looked practically useless in combat, I doubt you'll see anything close to what we've seen in reach/4 when it comes to sprint, thruster has the potential to be worse honestly.

Used local play more during Halo 3 than any other Halo. It slowed down in Reach because of framerate problems and the gameplay was bad, problems which only got in worse in H4. It declined because of shitty implementation. People can't play what's broken or isn't there.

And that's not even talking about LAN, which should be a feature in any competitive shooter so that the game can function in the absence of servers. I hope HCS has fun with all the server trouble they're going to have (and have had already).

You have to understand that I saw Halo as primarily something I did with my friends in person, which is now impossible without quadruple the equipment.

you are an exception my friend, as someone who didn't have internet until Halo 3 (like a year after launch I believe) I can tell you that even back then I hardly ever used splitscreen and judging from everything all my friends told me they practically all played Halo 2/3 online.

I don't think 60FPS magically makes me some sort of Halo savant but I definitely think I would play worse if I was forced to play at 30 again. Legit causes my head to ache.

In fact if you ever get a hold of TLOU for PS4 have a go at reverting back to 30FPS in the options. It honestly feels like you're watching a flipbook animation

First of all, there's a difference between actual 30 FPS and "playing Halo Reach off of hard disk" framerate, which was something abysmal.

Real 30 FPS, especially interlaced 59.94, is perfectly acceptable as a visual format. See: all cinematic cutscenes

snip

snip

Good points, I agree with most of it. 

IMO let's just wait until a couple weeks after launch before we say "H5 is better/worse than X".

Literally no one outside the 343i studio has played the final game extensively and all we can do is speculate about kill times, map count etc.

Maybe H5 will be successful, maybe it will me another H4 style nose dive in terms of population. We will know #soon.

EDIT: Fuck I should've never made that list.

hahaha-oh-wow.jpg

Conspiracy theory time:

This post was actually made by Frankie, who wanted Cursed Lemon to know the pain one feels when their quotes are taken out of context.

:salt:

• Upvote (+1) 6

• LAN support is NOT 343's fault. I know it's said that GoW4 is going to have it but currently true lan does not exist on the Xbox One.
  •  

Gears UE has it right?

My expectations lower.

60 FPS is as meaningful to gameplay as FOV, in that it is a purely an element of visual comfort. It most certainly does not solve any of Halo's gameplay problems, not even a little bit.

It was a dumb thing to say, what did you expect lol? 60fps makes an enormous difference on gameplay. Not just from a visual standpoint but from a "feel" standpoint too. Inputs, fluidity, aiming, hitboxes, everything. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Good points, I agree with most of it. 

IMO let's just wait until a couple weeks after launch before we say "H5 is better/worse than X".

Literally no one outside the 343i studio has played the final game extensively and all we can do is speculate about kill times, map count etc.

Maybe H5 will be successful, maybe it will me another H4 style nose dive in terms of population. We will know #soon.

EDIT: Fuck I should've never made that list.

In terms of gameplay, I think H5 has already trumped H3 and all of the Halo's that has released after it. In terms of longevity and replayability, I think it is the best Halo to date.

In terms of campaign and stability, we'll have to wait until launch.

In terms of feature set and content, that is arguable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How does 60 fps NOT help gameplay?

I'm surprised how many people can't separate the role of 60fps vs the actual design of the game.

Does Halo 4 in 60fps sound appealing to you? Does 60fps do anything substantial to fix the problems of that game?

60fps is great, but it doesn't change what the game is.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

My expectations lower.

Joshes post is hilarious, but I understand the point you're trying to make, and agree with it completely.

Case and point: Halo Online can be played in 4K, 120fps, 150FOV, but it's still pretty meh because they gameplay is severely lacking.

Also, there are PC nerds who honestly believe anything under 120fps is unplayable, so everyone needs to stop pretending that 60fps is the golden standard. If people here keep making fun of 30fps, I'll have to pull out my PCMasterRace hat, call you all console plebs, and post 1440p vids of Halo Online, which is supposedly vastly superior to halo 5, according to it's technical limitations. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gears UE has it right?

As far as I've been able to look into it the LAN system isn't true LAN to the fullest extent. I believe there is still a signing into Xbox Live requirement but all the networking for the games is done locally. However, the only problem is that if the internet goes out it does not work (I'm fairly certain this is true for UE as well). The Xbox Live restriction is something higher up on Xbox's end and for some reason there's a big disconnect between Xbox and 343 when it comes to stuff like this. There's no reason not to have it but I don't think it's 343's fault in this situation.

If you think H3 was good i'm sorry.  H5 will be better than h3 when all said and done.  H3 wasnt bad but was far from good.  Had great maps and a ranking system that made it good. Gameplay wise it wasnt that good.

I never said H3 was good, I actually said: "H5 is shaping up to be no better than H3", implying that H3 is a shit tier standard.

• Split screen was bound to go, not that I'm happy with it. From a developer standpoint it makes sense, especially since framerate drops are an issue in EVERY Halo game made.
  • Forge wasn't in CE or Halo 2 (not entirely fair I know) but you guys act like it's not coming. The reality is that if the core gameplay is solid I guarantee no one will care for the first two months. If the game play sucks forge isn't going to solve it like it didn't solve Halo 3's shit sandbox.
  • This is true and fair we need more gametypes
  • No disagreement but this can definitely be patched if we're vocal about it, and hey at least it doesn't bloodshot. Consistency > ease of use ALWAYS
  • I agree but at least we can disable both sprint and thruster. To counter that: Halo 5 is already looking to have a much more responsive strafe and better weapons so it's more manageable.
  • Halo 3 good maps? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You mean Epitaph and Snowbound? Please. Halo 5 so far doesn't have a complete shit-tier map
  • If it affects gameplay noticeably like Halo 4 I'll agree, in the mean time this is up to debate still.
  • Playlist management will change, this is never set in stone.
  • It remains to be seen how Halo 5 stats will work, I'm confident they're going to be decent this time around.
  • No disagreement here on this one, I hate smart scope.

Now I'm not one to defend Halo 5 (believe me I'm still much waiting for the game to come out first before I say anything on it) but you guys are being ridiculous.

What saved Halo 3 from being complete shit was its features that supplemented it's sub-par gameplay. If you think Halo 3 has a remotely better sandbox than Halo 5 you are truly stupid. Right now with the exception of the pistol (which still does remain to be seen mind you, not that I'm opposed to 4sk at all) but if it means one weaker mid-tier weapon then I'm okay with it. Halo 5 will have the best weapon sandbox since CE (Reach is a weird topic about sandbox) because they're wont be a plethora of random dumb dual-wield weapons (Halo 2, 3, and H2A) and starting weapons that shoot for you (H2A and Halo 4).

The things @@ImperiumVII is mentioning are on these lines. They're tools/features that help boost the gameplay and make it more enjoyable and help sustain a healthy population. Obviously having more gametypes and forge will dent this prospect, however they are not needed if the gameplay itself is satisfying. If Halo 5 is rewarding and makes me smile on a bullet-to-head level then really all these other features are moot in the greater scheme of things, at least that's how the general gaming public will feel about it.

Again, I'm not saying H3 or its maps are good. I compared it to H3 to show that H5 is nothing to be excited about.

Yes LAN is 343i's fault, they are literally owened by Microsoft they could do it if they wanted to.

I agree with your points man, I'm not a H3 kid and i want to see h5 succeed, but it's REALLY REALLY hard to be hopeful when we have a developer with a trainwreck resumee like 343i behind the game and with all the bad news that hit us the last few weeks.

You can't make a list like the one I posted about the other games. You just can't. I invite you to try though.

Yes you can, quite easily actually if you're going to include things similar to what you have. You put so many "default" things on that list that shouldn't be listed as "positives" but things that should be expected with a game this caliber in 2015. The fact you're putting them in the positive column shows exactly why we should be skeptical.

Go and re-read your list and you'll see how many things that shouldn't be praised but should be expected.