CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So does anyone think that any matchmaking kids being in the top 200 in the HCS/Arena playlist leaderboards will actually get noticed and given a look by pros? Or will pros just continue to call anybody that beats them online "warriors" and shake them off? If there is an in-game leaderboard like 343 said there would be, it could actually be a great way to find new talent.

In-game leaderboard would make this a lot more meaningful, but alas that isn't going to happen :/

However, if there is a TO4 Champions that are searching and a Pro team sees that they are in the Top 100, I could definitely see Champions getting some recognition and scouting. Hopefully dedicated servers will get rid of some of the 'online warrior' mentality and allow some Pro/Am teams the ability to scout out some talent.

Why are you settling for broken gameplay mechanics that replace other broken gameplay mechanics and then say it'll be fine? That it's the same as we've had before? Why not argue for actually fixing these things, instead of just making them less bad?

I'm looking at the entire picture here. There have been mechanics I've disliked in every Halo game (even Halo CE!!!!), it's about the final product though. Halo 5, in my humble opinion, will be a better total experience TODAY than the other games. The gameplay I feel will be better, and the features list is second to none.

Not with the knowledge we have today, but pre-release there have been lists very similar to yours for every game.

Like I said, I'd love to compare and contrast a list with let's say, Halo 3.

I mean, just the factors for Halo 5 like 60fps, dedicated servers, free DLC, a seasonal ranking system, a spectator mode, the accurate weapons, the good aiming, etc etc.. These features of the game that are present in Halo 5 that weren't in Halo 3 HOLD WEIGHT. There is no ridiculous benefit of Halo 3 that comes CLOSE to outweighing these important features.

• Upvote (+1) 5

IMO the biggest problem with H5 is the lack of any kind of local play. No splitscreen, and no LAN. The two core features that were the foundation of the Halo community outside the online space. Completely gone.

343 has nuked the features that got me into this series in the first place. I'm sure the online will be good, but for me, it has already fallen short of the original trilogy.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Sold my WiiU, PS3, and PS4 to buy an Xbox One today  :halo:

Damn that's one hell of a gamble.

• Upvote (+1) 1

In-game leaderboard would make this a lot more meaningful, but alas that isn't going to happen :/

However, if there is a TO4 Champions that are searching and a Pro team sees that they are in the Top 100, I could definitely see Champions getting some recognition and scouting. Hopefully dedicated servers will get rid of some of the 'online warrior' mentality and allow some Pro/Am teams the ability to scout out some talent.

It's been confirmed there's no in-game leaderboard?

These are the kinds of discussions that get frustrating.

I can say "Well, each factor I listed is verifiable either through beta gameplay, confirmed features that are black and white, or can be easily projected by anyone who even remotely knows Halo".

But you already knew that. Halo isn't a complicated game. Never has been. You can see the positives and negatives from miles and miles away. With the amount this community has discussed competitive Halo mechanics and features, it's not a challenge to project the post beta changes. This isn't our first rodeo.

I won't be able to change your mind on your skepticism, but let's be honest here. We know what a healthy game with fleshed out features looks like. I'm not saying this is CE 2. CE is an entirely different game than everything that has followed. I'm saying this will be a better overall experience than anything else we've had since, IF PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO TAKE OFF THE GOGGLES.

I feel we are doing addition and subtraction when looking at the final product of Halo 5 as opposed to the Beta, not Calculus and Trigonometry. That's why I'm confident in what I said.

If we take away everything that you don't know about the game (like "decent starting weapon"), what you listed essentially boils down to:

Every iteration of Halo had "stuff". None of it made the game better.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So does anyone think that any matchmaking kids being in the top 200 in the HCS/Arena playlist leaderboards will actually get noticed and given a look by pros? Or will pros just continue to call anybody that beats them online "warriors" and shake them off? If there is an in-game leaderboard like 343 said there would be, it could actually be a great way to find new talent.

Yes definitely get noticed. 

But it's all about placing well at events. 

What HCS Pro team would want to pick you up if you can't or won't go to an event.

If we take away everything that you don't know about the game (like "decent starting weapon"), what you listed essentially boils down to:

Every iteration of Halo had "stuff". None of it made the game better.

A lot of "stuff" in previous Halo games made them better. You just don't think it made the game "good".

I believe that the game is starting off "good" at its core and the "stuff" makes it better.

Yes. @@Sal1ent confirmed it.

How does this make people feel? People either love it or hate it but I've always understood the reasoning behind it was to restrict the amount of things people could cheat for. Sure the companies could do a bit more to prevent cheating but modders always tend to be 1 step ahead of the game. I'm fine with not including a leaderboard.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How does this make people feel? People either love it or hate it but I've always understood the reasoning behind it was to restrict the amount of things people could cheat for. Sure the companies could do a bit more to prevent cheating but modders always tend to be 1 step ahead of the game. I'm fine with not including a leaderboard.

Modding isn't possible on the Xbox One, yet. I don't think that's the issue.

"later this year"? So we have ranks right off the bat, but it won't be considered season 1?

I'm reading it as:

"At launch, we will be in 'Season 0'"

A lot of "stuff" in previous Halo games made them better. You just don't think it made the game "good".

I believe that the game is starting off "good" at its core and the "stuff" makes it better.

Explain to me how equipment, theater, and the missile pod made Halo 3 a better game at the bullet-to-helmet level.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's to make the game future-proof.

Explain to me how equipment, theater, and the missile pod made Halo 3 a better game at the bullet-to-helmet level.

Portable grav lifts were fun.

DDOSing is another form of manipulation that can effect leaderboard ranks. Modding not possible on Xbox One yet doesn't mean people won't figure out how to do it down the road. Leaderboards both provide an incentive to improve as well feed an ego with some people who would care more about their name on a list then the quality of the game.

Great insight though as always.

I'm looking at the entire picture here. There have been mechanics I've disliked in every Halo game (even Halo CE!!!!), it's about the final product though. Halo 5, in my humble opinion, will be a better total experience TODAY than the other games. The gameplay I feel will be better, and the features list is second to none.

Like I said, I'd love to compare and contrast a list with let's say, Halo 3.

I mean, just the factors for Halo 5 like 60fps, dedicated servers, free DLC, a seasonal ranking system, a spectator mode, the accurate weapons, the good aiming, etc etc.. These features of the game that are present in Halo 5 that weren't in Halo 3 HOLD WEIGHT. There is no ridiculous benefit of Halo 3 that comes CLOSE to outweighing these important features.

And I think that's what they want to happen. They're offering all these new features (which, honestly, we should have had 3 games ago), and throwing money at HCS. They want us to go "OMG, new, shiny, eSports! BEST GAME EVER!" Then nobody looks at mechanics as deeply. They think that the other things will staunch the population bleeding that every "new" Halo has had.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but it just feels like it's all tacked on to hide bigger problems. I mean, hell, features that were standard are no longer in the game at launch. Splitscreen is gone, Forge is not in at launch, BTB is not there at launch, we only get 4 gametypes, 4 GAMETYPES, we don't know if there's a file browser, we don't know if theater is in the game. There is no social anything other than Warzone. Oh, you want to play slayer with some rl or casual friends? Fuck off, tryhard or go home. Tell me, how do I explain to my friends that I'm not going to play arena with them because they all suck? Or conversely, what if they don't want to play with me because I'm too good? I have that happen with one of my friends now. He enjoys HCS. We try playing HCS on MCC, but we get matched with players that he can't hang with because the game is factoring me in. Know what we do then? Hop into Team Slayer because neither of us have to worry. What happens when there's no Team Slayer to go into? Guess we're not playing Halo that day. Oh Warzone? Yeah, no, if I want to play Battlefield, I'll go play Battlefield.

DDOSing is another form of manipulation that can effect leaderboard ranks. Modding not possible on Xbox One yet doesn't mean people won't figure out how to do it down the road. Leaderboards both provide an incentive to improve as well feed an ego with some people who would care more about their name on a list then the quality of the game.

Great insight though as always.

I don't think it will be possible to get someone's IP when everyone connects to a dedicated server. But what do I know? I'm no network wizard.

I said a lot of stuff, not every stuff.

I can explain to you how 60 fps, dedicated servers, nerfed sprint, better radar, and a weapon that we get every spawn, that can kill faster than any utility weapon since CE, that isn't easy to aim, that shoots dead accurately makes Halo 5 better at a bullet-to-helmet level.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I don't think it will be possible to get someone's IP when everyone connects to a dedicated server. But what do I know? I'm no network wizard.

It's possible, albeit probably overly difficult to bother with for just winning a match of Halo.

I said a lot of stuff, not every stuff.

I can explain to you how 60 fps, dedicated servers, nerfed sprint, better radar, and a weapon that we get every spawn, that can kill faster than any utility weapon since CE, that isn't easy to aim, that shoots dead accurately makes Halo 5 better at a bullet-to-helmet level.

60 FPS does not help the gameplay, we don't have LAN for Christ's sake, "better radar" is an oxymoron, and you have no idea how using the pistol will affect high-level matches.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

I hope that's the case.