CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

So is matchmaking going to be live when the Pros get their hands on the game? Cause if it is, wont they have an unfiar advantage in the placements if let says only 200 people are the population. SO even if you do suck, but there is only a total population of 200, you still would be ranked champion?

The ranking system shouldn't just be evaluating a players skill in their preferred experience, it should be defining what the game is at its most competitive level, and then categorizing players based on that competitive environment.

Clicked's post sums that up pretty well.

If people enjoy certain playlists well over others, they are going to play them no matter what. Let's say that one playlist is ranked but for whatever reason most people hate that 1 playlist and would much rather play their favorite playlist, whether it be SWAT, Big Team, or Doubles. They're not going to be "funneled" into a playlist they have no desire to play just because it's ranked. They're going to play their favorite playlist whether or not it offers competitive matchups or stomping on noobs and guests. And just because someone is top rank in Team Arena, doesn't mean that person would easily be top rank in the other playlists.

You should be worried about the FPS lag, which it will probably have.

Oh I'm worried about tons of things. Hell, I couldn't even play Perfect Dark with one person on 360 and one on Xbone. We got desynced every time and gave up. I don't know the technical limits of this but I can only imagine that having this emulator work with Xbox 1, Xbox 360, and Windows Live just makes it harder.

Why would it have fps lag? Actual question, not trying to be a dick. I have avoided all things xbox for quite a while.

I don't have the preview program. I've heard some iffy things about it, but have no idea how the AAA games work. I'm only experienced with Perfect Dark. The emulator is a little sketchy with cross platform, I'm not too sure why. I've heard the singleplayer games all work pretty well though.

Lists like this have come out before every single Halo.

You can't even come close to that list with Halo 3, Halo Reach, or Halo 4. You can't even put it in the same ballpark.

I'm not even saying it's bad or anything, I'm just saying I'm kinda done with Halo due to the prior fuck ups. Maybe this time will be different, I don't know, I haven't even LOOKED at the game. Literally, the only thing I have seen as far as H5 is concerned is campaign spoilers and the new forge. That is how dissuaded I am with 343, bungie and the franchise as a whole at this point- I have made absolutely no attempt to even remotely care about this game.

If after 6 months the game is solid, and the community is a good size, and there are tournaments going on... Then I'll give it a shot again, but until then, Halo is dead to me.

I'm sorry to hear that, you were fun to play with back in the day. And I wasn't directing that post at you exactly, just a general attitude.

Halo 5 looks pretty solid to me. There will for sure be some settings / toggle battles in the near future, but it is otherwise shaping up to be a great game as long as everything is delivered at launch. 

I know people are a little salty about Forge, but in all honestly 95% of the people (including myself) posting complaining or questioning Forge not being there at launch, do not Forge / have never forged a serious map in their life. Lets just be real here - I will go forge some dumb map or just move some blocks around, and then never open it again, haha.

The amount of effort they are clearly pouring into Arena, ranks, and eSports is impressive, and THAT is what I (and everyone else here) should be excited to see :)

• Upvote (+1) 9

So is matchmaking going to be live when the Pros get their hands on the game? Cause if it is, wont they have an unfiar advantage in the placements if let says only 200 people are the population. SO even if you do suck, but there is only a total population of 200, you still would be ranked champion?

I would hope they would reset when game comes out or not have rankings in place till the 27th

Why would it have fps lag? Actual question, not trying to be a dick. I have avoided all things xbox for quite a while.

Well for starters the Xbox One is a pretty shitty console it seems. In terms of hardware power.

To run the 360 games it is running off of a 360 emulator pretty much. And from what I heard the games we've seen had lag. And those games didn't even push the Xbox 360s limits. I honestly believe a lot of backwards capable games will just be a mess of lag and other glitches. 

Anybody think the pro team had a pretty big role in the ranking system? It looks absolutely amazing and I think these guys would know how to make it pretty addicting

• Upvote (+1) 2

It is redline-power-rush-hour-160579.jpg

Drank one of these before work the other day for the first time. Didn't find out til after that it was 2 servings. Liquid cocaine i tell you.

whip out the addy

- Spectator mode

- Free DLC

- Dedicated servers

- 60 FPS

- In depth ranking system

- Skillful starting weapon

- Accurate guns

- Good aiming

- Isolated competitive and casual experiences

- Best and most addictive unlock system in Halo's history

- Clan system

- 12 v 12 MOBA-style mode

- Flag juggling returns

- Seriously nerfed sprint

- Better radar

- FFA has no objective

- No guests

- Harsh quitting penalties

- Faster kill times on the whole

- Live spectate mode for your friends

- Tons of usable 4v4 maps off the bat

- Better stat tracking

I know there are negatives that people see. Whether it's a delayed forge, limited launch gametypes, easy sniping, breakout in HCS settings, no veto system, or whatever. But people who are like;

"LOL why should I believe dis Halo will b any different then teh last games????"

These people aren't getting the whole picture. The gameplay is good. The features are great. I don't think you can take that positives list and top it with anything that Halo 3, Reach, or 4 offered. Not with a non-biased perspective. We all have selective goggles on right now, we see what we want to see. But this isn't the Master Chief collection. The game quite obviously works. It worked almost a year ago, and priority one since that point has been to avoid another MCC launch. This game will play well, it will be supported, it will have longevity, and we will end up viewing this as the most successful Halo game at least since Halo 3.

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to say that you're skeptical, and that you don't want to preorder, or that you think the game totes sucks. I'm just saying you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding with this game.

Rule #1 of videogames. 

Gameplay > All

• Upvote (+1) 4

I'm not saying you aren't allowed to say that you're skeptical, and that you don't want to preorder, or that you think the game totes sucks. I'm just saying you're wrong, and the proof is in the pudding with this game.

That game you haven't even played yet?

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to Halo 5. But, admittedly, I'm giddy as a school girl.

The package looks fantastic. Crossing my fingers that there is a smooth launch.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody think the pro team had a pretty big role in the ranking system? It looks absolutely amazing and I think these guys would know how to make it pretty addicting

That has to do with some technical engineering and matchmaking and stuff. Pro Team is a gameplay design department.

Joshua Menke (SC2, Black Ops 2 ranking systems) made Halo 5's Ranking System.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The point of having a ranking system to show overall skill. A SWAT Champion will not be as good as an HCS Champion, but to be fair, they are two different skills for two different experiences. On the other hand, I feel like an HCS Champion could get to the SWAT Champion rank while the reverse could not.

League of Legends works because they streamline the experience and have a huge population. The beginners, the casuals, the hardcore, and the pros all play the same game. These division rank systems work best with a large pool of players. If you spread things too thin, the ranking system becomes inaccurate.

The problem with Halo: Reach was that at one point, there were like 27 playlists and only ONE was ranked. Of course the Arena playlist wasn't going to do well in that scenario. There are many other reasons why the Arena in Halo: Reach failed, but I won't get into that now.

I feel 343 is on the right track, but I still feel there are too many options. Team Arena seems to be the best playlist for this system, but I can almost guarantee the population will flock to Team Slayer and SWAT. It's a shame that the objective game modes don't get much love when I feel that's when Halo plays at its best.

In the end, it's a design choice by the developers. They are balancing competitive integrity against a variety of experiences. Breakout is a new gametype so I expect a playlist for that. SWAT is one of the most popular playlists in Halo so I expect that to be around too. While I disagree with it personally, I understand the reasoning for it. If it were up to me, I would just have one ranked playlist and funnel everyone into that. Once again, that's just my opinion due to my interests when it comes to playing Halo. I'm sure some people just want to play SWAT and that's fine. I just want to play Halo.

Its too late to streamline the experience down to one ranked playlist. This is the sixth game of the franchise. People are too invested in these different settings to have them taken away now.

Mwahaha.

Yes, finally. TOSERS vs Chaos Theosis clan matches soon.

I looked at their stats, (the two currently in the clan) and I don't think it'd be much of a contest.

@@Osqutin   Now I'll be thinking about John and Locke going down park slides while playing H5. Park slides should be added to Warzone. I'm so making a park slide map on forge when it comes out in December. 

@@Osqutin   Now I'll be thinking about John and Locke going down park slides while playing H5. Park slides should be added to Warzone. I'm so making a park slide map on forge when it comes out in December. 

Park slide map?  I'd download that for sure!  

Don't get too hyped guys.

343 always find a way to screw something in a big way.

I want Halo 5 to succeed, but after the launch playlist announcement, it shows they don't learn from past mistakes or worse they are too stubborn.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I want Halo 5 to succeed, but after the launch playlist announcement, it shows they don't learn from past mistakes or worse they are too stubborn.

This is completely subjective. I'm pretty happy with the playlists outside of Doubles.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Its too late to streamline the experience down to one ranked playlist. This is the sixth game of the franchise. People are too invested in these different settings to have them taken away now.

They wouldn't be taken away... they'd still be in the game with background skill MMR. The only thing that would be gone is a Rank symbol next to their playlist that would mean nothing to majority of them.

The ranking system shouldn't just be evaluating a players skill in their preferred experience, it should be defining what the game is at its most competitive level, and then categorizing players based on that competitive environment.

Thats your opinion.