CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

Anyone going to the tournament in Daytona Beach, FL for halo 5? It's 3 days after the halo 5 release. First H5 tourny of the year!

Honestly I'd say it might be shorter, seeing how the last halo game(s) were not all that great. It also depends on how much you know about the game, if you know everything there is to know about the game before it comes out it is going to get boring quickly. That's why I limit how much I watch of Halo 5.

It won't get boring quickly if the gameplay is good, and I think it is (based on beta + footage of changes since). There's arena and an amazing ranking system. There's the all new Warzone which will probaby revitalize the franchise with new players. Not to mention awesome features like the REQ system with new REQs being added throughout, the AMAZING forge coming in December, BTB and other gametypes coming in post launch (don't agree with this but it'll still add something to the game), free DLC maps, and a million+ dollar tournament along with other tournaments/HCS cups. Again it all depends on whether or not the gameplay is good, and while I think it is, I know others may not.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not saying one list is the definitive necessity, but there needs to be a MINIMAL amount of playlists, no questions asked. If you read my original post you'd see that at the very most I suggest having 4v4, 2v2, and FFA ranked lists. Everything else is social.

Ya. I know.

I disagree.

I wonder how long the honeymoon phase will last with this particular Halo?

I enjoyed the beta and i really like the changes they made since then. I like the sandbox, the gunplay and some of the maps. And with the req system, monthly updates, a promising ranking system with seasons and 18+ free DLC maps, it might last a long time IMO

• Upvote (+1) 6

It won't get boring quickly if the gameplay is good, and I think it is (based on beta + footage of changes since). There's arena and an amazing ranking system. There's the all new Warzone which will probaby revitalize the franchise with new players. Not to mention awesome features like the REQ system with new REQs being added throughout, the AMAZING forge coming in December, BTB and other gametypes coming in post launch (don't agree with this but it'll still add something to the game), free DLC maps, and a million+ dollar tournament along with other tournaments/HCS cups. Again it all depends on whether or not the gameplay is good, and while I think it is, I know others may not.

True, I really enjoyed the gameplay. I totally forgot that was a thing.

I'm not saying one list is the definitive necessity, but there needs to be a MINIMAL amount of playlists, no questions asked. If you read my original post you'd see that at the very most I suggest having 4v4, 2v2, and FFA ranked lists. Everything else is social.

Well to be fair there are minimal ranked lists.

Team Arena

Team Slayer

Breakout

FFA

SWAT

And everything else is unranked. There just happens to be zero "everything else."

:kappa:

Ya. I know.

I disagree.

79 other Halo players agree.

As do the millions playing every other competitive game with a properly implemented League/Division system.

There needs to be minimal ranked lists within the existing pool of playlists. Aka, Team Arena should be the only Ranked list to establish a competitive ecosystem for H5.

• Downvote (-1) 2

79 other Halo players agree.

As do the millions playing every other competitive game with a properly implemented League/Division system.

Holy shit 79 halo players agree. Stop the press.

You realise this place is an echo chamber right?

True, I really enjoyed the gameplay. I totally forgot that was a thing.

Random but I just checked your profile because I didn't recognize your username and I just want to say it's cool to see young kids that are into Halo. Back during Halo 2, Halo was THE game that teens played. Now, cod is that game and that's why there hasn't been any young talent breaking out into the pro Halo scene. But hey you're here so maybe there's hope for some more youngins to pick up the game and become the Snipedowns of Halo 5!

Typing that made me feel really old. Brb shining my cane.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Random but I just checked your profile because I didn't recognize your username and I just want to say it's cool to see young kids that are into Halo. Back during Halo 2, Halo was THE game that teens played. Now, cod is that game and that's why there hasn't been any young talent breaking out into the pro Halo scene. But hey you're here so maybe there's hope for some more youngins to pick up the game and become the Snipedowns of Halo 5!

This. I recommend shoe polish ,works wonders on mine.

There needs to be minimal ranked lists within the existing pool of playlists. Aka, Team Arena should be the only Ranked list to establish a competitive ecosystem for H5.

I agree with you on that but I think there should be 1 ranked list per "niche." Pretty sure you agree if I'm not mistaken..

1 ranked 4v4 list

1 ranked BTB list

1 ranked 2v2 list

1 ranked FFA list.

But considering we aren't getting 2 of these things at launch, I think only Team Arena and FFA should be ranked. Breakout, TS, and SWAT should all be unranked.

Well to be fair there are minimal ranked lists.

Team Arena

Team Slayer

Breakout

FFA

SWAT

The point of having a ranking system is to show overall skill. A SWAT Champion will not be as good as an HCS Champion, but to be fair, they are two different skills for two different experiences. On the other hand, I feel like an HCS Champion could get to the SWAT Champion rank while the reverse could not.

League of Legends works because they streamline the experience and have a huge population. The beginners, the casuals, the hardcore, and the pros all play the same game. These division rank systems work best with a large pool of players. If you spread things too thin, the ranking system becomes inaccurate.

The problem with Halo: Reach was that at one point, there were like 27 playlists and only ONE was ranked. Of course the Arena playlist wasn't going to do well in that scenario. There are many other reasons why the Arena in Halo: Reach failed, but I won't get into that now.

I feel 343 is on the right track, but I still feel there are too many options. Team Arena seems to be the best playlist for this system, but I can almost guarantee the population will flock to Team Slayer and SWAT. It's a shame that the objective game modes don't get much love when I feel that's when Halo plays at its best.

In the end, it's a design choice by the developers. They are balancing competitive integrity against a variety of experiences. Breakout is a new gametype so I expect a playlist for that. SWAT is one of the most popular playlists in Halo so I expect that to be around too. While I disagree with it personally, I understand the reasoning for it. If it were up to me, I would just have one ranked playlist and funnel everyone into that. Once again, that's just my opinion due to my interests when it comes to playing Halo. I'm sure some people just want to play SWAT and that's fine. I just want to play Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo needs new players. Sometimes I watch vods of Halo 2 and 3 and still today i see the same players. Sad thing is I don't personally know more than 2 people that are buying Halo 5 :(

Edit: That last part didn't make a ton of sense, what I meant was that I think people my age aren't as interested in Halo or console shooters in general.

@@Clicked yeah I completely get this. Did no one see the :kappa: in my post?! There's no way I think SWAT should be ranked at all. Team Arena alone covers the only 4v4 ranking we need IMO

I agree with you on that but I think there should be 1 ranked list per "niche." Pretty sure you agree if I'm not mistaken..

1 ranked 4v4 list

1 ranked BTB list

1 ranked 2v2 list

1 ranked FFA list.

But considering we aren't getting 2 of these things at launch, I think only Team Arena and FFA should be ranked. Breakout, TS, and SWAT should all be unranked.

While I entirely agree that there should be playlists for the niche audiences, I feel like things like BTB and SWAT not only have too small of a competitive audience, but they will deconstruct whatever competitive agenda the game/developer is trying to establish. If competitive Halo is defined as 4v4 gameplay, then having ranked lists outside of Team Arena would make that label meaningless. As @@Clicked said in his above post (well spoken), things need to be streamlined.

League of Legends competitive environment is 5v5 Classic Draft Pick

Call of Duty is 4v4 SnD + Respawn Objectives

CS:GO is 5v5 Defuse (I believe thats what the game type is called?)

Halo can't be 4 different competitive things at once. The individual experience may be competitive in itself, but the image of competitive Halo can't encompass all of those things.

@@Clicked yeah I completely get this. Did no one see the :kappa: in my post?! There's no way I think SWAT should be ranked at all. Team Arena alone covers the only 4v4 ranking we need IMO

I caught the Kappa if it makes you feel better haha

@@Clicked yeah I completely get this. Did no one see the :kappa: in my post?!

Yeah I saw it. Just decided to quote you when I was making my post.  :lxthul:

It's just frustrating seeing this ranking system get so close to being perfect. I'm sure we'll get there someday.  :prayers:

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Halo 5 console bundle because I can get it with a free copy of Fallout 4.

Now I'm laughing at myself because it would be the 2nd time I've bought an Xbox One just for a Halo game and I should have learnt my lesson the first time around.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm seriously contemplating getting a Halo 5 console bundle because I can get it with a free copy of Fallout 4.

Now I'm laughing at myself because it would be the 2nd time I've bought an Xbox One just for a Halo game and I should have learnt my lesson the first time around.

Any reason why you need a 2nd console?

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've pre-ordered Halo 5 and I'm all in, but what will keep me interested in playing Halo 5 a month or two from now when I've completed the campaign on Legendary and want a break from multiplayer? Will there be any daily or weekly activities that would get me back into the campaign? I'm sure there are commendations and achievements to chase, but it would be nice if there were reasons to jump back into the the campaign occasionally. Just curious.

While I entirely agree that there should be playlists for the niche audiences, I feel like things like BTB and SWAT not only have too small of a competitive audience, but they will deconstruct whatever competitive agenda the game/developer is trying to establish. If competitive Halo is defined as 4v4 gameplay, then having ranked lists outside of Team Arena would make that label meaningless. As @@Clicked said in his above post (well spoken), things need to be streamlined.

League of Legends competitive environment is 5v5 Classic Draft Pick

Call of Duty is 4v4 SnD + Respawn Objectives

CS:GO is 5v5 Defuse (I believe thats what the game type is called?)

Halo can't be 4 different competitive things at once. The individual experience may be competitive in itself, but the image of competitive Halo can't encompass all of those things.

Valid points. When I think about it, there probably are only a select few BTB players that really want it to have ranks. For the sake of discussion, While HCS is only 4v4 (as far as we know), FFA and 2v2 have always been "competitive environments" as you say. They have been featured at events and have had their own tournaments for as long as I can remember.

Instead of comparing Halo to League or CS where competitive play is done in one specific way, I think a comparison to Smash is more applicable. In a world where Smash had a ranking system, I guarantee there would be outrage is team's wasn't ranked. 2v2 is always played at Smash events. With that said, along with your points, I believe that Team Arena, FFA, and eventually Doubles should be the only ranked playlists in Halo 5. They are all competitive environments and Doubles and FFA are both very accessible if you want to play ranked but don't want to play Team Arena without a to4.

• Downvote (-1) 1