CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm happy they're getting copies early so that I get to watch good gameplay up until release. I definitely see your point though because if I was competing, I'd be furious. If you plan on competing your best bet is to watch and learn and really analyze gameplay

I mean I can wait 7 days that's whatever to me. I don't even want to compete but I do enjoy a healthy competition and this isn't how you do it. I see your point tho

If there's a tournament 1 or 2 months (local or major) in they're going to have a strong advantage by grinding really hard that week before and they'll easily get good placement in the first few seasons. New faces need to start coming up and this isn't helping at all. I'm bored of watching Ogre 2, Ace, Pistola, Lbox, Roy, etc maybe I'm a casual viewer but I don't care for watching those same players. New players and crazy upsets are much more interesting to me. it is hype as hell when a nationally nobody team (by that I mean only locals support the players) beats a top team in an open bracket, it's the same thing when a top 8 team beats a top 8 team. it puts the team on the map, they become a tournament threat and if they can ride that hype they can place real high which is way more entertaining to me than the same people over and over. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah man I'm just going to probably give up on it then.

nah don't give up. its not as incredibly hard as you may think it is tbh. Trust me I know lol. Halo 3 and 4 are a piece of cake. Halo 2 you just need patience because there are checkpoints literally everywhere so you have room for error. Halo CE may give you a little trouble because it isn't as generous with checkpoints but at least you can have a partner so there's that. 

Wait top players are getting the game early? Wut?

Unpopular opinion but why are Pros getting an early copy on Thursday? Any early event the top players are going to have an easy early advantage. Yall complained so much on MLG Dallas 2014 when players got the game early but aren't salty about this? wtf? They're going to have a week advantage and you know these guys are going to have 24+ hours ahead the rest of the game, share info between themselves only and get easy placements once the game launches because they already figured out day 1 strategies BEFORE the game comes out. Seriously, I'm not interested in watching top players I've been seeing since fucking 2007 or so (for the most part) , it's boring as all hell. This isn't helping the players below the top 8 to get ahead. You should be helping competition grow, not let the same players who are at the top get an even MORE advantage. At least in my opinion, Halo is incredibly boring to watch. No new players, no new faces for the most part, etc. Seriously. there is barely any player growth. I mean there's some but for the most part its just the same people and you're solidifying that even more by letting them have it early? why?

This is like letting Daigo get SFV a week before everyone else, or letting Zero grab the new smash game before the rest of the community, or Formal grabbing Black Ops 3 before the rest of the players, etc.

You know I was thinking the same thing. When early copies went out my first thought was "if any competitive player gets this they will have an unfair advantage". So when I saw who got the copies I was relived. How beer, if this is true then this craps on any form of fairness in the system. Top players are already top players, now they give them even more of an advantage? Come on now.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone else really happy we have a ranked FFA playlist? I mean, even though Truth isn't in the playlist, at least its slayer only!

If it's 6 players with radar I'll be happy.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Another one falls victim to the hype train, I'm proud of my own skepticism with this launch. Although that Star Wars trailer pretty much converted me so where I gain in one area I lose in another.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It would have been if MLG settings were the same as the default settings.

No it wouldn't have because some people like to play FFA, doubles, snipers, BTB etc.

I get what you guys are saying, and yeah I guess it is an advantage.

However, and maybe it's just me that sees it this way, but this will be a pretty big moment for H5. 4 and MCC were the last taste of 343 that a lot of people got. Think about that. With that being said, they're gonna be pretty skeptical of H5 in general, especially multiplayer. If they see a bunch of top players not only successfully playing games without connection problems/search time issues, but having fun and playing some relatively competitive games, they're going to be much more convinced than if they see the regular IGN or whoever review. 

I understand that top players may get a few days head start and advantage. But, and this is just my opinion, showing off a good multiplayer, getting people hyped about the game, showing that things work how they should, is a bit more important. If the community doesn't stay like what happened in Halo 4, then you're going to be seeing the same names at the top no matter what advantage they had or didn't have because there will be no one else playing.

That's just my outlook on it all though.

The two biggest reason people have left Halo are broken mechanics and lack of a good ranking system. I'm just ecstatic that we are finally getting ranked playlists back and on top of that maybe the best ranking system Halo has ever seen. I'm not totally against another social playlist such as a "team training" that others have mentioned. They could make it a 4v4 mix of slayer and objective gametypes. I just don't want 343 to look at this as "hey, they'd rather have social so let's switch a bunch of the ranked playlists to social". I think using a second account to play with lower skilled friends is an easy solution, but I guess you don't think so?

They don't need to switch any of the playlists over to social. What is there, 4 arena playlists? They could easily add 3 or 4 social playlists without effecting MM times.

How is playing on a secondary account going to fix anything? All it's going to do is artificially inflated my friends' ranks and put us in games against opponents that are out of their league.

The spartan company things are better than expected.

+in game will be a good addition I can see a lot of people liking it.

I hope that it will actually have some uses other than just holding a roster. Maybe integrated clan battles? I hope that you can level up your company by the number of wins it has like for example one company could be Diamond Rating and another can be Onyx.

The spartan company things are better than expected.

+in game will be a good addition I can see a lot of people liking it.

Eh, it's alright so far. I wonder if they'll show stats, like an accumulation of all company players  i.e. K/D of the company (etc. 

Dude, people were going to move to CoD regardless. Arena games are out of style because the barrier to entry is simply far too high for casual gamers, especially with an impatient generation that expects immediate gratification.

Look at the servers for UT, Quake and all the other Quake clones and tell me you don't see a very obvious pattern.

I can give any of my friends a control and have them jump into a server in CoD and rack up at least a few kills.

Give a controller to a friend and throw them into Halo and they get obliterated by some of the crappiest players I've ever seen.

Halo was popular for years because it was the only FPS worth playing on console. What other console FPS were even half way decent? We had the abortion that was Perfect Dark Zero, UT3 which was never going to take off on a console and dumbed down Battlefield games that were 10X's better on PC.

Then along comes CoD which runs at a smooth 60FPS, has far more complex level design, is easy as hell to pick up and play, allows you to find games incredibly quickly, ONLY rewards you and never punishes you regardless of how bad you are, gives you almost unlimited character customisation, allows joining games that are already in progress and on top of that it has an addictive progression system that was probably designed by the same people who program slot machines.

I believe Halo is the superior series, but if any of my casual gaming friends asked me which game to buy I would NEVER recommend Halo over CoD.

You've gone too far.

If that's the purpose why didn't they just show some footage from the actual pro team throughout development? Like other competitive video games are doing like SFV. Don't give us a lot of info, but just a little to have us theorize things

God waypoint is shit. Half the time I try to use it it doesn't work.

I see that sticky on the butt screen as often as the screen i'm trying to reach.

God waypoint is shit. Half the time I try to use it it doesn't work.

I see that sticky on the butt screen as often as the screen i'm trying to reach.

Yup that site is utter shit man. It's a pain in the ass trying to set up my stuff with my friends.

Yup that site is utter shit man. It's a pain in the ass trying to set up my stuff with my friends.

if they're on waypoint they're not your friends...
  • Upvote (+1) 7

if they're on waypoint they're not your friends...

Haha that's funny. None of is have actually been on that site until today. We just joined to make a spartan company. Don't worry, I don't think I will ever make a friend on that website, let alone play matchmaking with them.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, going to be doing some site maintenance tonight.

Need to prep for the halo 5 launch. The site will be down during this time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys, going to be doing some site maintenance tonight.

Need to prep for the halo 5 launch. The site will be down during this time.

Good luck, we're all counting on you. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

If that's the purpose why didn't they just show some footage from the actual pro team throughout development? Like other competitive video games are doing like SFV. Don't give us a lot of info, but just a little to have us theorize things

HAHAA. SF actually goes in depth and releases frame data. Liek, the actual FRAMES IT TAKES FOR EACH MOVE and for counters. Don't expect 343i to go that in depth. If they can't tell us a simple percentage of aim-assist or bullet magnetism then they aren't gonna tell us more.  

screen568x568.jpeg

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No it wouldn't have because some people like to play FFA, doubles, snipers, BTB etc.

Irrelevant. If everyone has 50s in Doubles, FFA, Snipers, BTB, SWAT, etc. then no one can say they have a 50 in Halo.

If I tell you I'm Diamond in League of Legends, it carries weight and means something.

HAHAA. SF actually goes in depth and releases frame data. Liek, the actual FRAMES IT TAKES FOR EACH MOVE and for counters. Don't expect 343i to go that in depth. If they can't tell us a simple percentage of aim-assist or bullet magnetism then they aren't gonna tell us more.

screen568x568.jpeg

To be fair they didn't release that info until post release. Any frame data I've seen on /r/streetfighter and SRK for SFV has been from the community and maybe combo fiend mentioning it. Nerfs and buffs are usually the community playing it through events and mainly WSO sessions. I see what you're saying though but 343 should have shown at least some footage