CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I'm just waiting a week till Halo 5. Hype boys (unless you are in the crowd of not hyped and aren't getting day one) 

The hype is killing me at this point. It will kill me even more when I get home at midnight and have to install the disc and download updates.

The hype is killing me at this point. It will kill me even more when I get home at midnight and have to install the disc and download updates.

So you should be ready to play by about 11pm tuesday right?  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 3

So should I delete my current company since beyond is going to create another one or in case the member cap gets raised?

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I remember when Microsoft first introduces Xb1, where you have to download the whole game from the disc first into your XB1 which is bounded to your account. 

Imagine that still applies WITH the first day patch.

So should I delete my current company since beyond is going to create another one or in case the member cap gets raised?

I'd keep your current one until that happens. Just me though.

Halo is objectively a competitive game. Shields, everybody starting with the same weapons, strafing, knowledge of weapon spawns and times, and securing map control make it that.

COD owes a lot of it's success to Halo's failure. Millions of Halo players left Halo for COD because Halo went to hell. COD would still be successful, but not nearly as much so if Halo would have kept releasing quality titles and doing so every 2 years.

What do you mean people don't like playing in a ranked environment? To them, I say cry me a river and build me a bridge. Halo 5's ranking system is the best we've had since Halo 2, if not better.

Warzone is a great replacement for social playlists. It's perfect for all the kids who just want to mindlessly drive around in mongooses or want to go afk for the first couple of minutes and then quit and hop onto Netflix. Halo has lost a lot of popularity since 2010, thanks to Reach, the 4, and MCC, so the Halo's population these days can't sustain a ton of social playlists like it could in the glory days of H2/H3. Besides, guests are gone so there really is no need for social anymore.

People want competitive Halo back. Halo 5's ranking system does that. Halo's playerbase currently is a very small % of what it was in the H2/H3 glory days. Millions of people left Halo as it became a joke. Advocating for social over ranked makes about as much sense as advocating for sprint.

Think about it. All dedicated servers, a deep ranking system, no more noobs and guests as teammates or opponents, quit and AFK penalties, no more armor abilities....this game is a dream come true.

You're missing the point that he's making.

There's nothing wrong with having a competitive game at its core, something that we've all wanted. Halo 2 worked so well because there was no mechanical changes in any playlist. You had options of what to play based on who you were playing with.

If I wanted to play with my friends who sucked, I could jump into Team Training with them. Not having to worry about the end result. Has Cooper said, if you have friends that vary in skill, you are being forced to play Warzone or make a second account.

Both of which are a problem. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Accidental neg, sorry :(

COD owes a lot of it's success to Halo's failure. Millions of Halo players left Halo for COD because Halo went to hell. COD would still be successful, but not nearly as much so if Halo would have kept releasing quality titles and doing so every 2 years.

Halo's failure has absolutely nothing to do with CoD's success.

CoD is successful because:

• It's a modern day military shooter which has better market appeal than a Sci-Fi universe, especially in the US where every 2nd person owns a gun featured in the game.
  • It's incredibly forgiving for casual gamers. Even the worst player in the world can easily rack up at least a few kills thanks to instant kill weapons.
  • It's uses progression to get the player addicted to player through constant challenges and unlocks.

Those loud noises you hear every time you complete a challenge and level up?

They emulate slot machines.

The multiplayer is completely designed around being as addictive as possible. They employ psychologists FFS.

Even if Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4 had all been better and better, the appeal of a modern military shooter where a player can get 10 kills a game just by camping with a shotgun in a corner was always going to be more popular than a game that had longer kill times and required better aiming.

The only way Halo could ever compete with CoD for population is if they took shields away.

You're missing the point that he's making.

There's nothing wrong with having a competitive game at its core, something that we've all wanted. Halo 2 worked so well because there was no mechanical changes in any playlist. You had options of what to play based on who you were playing with.

If I wanted to play with my friends who sucked, I could jump into Team Training with them. Not having to worry about the end result. Has Cooper said, if you have friends that vary in skill, you are being forced to play Warzone or make a second account.

Both of which are a problem. 

I get what he is saying, I just don't want to see any ranked playlists reduced to social. Back in the H2/H3 glory days, the population could sustain a bunch of ranked and a bunch of social playlists. 2010-2015 has been the dark age for Halo though and a lot of people have moved on completely from Halo. Hell, I've been stuck on Reach Big Team for 5 years to fill my Halo addiction as there hasn't been a suitable alternative. My point is that not nearly enough people play Halo nowadays to justify a ton of ranked and social playlists. If we have to have one or the other, I most definitely want ranked. If they want to have a team training playlist consisting of slayer and objective gametypes in addition to Warzone and the weekend social playlist, then I wouldn't have a problem with that. Just don't take away the ranked playlists we are getting. Also, I don't see a big problem with Warzone for social as everything is involved in there or playing on a second account as switching accounts is quick and simple on Xbox One.

To be honest I never imagined you as a casual.

Im casual in the sense that I don't really pay attention to tournaments or streams.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Halo's failure has absolutely nothing to do with CoD's success.

CoD is successful because:

• It's a modern day military shooter which has better market appeal than a Sci-Fi universe, especially in the US where every 2nd person owns a gun featured in the game.
  • It's incredibly forgiving for casual gamers. Even the worst player in the world can easily rack up at least a few kills thanks to instant kill weapons.
  • It's uses progression to get the player addicted to player through constant challenges and unlocks.

Those loud noises you hear every time you complete a challenge and level up?

They emulate slot machines.

The multiplayer is completely designed around being as addictive as possible. They employ psychologists FFS.

Even if Halo 2, 3, Reach and 4 had all been better and better, the appeal of a modern military shooter where a player can get 10 kills a game just by camping with a shotgun in a corner was always going to be more popular than a game that had longer kill times and required better aiming.

The only way Halo could ever compete with CoD for population is if they took shields away.

I wouldn't say nothing. Halo was the most popular game in it's glory days of Halo 2/Halo 3, so about a 4-5 year run as the "go-to" game. By around 2009 Halo 3 had gotten stale and people were either ready for a new Halo game with fresh graphics, updated physics, less lag and etc or they were ready to move on to a different game. Since Reach didn't come out until 2010 and introduced gamebreaking mechanics to Halo, hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people defected from Halo and moved to Call of Duty. It's kind of like when everyone left myspace for facebook. Would they have made the switch if Bungie had released Halo 3.5 in 2009? I think not.

To this day, I still have never played a Call of Duty game and still don't see any appeal in the game whatsoever. I don't understand how anyone can find a gimmick filled, random, low skill gap game addicting.

Halo is objectively a competitive game. Shields, everybody starting with the same weapons, strafing, knowledge of weapon spawns and times, and securing map control make it that.

What do you mean people don't like playing in a ranked environment? To them, I say cry me a river and build me a bridge. Halo 5's ranking system is the best we've had since Halo 2, if not better.

Warzone is a great replacement for social playlists. It's perfect for all the kids who just want to mindlessly drive around in mongooses or want to go afk for the first couple of minutes and then quit and hop onto Netflix. Halo has lost a lot of popularity since 2010, thanks to Reach, the 4, and MCC, so the Halo's population these days can't sustain a ton of social playlists like it could in the glory days of H2/H3. Besides, guests are gone so there really is no need for social anymore.

People want competitive Halo back. Halo 5's ranking system does that. Halo's playerbase currently is a very small % of what it was in the H2/H3 glory days. Millions of people left Halo as it became a joke. Advocating for social over ranked makes about as much sense as advocating for sprint.

Think about it. All dedicated servers, a deep ranking system, no more noobs and guests as teammates or opponents, quit and AFK penalties, no more armor abilities....this game is a dream come true.

Damn, are ever pighead. You do realise that people who are not you can like and dislike different things than you do right?

Saying warzone is sufficient to cover all the needs of everyone who wants to play in an unranked environment is akin to saying having the MLG list as the only ranked list in H3 would have been sufficient.

You're right... Burnie is the man.   :kappa:

tumblr_miqbp1fldo1qff92vo1_250.gif

It's Bernie..... 

that Burnie is also the man.