CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

You're forgetting not everyone lives in a region with hundreds of thousands of Halo players online at once.

If a To4 could only ever match against a To4 Aussies and Kiwis would never get a game or play the same players 10 games in a row.

Ping and skill is far more important than party size when it comes to match making.

So just have party size on in areas where applicable.

why can't people understand what he said, jesus christ

Matching with parties of equal numbers is obviously priority but its not going to happen everytime. Sounds reasonable to me

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's a tuning parameter that can be adjusted based on match quality and wait times.

Thanks for popping in and clarifying this; it was a concern I had after the matchmaking Waypoint blog.

From the look of the menus and comments those with media copies of Halo 5 have made, it would appear that Campaign scoring, timing and Theater won't be present at launch. Are these features that 343i will consider adding post-launch?

@@Sal1ent

Speaking of which, do you know if File Share will be in at launch? I'm assuming not because of Forge not being there until December.

If not, will it be in when Forge comes?

I'm hoping it's an actual file share with a search rather than having to add people and looking through theirs. This was a problem in MCC, as I'm sure you know. ;P

@@Sal1ent

Speaking of which, do you know if File Share will be in at launch? I'm assuming not because of Forge not being there until December.

If not, will it be in when Forge comes?

I'm hoping it's an actual file share with a search rather than having to add people and looking through theirs. This was a problem in MCC, as I'm sure you know. ;P

I was about to ask about that. In an early build, there was a menu option called "File Browser", but it seemed to be for local files. I would guess an actual File Share would indeed make an appearance with Forge's launch, but I dunno. 

I was about to ask about that. In an early build, there was a menu option called "File Browser", but it seemed to be for local files. I would guess an actual File Share would indeed make an appearance with Forge's launch, but I dunno. 

One can only hope. This is why I added in the information about MCC as well. It would be absolutely annoying to have to add a bunch of people for files/gametypes/maps when a search option is obviously the better choice.

Here's an example of a Quick Tips video. Once again, short, simple, and to the point.

Ah, I love such videos. I can frequently sit for many hours straight figuring out nades, strats and taccs for CS:GO, post them to /r/CSGO_Nades and see them used by pro teams the next tournament. Definitely going on a binge on these; thanks for sharing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ah, I love such videos. I can frequently sit for many hours straight figuring out nades, strats and taccs for CS:GO, post them to /r/CSGO_Nades and see them used by pro teams the next tournament. Definitely going on a binge on these; thanks for sharing.

Great to know :) Thank you!

Just watched The Sprint series from start to finish in a single sitting and loved it. Also the music in this game sounds phenomenal

This guys sounds like Ben Stiller from Zoolander

I do agree with his video

LOL. He really does.

You're assuming that unranked means no skill-based matchmaking in effect. Even without visible ranks, matchmaking should be solving for like skill. And if it didn't, you're overlooking the fact that the situation you are trying to solve for your wife (having her get frustrated playing against Diamond+ skill players) is the same one you are wishing on the people she would prefer to play against with you. In that case, YOU would be the Diamond+ player romping on someone else and HIS wife, frustrating the shit out of them.

Matchmaking will do its best to find the best combination of skill between teams w/ a wide range of talent. But it's not an easy problem to solve and usually winds up with lower caliber talent getting frustrated.

You are massively underestimating the negative effect having only ranked playlists will have on this game.

Even if the exact same matchmaking systems were in place in an unranked playlist as you'd find in a ranked playlist people would be less frustrated in the unranked session.

When I play with my wife or lesser skilled friends in an unranked settings we lose a lot. But it's okay, because it's unranked. Im not losing any of the rank progression I mad through hours of play.

Essentially because this game only has ranked playlists in arena I can't play arena unless im with people my own skill level(and probably a part of 4 because you guys apperently have no idea what party restrictions are).

Like i said you are either totally ignorant of these issues or, more likely, you are aware of these issues and are purposely creating them to force people into warzone.

When it's put that way I kind of have to agree, but disagree. Of course its purely my opinion but I'd honestly have multiple rank play lists simply because of the variety of experience to work towards. Over the years of playing this game I've mainly stuck to the "competitive" play-lists. That being said I've played against some players who don't excel in that playlist, yet in something like BTB or even doubles they will shit on me simply because these gametype variants have their own defined meta. 

This is where a game like LoL has an advantage over a game with many many different game types. The way I see it, and feel free to disagree bc I don't pretend that what I say is universal, is that in a game like Halo, or CoD, or any other FPS with multiple game modes (CTF, Slayer, Strongholds, and Breakout in H5's case) the solution would be a single playlist with all of these game modes in it that is ranked. So all the 4v4 variants from slayer to ctf to breakout would be in the list, making it a necessity to know how to play all that the game has to offer that is being used in the professional scene. Any game mode in this playlist would have its own social playlist to allow experimenting, playing with friends, not taking it seriously, or actually just practicing a specific gametype without worrying about losing games while trying new tactics out. To try and illustrate that leaves us with:

Playlist: Ranked Arena (HCS)

Playlist: Slayer

Playlist: Obj (Ctf, strongholds, + whatever else is down the pipeline)

Playlist: Breakout

This gives you the chance to practice specifically your weak points as a player, and then go into the "end-all-be-all" playlist to fight it out with others to climb the ladder. The social playlists can offer a progression system of being ranked like CoD has that will keep the casual players just as busy as competitive players are about skill-rating. In my playlist world the "unranked" playlists would use the same ranking system behind the scenes and be completely invisible, just like playing normals in LoL.

BTB and Warzone should be completely separate and I AM ALL FOR A RANKED BTB as well as a social BTB. I've seen a stream of a competitive BTB tourney going on for H4 and it was actually pretty good to watch, not my cup of tea to play mind you, but people enjoy it and more power to them. Not only that, but it allows larger groups of friends (5+ obviously) to play together in a ranked environment if they enjoy the larger maps and bigger scale of battle.

Curious what your take on setting it up like this is, and what disadvantages it creates that I might be overlooking.

Honestly can't watch that Super Throw vid. Groundbreaking, yes, but holy shit I cringe when I watch my old videos. They are so bad.   :wutface:

Why do you have to remind me of one of the worst decisions regarding halo 4? hurt then, hurts now.

Don't worry. I tried doing commentary once. I deleted the vid. I have a very Southern accent and I get very embarrassed by it

In a market offering a service or product that is unique and differentiates itself from its competitors is key for its success.

Southern accents are sexy, as long as its understandable (as in it doesn't require subtitles to understand) you should be perfectly fine.

Yeah I get that. Removing ranks from a bunch of lists is one way to deal with the issue. The other is letting the players decide which play list to care about when it comes to CSR. Maybe that's Team Arena for one person and Team Slayer (or even Breakout!) for another. Preserve the list you care most about and play socially in the others. Or go full try hard and refuse to play social in any list unless using a secondary account (easy on XB1).

You can't be serious. This is some of the worst logic I have ever seen. There is so much wrong here that I don't even know where to begin.

So.

Even though you've done all this work with req packs to encourage account attachment. You are saying I should make an alt account to play with anyone who is lesser skilled than I?

Ya. That'l go over well.

"Hey. Give me a sec I just need to sign on to my other account before I play with you"

"Why?"

"Because you're too bad to play with on my real account"

"asshole"

"ok. I'll stay on this account but we have to play breakout"

"Why? I don't like that"

"because that's my designated play with shitty friends playlist"

"asshole"

"im also going to have to play like an idiot because if I play normally during our placement matches i'll end up carrying you into a division that is too much for you"

"ok. I don't like you anymore."

"Oh sweet I finally got that awesome helmet I wanted. On my "playing with shitty friends account", yayyyy....."

• Upvote (+1) 1

That H2A Forge map looks dope. Too bad there was pretty much no File Browsing in MCC.

It was really really hard to download gametypes and maps from users, I wonder how it'll work in H5.

Yeah I get that. Removing ranks from a bunch of lists is one way to deal with the issue. The other is letting the players decide which play list to care about when it comes to CSR. Maybe that's Team Arena for one person and Team Slayer (or even Breakout!) for another. Preserve the list you care most about and play socially in the others. Or go full try hard and refuse to play social in any list unless using a secondary account (easy on XB1).

Wait, are you telling people to play socially in playlists where others are try-harding? I really don't think that is the answer and will breed a ton of discontent among players who are trying their damnedest to win and to rank up while people on their team are just going for kills in CTF or strongholds.

Really bad precedent to set telling people that's the workaround. My enjoyment, or another's, shouldn't be hindered by another person or myself playing fuck off time in a ranked playlist where the other person is try harding to win. This is THE WORST part about league of legends. You play ranked and someone trolls or goes afk or feeds intentionally and it ruins the entire game and you are punished for it. I'm fine with losing but if the playlist is ranked I expect everyone to be playing their best in that game to win.

Wow.....

So pretty much party of 4 or play warzone.

So much for trying to go balls to the wall for esports. You have to foster the competitive spirit within the game for people to imitate their professional player(s) and team(s) of choice. This means separating the try hard playlists from the social playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cortana to reemerge in Halo 5 by taking over a sexy enemy robot body and then hook up with Chief's shuttle pilot

THIS IS A NO SPOILERS THREAD, FUCKING THANKS NOW THE WHOLE GAME IS RUINED

With Halo 5 around the corner, I feel this is appropriate to share.

"And I know you're threatening to leave me, you've found a man you're going to wed.

But I'm sorry y'all will never gonna get married because now he plays Halo with me instead"  :goat:

• Upvote (+1) 3