CyReN

Halo 5: Guardians Discussion

I think I'm the opposite, I really prefer commentaries as long as that person has some sort of value to add to the gameplay. I really like in depth and insightful videos. I'm sure a lot of commentaries can be lazy, but I'm surprised to find you think all commentaries are lazy and not entertaining. What do you feel is your best work? I'd like to see that.

I feel that commentaries over an entire match become very dull. A lot of times, it's filled with useless information or random nonsense that's not relevant to the viewer. Personally, I'm proud of all of the videos I've made since rebooting the channel back in May. Feel free to watch anything and give me your feedback. In regards to commentaries, however, I do have my own twist on that in Beyond Rewind. Instead of breaking down an entire game, I go in depth with a single play or two to help teach players new tactics.

Here's an example of a Quick Tips video. Once again, short, simple, and to the point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I found the screenshot. Neutral flag is faded, so there are more items on the list. I guess we will have to wait till the 22nd to find out. Also, this is an older build.

Thanks for finding it.

I've tried watching some of his videos (specifically his most popular ones) and they were just kind of bland. Not really funny...just don't get it. 

Not surprised. His style of humor only works on people who are tickled by "out of nowhere" antics.

I think being successful on YouTube and promoting competitive Halo are hard to balance. I suppose Beyond is doing a good job, but Maniac and Flamesword didn't surpass 70k and 150k subs respectively by posting "H2A Scrims vs Denial Game 1". It's pretty much all Vlogs and real life content. The problem with analysis of gameplay, no matter how good, is that it caters to such a small niche--the die hard competitive players wanting to improve--it's gonna get lower numbers inherently.

This guys sounds like Ben Stiller from Zoolander

I do agree with his video

He also sounds like a South Park character

@@Sal1ent

If you have to time to respond (or anyone else if this was already stated in this thread, I'm like 800 pages in the dark) can you please hear me out?

Now, I know you've stated several times in this thread about how much you learned from Halo 4, but I'm hoping you honestly take a nice good look at the matchmaking and at least consider making matchmaking restrictions.

There was a reason a lot of people revere Halo 3's Matchmaking system as one of the greatest of all time on consoles because the matchmaking portion of was damn near flawless.

Using your stance on a lot of decisions like adding Breakout to HCS, can you at least try matchmaking restrictions out? And if no one likes it, then stop -- Almost verbatim what your take was.

Don't take this post as cynicism because it's really not. It's purely constructive criticism by the overwhelming majority of Halo players both Casual and Competitive.

• Teams of 4 vs Teams of 4. Period. No ifs, ands, or buts. The population will be more than substantial enough to handle this should this game come out with little to no issues.
  • Teams of 3 + 1 Solo vs Teams of 3 + 1 Solo (some leniency like Teams of 3 + solo vs 2 teams of 2 would be acceptable IMO. If anyone else has thoughts, chime in).
  • Mixed Teams of 2/Solos vs Mixed teams of 2/solos.
I will say I'm not a fan of month long seasons, but for this ranking system, for it to be respected, teams of 4 cannot match random parties like you see in the Master Chief Collection. At least for ranked matches. This is by far one of the biggest reasons excluding properly skilled based matchmaking why that dodging epidemic started in MCC. The games are just too unfair and people would rather quit then get stomped. Yes, I'm aware of the ban hammer system you all have set in place and I'm happy for that! But fair matches needs to start here.

I hope you (or someone if this has been confirmed) responds.

Biasing heavilty towards these matches is something we agree with. It makes sense. Hard and fast rules (4s vs 4s ONLY, no exceptions) are problematic. Particularly when you need to take skill, regional location, etc into account.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I feel that commentaries over an entire match become very dull. A lot of times, it's filled with useless information or random nonsense that's not relevant to the viewer. Personally, I'm proud of all of the videos I've made since rebooting the channel back in May. Feel free to watch anything and give me your feedback. In regards to commentaries, however, I do have my own twist on that in Beyond Rewind. Instead of breaking down an entire game, I go in depth with a single play or two to help teach players new tactics.

Here's an example of a Quick Tips video. Once again, short, simple, and to the point.

Damn, that was some actual useful info. I'm surprised you were able to read that guys movements when it happened for like half a second in realtime. Usually I get tunnel vision and ignore stuff like that as the match goes on

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think being successful on YouTube and promoting competitive Halo are hard to balance. I suppose Beyond is doing a good job, but Maniac and Flamesword didn't surpass 70k and 150k subs respectively by posting "H2A Scrims vs Denial Game 1". It's pretty much all Vlogs and real life content. The problem with analysis of gameplay, no matter how good, is that it caters to such a small niche--the die hard competitive players wanting to improve--it's gonna get low numbers inherently.

Not to take away from their work but being on OpTic helps tremendously when looking to start a channel.

Damn, that was some actual useful info. I'm surprised you were able to read that guys movements when it happened for like half a second in realtime. Usually I get tunnel vision and ignore stuff like that as the match goes on

Well, I've been competing for almost 10 years so this thought process is somewhat natural to me at this point. You start to notice little details and try to think what the enemy players are thinking, ya know? The difference between the best and the average isn't raw skill with the BR or strafe, it's more or less how much you know. The little things add up a lot. That's why every game counts when you want to improve. :)

Not to take away from their work but being on OpTic helps tremendously when looking to start a channel.

For sure. They definitely got that OpTic juice. 

Biasing heavilty towards these matches is something we agree with. It makes sense. Hard and fast rules (4s vs 4s ONLY, no exceptions) are problematic. Particularly when you need to take skill, regional location, etc into account.

Wait, so is it implemented? 

I'm guessing that's a priority? like TO4 will match TO4

..but if there seriously are no other team of 4 on, you'll get matches with TO3+Solo 1,

next, and if no TO3, then

TO2 + Solo+ Solo  or TO2 + TO2....

until it hits all Solos.

Wait, I'm sorry. Your wording were little bit confusing, any chance you can make it little bit more clear on if we will have it or not?

So I'm assuming it's problematic due to search times, as a result of these factors? I feel once again this issue correlates to the number of ranked playlists in the game. To increase population and search times, I know I'm not alone in that I'd rather have all of these be hard rules just like Halo 3 and have only a couple ranked playlists than a bunch where the rank in the given playlist becomes seemingly less significant due to imbalanced matches.

Honestly can't watch that Super Throw vid. Groundbreaking, yes, but holy shit I cringe when I watch my old videos. They are so bad. :wutface:

Don't worry. I tried doing commentary once. I deleted the vid. I have a very Southern accent and I get very embarrassed by it

By which you mean his League ones, which I think it a bad gauge for how creative he can be, personally. But to each their own

Actually I specifically avoided his League ones since I watched his "done with League" video. 

Show thought.

Now that I think about it, why are TDM (Slayer for Halo people) modes still a thing? There's very little chance of a turnaround for the losing team.

If you're down 30 versus 45, chances are the team with more kills is gonna win. Meanwhile, it's very possible to turn a game around in a 0 to 2 CTF or a 100 to 195 KotH match given the right strategy and smart choices.

So I'm assuming it's problematic due to search times, as a result of these factors? I feel once again this issue correlates to the number of ranked playlists in the game. To increase population and search times, I know I'm not alone in that I'd rather have all of these be hard rules just like Halo 3 and have only a couple ranked playlists than a bunch where the rank in the given playlist becomes seemingly less significant due to imbalanced matches.

You're forgetting not everyone lives in a region with hundreds of thousands of Halo players online at once.

If a To4 could only ever match against a To4 Aussies and Kiwis would never get a game or play the same players 10 games in a row.

Ping and skill is far more important than party size when it comes to match making.

Show thought.

Now that I think about it, why are TDM (Slayer for Halo people) modes still a thing? There's very little chance of a turnaround for the losing team.

If you're down 30 versus 45, chances are the team with more kills is gonna win. Meanwhile, it's very possible to turn a game around in a 0 to 2 CTF or a 100 to 195 KotH match given the right strategy and smart choices.

1. Who cares if they can't turn the game around? The better team won, that's all that matters.

2. You can definitely turn a TS game around. I've seen tournament games swing back from -15 kills. It's definitely possible and it happens quite often.

It's a tuning parameter that can be adjusted based on match quality and wait times.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Actually I specifically avoided his League ones since I watched his "done with League" video.

Eh, he's not for everyone. His style of randomness is genuinely funny, not like Pewdiepie or Tobuscus, but I can understand why you might not like him

Show thought.

Because that's the game. It's shooting people. Can't imagine a console "arena" shooter not having a DM gametype.There's decision making, setups, and map control involved just as in any other gametype.

You can argue that it's a weak link as far as gametypes go, but it won't be removed in a billion years.

It's a tuning parameter that can be adjusted based on match quality and wait times.

So as time goes on with the game if the population drop or increases or skill rank gaps become bigger there'll be fixes for it that aren't downloaded by a patch? Fine by me

So initially it will try to match To4 with To4 and after a while it will just match anyone?

The latter. Forge and custom games go together like peanut butter and jelly. 

Or even better.... Burger and fries :)